Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 1882 Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray105 View Post

...and nothing touches the Potato Cod scene as far as pop-out is concerned!

Really??!! I think that the Sea Snake from Sammy's Adventure came out a lot further then the Potato Cod from Under The Sea. I have both movies and IMHO, I think that Sammy's Adventure, blows Under The Sea away...in all aspects.

Under The Sea had more depth then pop out while Sammy's Adventure, for the most part, took place in the middle of my living room. An Awesome experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1882 Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

Really??!! I think that the Sea Snake from Sammy's Adventure came out a lot further then the Potato Cod from Under The Sea. I have both movies and IMHO, I think that Sammy's Adventure, blows Under The Sea away...in all aspects.

Under The Sea had more depth then pop out while Sammy's Adventure, for the most part, took place in the middle of my living room. An Awesome experience.

+1

I don't know how anyone compare the crappy under the sea with Sammy's....heck, I watched the ocean wonderland and there is sea snake that swims right into your eyes....pretty scary at it happens suddenly
post #663 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 07:03 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

+1

I don't know how anyone compare the crappy under the sea with Sammy's....heck, I watched the ocean wonderland and there is sea snake that swims right into your eyes....pretty scary at it happens suddenly

Funny how people see things differently. Has to be a combinations of things (display type, size, vision, etc).

For me, the snake scene was ok. It did pop out, but it was quick and blurry. A lot of Sammy was blurry to me. One of the things that ruins or distracts me in 3D pop-out (again imho) is when the pop-out goes beyond the edges of the screen. You have this thing floating out of the screen and then a sudden fall off to nothingness. Sammy seemed to have a lot of this.

3D at it's best (to me), is when you have that incredible depth, and the pop-out carefully used on items that don't go off the screen. I think the potato cod scene is the perfect example of this. It is so clear and the fish is just floating there inches from you, all the while you have that crazy depth in the background.

I don't understand how anyone can call Under the Sea crappy (for 3D effect) as it's #1 in my book, but to each their own!
post #664 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 07:15 AM

I haven't seen Sammy's Adventures but the Potato Cod from Under The Sea blew me away Guess I'll have to check it out.
post #665 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 AM

I think it depends also on display, 'cause on my setup, the snake is not blurred at all. Even if i hit pause, the snake is still clear.
post #666 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have a link to this Sammy's Adventure disc? All I see on Amazon are imports, unless I'm missing something. Seems I should check this thing out.
post #667 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
post #668 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

Anyone have a link to this Sammy's Adventure disc? All I see on Amazon are imports, unless I'm missing something. Seems I should check this thing out.

eddster25 posted here that he found it on Vudu. But I want to wait for the disk rather than down load and didn't see it in my initial quick search other than what you stated.
post #669 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk_Good View Post

eddster25 posted here that he found it on Vudu. But I want to wait for the disk rather than down load and didn't see it in my initial quick search other than what you stated.

Bummer. I'm not interested in streaming it, and I'd rather pass on the Hong Kong import, as long as a regular US version is available, somewhere, at some point.
post #670 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

Bummer. I'm not interested in streaming it, and I'd rather pass on the Hong Kong import, as long as a regular US version is available, somewhere, at some point.

Found another link for $31.41 Sammy's Adventure disc http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_detai...roductID=12014

I just finished reading this whole thread and I’m left with a short text doc of movies I’d like to get. After seeing many posts “what should I buy,” I thought it would be great for this thread with a title “Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects,” to be closed by a mod and either a long time member (or said mod) to post a new thread that can occasionally update a list of the best 3D movies in the original post. This could be from member recommendations and comments similar to this thread but the list added into the 1st post. At first I though the original poster could edit his post adding a list but seeing how div3r5ity (OP) has not been around since 12-06-10 10:39 PM I hope one of the Mods take me up on this. I’d find this approach more useful for someone that doesn’t want to go thru the whole thread or a new member that’s just looking for quick “best of” list of available content. Heck even an ongoing poll would be nice but unfortunately there’s the vbulletin poll limitations. BTW don’t shoot me, this is just one mans suggestion.
post #671 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

I just finished reading this whole thread and I'm left with a short text doc of movies I'd like to get. After seeing many posts what should I buy, I thought it would be great for this thread with a title Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects, to be closed by a mod and either a long time member (or said mod) to post a new thread that can occasionally update a list of the best 3D movies in the original post.

