Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1882 Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
HUGO is pretty much the worst movie I've seen in the last 10 years, I would not even try to put up with it on 3D.

Any reviews on Jurassic Park? I thought it was great, but it was my first 3D experience at home. The audio track was excellent.

Fry's has Life of Pi for $15 and Under the Sea for $20, I think I'm going to buy those today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1882 Old 05-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

LOL I liked Hugo... Wife hated it. It's definitely a slooooooooow movie.

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #1173 of 1882 Old 05-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Well, movies are of course very subjective, but it's certainly NOT the worse movie I've seen in the last 10 years. I like most of Marty's movies, and while I did not think I would even bother with 3d, I got curious since the purchase of my Panasonic VT50, so I bought a Pany 330 3D BlueRay player. I like the 3D in home experience. I found a website that lists if 3D movies were actually shoot properly with 2 cameras, NOT "post" 3D. So according to the list, I purchased, Tron, Avatar, Resident Evil - Afterlife, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and Hugo. I'll probably buy more, but these multi-disk movies are not cheap, some are single disk, like Avatar, and that was cheaper, been out for awhile. I have not had time to watch Transformers yet, Resident Evil while not a great movie had some good 3D effects, Avatar is awesome as the 3D works for it's "other world", but so far as 3D effects go, "in front" of screen, the falling snow flakes at the beginning of Hugo, are the best 3D effects I've seen so far, they appear to be floating in front of your face.

Again, I won't get into plots or story, as movies are personal, but since I just got started with home 3D, I'm more interested in looking at how well the 3D effect are presented. While some will argue, that story wise, 3D is at times more effective if it's "behind the screen", and subtle , and story wise that may well be justified, but tech wise I want to be wooed by 3D objects coming into my living room, I have plenty of "good" non-3D movies on BlueRay, and most of the 3D movie packages include, a BlueRay and DVD version of the disks as well. I doubt I'll get too crazy buying lots of 3D movies, but will certainly seek out the ones that have a decent story, and are shot properly with good 3D effects. Enjoy!

BTW: This is the website I referred to: http://realorfake3d.com/
post #1174 of 1882 Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

Well, movies are of course very subjective, but it's certainly NOT the worse movie I've seen in the last 10 years. I like most of Marty's movies, and while I did not think I would even bother with 3d, I got curious since the purchase of my Panasonic VT50, so I bought a Pany 330 3D BlueRay player. I like the 3D in home experience. I found a website that lists if 3D movies were actually shoot properly with 2 cameras, NOT "post" 3D. So according to the list, I purchased, Tron, Avatar, Resident Evil - Afterlife, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and Hugo. I'll probably buy more, but these multi-disk movies are not cheap, some are single disk, like Avatar, and that was cheaper, been out for awhile. I have not had time to watch Transformers yet, Resident Evil while not a great movie had some good 3D effects, Avatar is awesome as the 3D works for it's "other world", but so far as 3D effects go, "in front" of screen, the falling snow flakes at the beginning of Hugo, are the best 3D effects I've seen so far, they appear to be floating in front of your face.

Again, I won't get into plots or story, as movies are personal, but since I just got started with home 3D, I'm more interested in looking at how well the 3D effect are presented. While some will argue, that story wise, 3D is at times more effective if it's "behind the screen", and subtle , and story wise that may well be justified, but tech wise I want to be wooed by 3D objects coming into my living room, I have plenty of "good" non-3D movies on BlueRay, and most of the 3D movie packages include, a BlueRay and DVD version of the disks as well. I doubt I'll get too crazy buying lots of 3D movies, but will certainly seek out the ones that have a decent story, and are shot properly with good 3D effects. Enjoy!

BTW: This is the website I referred to: http://realorfake3d.com/

I bought the thing site unseen (not the 3d version), and the next day traded it in to amazon and lost about $20. I didn't even want the thing in my house! But yeah, movies are subjective, I just hated the movie so much that there is no way I could even attempt to endure watching it again just for the 3d effects. smile.gif
post #1175 of 1882 Old 05-23-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
wow i cant believe i started this post in 2010 and still going strong but after a long line of 3d movies since then my top 3 now are (not in any particular order) from just depth and effects.

The Avengers
Jurassic Park
post #1176 of 1882 Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by div3r5ity View Post

wow i cant believe i started this post in 2010 and still going strong but after a long line of 3d movies since then my top 3 now are (not in any particular order) from just depth and effects.

The Avengers
Jurassic Park

According to the website I listed above, both "The Avengers", and "Jurassic Park" are post converted movies, since you like them for their 3D effects, I guess I should try a few of these post converted films to see how they fare on my VT50, guess I should at least give them a chance, up till now I've only considered buying 3D movies that were shot in 3D. Thanks.

