Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1893 Old 09-18-2011, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought Avatar in 3D and yes its really good. Probably 1st best. Step Up 3D is a VERY close 2nd though! none of the other films compare to these 2. Not even close!!!!

Cant find 'under the sea' here in the UK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1893 Old 09-18-2011, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just finished watching Despicable Me. Still considering Open Season the best 3D animation movie seen so for. Waiting for Megamind & Avatar to arrive and test them. I'm really curious about Avatar, if it looks at least as in cinemas (IMAX) then it will be a joy watching, although I don't like the movie that much.
post #453 of 1893 Old 09-18-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexuts2oo4 View Post

Just finished watching Despicable Me. Still considering Open Season the best 3D animation movie seen so for. Waiting for Megamind & Avatar to arrive and test them. I'm really curious about Avatar, if it looks at least as in cinemas (IMAX) then it will be a joy watching, although I don't like the movie that much.

Whats despicable me like? Tangled is better than open season Best movie is Stepup 3D, next to avatar for 3D reasons.
post #454 of 1893 Old 09-18-2011, 05:54 PM

Under the sea
Step it up 3D
Thor
Tangled
Rio
Bolt
Hubble
post #455 of 1893 Old 09-18-2011, 08:38 PM

Tattybear - buy under the sea from Amazon in the USA. It is region free - I live in Australia (same region as UK) and bought under the sea from Amazon US and it works great!
post #456 of 1893 Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 AM

I lost my job a while back and kinda fell off with checking this site. Things are better now. Anyway...

Looked at the 3D Blu-Ray release date thread and OMG are there a lot out/coming out that I had no idea about!

Anybody see The Nightmare Before Christmas 3DBR?? I think I have to buy it, regardless of any positive/negative reviews (haven't read any yet). Finally mailed in my rebate for Avatar. Highly excited about that as well as Nightmare and Lion King! Just to name a few...
post #457 of 1893 Old 09-19-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoldier11 View Post

I lost my job a while back and kinda fell off with checking this site. Things are better now. Anyway...

Looked at the 3D Blu-Ray release date thread and OMG are there a lot out/coming out that I had no idea about!

Anybody see The Nightmare Before Christmas 3DBR?? I think I have to buy it, regardless of any positive/negative reviews (haven't read any yet). Finally mailed in my rebate for Avatar. Highly excited about that as well as Nightmare and Lion King! Just to name a few...

Hi... I'm not a professional reviewer or anything, but I posted my impressions on the NBC 3d blu-ray here, and my thoughts on the Lion King 3d theatrical release here.
post #458 of 1893 Old 09-19-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Hi... I'm not a professional reviewer or anything, but I posted my impressions on the NBC 3d blu-ray here, and my thoughts on the Lion King 3d theatrical release here.

Thank you, much appreciated. Cheers
post #459 of 1893 Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post

I went back and watched UTS and yes it does leap out a good amount from the screen. But there's also this white creature towards the end of the documentary (while some under the sea kinda song playing in the background) who jumps out and seemingly "kisses" you. That was jaw dropping too.

That's a species of Australian seal (not to be confused with US Navy SEALs).

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #460 of 1893 Old 09-20-2011, 09:59 AM

Just watched Lichtmond 3D (translation Moonlight 3D) last night and was very impressed by the picture and sound. This film very much reminded me of the Minds Eye series. I really felt that it made my Home Theater reach some 3D and PQ potential for the first time. I liked Grand Canyon Adventures 3D Quality to the similar level but the Audio on this was superior (My EV's were Singing) even if I couldn't understand half of it, being it was in German. If you need something to showcase your home theater that's not as much a teen movie as Step Up 3D then "Buy This Disc". Don't think you will be disappointed.
post #461 of 1893 Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Liked: 13
Great. Just when I decide to pull the trigger on REA, after reading all the consistently good to great reviews here, I see that amazon has marked it up from its usual price of below $25 all the way to $40! What the.....I've never seen a jump that big on any of these movies. $3-5 either way, sure. But not a 60-70% markup when it's been at or below $25 forever. No way I'm buying it at that price.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause that significant a price jump?
post #462 of 1893 Old 09-20-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

Great. Just when I decide to pull the trigger on REA, after reading all the consistently good to great reviews here, I see that amazon has marked it up from its usual price of below $25 all the way to $40! What the.....I've never seen a jump that big on any of these movies. $3-5 either way, sure. But not a 60-70% markup when it's been at or below $25 forever. No way I'm buying it at that price.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause that significant a price jump?

