Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #481 of 1882 Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Member
 
supersoldier11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Legend of the Guardians lacks popout? I will politely disagree.
supersoldier11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 1882 Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Member
 
alexuts2oo4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoldier11 View Post

Legend of the Guardians lacks popout? I will politely disagree.

When I said it lacks popout, I meant it lacks popout effects like the one in Sammy's Adventure; those seem to be really in front of you, you get the feeling you can touch them, grab them. Such effects are lacking in Legend of the Guardians. But this is only my opinion.
alexuts2oo4 is offline  
post #483 of 1882 Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
MentalDistortion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexuts2oo4 View Post

When I said it lacks popout, I meant it lacks popout effects like the one in Sammy's Adventure; those seem to be really in front of you, you get the feeling you can touch them, grab them. Such effects are lacking in Legend of the Guardians. But this is only my opinion.

i havent watched legends of the guardians yet, but sammys adventure is full of a lot of depth and pop out.
MentalDistortion is offline  
post #484 of 1882 Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Member
 
alexuts2oo4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've kept reading all these reviews of Ice Age 3D which claim it to be very very good in terms of 3D, but I can't understand all the fuss about it. When I play it, I notice this annoying, eye-hurting effect, which I don't know how to describe, but it is most noticeable when the characters are moving .. the character's image it's not that clear, especially around the edges and it becomes also a little brighter. Same thing happens when I run Gulliver's travels. Besides these two, all other 3D blu-rays I own/seen, do not present this problem. Could anyone confirm/infirm this "effect" by these movies ? Could it also be possible that I got a bad copy of the Ice Age ?
alexuts2oo4 is offline  
post #485 of 1882 Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Member
 
jimmyj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The storm scene in Legend of the Guardians along with the blu-bird chase scene are my demo fav's. The blu bird popout scene always gets the same 'holy crap I can't believe I just saw that' reaction from guests. Sammy's snake in a tree is just awesome. You can pause it and move around the room and the snake follows you really up close!! Some other great scenes are.....

Resident Evil - Axe: 1:06
Guardians blue bird - 0:24 Storm-0:57
Sammy's Snake in Tree 0:46 (scene 5)
Alice Cat 0:28 (chapter 6)
under the sea potato fish 0:21
jimmyj2 is offline  
post #486 of 1882 Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wnielsenbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It is fun watching people at the lantern scene in Tangled. The lanterns are right out in front of you and about to hit the water so everyone reaches out to lift them up. Very cool. Plus it is an excellent movie.
wnielsenbb is offline  
post #487 of 1882 Old 09-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
eddster25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 View Post

The storm scene in Legend of the Guardians along with the blu-bird chase scene are my demo fav's. The blu bird popout scene always gets the same 'holy crap I can't believe I just saw that' reaction from guests. Sammy's snake in a tree is just awesome. You can pause it and move around the room and the snake follows you really up close!! Some other great scenes are.....

Resident Evil - Axe: 1:06
Guardians blue bird - 0:24 Storm-0:57
Sammy's Snake in Tree 0:46 (scene 5)
Alice Cat 0:28 (chapter 6)
under the sea potato fish 0:21

And the scene in Step Up 3D where the girl with the red and black gloves is dancing. It literally looks like she's in my living room!
eddster25 is offline  
post #488 of 1882 Old 09-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Newbie
 
poonab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

trying to find a good 3d film as have mixed reactions at what ive seen so far.

been looking for the imax under the sea film and found some cheap listings on ebay, are they legal or should i avoid like the plague?
poonab is offline  
post #489 of 1882 Old 09-27-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
johnsmith808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It's it possible to watch Sammy's Adventure on a US Playstation 3?
johnsmith808 is offline  
post #490 of 1882 Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Member
 
palmeiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chatsworth, CA
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

It's it possible to watch Sammy's Adventure on a US Playstation 3?

Sammy's Adventures is region locked so answer is no.

