Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1882 Old 09-18-2013, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Potato Cod scene IS impressive in Under the Sea!

The best scene out there imo. What I don't understand is why other movies and video games can't seem to produce anything near as awesome. Wouldn't a horror flick with a creature crawling out of the TV be terrifying? Would video games with items flying toward the player be amazing? I just don't get it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1882 Old 09-19-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post

The best scene out there imo. What I don't understand is why other movies and video games can't seem to produce anything near as awesome. Wouldn't a horror flick with a creature crawling out of the TV be terrifying? Would video games with items flying toward the player be amazing? I just don't get it...
It would be physiologically tiring to have that happening all the time.

On a related note, documentaries tend to have stronger depth than movies because they are usually much shorter in length- a documentary with stronger depth will tire viewers in general more quickly.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #1443 of 1882 Old 09-19-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Who said it has to be done repeatedly? A few times in a movie used in key scenes would be awesome.
post #1444 of 1882 Old 09-19-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who said it has to be done repeatedly? A few times in a movie used in key scenes would be awesome.
Having shot 3D for a year, all anyone ever did when I explained what I was shooting, was gesture in and out with their hands. So I'm pretty sick of popout effects.

My Videos

post #1445 of 1882 Old 09-20-2013, 12:17 PM

Liked: 15
Just watched Oz, The Great and Powerful in 3D and while the movie didn't live up to it's name I thought the 3D was some of the best I've seen at home so far (Optoma HD25e with Estar RF 3D glasses). Great depth and very colorful.
post #1446 of 1882 Old 09-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just watched Rise of the Guardians 3D, it was a great 3D movie. Depth & Pop, great colors great Audio. For sure a Top 5 3D movie.
post #1447 of 1882 Old 09-24-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Watched WWZ over the weekend. It was better than I expected but the 3D was uninspired.
post #1448 of 1882 Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post

Watched WWZ over the weekend. It was better than I expected but the 3D was uninspired.

I felt the same way, enjoyed the suspense filled movie but the 3D was nothing special. But I do think the 3D did add something to the movie and I was glad I saw it in 3D.
post #1449 of 1882 Old 09-26-2013, 02:02 AM

I totally agree with all the comments saying 3D needs to make an impact, whether that be negative or positive parallax (ideally both). Just can't see the point with these subtle 3D effect films, you're far better off watching in 2D if the PQ is top of your priority list. It's certainly top of mine with films like The Hobbit and Prometheus, wouldn't dream of watching either in 3D!!

For me, the stand out 3D animated film so far is Monsters v Aliens (although I have to say Brave looks fairly promising). It has outstanding depth for pretty much the entire movie, including close up shots, and more negative parallax than you can shake a very long pointy stick at !! Any fan of animated 3D needs shooting if this is missing from their collection.

As for non-animated (although full of CGI) I reckon Avengers Assemble is superb. The final 45mins or so alone has more outstanding 3D than pretty much any other movie has in it's 2hr plus runtime.
post #1450 of 1882 Old 09-26-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by anfalas View Post

It's certainly top of mine with films like The Hobbit and Prometheus, wouldn't dream of watching either in 3D!!
That's funny, because I can't dream of NOT watching either one of those in 3D.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #1451 of 1882 Old 09-27-2013, 03:32 AM

Haha!! ....which goes to show what a pointless thread this is, because everyones expectations of 3D are completely different - it's all good fun though, with some interesting points of view smile.gif
post #1452 of 1882 Old 09-27-2013, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Haha!! ....which goes to show what a pointless thread this is, because everyones expectations of 3D are completely different - it's all good fun though, with some interesting points of view smile.gif

You just quoted two film shoot in 3d and said you don't like the 3d then talked about how great one shoot in 2d and converted was. eek.giftongue.gif Admittedly Avengers used probably the most aggressive non gimmicky in a feature film besides Hugo to date.

I have yet to see Life of Pi as I am waiting for my new projector setup to be done first. My vote goes to Hugo, Avatar and Coraline. Avatar may not have the most depth but it draws you into the world of Pandora in a away the 2d release simply isn't able to.
post #1453 of 1882 Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

You just quoted two film shoot in 3d and said you don't like the 3d then talked about how great one shoot in 2d and converted was. eek.giftongue.gif Admittedly Avengers used probably the most aggressive non gimmicky in a feature film besides Hugo to date.

I have yet to see Life of Pi as I am waiting for my new projector setup to be done first. My vote goes to Hugo, Avatar and Coraline. Avatar may not have the most depth but it draws you into the world of Pandora in a away the 2d release simply isn't able to.