A lot of the 3d movies jumped in price on Amazon recently. Nightmare before Christmas went from like $31 to $38 a week or two before it's release.
post #463 of 1893 Old 09-20-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL View Post

A lot of the 3d movies jumped in price on Amazon recently. Nightmare before Christmas went from like $31 to $38 a week or two before it's release.

Do you think this could have something to do with the US$? Compared to other currencies it hasn't been doing too well. I live in Australia and have seen the cost of things go down for us due to our $ being higher than the US$ - perhaps this works in reverse in the US? Just a thought...
post #464 of 1893 Old 09-20-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajleske View Post

Do you think this could have something to do with the US$? Compared to other currencies it hasn't been doing too well. I live in Australia and have seen the cost of things go down for us due to our $ being higher than the US$ - perhaps this works in reverse in the US? Just a thought...

I have no idea why, but it sucks. DVD for $15, Blu Ray for $25 and 3d blu ray for $35+ is really starting to push it. I don't mind a little extra for 3d, but let's not get greedy/carried away here.
post #465 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 92
a little OT but can someone explain to me how cable provider's (FiOS for example) 3D movies compare to 3D Blu-rays...a lot of cable providers have free 3D movies OnDemand for subscribers to HBO for example...I have FiOS and they have Megamind 3D, Avatar 3D, Yogi Bear 3D etc available for free...Megamind 3D looked really good but I'm wondering if the resolution or other aspects of the picture have been downgraded for cable TV
post #466 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

a little OT but can someone explain to me how cable provider's (FiOS for example) 3D movies compare to 3D Blu-rays...a lot of cable providers have free 3D movies OnDemand for subscribers to HBO for example...I have FiOS and they have Megamind 3D, Avatar 3D, Yogi Bear 3D etc available for free...Megamind 3D looked really good but I'm wondering if the resolution or other aspects of the picture have been downgraded for cable TV

What format are these 3D films being broadcast in? If side-by-side or top/bottom then the resolution is about 1/2 of blu-ray quality.

Sensio 3D is the only frame compatible format that can provide a virtually blu-ray quality picture. Unfortunately as of today only Vizio 3DTVs have the capability to decode this format and there is limited content available in the Sensio format. The company has promised a new Sensio VOD offering this fall however to increase the available content.
post #467 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BD uses frame-packed... cable/sat providers use side-by-side (SBS) or top-and-bottom (TnB). SBS/TnB effectively cut the horizontal or vertical resolution in half to fit both views into a single broadcast frame.

http://www.spectracal.com/3D%20Video%20Basics2.pdf
post #468 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

BD uses frame-packed... cable/sat providers use side-by-side (SBS) or top-and-bottom (TnB). SBS/TnB effectively cut the resolution in half to fit both views into a single broadcast frame.

also add to that...BD has a HUGE bandwidth (up to 48Mbps) advantage and IP Cable services use the MAXIMUM compression they can get away with. The HD movies on cable are probably closer to 6Mbps data rate. Another plus is BD (usually) has lossless audio and even the lossy audio is at a much higher data rate (DD is 640Kbps on BD and probably less than 360Kbps on cable).

*Frame Packed is decoded to over/under which is a full resolution 1920x1080 field for each eye (each frame is 2205x1080 (45 blanking)).
post #469 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post

What format are these 3D films being broadcast in? If side-by-side or top/bottom then the resolution is about 1/2 of blu-ray quality.

