Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1882 Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yes I don't get it. It's almost like they are giving up on 3d again....But I like it and see real potential. I do like the movies that have great depth but likewise as some of the others were saying reminf me that I'm watching 3d. Add some pop as well.....I don't want to watch 3d where I'm wondering if my 3d mode is enabled on my tv......because if thats the case then what am I paying the extra money for? (Average cost of 3d movies seems to be double regular blu rays....$40 vs $20) Its almost like they are treating 3d as a gimmick and not getting content out there....then want to complain when sales are sluggish......likewise I know we go through this with every new format....Blu Ray had a lack of content for awhile......hopefully 3d will ramp up more here soon.....they have been slow in getting the content out there and with ESPN 3d shutting down that will leave most people (At least with Comcast) with only one full time 3d channel.....otherwise you have to get stuff on demand......maybe thats what ESPN should try next.....when they shut down their channel they should make that content available on demand......heck they could even film new stuff in 3d and put it on demand as well.....won't that save them money over running a full time channel? But I'm done blabbing again. I'm sorry for hijacking this thread.

I have Despicable Me in my watch list on ebay. About to go watch Underworld.....will return with my feedback on that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1882 Old 08-03-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I picked up G.I. Joe: Retaliation today.

The scenes in and around the mountains and temple were outstanding; really great, nearly vertigo inducing depth and lots of pop-out effects of everything from ninja stars to falling ninjas. Really one of the best 3D sequences I've seen to date and definitely demo worthy material.

The rest of the post-converted 3D is pretty good as well; there are more good examples of depth and pop throughout (especially Firefly's robotic fireflies) but nothing really matches that battle in the Himalayas which is probably my favorite 3D sequence yet seen.

I watched the movie on both my 2010 Samsung active shutter plasma and my 2012 LG passive LED and I found the experience to be quite enjoyable on both. I really don't know why the 3D reviews were so negative on this one as I thought the overall 3D to be quite good and it definitely improved the viewing experience..

In terms of the film itself, I've never really been into G.I. Joe and have yet to even see the first movie. In spite of that, I was quite entertained as the film is well paced and has some very good action sequences. It's your typical summer popcorn flick but what it does it does well.
post #1263 of 1882 Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to agreewithyou one of my favorite 3d movies so far,pop out and depth are really great on the ninja scenes in the mountians my new 3d demo.
post #1264 of 1882 Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

In terms of the film itself, I've never really been into G.I. Joe and have yet to even see the first movie.

Don't bother with the first movie. It's unwatchable. The sequel mostly ignores it anyway.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1265 of 1882 Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I am watching Epic and it has great 3D and excellent sound (my mkv version has dts ES6.1) to go with beautiful picture (depth and pop out). Highly recommended. Great movie also.
post #1266 of 1882 Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I've had Avatar 3D for awhile now but never got around to watching it until now...wow...the sense of depth is unreal...what's most remarkable is that the 3D image looks identical to the 2D in terms of color and detail...I think the 3D version might actually look a bit better...I saw some images on the portable computer screens that wasn't as clear in 2D...not too many pop-out effects but the scene at the end with Jake pulling the pins on the grenade and having them fly out of the screen was amazing (I even paused the scene and looked at it with the 3D glasses on/off to see the huge difference)...the seeds from the trees floating in the air was also very well done...overall I can't see any 3D movie topping this for overall depth and immersion from beginning to end
post #1267 of 1882 Old 08-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I've had Avatar 3D for awhile now but never got around to watching it until now...wow...the sense of depth is unreal...what's most remarkable is that the 3D image looks identical to the 2D in terms of color and detail...I think the 3D version might actually look a bit better...I saw some images on the portable computer screens that wasn't as clear in 2D...not too many pop-out effects but the scene at the end with Jake pulling the pins on the grenade and having them fly out of the screen was amazing (I even paused the scene and looked at it with the 3D glasses on/off to see the huge difference)...the seeds from the trees floating in the air was also very well done...overall I can't see any 3D movie topping this for overall depth and immersion from beginning to end

Really? I have seen Avatar in part or whole on 4 different 3d displays now and compared to many other discs the 3d to me is just ok. Definitely a bit reserved and conservative for depth and especially pop. Many animated titles have much more impressive 3d ( ANY Dreamworks title, Sammy's Adventure, etc....) and quite a few live action easily trump it overall (many of the IMAX, Hugo, Flying Swords of Dragonsgate to name a few).