It's all subjective. There is no "Best". All you can do is read the posts, go out and buy the "Best" and learn from the experience. One person will love the depth and hate the gimmicks and the next person will take the opposing view. Good movies are hard to come by in the world of 3D. Your either buying a cartoon or some crap that has been doctored up with 3D to appeal to any yokul with a buck. Your best bet is to decide what you like, read the "opinions" and buy a movie.

post #672 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

It's all subjective. There is no "Best". All you can do is read the posts, go out and buy the "Best" and learn from the experience. One person will love the depth and hate the gimmicks and the next person will take the opposing view. Good movies are hard to come by in the world of 3D. Your either buying a cartoon or some crap that has been doctored up with 3D to appeal to any yokul with a buck. Your best bet is to decide what you like, read the "opinions" and buy a movie.

+1 agreed. Isnt it sad that the best scene is a potato cod in a documentry movie? I have been sucked into 300$ so far in 3d glasses to be wow'ed by a potato cod.

The only wow flic i have is the grand canyon imAX that has a floating bubble in the top menu. I have a few others but that is the best of them.
post #673 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Funny how people see things differently. Has to be a combinations of things (display type, size, vision, etc).

For me, the snake scene was ok. It did pop out, but it was quick and blurry. A lot of Sammy was blurry to me. One of the things that ruins or distracts me in 3D pop-out (again imho) is when the pop-out goes beyond the edges of the screen. You have this thing floating out of the screen and then a sudden fall off to nothingness. Sammy seemed to have a lot of this.

3D at it's best (to me), is when you have that incredible depth, and the pop-out carefully used on items that don't go off the screen. I think the potato cod scene is the perfect example of this. It is so clear and the fish is just floating there inches from you, all the while you have that crazy depth in the background.

I don't understand how anyone can call Under the Sea crappy (for 3D effect) as it's #1 in my book, but to each their own!

Ray, if you feel that Sammy's Adventure was blurry and the POP wasn't all that great, you need to seriously check out your system. Something is wrong somewhere.

Sammy, is reference quality material. It's tack sharp, beautiful colors and as I said previously, the movie for the most part takes place out of the screen and into your living room. The Sea Snake had to come out of the screen by at least 4 to 5 feet, and crystal clear the whole time.

My equipment consists of a Toshiba Passive TV and a Panasonic BDT-210 Blu Ray Player. In my opinion, it's the best 3D movie I've seen so far and that I own. And I have some of the best 3D movies out there.

So, again, please check out your system. Something doesn't seem right if this disc doesn't "POP" for you.

Can you try it on another system somewhere? Good luck.
post #674 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:

It's all subjective. There is no "Best". ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwrong View Post

+1 agreed. ...

I do not disagree, it is subjective but having to read through a huge thread just to put together a list takes a lot of time, a list, even a short one wouldn’t hurt. In fact it would be very helpful, a disclaimer of YMMV and stating it's subjective wouldn't be out of order
post #675 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do not disagree, it is subjective but having to read through a huge thread just to put together a list takes a lot of time, a list, even a short one wouldn’t hurt. In fact it would be very helpful, a disclaimer of YMMV and stating it's subjective wouldn't be out of order

Mileage varies on anything 3D. Read the post just before yours. We have one person not thrilled with a cartoon so the finger is pointed at his equipment. If you don't agree with an assessment, it obviously is your TV or your inability to perceive or assess quality 3D. All I can suggest is that you never buy, rent or watch Piranha 3D. That movie is reference for a crappy 3D and terrible movie. You will however find people here that thinks it's wonderful.

Edit: Watch this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1396172 if it ever gets going.

post #676 of 1882 Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:

... All I can suggest is that you never buy, rent or watch Piranha 3D. ...

lol, it didn't make my list of movies to buy, thanks for pointing me to that other thread.

Edit: I won't be posting there for a while as I'm in no hurry to buy 10 movies. The only two I have are under the sea and the ultimate wave
post #677 of 1882 Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwrong View Post

+1 agreed. Isnt it sad that the best scene is a potato cod in a documentry movie? I have been sucked into 300$ so far in 3d glasses to be wow'ed by a potato cod.

The only wow flic i have is the grand canyon imAX that has a floating bubble in the top menu. I have a few others but that is the best of them.