Sensio 3D is the only frame compatible format that can provide a virtually blu-ray quality picture. Unfortunately as of today only Vizio 3DTVs have the capability to decode this format and there is limited content available in the Sensio format. The company has promised a new Sensio VOD offering this fall however to increase the available content.

Quote:

BD uses frame-packed... cable/sat providers use side-by-side (SBS) or top-and-bottom (TnB). SBS/TnB effectively cut the horizontal or vertical resolution in half to fit both views into a single broadcast frame.

when I turn to the ESPN 3D channel there are 2 identical images on the top and bottom of the screen (this is in 2D mode before putting on the 3D glasses) so I'm assuming this is TnB

when watching the free 3D movies (HBO 3D) they are displayed side-by-side...I don't know why FiOS uses both TnB and SBS but I'm thinking that it's up to the broadcast provider which 3D method they use

that's pretty impressive that the 3D image still looks really good despite the resolution being cut in half...I can only imagine how much better the 3D Blu-ray will look...in terms of the 3D effects I'm assuming that they will be the same on both cable TV or Blu-ray
post #470 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Unless I'm way off in terminology (disclaimer, I very well may be), Directv's 3D is stereoscopic...as in the picture just looks distorted like a 3DBR. PQ is decent, I don't know that I've seen the same title on both Directv and 3DBR though. I imagine there's a decent loss in PQ, but there's also a lot of exclusive programming that looks rather nice if not pretty darn impressive. I also don't get 3D movies on demand for my premium channels, but I have friends in the area with Comcast and Fios that do (though they are side by side or top/bottom).
post #471 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoldier11 View Post

Unless I'm way off in terminology (disclaimer, I very well may be), Directv's 3D is stereoscopic...as in the picture just looks distorted like a 3DBR. PQ is decent, I don't know that I've seen the same title on both Directv and 3DBR though. I imagine there's a decent loss in PQ, but there's also a lot of exclusive programming that looks rather nice if not pretty darn impressive. I also don't get 3D movies on demand for my premium channels, but I have friends in the area with Comcast and Fios that do (though they are side by side or top/bottom).

As I understand it, DirecTV uses SBS or TnB like other broadcasters; the difference is some of their boxes have been upgraded to hdmi1.4 and can trannsmit the 3d metadata to your display, which means it should switch into 3d mode automatically (instead of you having to select it in the menu). That's why it jumps right to the "double-picture" (it isn't broadcast that way).
post #472 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:

As I understand it, DirecTV uses SBS or TnB like other broadcasters; the difference is some of their boxes have been upgraded to hdmi1.4 and can trannsmit the 3d metadata to your display, which means it should switch into 3d mode automatically (instead of you having to select it in the menu). That's why it jumps right to the "double-picture" (it isn't broadcast that way).

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Well, at least it's got convenience going for it. Lol
post #473 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I was never a big fan of 3D in the theater but for some reason it looks a lot better at home on my 55" VT30...I don't know if the 3D technology got better or if it just looks better on a smaller screen but I'm now a fan

I just watched the first 15 minutes or so of The Final Destination 3D (2009) and wow that had some amazing 3D effects...the kind that reach out of the set into your living room...had some decent depth to it but the in-your-face 3D effects really were impressive

one scene had a screw flying off the back of a race car right into your face...so far this goes on the top of my list of best 3D Blu-ray movie
post #474 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
3D in the theater is VERY dim.
post #475 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:

I was never a big fan of 3D in the theater but for some reason it looks a lot better at home on my 55" VT30...I don't know if the 3D technology got better or if it just looks better on a smaller screen but I'm now a fan

I just watched the first 15 minutes or so of The Final Destination 3D (2009) and wow that had some amazing 3D effects...the kind that reach out of the set into your living room...had some decent depth to it but the in-your-face 3D effects really were impressive

one scene had a screw flying off the back of a race car right into your face...so far this goes on the top of my list of best 3D Blu-ray movie

It's my impression that a lot of people prefer 3D at home - I know I'm one of them. I'm sure there are issues like incompetent or cheap theater owners compromising the 3D quality for some viewers at the theater, but I think the underwear factor has some value. Nothing like watching a 3D home theater on your own couch.
post #476 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddicted View Post

It's my impression that a lot of people prefer 3D at home - I know I'm one of them. I'm sure there are issues like incompetent or cheap theater owners compromising the 3D quality for some viewers at the theater, but I think the underwear factor has some value. Nothing like watching a 3D home theater on your own couch.

