post #991 of 1882 Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

Under The Sea used to be my 3D demo material, until I got Sammy's Adventure.

To me the potato cod scene of Under the Sea on freeze frame trumps EVERYTHING! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1882 Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

I personally thought Hugo was overrated (especially in the 3D department). I think if it had been directed by some guy named Tim Smith and not Scorsese, people wouldn't like it as much.

YMMV though. It wasn't the worst I've seen, but wouldn't be my showcase piece.

+1!
post #993 of 1882 Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabesh View Post

Agreed. I know everyone raves about the Potatoe Cod scene. But I found 5+ scenes that pop out equally or better. This movie is full of great 3D scenes. A sure "wow" inducer when we guests smile.gif

I got SA as well. It's got good 3D, but I'm not much into cartoons. But it's a good 3D show-off as well, but not so much as Under the sea, IMHO.

Please provide times of the other scenes you think have pop out equal or better than the potato cod scene! Same request for best pop out scenes in Sammy Adventures for whoever knows the times.
post #994 of 1882 Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Any other decent scenery 3D Blurays like the Grand Canyon one, guess not...
I have a safari one haven't watched it, probably not good.

Already running out of content except cartoons, that's the issue with 3D...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #995 of 1882 Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by div3r5ity View Post

ok so whats the best 3d bluray movie to get so far?? i plan on buying one today. i did a little research but its between cloudy,monsters vs aliens , and monster house unless i hear different from u guys.
I apologise as this one IS NOT offered in 3D and simply shows the poor decision makers inside ANY Sony department. However, I was able to view the trailer for the new Total Recall with Colin Farrell. At the time I had my Bravia upscaling and simulating 3D for the trailer (this was not in 3D even in the theaters). The preview looked COMPLETLY FREAKN AWEOME with all the depth shots as well as combining in-yur-face elements.

I will be checking the full movie out soon but this one SHOULD have been in 3D, and thats just bein wowwed from a trailer. Iv seen the film in its 2D native format and cant wait!!!

Im more happy to see the newer 3D movies being more focused at the thrill of a car coming out of the screen and landing in my lap than the initail 'depth' that was the focus... IE the dissapointing 3D of TRON. I can look outta window any day to see depth of field, I cant however have a building collapse on me while feeling I need to actually avoid the falling 3D debree and be okay.

Pass it on... George Washington, and other patriots, didnt say 'just dont tell them our names.'

They stood in the face of CERTAIN death and said "We are the founders of America... we are not an anonymous group of obscurity and we WILL produce the greatest nation in the world!!!"
post #996 of 1882 Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakingSonyDown View Post

I can look outta window any day to see depth of field, I cant however have a building collapse on me while feeling I need to actually avoid the falling 3D debree and be okay.

You could get some kids to throw balls, spears and poke swords at your face when looking outta that window biggrin.gif
ShakingSonyDown likes this.

post #997 of 1882 Old 01-12-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakingSonyDown View Post

I can look outta window any day to see depth of field, I cant however have a building collapse on me while feeling I need to actually avoid the falling 3D debree and be okay.

You could get some kids to throw balls, spears and poke swords at your face when looking outta that window biggrin.gif

ROFLMAO!!!

I tried that but they wouldnt stop when I closed the window... and my Sony 3D glasses wernt very compatible either.

Pass it on... George Washington, and other patriots, didnt say 'just dont tell them our names.'

They stood in the face of CERTAIN death and said "We are the founders of America... we are not an anonymous group of obscurity and we WILL produce the greatest nation in the world!!!"
post #998 of 1882 Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Please provide times of the other scenes you think have pop out equal or better than the potato cod scene! Same request for best pop out scenes in Sammy Adventures for whoever knows the times.

not sure about the exact times because i havent watched sammy in awhile. but i think the 14-15 minute mark has a lot of pop out and a crab that pops out really far , there is also i scene i think around the 40-45 minute mark that shows a snake popping out as well. overall the entire movie was out of my screen, but those 2 scenes the pop out was really extreme.

i also saw another ocean documentary, not sure of the title, but it was something like paradise in thailand. anyways there were a few scenes that had good pop out too. at times it looked like my room was filled with fish.
post #999 of 1882 Old 01-17-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed View Post

at times it looked like my room was filled with fish.