BTW: The list shows a 2013 "Jurassic Park 4", as being shot in 3D, that should be cool too.
post #1177 of 1882 Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

According to the website I listed above, both "The Avengers", and "Jurassic Park" are post converted movies, since you like them for their 3D effects, I guess I should try a few of these post converted films to see how they fare on my VT50, guess I should at least give them a chance, up till now I've only considered buying 3D movies that were shot in 3D. Thanks.

BTW: The list shows a 2013 "Jurassic Park 4", as being shot in 3D, that should be cool too.

I'm not too keen on converted movies - I have 3 converted movies, The Avengers, Green Lantern, I Robot, and the conversion on The Avengers was 10 times better than I Robot or Green Lantern. My preference is for movies that were shot natively in 3D. My favorites to date:

Madagascar 3
Prometheus
Puss N' Boots
Dredd
post #1178 of 1882 Old 05-23-2013, 02:11 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by div3r5ity View Post

The Avengers
Jurassic Park
I agree with Jurassic Park as one of your choices. The movie is amazing in 3D and gives it a whole new viewing experience. This conversion is better than some films that were shot in 3D! And the new enhanced soundtrack is stellar. All in all, Jurassic Park 3D is demo quality material. One of my favorite films now even better. If you are a fan, you owe it to yourself to get this DVD. Would you expect anything less from Spielberg?
post #1179 of 1882 Old 05-23-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

I agree with Jurassic Park as one of your choices. The movie is amazing in 3D and gives it a whole new viewing experience. This conversion is better than some films that were shot in 3D! And the new enhanced soundtrack is stellar. All in all, Jurassic Park 3D is demo quality material. One of my favorite films now even better. If you are a fan, you owe it to yourself to get this DVD. Would you expect anything less from Spielberg?

yeah this scene right here i felt like i was standing next to them lol, scaling is crazy . im going to check out hugo tonight since everybody keeps talking about it.

post #1180 of 1882 Old 05-23-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Well, JP4 isn't happening at this point, so no need to worry about that.

Conversions these days have come a long way since the early days, and there are quite a few good ones out there. Avengers and Men in Black 3 are good examples, and some of the scenes in Jurassic Park are crazy levels of INTENSE with the addition of 3D (the T-rex scene is the one that springs to mind).. But (IMO) films actually shot in native 3D seem to have a much more natural feel to them. One thing I see a lot of times in conversions is a sort of "separation" between foreground elements and background.. not really a "cardboard cutout", since everything has depth, but it has a sort of "artificial" feeling to it, like the separation is being forced (which it is, of course). With native 3D, the separation is just kinda there and it seems a lot easier for your eyes to accept it. That may actually be one of the reasons why people complain about "forgetting that they're watching 3D" when viewing some of those native titles like Prometheus, Hugo, or Life of Pi.

Sorry to go off-topic for a second, but how's the 3D on The Amazing Spider-Man? I picked it up on sale the other day, but I probably won't get around to watching it until this weekend. I believe that one was shot native 3D? I've seen the film before, but not in 3D.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #1181 of 1882 Old 05-23-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Well, JP4 isn't happening at this point
Sure it is. Sam Neill just said 2 days ago that it'll be a reboot.
Quote:
Sorry to go off-topic for a second, but how's the 3D on The Amazing Spider-Man?
When it gets really intense and they start using CG, the 3D looks pretty good. But they don't get anywhere near as creative with the stereography in live action scenes.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #1182 of 1882 Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

When it gets really intense and they start using CG, the 3D looks pretty good. But they don't get anywhere near as creative with the stereography in live action scenes.
I agree with cakefoo. TASM's 3D was a pretty hot topic around here and among the internet 3D community when it debuted in theaters.
post #1183 of 1882 Old 05-24-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

I'm not too keen on converted movies - I have 3 converted movies, The Avengers, Green Lantern, I Robot, and the conversion on The Avengers was 10 times better than I Robot or Green Lantern. My preference is for movies that were shot natively in 3D. My favorites to date:

Madagascar 3
Prometheus
Puss N' Boots
Dredd

I think I Robot was perhas the most underwhelming 3D converstion I have ever seen... my TVs built in 2D-3D converter makes for a more interesting 3D experience than that conversion did.

I thought The Avengers was a good example of 3D conversion and I seem to recall feeling Green Lantern was another of the poor quality ones.

Do yourself a favor and see Titanic and Jurassic Park - both of these I feel show what post conversion can and should be like.

Saying post conversion is bad based on Green Lantern and I Robot is like saying vampire books are bad based on reading Twighlight.

Also worth a watch if you liked the original is Top Gun... it didn't make the conversion quite as well due to MASSIVE film grain (which you might not mind if you liked Dredd) but the conversion was done about as well as I think it could have been and coupled with a bit of nostalgia it was a very enjoyable watch.

