Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1892 Old 01-01-2011, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

Positively wrong. MY BLOODY VALENTINE was shot enirely in native 3-D. So were SAW 3D and SCAR.

If true (but MBV screenwriter Todd Farmer said it was actually filmed in 2-D, with 3-D in mind, and converted), they did a horrible job. The 3-D in that film was subpar. If you're right and it was actually filmed in 3-D (why would the writer claim it was filmed in 2-D, though?), why were most of the FX so tepid?

How was Saw 7's 3-D? I'm tempted to pre-order without seeing the movie first. Is it worth it (the 3D FX, not the movie itself)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1892 Old 01-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Liked: 10
Watched Despicable Me Blu-Ray 3D last night and it has gone to my number one spot. Best all around 3D immersion and pop out. Although I don't normally enjoy animation, I was drawn into the story of the cute little orphan girls.
post #63 of 1892 Old 01-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I've never seen any reference to anyone involved with MBV stating it was converted; quite the opposite in every article I've ever seen. It was shot with the earlier generation Red camera. Also, while everyone is entitled to an opinion, the general consensus was the the 3-D was fairly effective.

I thought of a few more recent native 3-D horror films; NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 3D, HAUNTING OF WINCHESTER HOUSE, THE FINAL DESTINATION, THE CHILD'D EYE and the in production FINAL DESTINATION 5. So you see there have been quite a few so far.
post #64 of 1892 Old 01-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Avatar is overall the best IMO from the ~10 I have seen. Open Season is probably 2nd and maybe Under the Sea 3rd. Polar Express/A Christmas Carol is up there as well. Alice In Wonderland is great as well.............hell all of them have been good, but these seem to stand out more than the rest from what I have seen.

As far as single best 3d effect it would be a close call between the Potato Cod fish in Under The Sea and the M&M/Orange bouncing off your face in IMAX Space Station.

Again though, that is just out of what I have seen. Between ton and tom I will watch Resident Evil and Grand Canyon so the list might change.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #65 of 1892 Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

So far step up 3d has the best 3d pop out effect and depth that I have seen. I have watched christmas carol, bolt and the 4 shrek movies so far
post #66 of 1892 Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 AM

If and when it becomes available for all..... Avatar Blu Ray 3D is fantastic!
post #67 of 1892 Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1978 View Post

If true (but MBV screenwriter Todd Farmer said it was actually filmed in 2-D, with 3-D in mind, and converted), they did a horrible job. The 3-D in that film was subpar. If you're right and it was actually filmed in 3-D (why would the writer claim it was filmed in 2-D, though?), why were most of the FX so tepid?

How was Saw 7's 3-D? I'm tempted to pre-order without seeing the movie first. Is it worth it (the 3D FX, not the movie itself)?

Pretty sure this was shot in 3D. This interview with the director talks about it.

This is not just a regular movie. You shot it in 3D. I know that in the old days doing a movie in 3D was an arduous process, and the cameras in particular were a pain to use. Have things changed?

Things have changed. It's technically much easier - it's still not easy, mostly because of the size of the gear. You're not shooting with one camera, you're shooting with two that are slaved together in perfect synchronization and one is shooting into a mirror and one is shooting through a mirror and you're adjusting the depth as you're getting the shot. It's complicated, but it's so much better than it used to be, which is why the viewing experience is better than going back to things like Jaws 3D, because that technology was a much more painful process. This, we had two main characters, an A and B camera; the B camera was an older version that was used to film the T2 3D ride, and the A rig was much smaller and leaner and was finished the day before we started production. Basically we tested it on day one. And it worked beautifully.

http://www.chud.com/articles/article...-3D/Page1.html

Anyways, FX isn't a good indicator of a 2D-3D conversion. Ususally the FX will be CG so those elements normally look better due to the existing 3D model. Easy way to tell is by looking at the edge of objects within a scene and also people's faces in a live action movie. 3D conversions can have a strange warping effect here. The better conversions like Alice or Mummies 3D can still have an unnatural pop-up book look in the live action footage.
post #68 of 1892 Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blit184 View Post

If and when it becomes available for all..... Avatar Blu Ray 3D is fantastic!

I bought the new _3D a Christmas Carol,Monster House,Cats &Dogs revenge of Kitty Galore, these fine and probably even more popular for loss . what I'm really craving is some non animated 3D movies . They biggest disappointment with the new 3D technology is there clearky is very little movies to choose from out there currently.
post #69 of 1892 Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieb81 View Post

I bought the new _3D a Christmas Carol,Monster House,Cats &Dogs revenge of Kitty Galore, these fine and probably even more popular for loss . what I'm really craving is some non animated 3D movies . They biggest disappointment with the new 3D technology is there clearky is very little movies to choose from out there currently.