Avatar is the most overrated title for pure 3d on the format IMO. Watch Avatar then throw on Flying Swords of Dragonsgate......its not even close as far as which has better depth and pop.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1268 of 1882 Old 08-10-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Really? I have seen Avatar in part or whole on 4 different 3d displays now and compared to many other discs the 3d to me is just ok. Definitely a bit reserved and conservative for depth and especially pop. Many animated titles have much more impressive 3d ( ANY Dreamworks title, Sammy's Adventure, etc....) and quite a few live action easily trump it overall (many of the IMAX, Hugo, Flying Swords of Dragonsgate to name a few).

Avatar is the most overrated title for pure 3d on the format IMO. Watch Avatar then throw on Flying Swords of Dragonsgate......its not even close as far as which has better depth and pop.

THREE THUMBS UP for TOE - Avatar is Over Rated smile.gif
post #1269 of 1882 Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

THREE THUMBS UP for TOE - Avatar is Over Rated smile.gif

Three??? eek.gif Where does the third thumb come from? tongue.gif

post #1270 of 1882 Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I only own about 30 3d titles but Avatar looks absolutely fantastic on all my display devices. It's reference material IMO

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #1271 of 1882 Old 08-10-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Avatar is not about pop-out effects, it's about depth...I agree that if you're looking for things to be flying in your face then Avatar will disappoint but the sense of depth is unreal...when 2-3 characters are standing in a room you can literally see the separation within the 3D environment (don't know if that makes any sense)...or to put it another way you can see how far in front of an object a character is standing...the walls and environment have depth to them...look at the way the grass and leaves pop into the screen when someone is walking...it's not something jaw dropping but this is what 3D is meant to convey

some movies may have excellent depth or overall 3D for a portion of the movie or certain scenes but Avatar has it for the entire movie...literally almost every scene

now the movie itself was totally overrated and not that great but the 3D alone was impressive (I'm watching on a calibrated 55" Panasonic VT25 plasma)...and like I said earlier the 3D version looked just as good or slightly better then the 2D version which pretty much never happens...I have to admit I prefer the popout effects just from an entertainment perspective but Cameron really did create something special with 3D depth...I saw Rise of the Guardians 3D last night and that had some really impressive pop-out...the snow in the beginning reached further out of the screen then anything I've ever experienced on 3D...it was literally in my face
post #1272 of 1882 Old 08-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Avatar is not about pop-out effects, it's about depth...I agree that if you're looking for things to be flying in your face then Avatar will disappoint but the sense of depth is unreal...when 2-3 characters are standing in a room you can literally see the separation within the 3D environment (don't know if that makes any sense)...or to put it another way you can see how far in front of an object a character is standing...the walls and environment have depth to them...look at the way the grass and leaves pop into the screen when someone is walking...it's not something jaw dropping but this is what 3D is meant to convey

some movies may have excellent depth or overall 3D for a portion of the movie or certain scenes but Avatar has it for the entire movie...literally almost every scene

now the movie itself was totally overrated and not that great but the 3D alone was impressive (I'm watching on a calibrated 55" Panasonic VT25 plasma)...and like I said earlier the 3D version looked just as good or slightly better then the 2D version which pretty much never happens...I have to admit I prefer the popout effects just from an entertainment perspective but Cameron really did create something special with 3D depth...I saw Rise of the Guardians 3D last night and that had some really impressive pop-out...the snow in the beginning reached further out of the screen then anything I've ever experienced on 3D...it was literally in my face