That was my favorite "show off" scene too, but I got "Journey to the Center of the Earth" the other day and watched a little bit to see if it worked. Lots of pop outs but I love the yo-yo scene where the kid loses control of the yo-yo and it hits you in the face then knocks over a bowl of plastic balls that bounce all over your room.
post #678 of 1882 Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 PM

I agree as well, I've been looking to find another movie that has the pop out effect as good/great as the potato cod (which to me is a grouper) but still haven't found one other than some of the other IMAX movies. I just watched Megamind from the recommendations off this thread and although I liked the movie I don't feel it had any spectacular pop out effects as good as the grouper. I'll have to give "Journey to the Center of the Earth" a try one of these days ...
post #679 of 1882 Old 02-26-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Rented Sea Rex 3D BD based on Widescreen Review's review of it saying it has a lot of pop outs. I'd say there were a few okay pop outs but not a lot and nothing that blew me away. Thumbs down. Glad I rented it and didn't buy it.
post #680 of 1882 Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 PM

Just watched my Immortals 3-D Blu ray. Thought it was pretty good use of 3-D AND audio! Not a huge amount of pop outs, but I think the 3-D was well done overall. They used the pop outs in places where it made sense, and not just for the sake of pop outs.
post #681 of 1882 Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Kung Fu Panda 2 is full of 3D greatness. Watched it with 6 others on my quaint 42 inch passive LG, and we all enjoyed the 3D and the movie itself immensely.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #682 of 1882 Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Gae

Quote:

For me, the snake scene was ok. It did pop out, but it was quick and blurry. A lot of Sammy was blurry to me.

There is a problem with some of the discs...with the one I had, the sides were out of sync with one eye coming in earlier than the other. The result was that all the moving objects were blurry while the backgrounds were still reasonably clear. Check yours isn't doing this...maybe that's what the blurriness is? I watched it throughout but it was very difficult and messed my eyes up. I've sent mine back as the box was damaged as well as this and I got a refund.

Gae
post #683 of 1882 Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post

There is a problem with some of the discs...with the one I had, the sides were out of sync with one eye coming in earlier than the other. The result was that all the moving objects were blurry while the backgrounds were still reasonably clear. Check yours isn't doing this...maybe that's what the blurriness is? I watched it throughout but it was very difficult and messed my eyes up. I've sent mine back as the box was damaged as well as this and I got a refund.

Gae

Thanks for the info. I actually purchased mine from VUDU on my PS3 though. I downloaded the the movie to the hard drive instead of streaming it. Wondering if the VUDU version differs from the blu-ray disc version?
post #684 of 1882 Old 03-08-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I actually purchased mine from VUDU on my PS3 though. I downloaded the the movie to the hard drive instead of streaming it. Wondering if the VUDU version differs from the blu-ray disc version?

The VUDU version (HDX) downloaded, ROCKS !
post #685 of 1882 Old 03-08-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2D3D View Post

The VUDU version (HDX) downloaded, ROCKS !

Yup, that's the one I have as well. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you in the same boat as me regarding this title (Sammy's Adventure)? Meaning - it was OK, but not blown away like many AVS members were.
post #686 of 1882 Old 03-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Yup, that's the one I have as well. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you in the same boat as me regarding this title (Sammy's Adventure)? Meaning - it was OK, but not blown away like many AVS members were.

As far as story line goes, its average at best.

first time I watched it, I wasnt blown away like others ( same board as you ) .
However, I did watch it again with some adjusted settings on both my TV and PS3 and I could truly see a lot more popout, like one part when Sammy gets a crab and his buddy pushes it out towards you and the damn crab is twirlin in middle of my living room.
I love popouts!
One movie I was disappointed with when it comes to popouts is Megamind. Its a good movie but I dont see many if any popouts, well maybe towards the end when the top of a skyscraper is coming towards you...
post #687 of 1882 Old 03-08-2012, 04:11 PM

I have read That tangled is one of the best 3d movies, however the scene everyone loves is apparently the lanterns. For me that is just really bright and difficult to focus my eyes on with that much going on in 3d. Anyone else have this or is it just me?
post #688 of 1882 Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

You're gonna hate me for saying this, but spy kids 4 is a really good 3D movie.
post #689 of 1882 Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

How could we hate an 8 year old girl

post #690 of 1882 Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

is there a lot of pop out moments?
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page