Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects - Page 49 - AVS Forum
First ... 47  48  49 50  51  ... Last
3D Content > Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects
johnny905's Avatar johnny905 06:58 PM 09-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Potato Cod scene IS impressive in Under the Sea!

The best scene out there imo. What I don't understand is why other movies and video games can't seem to produce anything near as awesome. Wouldn't a horror flick with a creature crawling out of the TV be terrifying? Would video games with items flying toward the player be amazing? I just don't get it...

cakefoo's Avatar cakefoo 02:13 PM 09-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post

The best scene out there imo. What I don't understand is why other movies and video games can't seem to produce anything near as awesome. Wouldn't a horror flick with a creature crawling out of the TV be terrifying? Would video games with items flying toward the player be amazing? I just don't get it...
It would be physiologically tiring to have that happening all the time.

On a related note, documentaries tend to have stronger depth than movies because they are usually much shorter in length- a documentary with stronger depth will tire viewers in general more quickly.
WynsWrld98's Avatar WynsWrld98 02:41 PM 09-19-2013
Who said it has to be done repeatedly? A few times in a movie used in key scenes would be awesome.
cakefoo's Avatar cakefoo 10:14 PM 09-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Who said it has to be done repeatedly? A few times in a movie used in key scenes would be awesome.
Having shot 3D for a year, all anyone ever did when I explained what I was shooting, was gesture in and out with their hands. So I'm pretty sick of popout effects.
terry2's Avatar terry2 01:17 PM 09-20-2013
Just watched Oz, The Great and Powerful in 3D and while the movie didn't live up to it's name I thought the 3D was some of the best I've seen at home so far (Optoma HD25e with Estar RF 3D glasses). Great depth and very colorful.
alipas's Avatar alipas 01:41 PM 09-24-2013
Just watched Rise of the Guardians 3D, it was a great 3D movie. Depth & Pop, great colors great Audio. For sure a Top 5 3D movie.
coolhand's Avatar coolhand 02:02 PM 09-24-2013
Watched WWZ over the weekend. It was better than I expected but the 3D was uninspired.
hyperslug's Avatar hyperslug 11:36 AM 09-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post

Watched WWZ over the weekend. It was better than I expected but the 3D was uninspired.

I felt the same way, enjoyed the suspense filled movie but the 3D was nothing special. But I do think the 3D did add something to the movie and I was glad I saw it in 3D.
anfalas's Avatar anfalas 03:02 AM 09-26-2013
I totally agree with all the comments saying 3D needs to make an impact, whether that be negative or positive parallax (ideally both). Just can't see the point with these subtle 3D effect films, you're far better off watching in 2D if the PQ is top of your priority list. It's certainly top of mine with films like The Hobbit and Prometheus, wouldn't dream of watching either in 3D!!

For me, the stand out 3D animated film so far is Monsters v Aliens (although I have to say Brave looks fairly promising). It has outstanding depth for pretty much the entire movie, including close up shots, and more negative parallax than you can shake a very long pointy stick at !! Any fan of animated 3D needs shooting if this is missing from their collection.

As for non-animated (although full of CGI) I reckon Avengers Assemble is superb. The final 45mins or so alone has more outstanding 3D than pretty much any other movie has in it's 2hr plus runtime.
Jedi2016's Avatar Jedi2016 09:20 PM 09-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by anfalas View Post

It's certainly top of mine with films like The Hobbit and Prometheus, wouldn't dream of watching either in 3D!!
That's funny, because I can't dream of NOT watching either one of those in 3D.
anfalas's Avatar anfalas 04:32 AM 09-27-2013
Haha!! ....which goes to show what a pointless thread this is, because everyones expectations of 3D are completely different - it's all good fun though, with some interesting points of view smile.gif
FilmReverie's Avatar FilmReverie 06:05 AM 09-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by anfalas View Post

Haha!! ....which goes to show what a pointless thread this is, because everyones expectations of 3D are completely different - it's all good fun though, with some interesting points of view smile.gif

You just quoted two film shoot in 3d and said you don't like the 3d then talked about how great one shoot in 2d and converted was. eek.giftongue.gif Admittedly Avengers used probably the most aggressive non gimmicky in a feature film besides Hugo to date.