Pop out was not my focus if you re-read my post. I am not a pop freak (I certainly enjoy those rare moments though) and depth is what I appreciate most since 3d relies mainly on depth as pop out moments, lets face it, are few and far between in general. Talking strictly depth, not pop, not the film itself, not audio, etc......depth is reserved and conservative vs many other titles, especially if you include animation. There is nothing reference to my eyes with Avatar as far as depth goes and again, throw on any DreamWorks animated title, most IMAX live action titles, Flying Swords of Dragonsgate, etc.......and compare JUST depth and I don't know how you cant see the reserved and conservative quality to Avatar in comparison in general. I have seen this title on my JVC RS40, RS45, and BenQ 7000 in full in both 3d and 2d on my 9' wide screen and a Panny VT50 65" in part and there is nothing special about it vs the competition strictly from a depth perspective IMO. The most impressive scene for depth in Avatar to my eyes is near the beginning when Jake comes out of the capsule and is floating in that long capsule room/chamber......if the whole film had depth similar or close to this, it would deserve to be called "reference", but it doesn't and just feels conservative a good chunk of the time.

As far as the 3d vs 2d goes, I also disagree with you. On my calibrated RS45 (Lumagen mini, Chromapure and D3 Pro meter) the 2d image is stunning and in no way inferior to the 3d image.

I thought Avatar was an excellent 3d title when I first viewed it on blu almost 3 years ago with my limited experience, but as I have viewed more and more 3d over time and revisited Avatar, it just does not hold up to the best 3d out there for depth or pop.

I respect your opinion, but I stand by mine. Avatar is without question the most overrated title strictly from a 3d perspective, both depth and pop that I have seen out of the ~40 + titles I have viewed. I am not saying it is the least impressive out of those, but just very average and mid pack to my eyes for both depth and pop.

post #1273 of 1882 Old 08-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Underworld Awakening was very disappointing in 3d to me. It had a few popout effects but they did not use depth that much at all....in fact when I took my glasses off most of the movie was still extremely clear! So I do still have to agree with the poster above me....Avatar is tops...not because of popout but because of Depth....that entire movie I felt I was in the middle of everything....felt like I was on Pandora. (guess it helps sitting 10' away from a 120" screen) I still don't see the big hype about Hugo...not much popout but the Depth still didn't impress me. HTTYD is still 2nd on my list because it also has great Depth.....doesn't use a lot of popout but the overall depth in the movie is great....These studios really need to step up their 3d games....their is no reason why the best 3d movies should be older movies. Life of Pi is the best recent movie that comes to mind. Along with Resident Evil Retribution....I will have to checkout G.I. Joe.

post #1274 of 1882 Old 08-11-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pop out was not my focus if you re-read my post. I am not a pop freak (I certainly enjoy those rare moments though) and depth is what I appreciate most since 3d relies mainly on depth as pop out moments, lets face it, are few and far between in general. Talking strictly depth, not pop, not the film itself, not audio, etc......depth is reserved and conservative vs many other titles, especially if you include animation. There is nothing reference to my eyes with Avatar as far as depth goes and again, throw on any DreamWorks animated title, most IMAX live action titles, Flying Swords of Dragonsgate, etc.......and compare JUST depth and I don't know how you cant see the reserved and conservative quality to Avatar in comparison in general. I have seen this title on my JVC RS40, RS45, and BenQ 7000 in full in both 3d and 2d on my 9' wide screen and a Panny VT50 65" in part and there is nothing special about it vs the competition strictly from a depth perspective IMO. The most impressive scene for depth in Avatar to my eyes is near the beginning when Jake comes out of the capsule and is floating in that long capsule room/chamber......if the whole film had depth similar or close to this, it would deserve to be called "reference", but it doesn't and just feels conservative a good chunk of the time.

As far as the 3d vs 2d goes, I also disagree with you. On my calibrated RS45 (Lumagen mini, Chromapure and D3 Pro meter) the 2d image is stunning and in no way inferior to the 3d image.