I agree with others on that movie though. 3D "effect" is top notch. Possibly the best one out there. And I watched 95% of all 3D blu-ray movies out there. Just a personal opinion.
palmeiro is offline  
post #491 of 1882 Old 09-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Member
 
alexuts2oo4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 View Post

The storm scene in Legend of the Guardians along with the blu-bird chase scene are my demo fav's. The blu bird popout scene always gets the same 'holy crap I can't believe I just saw that' reaction from guests. Sammy's snake in a tree is just awesome. You can pause it and move around the room and the snake follows you really up close!! Some other great scenes are.....

Resident Evil - Axe: 1:06
Guardians blue bird - 0:24 Storm-0:57
Sammy's Snake in Tree 0:46 (scene 5)
Alice Cat 0:28 (chapter 6)
under the sea potato fish 0:21

How is Alice in Wonderland overall as 3D experience?

The Snake Scene in Sammy's Adventure is awesome and so are the scenes mentioned by you from Legend of the Guardians, although I find the storm scene, especially the slow-motion sequence, much better than the blue-bird chase.

Also, another question for those of you who have seen them, are Monster House, Saw Final Chapter 3D or Drive Angry worth buying?
alexuts2oo4 is offline  
post #492 of 1882 Old 09-28-2011, 03:30 AM
Member
 
tbuick6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got the Italian release of Sammy's Adventure and it is region free. Definitely best pop out of any release thus far.

"To Live Outside The Law You Must Be Honest"
tbuick6 is offline  
post #493 of 1882 Old 09-28-2011, 06:38 AM
Member
 
supersoldier11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
+1 for the awesomeness of the blue-bird scene in Legend of the Guardians. Snow storm as well. Fight scene too I think, it's been a while since I've seen it...
supersoldier11 is offline  
post #494 of 1882 Old 09-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Member
 
bandit7319's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexuts2oo4 View Post

How is Alice in Wonderland overall as 3D experience?

The Snake Scene in Sammy's Adventure is awesome and so are the scenes mentioned by you from Legend of the Guardians, although I find the storm scene, especially the slow-motion sequence, much better than the blue-bird chase.

Also, another question for those of you who have seen them, are Monster House, Saw Final Chapter 3D or Drive Angry worth buying?

I've got all 3, and between them I would saw Saw 3D is the least impressive, by far. I don't recall any pop out scenes. Drive Angry has good depth throughout the whole movie, I can't remember any big popout scenes though. However, since each scene has great depth, I think it's a pretty good one. The movie is just pure dumb action, but that's fun hehe. I really enjoyed Monster House, and it had some good pop in it too. Of the op of my head, I'm thinking of a shadow towards the beginning, a tongue made from a carpet, slinkies in the basement, and a dynamite scene. Also, of all the animated movies I've seen (3D and non-3D), i think Monster House's visuals are just amazing overall
bandit7319 is offline  
post #495 of 1882 Old 09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Member
 
alexuts2oo4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit7319 View Post

I've got all 3, and between them I would saw Saw 3D is the least impressive, by far. I don't recall any pop out scenes. Drive Angry has good depth throughout the whole movie, I can't remember any big popout scenes though. However, since each scene has great depth, I think it's a pretty good one. The movie is just pure dumb action, but that's fun hehe. I really enjoyed Monster House, and it had some good pop in it too. Of the op of my head, I'm thinking of a shadow towards the beginning, a tongue made from a carpet, slinkies in the basement, and a dynamite scene. Also, of all the animated movies I've seen (3D and non-3D), i think Monster House's visuals are just amazing overall

Thank you for your answer. I'll order Monster House tonight. What about Alice 3D? I've seen it in cinema and I was disappointed at that time. Is the blu-ray though good in terms of 3d?
alexuts2oo4 is offline  
post #496 of 1882 Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Member
 
jimmyj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexuts2oo4 View Post

Thank you for your answer. I'll order Monster House tonight. What about Alice 3D? I've seen it in cinema and I was disappointed at that time. Is the blu-ray though good in terms of 3d?