Sorry, I don't see the relevance of whether the film was shot in 2D or 3D - films shot in 3D are not automatically > than those shot in 2D anyway. I simply said some films don't suit 3D in my opinion, I'm not interested what they were shot in.

I totally agree with you on Coraline, absolutely outstanding 3D and transfer cool.gif Also agree on Avatar, although I thought everyone was bored to tears of discussing Avatar eek.gif I haven't seen Hugo yet..........
post #1454 of 1882 Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Prometheus' 3D was great. It was subtle at times, but Ridley Scott dialed it up and down.

The Hobbit, I agree, was pretty unexciting. Peter Jackson had good intentions- he was a fan of 3D as he shot 3D photos on the set of the LOTR films-- but he doesn't actually know how to use it to enhance a story.

My Videos

post #1455 of 1882 Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Lovers of 3d will forever be indebted to Avatar. It was the movie that showed the world what the 3d of today is capable of.

Too bad 3d movies of that quality are so few and far between. However when one of those special 3d movies do come around, it reminds you of the level of immersion that 2d could never achieve. Then it validates spending hundreds and thousands on a 3d setup!
post #1456 of 1882 Old 09-27-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Anyone seen A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape from Paradise 3D? The original Sammys Escape is infamous for its 3D, am curious how the sequel lives up in the 3D department
post #1457 of 1882 Old 09-28-2013, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 124
^^
Posts 1242 & 1244 have my thoughts...smile.gif
post #1458 of 1882 Old 09-28-2013, 10:43 AM

Both Sammy 1 & 2 have the best directed, boldest, WOW 3D there is. They are available in real Blu-Ray 3D. I had mine shipped from Hong Kong.
post #1459 of 1882 Old 09-29-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Anyone seen A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape from Paradise 3D? The original Sammys Escape is infamous for its 3D, am curious how the sequel lives up in the 3D department

The 3D on 2 is very good and just about everything takes place in your living room so if you like cartoons you'll love it.
post #1460 of 1882 Old 09-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, I don't see the relevance of whether the film was shot in 2D or 3D - films shot in 3D are not automatically > than those shot in 2D anyway. I simply said some films don't suit 3D in my opinion, I'm not interested what they were shot in.

I totally agree with you on Coraline, absolutely outstanding 3D and transfer cool.gif Also agree on Avatar, although I thought everyone was bored to tears of discussing Avatar eek.gif I haven't seen Hugo yet..........

Sorry about that I was being sarcastic and was meaning to put in my number 1 demo for 3d is the start of The Lion Kind which as you know/can guess is a conversion. Dead pan humor really is hard to express without a voice behind it. The Lion King is just a film that everyone seems to like and has a nice conversion as well, also the intro is just music to visuals which allows people to focus on 3d in a way that fells more natural then when there is dialogue (for evaluation purposes). I should have my new projector today and have a day off work tomorrow, so I think I shall be having a 3d marathon in ghost free 3d (DLP projector cool.gif)

For me the films that made me go 3d is what I want to see more of was Beowulf (despite the gimmicky shoots), Coraline (showed me how well it can work in dramatic non action scenes) and Monsters Vs Aliens. By the time Avatar came around I was already convinced and was just excited to see one of the masters of action using it for a feature film. I want to see horror films utilize it in a non gimmicky way and some adult focused dramas to utilize it as well (I so wish Scorsese and Ridley Scott's latest films had been shoot in 3d).
Quote:

I haven't seen the whole film, the little I did see I didn't like. This is of course not a great assessment as I haven't seen the whole film but everything seemed to be placed in front of the screen with little behind it which limited the depth the 3d provided (it felt more like a 2.5d film to me or a kids pop up book). I do plan on watching the whole film one day though. smile.gif
post #1461 of 1882 Old 10-02-2013, 05:37 AM

So is Avatar the best 3D movie available? I have it, but haven't watched in 3D yet. Theater room is almost complete.
post #1462 of 1882 Old 10-02-2013, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe603 View Post

So is Avatar the best 3D movie available? I have it, but haven't watched in 3D yet. Theater room is almost complete.