I thought Avatar was an excellent 3d title when I first viewed it on blu almost 3 years ago with my limited experience, but as I have viewed more and more 3d over time and revisited Avatar, it just does not hold up to the best 3d out there for depth or pop.

I respect your opinion, but I stand by mine. Avatar is without question the most overrated title strictly from a 3d perspective, both depth and pop that I have seen out of the ~40 + titles I have viewed. I am not saying it is the least impressive out of those, but just very average and mid pack to my eyes for both depth and pop.

everyone is entitled to have their own opinions as they are subjective but to say that Avatar is just 'average' in terms of 3D depth is really surprising and an opinion shared by a minority...pretty much every reputable website or reviewer has Avatar as a top tier reference 3D and every director uses Avatar as the template for their 3D movie (Ang Lee, Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott)...you can make a case that Avatar has been surpassed in terms of overall best 3D Blu-ray but it's hard to believe anyone can call it average...James Cameron built the 3D camera used for the movie and is probably the most meticulous director in terms of putting out a reference 3D image...and like I said earlier other movies like Rise of the Guardians have reference 3D depth as well but what sets Avatar apart is that nearly every frame of footage has it in Avatar while most other movies pick and choose their spots for pop-out or depth

I will be watching Life of Pi 3D in a few weeks which I hear also is pretty impressive in terms of overall 3D depth

as far as 2D vs 3D I never said the 2D image was not good...all I said was that the 3D image looked almost identitcal to the reference quality 2D image...with some scenes coming to life more in 3D (Cameron shot the movie with the intent for 3D)...for example the scene where the Sigourney Weaver character is showing Jake the handheld computer pictures of the various Navi charcters in the beginning of the movie looks much better in 3D
post #1275 of 1882 Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

I hear ya, I just don't agree. I don't have a problem being in the minority if I am giving an honest experienced opinion which I am. I also dont have a problem thinking for myself even if it happens to not line up with popular opinion. Strip all the hype from Avatar and view it for what it is 3d wise and it is a bit conservative and certainly not reference for me vs the competition. It is relatively conservative play it safe 3d which leaves me wanting, especially compared to the truly strong 3d titles. You don't agree and we can agree to disagree.

post #1276 of 1882 Old 08-11-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I hear ya, I just don't agree. I don't have a problem being in the minority if I am giving an honest experienced opinion which I am. Strip all the hype from Avatar and view it for what it is 3d wise and it is a bit conservative and certainly not reference for me vs the competition. It is relatively conservative play it safe 3d which leaves me wanting, especially compared to the truly strong 3d titles. You don't agree and we can agree to disagree.

I really don't think it's conservative because it has depth for pretty much the whole film...movies like Underworld are what I call conservative....looks like a regular 2d movie most of the time with a couple of popout moments thrown in....Avatar wasn't like that IMO. I'll have to check out Legends and the other ones you listed....but so far Avatar is tops with HTTYD second....both use a lot of depth....I'm fine with not having a ton of popout if the movies uses a ton of depth and makes me feel like I'm there....if it uses neither or very little of either one then I'm disappointed and feel like I wasted the extra money I spent for 3d.

post #1277 of 1882 Old 08-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

I agree on your popout comment. I don't need popout if depth is strong. Avatar was relatively weak to me most of the film, but occasionally had a scene with strong depth like the one I mentioned a few posts ago. HTTYD absolutely kills Avatar in the depth department for strength and consistency to my eyes and is a great 3d disc in general. Same goes for M v A. Both those animated titles leave Avatar in the dust as far as depth in particular and pop of course is no contest.

post #1278 of 1882 Old 08-11-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Rise of the Guardians might be my new favorite 3D demo disc...the Dreamworks Animation logo with the snow was demo material...and it lingered for awhile in slow motion which made it even better...lots of depth and pop-out effects throughout as well...I didn't particularly like the story all that much but it got a bit better with a 2nd viewing...not in the same category as Dreamworks best titles-- How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda and Megamind
post #1279 of 1882 Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Dreamworks discs have excellent 3d in general. M v A is probably my favorite DW for 3d, but I have been impressed with most if not all the DW titles I have seen.