I think post converted 3D, much like colorized pictures, can be good if done well and with skill. It's unlikely you will ever mistake it for the real deal, but sometimes it actaully brings it's own benefits over native 3D (specular abberations being my biggest pet peeve with native 3D) and sometimes that character is a plust, not a minus.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #1184 of 1882 Old 05-24-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Sure it is. Sam Neill just said 2 days ago that it'll be a reboot.
Hm. Last thing I heard was that it was on "indefinite hold". Maybe they changed their mind, I dunno.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #1185 of 1882 Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Hm. Last thing I heard was that it was on "indefinite hold". Maybe they changed their mind, I dunno.
Maybe neither of us is wrong, haha.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #1186 of 1882 Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 AM

under the sea 3d is insane

only things i've seen in 3d.

still have john carter, avengers, promethius, and hubble 3d to watch.
post #1187 of 1882 Old 05-25-2013, 01:40 AM

come to think of it, i've seen some kids movies that i wasn't impressed with.... i haven't liked 3d too much until i got my new tv (st60) which some say has 'poor 3d'. but we all know they're clueless lol ;p
post #1188 of 1882 Old 05-25-2013, 03:07 AM

Liked: 10
Since it's getting lots of mentions, heads up that Frys has Jurassic Park for $23 for memorial weekend sale. In store only though
http://www.frys.com/product/7587626?site=sa:adpages%20page:P8_FRI%20date:052413

They have some other 3D's for 15. http://www.frys.com/search?plusearch=7306614%206704355%206704345%206704335%206970537

Not as good of choices as their sale last week but still worth looking at for the price.
post #1189 of 1882 Old 05-25-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Great price but a long drive.
post #1190 of 1882 Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 PM

Best Buy will price match, and that saves me 35 minutes of commuting each way. Saw the add for Jurassic Park in friday's add, so it's good thru next Thursday... Looks like I'll be buying an early "Father's Day" gift for myself!
post #1191 of 1882 Old 05-27-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Nice! I never thought of that.
post #1192 of 1882 Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 PM

Liked: 18
I was just at Costco in the Chicago area (west burbs) last night and saw they had the 3d Avatar for $19.99, not sure if this is a good price or not, but thought I would post it. I just picked up the Jurassic Park 3-d from Fry's thanks to this thread. Got it to use for when I get my new 60F8500 next week and the Sony BDP-S5100. Can't wait to watch something in 3D at home!!

Phil

Samsung PN60F8500 (Calibrated and bought from Value Electronics) - My Settings
Sony BDP-S5100
Tivo HD with 1TB HDD
Tivo Series-3 with 1 TB HDD
Onkyo TX-SR606 A/V Receiver with 5.1 Onkyo speakers.
post #1193 of 1882 Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwojo View Post

I was just at Costco in the Chicago area (west burbs) last night and saw they had the 3d Avatar for $19.99, not sure if this is a good price or not, but thought I would post it. I just picked up the Jurassic Park 3-d from Fry's thanks to this thread. Got it to use for when I get my new 60F8500 next week and the Sony BDP-S5100. Can't wait to watch something in 3D at home!!

Phil

Do Not Expect any 3D pop outs from those movies.
post #1194 of 1882 Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM

I do not have many 3D disc but Avatar & Under the Sea look great. My wife really enjoyed Avatar with me.
post #1195 of 1882 Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 PM

Had to jump in for another big thumbs up for Madagascar 3. I tend to have trouble seeing pop out effects but not in this movie. There are tons of them spread throughout, with the giraffes head flying out of the screen so far at one point it literally brought a "wow" out of my mouth. Really spectacular.
post #1196 of 1882 Old 05-31-2013, 11:40 AM

my list of 3d movies

Under the Sea (beyond amazing)
Hubble 3d (horrible, don't even bother renting, let along buying)
John Carter (haven't watched)
Jurassic Park (eh... one of my favorite movies... then they made it in 3d, and it didn't seem different much, so i didn't care for the 3d on it)
Promethius (haven't watched)
Avengers (haven't watched)
post #1197 of 1882 Old 06-01-2013, 01:54 PM

Here's my list:

- A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures
- Flying Swords of Dragon Gate
- IMAX: Under the sea
- Life of Pi
- The adventures of Tintin
- History of the world in 2 hours

All these except the last two have good pop outs. Are there any better (or equally good) titles with regards to 3D pop outs? Thx.
post #1198 of 1882 Old 06-01-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabesh View Post

Here's my list:

- A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures
- Flying Swords of Dragon Gate
- IMAX: Under the sea
- Life of Pi
- The adventures of Tintin
- History of the world in 2 hours

All these except the last two have good pop outs. Are there any better (or equally good) titles with regards to 3D pop outs? Thx.

I AGREE with your first THREE.
post #1199 of 1882 Old 06-01-2013, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
+1 for Madagascar 3. Great 3D. Numerous pop out moments.
post #1200 of 1882 Old 06-02-2013, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post

+1 for Madagascar 3. Great 3D. Numerous pop out moments.

I completely agree. I've lost track of how many times I've watched it. The 3D popouts are constant and incredible. And the movie itself is great fun. I've got over 60 3D Blu-rays and I keep returning to this one.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page