I remember being very surprised at how good Alice looked. Plus the trip it provides is worth keeping it in the collection, will be watching again at some point and I don't often watch a movie twice or more.
jimmyj2 is offline  
post #497 of 1882 Old 09-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Member
 
bandit7319's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexuts2oo4 View Post

Thank you for your answer. I'll order Monster House tonight. What about Alice 3D? I've seen it in cinema and I was disappointed at that time. Is the blu-ray though good in terms of 3d?

Alice 3D is another one you should definitely buy. It's got good depth throughout the whole movie, and it also has a few great pop-out scenes. The two main ones I can think of, although I remember there being more, is when she's first entering the garden and there's a dragonfly and a flying rocking horse fighting. They look like they're totally in your living room lol. And then one of the greatest pop effects is at the end involving a sword battle. That's one scene that I still like to pause it and look at it and be like "whoaaaaaaaaaaaa" lol. Probably one of my favorite 3D movies.
bandit7319 is offline  
post #498 of 1882 Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Shagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

It's it possible to watch Sammy's Adventure on a US Playstation 3?

I watched this yesterday, so can confirm that the UK release of Sammy's Adventure will not play on a US PS3. The disc will show up in the playstation menu, but when you select it you get a screen saying that it will only play in Region B players.

There are ways around that, but not sure if such discussions are frowned upon here (given that the original disc was purchased legitimately).
Shagg is offline  
post #499 of 1882 Old 09-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Member
 
zfc6e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you PM me how to do this?
Thanks in advance
zfc6e is offline  
post #500 of 1882 Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
johnny905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit7319 View Post

Drive Angry has good depth throughout the whole movie, I can't remember any big popout scenes though. However, since each scene has great depth, I think it's a pretty good one. The movie is just pure dumb action, but that's fun hehe.

What about when the accountant flips his coin in the air? That's definitely a good pop out moment on my TV.
johnny905 is offline  
post #501 of 1882 Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 AM
Member
 
supersoldier11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alice in Wonderland is pretty awesome IMO. I have a Sony 52HX909. There are quite a few popout scenes and excellent depth throughout. It's a convert, if I'm not mistaken, but pretty darn good nonetheless. Off the top of my head (been a while since I watched) where Alice falls down the hole, and when the giant bird flies out of his nest are both great popout scenes...but I'm sure there are other great ones that are slipping my mind.

On a side note, this movie and other 3DBRs viewed INFINITELY better on my Panasonic SC-BTT770 (HTIB, but a high end standalone 3DBR Player would accomplish the same performance) vs. my PS3. Difference was night and day. Popout popped out more, and was much more clear especially in fast moving scenes like when Alice falls down the hole. Chad B calibrated my setup, I showed him the same scene via both players, and he agreed.
supersoldier11 is offline  
post #502 of 1882 Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 AM
Member
 
jimmyj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoldier11 View Post

Alice in Wonderland is pretty awesome IMO. I have a Sony 52HX909. There are quite a few popout scenes and excellent depth throughout. It's a convert, if I'm not mistaken, but pretty darn good nonetheless. Off the top of my head (been a while since I watched) where Alice falls down the hole, and when the giant bird flies out of his nest are both great popout scenes...but I'm sure there are other great ones that are slipping my mind.

On a side note, this movie and other 3DBRs viewed INFINITELY better on my Panasonic SC-BTT770 (HTIB, but a high end standalone 3DBR Player would accomplish the same performance) vs. my PS3. Difference was night and day. Popout popped out more, and was much more clear especially in fast moving scenes like when Alice falls down the hole. Chad B calibrated my setup, I showed him the same scene via both players, and he agreed.

Regarding the PS3 vs other players...very interesting. I was looking all over the place yesterday trying to find comparisons to the PS3's 3DBR performance but couldn't find anything substancial. I'm running the RS40 projector which doesn't have any depth adjustment, nor does the PS3. Definitely going to test some other 3DBR players and see what the deal is on my own setup. Here is a similar topic, would love to hear from anyone that has directly compared the PS3 to other players
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1346204
jimmyj2 is offline  
post #503 of 1882 Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddster25 View Post

And the scene in Step Up 3D where the girl with the red and black gloves is dancing. It literally looks like she's in my living room!