SA is still probably tops for me overall though. That disc has not only very strong and consistent depth, but amazing pop as well. It has it all! cool.gif

post #1280 of 1882 Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason8DF View Post

I don't own either of those and refuse to pay the ridiculous eBay prices so I can't comment.

you don't need to buy the discs...if you have premium channels (HBO, Starz, Epix etc) you can watch the 3D movies OnDemand...won't be the same video/audio quality as a Blu-ray but you still get an excellent 3D experience
post #1281 of 1882 Old 08-12-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Haven't seen any 3D On Demand with Directv?
post #1282 of 1882 Old 08-12-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Haven't seen any 3D On Demand with Directv?

I'm not sure if DirecTv has on demand for all of the premium channels the way cable does. Plus it seems to be a feature available only on certain boxes? directv owners correct me if I'm wrong. It's been awhile since I've had them.....cable on the other hand (Xfinity for example) has a ton of 3d things to choose from. Every premium channel plus 3d content on "regular" channels and special documentaries etc. Both cable and satellite do have dedicated 3d channels that play 3d stuff all day....As was noted you will lose some pic quality....especially on cable which mainly uses TnB or SbS format 3d which I believe essentially cuts the already compressed resolution of the pic in half. Nonetheless its a good way to test drive your system and get a feeler if you don't want to pay the premium for 3d yet.....another thing to do is to watch Best Buy....more specifically their website....they tend to put 3d movies on sale with NO advertising.....when they're on sale you generally save $15 and up. I've gotten a few movies for $17 which was around the same price as the equivalent 2d only version. But likewise if they're not on sale then yeah...$30 and up it seems eek.gif

post #1283 of 1882 Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I think Rise of the Guardians might be my new favorite 3D demo disc...the Dreamworks Animation logo with the snow was demo material...and it lingered for awhile in slow motion which made it even better...lots of depth and pop-out effects throughout as well...I didn't particularly like the story all that much but it got a bit better with a 2nd viewing...not in the same category as Dreamworks best titles-- How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda and Megamind
After reading your post I viewed Rise of the Guardians again and I was really impressed with the 3D,really great (probably better than Avatar). As you said the story was better the second time.
post #1284 of 1882 Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

After reading your post I viewed Rise of the Guardians again and I was really impressed with the 3D,really great (probably better than Avatar). As you said the story was better the second time.

it had really great 5.1 audio as well...the surround speakers were really effective whenever the Pitch character was on screen and kept moving around the soundfield...great overall audio/video/3D presentation which is why I like it
post #1285 of 1882 Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I can't believe there are several thumbs saying Avatar is average. Technology has advanced but its still reference quality for me. The reason it was so successful was that it created an entire world and let the viewer play in it. Thats a far more substantial achievement than having Jet Li throw spears at the camera. There will always be an argument for pop-out vs immersion. Usually I am all for pop-out but I still think Avatar does immersion as well as any 3D movie out there (though there are admittedly many I haven't seen). Star Trek and Pacific Rim could easily challenge it though.
post #1286 of 1882 Old 08-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post

I can't believe there are several thumbs saying Avatar is average. Technology has advanced but its still reference quality for me. The reason it was so successful was that it created an entire world and let the viewer play in it. Thats a far more substantial achievement than having Jet Li throw spears at the camera. There will always be an argument for pop-out vs immersion. Usually I am all for pop-out but I still think Avatar does immersion as well as any 3D movie out there (though there are admittedly many I haven't seen). Star Trek and Pacific Rim could easily challenge it though.