This is more what I meant... not just getting a car thrwon at my face. But objects pouring into the room versus Trons ability to make me feel like I could walk inot the TV. Nice and invites me into the film, but still I like the gimmick of the 70's and 80's 3D content like Amytville 3D used.

post #1000 of 1882 Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm relatively new to the 3d world, but I've watched a few movies now and to me Hugo and Under the Sea are the best, with the best "pop out" effects occurring in Under the Sea as mentioned above. I was actually expecting more from Avatar to be honest, I felt if I didn't hear so much rave about it, I would've liked it better both from a visual standpoint and an overall movie standpoint. I almost picked up Journey 2 as well, just for the 3d effects, but held off since I heard the movie itself wasn't so great. Any advice as to which Pixar/Disney flicks are the best to watch in 3d? (Yes, I'm sure it's been listed a million times on here but I've been up since 4 and I don't feel like digging smile.gif )

post #1001 of 1882 Old 01-19-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Any of the newer Pixar films starting with Up. All of the newer ones were made with 3D in mind from the start.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #1002 of 1882 Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 AM

Liked: 12
Tangled was good ,,kids loved it.
post #1003 of 1882 Old 01-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

I'm relatively new to the 3d world, but I've watched a few movies now and to me Hugo and Under the Sea are the best, with the best "pop out" effects occurring in Under the Sea as mentioned above. I was actually expecting more from Avatar to be honest, I felt if I didn't hear so much rave about it, I would've liked it better both from a visual standpoint and an overall movie standpoint. I almost picked up Journey 2 as well, just for the 3d effects, but held off since I heard the movie itself wasn't so great. Any advice as to which Pixar/Disney flicks are the best to watch in 3d? (Yes, I'm sure it's been listed a million times on here but I've been up since 4 and I don't feel like digging smile.gif )

Check out the Dreamworks titles in 3d as well as I find them more impressive in general vs the Disney/Pixar 3d films. Madagascar 3, HTTYD, M v A, etc......

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1004 of 1882 Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Probably already said in the older pages but I purchased and watched Sanctum last night in 3d. Thought it was done pretty good. My 3d collection consists of Sanctum, Avengers, MIB3, TinTin, Brave, Titanic, Dredd, Prometheus, and Avatar. The two best being of course Avatar and surprisingly Sanctum. Then again Cameron had a hand in it, so he probably went the extra mile to make it POP.

My modest Setup:
Panasonic 60ST50
Onkyo NR-616 (no reliability issues yet...fingers remain crossed)
Klipsch F20 Towers, C10 Center and B10 Surrounds
Polk PSW 110 Sub
PS3
post #1005 of 1882 Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 AM

Liked: 10
What's the cheapest price to get a 3D region A compatible copy of Sammy's Adventure? I saw that the HK import is about $35. Was hoping to find it for $25 shipped
post #1006 of 1882 Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post

What's the cheapest price to get a 3D region A compatible copy of Sammy's Adventure? I saw that the HK import is about $35. Was hoping to find it for $25 shipped

I do not remember the price but you can buy it from VuDu - Online - cheaper than anywhere else.
post #1007 of 1882 Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozweego View Post

Probably already said in the older pages but I purchased and watched Sanctum last night in 3d. Thought it was done pretty good. My 3d collection consists of Sanctum, Avengers, MIB3, TinTin, Brave, Titanic, Dredd, Prometheus, and Avatar. The two best being of course Avatar and surprisingly Sanctum. Then again Cameron had a hand in it, so he probably went the extra mile to make it POP.
I would put Avitar in last place against the other movies you listed. And of course, nothing compares to Sammy's Adventure.
post #1008 of 1882 Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM

You can rent sammy's adventure 3D on the PS3 playstation store or other media servers like vudu.
post #1009 of 1882 Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DFlick View Post

You can rent sammy's adventure 3D on the PS3 playstation store or other media servers like vudu.

I just BOUGHT it for $17.99 online from VuDu.

It is $6.99 to Rent.