I've only had my 3D set for a short time, but this is the scene so far that gets my Oscar vote for best pop-out effect. My mom was literally dodging her from the couch when I demo'd that dance section.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is offline  
post #504 of 1882 Old 09-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Member
 
supersoldier11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 View Post


Regarding the PS3 vs other players...very interesting. I was looking all over the place yesterday trying to find comparisons to the PS3's 3DBR performance but couldn't find anything substancial. I'm running the RS40 projector which doesn't have any depth adjustment, nor does the PS3. Definitely going to test some other 3DBR players and see what the deal is on my own setup. Here is a similar topic, would love to hear from anyone that has directly compared the PS3 to other players
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1346204

Look no further than here: buy a Panasonic, and buy a 2011 model. Not sure what the difference in performance is with cheapest vs. most expensive, but top of the line surely couldn't hurt. Plus you get a free 3DBR Avatar via mail in rebate. If you buy from BB, you should get a 30-day return period opened or otherwise as well...but I'm sure you won't return it.

Another side note. I have not read reviews of 2011 Samsung's, Sony's, etc (3DBR players). I basically wanted a HTIB for my apt. and wanted Avatar on 3DBR without paying $100+ on eBay. The incredible performance of the player itself was completely unexpected and a HUGE bonus. I will never ever ever again watch any B-R 3D or otherwise on my PS3. Not because the PS3 is "bad", but because the Panny is so much better. Analogy time...

Panny 3DBR : PS3 as 3DBR :: Full array local dimming LED/LCD : Edge-Lit LED/LCD

Or for plasma fans lol...

Panny 3DBR : PS3 as 3DBR :: Fast moving action scenes/sports on Plasma : Fast moving action scenes/sports on LCD

Night and day...
supersoldier11 is offline  
post #505 of 1882 Old 09-30-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 19,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoldier11 View Post

Alice in Wonderland is pretty awesome IMO. I have a Sony 52HX909. There are quite a few popout scenes and excellent depth throughout. It's a convert, if I'm not mistaken, but pretty darn good nonetheless.

While the live action portions of Alice in Wonderland were converted from 2D, the CGI was all natively rendered in 3D. And that movie has CGI in just about every shot.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #506 of 1882 Old 09-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Member
 
supersoldier11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post


While the live action portions of Alice in Wonderland were converted from 2D, the CGI was all natively rendered in 3D. And that movie has CGI in just about every shot.

Good to know. I have a fairly small collection of 3DBRs, but this is one of my favorites no doubt.
supersoldier11 is offline  
post #507 of 1882 Old 09-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
eddster25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post


I've only had my 3D set for a short time, but this is the scene so far that gets my Oscar vote for best pop-out effect. My mom was literally dodging her from the couch when I demo'd that dance section.

I know right! I've yet to see anything that rivals it!
eddster25 is offline  
post #508 of 1882 Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Member
 
asubutler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Funny, I saw Alice for a good price on Ebay, and snagged it, then saw that people are loving it. Yeah me... Can't wait. Going to buy the HD3300 Optoma from AVS and get this thing setup.
asubutler is offline  
post #509 of 1882 Old 10-04-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubutler View Post

Funny, I saw Alice for a good price on Ebay, and snagged it, then saw that people are loving it. Yeah me... Can't wait. Going to buy the HD3300 Optoma from AVS and get this thing setup.

....so you bought a 3D BD on a whim and now all you need to do is buy a new projector to watch it on.
William is offline  
post #510 of 1882 Old 10-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
E-JTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post


....so you bought a 3D BD on a whim and now all you need to do is buy a new projector to watch it on.

This is a circular thing we are involved in.
E-JTL is offline  
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off