Once again, my opinion has NOTHING to with popout, strictly 3d depth. It also has nothing to do with the importance of Avatar as a 3d movie in general as far as what it has done for 3d which I agree with. The 3d depth is a bit conservative IMO vs many other titles both live action and especially animated and it just has not held up for me over time as I have revisited it after watching more and more 3d. The difference in general depth between something like Under the Sea, M v A (to name a few) and Avatar is unmistakable on my various displays and the Panny plasma I have sampled this on. Just as you are surprised by my comments, I am equally surprised by yours that you don't see the difference in general depth between Avatar and many of the titles I have mentioned. confused.gif I honestly don't know how anyone could call the depth 3d in Avatar "strong" vs the competition, especially something like (again, just talking strictly depth 3d for the moment) Flying Swords of Dragonsgate which leaves Avatar in the dust for depth in general.

We are going in circles at this point though and will just have to agree to disagree.

post #1287 of 1882 Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 3d depth is a bit conservative IMO vs many other titles both live action and especially animated and it just has not held up for me over time as I have revisited it after watching more and more 3d. The difference in general depth between something like Under the Sea, M v A (to name a few) and Avatar is unmistakable on my various displays and the Panny plasma I have sampled this on. Just as you are surprised by my comments, I am equally surprised by yours that you don't see the difference in general depth between Avatar and many of the titles I have mentioned. confused.gif I honestly don't know how anyone could call the depth 3d in Avatar "strong" vs the competition, especially something like (again, just talking strictly depth 3d for the moment) Flying Swords of Dragonsgate which leaves Avatar in the dust for depth in general.

you are entitled to your opinion and it's perfectly fine but you keep insisting that no one but you can see the lack of 3D depth and the average overall quality of Avatar's 3D...it's you who are in the minority with that opinion so maybe you need to take a closer look at why so many reputable professional reviewers and people who do this for a living have such high praise for the depth in that movie...you stated earlier that the Avatar hype has contributed to people going overboard with their praise...speaking for myself I can say that it has absolutely nothing to do wikth hype...I didn't particularly like the movie itself (except for the video quality) so if anything I was predisposed to not liking the 3D...but as an impartial review I can't help but be impressed with it

like I said nothing's wrong with going against the grain but to go against what most professionals and those in the industry all agree to be a reference 3D presentation mkes it appear that maybe it's your setup or something else causing you to not see the 3D depth...James Cameron is the guy who 're-invented' 3D and not for pop-out but for depth so there is no doubt he got it right
post #1288 of 1882 Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 PM

Liked: 15
Avatar 3D on my Epson 5020 is still one of my best 3D discs and I own Life of Pi, Prometheus, and most of the good ones.
post #1289 of 1882 Old 08-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

you are entitled to your opinion and it's perfectly fine but you keep insisting that no one but you can see the lack of 3D depth and the average overall quality of Avatar's 3D...it's you who are in the minority with that opinion so maybe you need to take a closer look at why so many reputable professional reviewers and people who do this for a living have such high praise for the depth in that movie...you stated earlier that the Avatar hype has contributed to people going overboard with their praise...speaking for myself I can say that it has absolutely nothing to do wikth hype...I didn't particularly like the movie itself (except for the video quality) so if anything I was predisposed to not liking the 3D...but as an impartial review I can't help but be impressed with it

like I said nothing's wrong with going against the grain but to go against what most professionals and those in the industry all agree to be a reference 3D presentation mkes it appear that maybe it's your setup or something else causing you to not see the 3D depth...James Cameron is the guy who 're-invented' 3D and not for pop-out but for depth so there is no doubt he got it right

Whatever.... rolleyes.gif I stand by my opinion as do you. How about we leave it at that. I have viewed the film on four different displays including 2 Lcos projectors, a DLP projector and a Panny plasma with the same results, so we can take an equipment issue out of the equation. Depth is average on this title overall, you and others don't agree, fine. Let's move on.....

post #1290 of 1882 Old 08-15-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Lets move on from the Avatar arguing back to the argument if popout is a gimmick or not LOL
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page