Now I can watch it as much as I need.
post #1010 of 1882 Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 AM

I'll soon see what all this hype is about with Sammy's Adventures. Just picked up a new copy on eBay for $16 shipping included. biggrin.gif

My modest Setup:
Panasonic 60ST50
Onkyo NR-616 (no reliability issues yet...fingers remain crossed)
Klipsch F20 Towers, C10 Center and B10 Surrounds
Polk PSW 110 Sub
PS3
post #1011 of 1882 Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll soon see what all this hype is about with Sammy's Adventures. Just picked up a new copy on eBay for $16 shipping included. biggrin.gif

I have not Watched 100% of my VuDu Sammy Purchase but I was blown away after 15 minutes.

I will watch it all this weekend.

I worry about buying a Blu-Ray DVD - They are NOT normally for the U.S. Region.

That is why I BOUGHT the VuDu Download.
post #1012 of 1882 Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I have not Watched 100% of my VuDu Sammy Purchase but I was blown away after 15 minutes.

That is why I BOUGHT the VuDu Download.
hello wish i would have read up a little more but just bought sammys adventure but its region b im in canada region a so can anyone suggest a region free player or other options. im using a ps3 for my player
post #1013 of 1882 Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsond View Post

hello wish i would have read up a little more but just bought sammys adventure but its region b im in canada region a so can anyone suggest a region free player or other options. im using a ps3 for my player

No Clue on Region Free Players.

I do not fool around with that stuff - too many headaches
post #1014 of 1882 Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I got Sammy's Adventure off of VuDu the other night, I think all the hype killed it for me, because while the 3D was very good, I was expecting much more (Similarly to what happened when I watched Avatar). I still think my favorite 3D so far is Under the Sea IMAX and Hugo. I'm gonna check out a few more over the next few days on HBO on Demand: Journey 2, Finding Nemo, and Kung Fu Panda.

post #1015 of 1882 Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM

Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

I got Sammy's Adventure off of VuDu the other night, I think all the hype killed it for me, because while the 3D was very good, I was expecting much more (Similarly to what happened when I watched Avatar).

I agree with this statement! I did the same thing a few months ago when I discovered VUDU and had the same reaction...

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #1016 of 1882 Old 01-24-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

That is why I BOUGHT the VuDu Download.[/quote

The ebay copy I bought was not region 1, I wound up with an $18.00 coaster. Got a region 1 from Hong Kong. I'm suprised by some people being underwhelmed by the 3d aspect. By far the best popout of any flick I have watched. (108" screen.)

post #1017 of 1882 Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post

I agree with this statement! I did the same thing a few months ago when I discovered VUDU and had the same reaction...

MAYBE you are watching it on a TINY screen.

Try 13 Feet
post #1018 of 1882 Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsond View Post

Modded region-free BD standalones are few and far between, and expensive. Momitsu is one, IIRC. Off the shelf standalones that can be made region-free for Blu-Ray are near non-existent.

Well, if you have a Blu-ray burner in your computer, you could rip the disc to hard drive as an ISO image. The trial of the Blu-Ray decrypter AnyDVDHD will do. That will remove the region coding. Then burn the ISO to a double-layer BD50 blank with IMGBurn. I know of no other reliable method of backing up a 3D Blu-Ray. If you try it, it's important you rip as ISO image and burn to a BD50. Use IMGBurn only.

Good luck.
post #1019 of 1882 Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:

I do not remember the price but you can buy it from VuDu - Online - cheaper than anywhere else.
Thanks to all for the VuDu option but I prefer to get the highest quality video and audio on physical media. Just out of curiousity, what type of audio is included when buying from VuDu?

Quote:

What import did you buy? The UK? I'm assuming the UK release is region locked since someone posted they got an $18 coaster. That pretty much only leaves the HK import as region A as far as I know. I have a region free player, just not a 3D region free player mad.gif
post #1020 of 1882 Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post

Thanks to all for the VuDu option but I prefer to get the highest quality video and audio on physical media. Just out of curiousity, what type of audio is included when buying from VuDu?
What import did you buy? The UK? I'm assuming the UK release is region locked since someone posted they got an $18 coaster. That pretty much only leaves the HK import as region A as far as I know. I have a region free player, just not a 3D region free player mad.gif

VuDu is 1080p Video and DD 5.1.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page