There is no best as what makes something the best is variable. For me I would say Hugo is the best 3d I have ever seen (something the director of Avatar agrees with me on). Avatar however is an excellent film and an equally good choice for trying out a new home cinema. Reference video (in both 3d and 2d) and audio, amazing action scenes and a well told and engrossing story.
post #1463 of 1882 Old 10-03-2013, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Just saw The Great Gatsby in 3d. I was extremely impressed with the 3d. It was eye candy the whole time! I actually enjoyed the movie as well. I cannot imagine how inferior the 2d version is. This movie was made from the ground up for 3d. Like Hugo, I can imagine how many won't like the story. However if you do, it is an amazing experience.
post #1464 of 1882 Old 10-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe603 View Post

Not even close to the best IMO, but if you read back through this thread you can read all those thoughts and the thoughts of those who feel the opposite. Avatar IMO is the most overrated 3d blu ray yet, but many people feel it is the best or one of the best. 3d is VERY subjective for a variety of reasons to say the least! tongue.gif Best to watch and rank it for yourself against everything else you have seen on blu ray 3d.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1465 of 1882 Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Sorry about that I was being sarcastic and was meaning to put in my number 1 demo for 3d is the start of The Lion Kind which as you know/can guess is a conversion. Dead pan humor really is hard to express without a voice behind it. The Lion King is just a film that everyone seems to like and has a nice conversion as well, also the intro is just music to visuals which allows people to focus on 3d in a way that fells more natural then when there is dialogue (for evaluation purposes). I should have my new projector today and have a day off work tomorrow, so I think I shall be having a 3d marathon in ghost free 3d (DLP projector cool.gif)

For me the films that made me go 3d is what I want to see more of was Beowulf (despite the gimmicky shoots), Coraline (showed me how well it can work in dramatic non action scenes) and Monsters Vs Aliens. By the time Avatar came around I was already convinced and was just excited to see one of the masters of action using it for a feature film. I want to see horror films utilize it in a non gimmicky way and some adult focused dramas to utilize it as well (I so wish Scorsese and Ridley Scott's latest films had been shoot in 3d).
I haven't seen the whole film, the little I did see I didn't like. This is of course not a great assessment as I haven't seen the whole film but everything seemed to be placed in front of the screen with little behind it which limited the depth the 3d provided (it felt more like a 2.5d film to me or a kids pop up book). I do plan on watching the whole film one day though. smile.gif

No need for the apology, and I seriously doubt you could be more sarcastic than I am!! smile.gif

I'm so glad you brought up Beowulf, one of the best animated movies ever made in my view. I've got it on DVD somewhere but based on the fact that I agree the vast majority of your selections so far I'll most likely pull the trigger on that one in 3D on your recommendation alone. Have a nice day wink.gif

Having said that where do you get Beowulf 3D? (or did you mean that is a film you'd like to have seen done in 3D?)
post #1466 of 1882 Old 10-03-2013, 10:24 AM

Liked: 38
House of Wax (1953) just hit the stores....check it out.

Also, Creature from the Black Lagoon, is fun....and Hitchcock fans need to see Dial M for Murder.

For an excellent 2d to 3d conversion, both Titanic and Jurassic Park are good.
post #1467 of 1882 Old 10-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUL View Post

House of Wax (1953) just hit the stores....check it out.

Also, Creature from the Black Lagoon, is fun....and Hitchcock fans need to see Dial M for Murder.

For an excellent 2d to 3d conversion, both Titanic and Jurassic Park are good.

Any word on whether hous of wax is region locked?

Quote:

No need for the apology, and I seriously doubt you could be more sarcastic than I am!! smile.gif

I'm so glad you brought up Beowulf, one of the best animated movies ever made in my view. I've got it on DVD somewhere but based on the fact that I agree the vast majority of your selections so far I'll most likely pull the trigger on that one in 3D on your recommendation alone. Have a nice day wink.gif

Having said that where do you get Beowulf 3D? (or did you mean that is a film you'd like to have seen done in 3D?)

Unfortunately Beowulf is still not available in 3d on blu-ray. It is available via several streaming services. I should have mentioned that, it is more or less know my most anticipated uncatalogued release.
post #1468 of 1882 Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 PM

I hear that Gravity is an awesome 3D movie, yet it's not originally shot in 3D, it's a conversion. How could this be.
post #1469 of 1882 Old 10-03-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by alipas View Post

I hear that Gravity is an awesome 3D movie, yet it's not originally shot in 3D, it's a conversion. How could this be.

With regard to live action elements, conversions like Titanic and Jurassic Park have shown that if you take the time to do it right, post-conversion can look every bit as convincing as native 3D. Also, much of Gravity is CGI so it should be pretty straightforward to create the requisite left and right images.
post #1470 of 1882 Old 10-03-2013, 10:26 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alipas View Post

Conversions can result in great 3d, but the trick is filming with 3d in mind so you can take advantage of the depth in all of the scenes. Story is he guy who did this movie really wanted to do it in 3d and planned accordingly.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page