Kitty Galore?
post #70 of 1892 Old 01-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Dumb response, I know... But Avatar is keeps and bounds ahead of everything else I have seen thus far on 3D BD. Just incredible

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #71 of 1892 Old 01-02-2011, 06:32 PM

I just bought a 82in Mitsubishi 3D TV and I saw the Legends Of The Guardians The Owls Of Ga'Hoole 3D. It was great. I've watched it 5 time and I'm getting ready to watch it again. It was a wow experience for me and my family. My next 3D movie will be Resident Evil AfterLife. I can't wait. This was a great investment for me.
post #72 of 1892 Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 AM

Yes,it's a spy action adventure in 3D very funny movie if you like animals & humor.
post #73 of 1892 Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 AM

[quote] " Cats& Dogs Kitty Galore"[/QUOTE ]

Yes,it's a spy action adventure in 3D very funny movie if you like animals & humor.
post #74 of 1892 Old 01-03-2011, 02:52 PM

How to Train Your Dragon, best film on 3DBD (in general)
Avatar, Best Overall (effects included) clique story like HTTYD but not much heart
post #75 of 1892 Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightblk View Post

I just bought a 82in Mitsubishi 3D TV and I saw the Legends Of The Guardians The Owls Of Ga'Hoole 3D. It was great. I've watched it 5 time and I'm getting ready to watch it again. It was a wow experience for me and my family. My next 3D movie will be Resident Evil AfterLife. I can't wait. This was a great investment for me.

The computer graphics on this movie were truly awesome in non-3D. If you actually look at the detail on the feathers and various other items in the movie you will just be in awe. Can't wait to buy it and in 3D.

My Stuff:
Sam HL67A750 and Pan BDT-350 / HL61A750 and BDT-210
Viewsonic PGD-150 / IO system glasses & IR emitter / 3DTVcorp Gen2 emiter / x102 blue. *SSG1000
IR and DLP Link together :)
post #76 of 1892 Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joels1010 View Post

I like grand canyon the best, the 3d in that one really pulled me into the documentary. Also, the opening credits with the water bubbles were really cool!

The bubble scene truly helped me validate my 3D was setup correctly with my samsung. The spilt images on the bubbles was huge and I was just amazed when you have it setup right the images merge that well and the 3D effect is stellar! WoW.

My Stuff:
Viewsonic PGD-150 / IO system glasses & IR emitter / 3DTVcorp Gen2 emiter / x102 blue. *SSG1000
post #77 of 1892 Old 01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone help me out in regards to a correct setup? I have my samsung 8000 plugged into my samsung receiver with the 1.4 hdmi cable. I watched the fiesta bowl on espn 3d last night and it was pretty tight! My question is do I need another 3d hdmi for my 3d bluray player (haven't gotten it yet) to plug into the receiver in order to watch 3d movies? I should mention that I had a standard hdmi cable plugged into my comcast cable box to my receiver while watching the game last night. Is that correct? I still got 3d but perhaps it could have been better with a 3d hdmi? Im new to posting and apologize if this is the wrong thread to post a question like this but I saw someone mention correct setup and thought this was appropriate. Feedback would b appreciated!
post #78 of 1892 Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

Can anyone help me out in regards to a correct setup? I have my samsung 8000 plugged into my samsung receiver with the 1.4 hdmi cable. I watched the fiesta bowl on espn 3d last night and it was pretty tight! My question is do I need another 3d hdmi for my 3d bluray player (haven't gotten it yet) to plug into the receiver in order to watch 3d movies? I should mention that I had a standard hdmi cable plugged into my comcast cable box to my receiver while watching the game last night. Is that correct? I still got 3d but perhaps it could have been better with a 3d hdmi? Im new to posting and apologize if this is the wrong thread to post a question like this but I saw someone mention correct setup and thought this was appropriate. Feedback would b appreciated!

I do not have this TV, but a quick search here I found some possible threads. Here is one that may help:
Official Samsung UNxxB8000 Series Owners Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1142970&page=5

My Stuff:
post #79 of 1892 Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

thank you very much!
post #80 of 1892 Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avshtpcbob View Post

I do not have this TV, but a quick search here I found some possible threads. Here is one that may help:
Official Samsung UNxxB8000 Series Owners Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1142970&page=5

Actually that is the previous 8000 model samsung tv. I have the one that is 3D compatible. Came out this summer I believe. Thanks for your help though!
post #81 of 1892 Old 01-12-2011, 04:35 AM

I've been happy with most 3D movies so far. I haven't seen Avatar at home because I refuse to pay over 60 bucks for it so that might be the best, I dunno. But from what I've seen, Alice In Wonderland. Even the Live-Action scenes (converted from what I understand) looked great. Some of the scenes that made me like "Hell yeah 3D is awesome" that come to mind are when she first gets into Wonderland and there's the rocking horse and the dragonfly fighting. It looks like they're fighting in my living room. The scene that I've seen with the most pop of all movies though is when Mad Hatter is fighting.. err.. the Queen's boyfriend-ish guy? When he blocks Hatter's swing it looks like the sword is sticking out like 2 feet from the TV.