Agreed. I'm so happy I bought my 3D TV back in January. Watching 3D Blu rays is amazing. Heck I even enjoy watching 3D cable and 3D streaming content.

Side note - Is it just me or was the 3D in the Thor 3D Blu ray really underwhelming?
post #477 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddicted View Post

True dat!
post #478 of 1893 Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddster25 View Post

Agreed. I'm so happy I bought my 3D TV back in January. Watching 3D Blu rays is amazing. Heck I even enjoy watching 3D cable and 3D streaming content.

Side note - Is it just me or was the 3D in the Thor 3D Blu ray really underwhelming?

It was underwhelming, not you
post #479 of 1893 Old 09-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So far I have watched the following animation movies in 3D: A turtle Tale: Sammy's Adventures; Legend of the Guardians; Gnomeo and Juliet; Rio; Despicable Me; Tangled; Open Season; Animals United; Ice Age 3 and I would like to rank them, maybe it will be helpful to someone.

As Demo-Material I choose Sammy's Adventures, when it's about the pop-out effects, which are many and very good throughout the whole movie (the crab scene and the one with the pink jellyfish in the dark are the first which come to mind). But for the best over-all 3D experience (depth, detail, colors, (almost) no crosstalk and ghosting) I play Legend of the Guardians and Open Season. These two, although lacking pop-up effects, I consider to be the best examples for 3D (the slow-motion flying scenes and especially the battle ones in Legend of the Guardians are spectacular).

Climbing down the ladder, I would say that Tangled, Animals United and Despicable Me deliver, in this order, great 3D performances. Although it has great 3D, I would not advice you to buy Animals United, first of all, because it is very very very boring and secondly, it's also not full screen. Better to buy Tangled/Despicable Me, which are fun movies, full-screen and you will enjoy re-watching them over and over again, especially in 3D.

Pretty far behind them, I place Gnomeo and Juliet and behind it, Rio.

At the bottom-end I would place Ice Age which I found to be almost like the 2D version, but veeeeryyy disturbing for my eyes.

Tomorrow I will watch Megamind; curious where will it fit.
post #480 of 1893 Old 09-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexuts2oo4 View Post

So far I have watched the following animation movies in 3D: A turtle Tale: Sammy's Adventures; Legend of the Guardians; Gnomeo and Juliet; Rio; Despicable Me; Tangled; Open Season; Animals United; Ice Age 3 and I would like to rank them, maybe it will be helpful to someone.

As Demo-Material I choose Sammy's Adventures, when it's about the pop-out effects, which are many and very good throughout the whole movie (the crab scene and the one with the pink jellyfish in the dark are the first which come to mind). But for the best over-all 3D experience (depth, detail, colors, (almost) no crosstalk and ghosting) I play Legend of the Guardians and Open Season. These two, although lacking pop-up effects, I consider to be the best examples for 3D (the slow-motion flying scenes and especially the battle ones in Legend of the Guardians are spectacular).

Climbing down the ladder, I would say that Tangled, Animals United and Despicable Me deliver, in this order, great 3D performances. Although it has great 3D, I would not advice you to buy Animals United, first of all, because it is very very very boring and secondly, it's also not full screen. Better to buy Tangled/Despicable Me, which are fun movies, full-screen and you will enjoy re-watching them over and over again, especially in 3D.

Pretty far behind them, I place Gnomeo and Juliet and behind it, Rio.

At the bottom-end I would place Ice Age which I found to be almost like the 2D version, but veeeeryyy disturbing for my eyes.

Tomorrow I will watch Megamind; curious where will it fit.

MM was awesome.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Life by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page