I also thought the 3D was really well done in the IMAX sampler for Galapagos and Into the Deep. Not so much on Mummies. One of the coolest 3D scenes I remember in Galapagos was when the waves went over the lizard (don't remember what kind it was and I'm no biologist) and then back out to sea, the depth was awesome. And Into the Deep, when the camera was going through the Kelp Forests was really awesome, and it looked like fish were swimming around in my living room.

How To Train Your Dragon had some great 3D too. The scene that sticks out to me the most was when the big dragon at the end blew the fire onto all the Viking ships. Pretty much all the fire effects looked great in 3D though. In the scene where the big dragon and Toothless were fighting in the sky, when the big dragon blew fire all over the place it looked amazing, with all the different levels of depth from fire close to the screen to deep into the screen and everything in between.

I just realized I'm heading towards favorite 3D scenes in all of my movies so I'll go ahead and stop lol. Of the 10 movies I've got, those are the 3 I've thought had the best 3D
post #82 of 1892 Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If we are doing individual scenes, then the scene in A Christmas Carol where the ghost of Christmas present is taking Scrooge through London with the floor missing is fantastic. Not gimmicky but incredible depth. Awesome!
post #83 of 1892 Old 01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit7319 View Post

I've been happy with most 3D movies so far. I haven't seen Avatar at home because I refuse to pay over 60 bucks for it so that might be the best, I dunno. But from what I've seen, Alice In Wonderland. Even the Live-Action scenes (converted from what I understand) looked great. Some of the scenes that made me like "Hell yeah 3D is awesome" that come to mind are when she first gets into Wonderland and there's the rocking horse and the dragonfly fighting. It looks like they're fighting in my living room. The scene that I've seen with the most pop of all movies though is when Mad Hatter is fighting.. err.. the Queen's boyfriend-ish guy? When he blocks Hatter's swing it looks like the sword is sticking out like 2 feet from the TV.

I also thought the 3D was really well done in the IMAX sampler for Galapagos and Into the Deep. Not so much on Mummies. One of the coolest 3D scenes I remember in Galapagos was when the waves went over the lizard (don't remember what kind it was and I'm no biologist) and then back out to sea, the depth was awesome. And Into the Deep, when the camera was going through the Kelp Forests was really awesome, and it looked like fish were swimming around in my living room.

How To Train Your Dragon had some great 3D too. The scene that sticks out to me the most was when the big dragon at the end blew the fire onto all the Viking ships. Pretty much all the fire effects looked great in 3D though. In the scene where the big dragon and Toothless were fighting in the sky, when the big dragon blew fire all over the place it looked amazing, with all the different levels of depth from fire close to the screen to deep into the screen and everything in between.

I just realized I'm heading towards favorite 3D scenes in all of my movies so I'll go ahead and stop lol. Of the 10 movies I've got, those are the 3 I've thought had the best 3D

Alice and HTTYD are both awesome I agree and 2 of the best To think Alice is a 2d to 3d conversion is amazing..........I would swear it was native 3d!

I would also put Avatar in the top 1 or 2........overall, it is just fantastic.

Open Season, and the IMAX films are great as well..........man its hard to pick a favorite!

Resident Evil has been the biggest let down.........native 3d and just very lacking in depth compared to everything else I have seen Pop-out moments were great, but where was the depth??

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #84 of 1892 Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Any high speed HDMI 1.3 cable should work, there isn't such a thing as a 3D HDMI cable.
post #85 of 1892 Old 01-12-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Avatar so far has given me the best pure 3D image I've seen. I guess some of it has to do with how it was filmed, but it showed no crosstalk and provided a crystal clear beautiful picture. I found it to be much much better than what I saw in the theater, as the passive glasses never work that great for me like the shutter glasses do.
post #86 of 1892 Old 01-12-2011, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just confirmed that using $5 HDMI 1.3 cables work great with 3D.

Avatar is spectacular...makes me want a 65" VT25!!!!
post #87 of 1892 Old 01-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post

Just confirmed that using $5 HDMI 1.3 cables work great with 3D.

Avatar is spectacular...makes me want a 65" VT25!!!!

Or maybe now a 65" VT30???
post #88 of 1892 Old 01-12-2011, 03:33 PM

I have Mitsubishi 73" and have 3D for two months now,really wish the studio's would offer more 3D movie available . It's the biggest let down since I set it up .
post #89 of 1892 Old 01-12-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:

Actually that is the previous 8000 model samsung tv. I have the one that is 3D compatible. Came out this summer I believe. Thanks for your help though!

I tried

My Stuff:
post #90 of 1892 Old 01-12-2011, 07:10 PM

To me the best 3D Blu Ray I have seen so far with no ghosting or artifacts has been Piranha 3D. Even though was not shot in native, the picture is simply amazing.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Life by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page