I have yet to see Life of Pi as I am waiting for my new projector setup to be done first. My vote goes to Hugo, Avatar and Coraline. Avatar may not have the most depth but it draws you into the world of Pandora in a away the 2d release simply isn't able to.
anfalas's Avatar anfalas 09:42 AM 09-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

You just quoted two film shoot in 3d and said you don't like the 3d then talked about how great one shoot in 2d and converted was. eek.giftongue.gif Admittedly Avengers used probably the most aggressive non gimmicky in a feature film besides Hugo to date.

I have yet to see Life of Pi as I am waiting for my new projector setup to be done first. My vote goes to Hugo, Avatar and Coraline. Avatar may not have the most depth but it draws you into the world of Pandora in a away the 2d release simply isn't able to.

Sorry, I don't see the relevance of whether the film was shot in 2D or 3D - films shot in 3D are not automatically > than those shot in 2D anyway. I simply said some films don't suit 3D in my opinion, I'm not interested what they were shot in.

I totally agree with you on Coraline, absolutely outstanding 3D and transfer cool.gif Also agree on Avatar, although I thought everyone was bored to tears of discussing Avatar eek.gif I haven't seen Hugo yet..........
cakefoo's Avatar cakefoo 10:32 AM 09-27-2013
Prometheus' 3D was great. It was subtle at times, but Ridley Scott dialed it up and down.

The Hobbit, I agree, was pretty unexciting. Peter Jackson had good intentions- he was a fan of 3D as he shot 3D photos on the set of the LOTR films-- but he doesn't actually know how to use it to enhance a story.
johnsmith808's Avatar johnsmith808 09:09 PM 09-27-2013
Lovers of 3d will forever be indebted to Avatar. It was the movie that showed the world what the 3d of today is capable of.

Too bad 3d movies of that quality are so few and far between. However when one of those special 3d movies do come around, it reminds you of the level of immersion that 2d could never achieve. Then it validates spending hundreds and thousands on a 3d setup!
WynsWrld98's Avatar WynsWrld98 11:37 PM 09-27-2013
Anyone seen A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape from Paradise 3D? The original Sammys Escape is infamous for its 3D, am curious how the sequel lives up in the 3D department
laugsbach's Avatar laugsbach 04:37 AM 09-28-2013
^^
Posts 1242 & 1244 have my thoughts...smile.gif
Doc M's Avatar Doc M 11:43 AM 09-28-2013
Both Sammy 1 & 2 have the best directed, boldest, WOW 3D there is. They are available in real Blu-Ray 3D. I had mine shipped from Hong Kong.
joed32's Avatar joed32 07:37 AM 09-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Anyone seen A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape from Paradise 3D? The original Sammys Escape is infamous for its 3D, am curious how the sequel lives up in the 3D department

The 3D on 2 is very good and just about everything takes place in your living room so if you like cartoons you'll love it.
FilmReverie's Avatar FilmReverie 04:04 PM 09-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by anfalas View Post

Sorry, I don't see the relevance of whether the film was shot in 2D or 3D - films shot in 3D are not automatically > than those shot in 2D anyway. I simply said some films don't suit 3D in my opinion, I'm not interested what they were shot in.

I totally agree with you on Coraline, absolutely outstanding 3D and transfer cool.gif Also agree on Avatar, although I thought everyone was bored to tears of discussing Avatar eek.gif I haven't seen Hugo yet..........

Sorry about that I was being sarcastic and was meaning to put in my number 1 demo for 3d is the start of The Lion Kind which as you know/can guess is a conversion. Dead pan humor really is hard to express without a voice behind it. The Lion King is just a film that everyone seems to like and has a nice conversion as well, also the intro is just music to visuals which allows people to focus on 3d in a way that fells more natural then when there is dialogue (for evaluation purposes). I should have my new projector today and have a day off work tomorrow, so I think I shall be having a 3d marathon in ghost free 3d (DLP projector cool.gif)

For me the films that made me go 3d is what I want to see more of was Beowulf (despite the gimmicky shoots), Coraline (showed me how well it can work in dramatic non action scenes) and Monsters Vs Aliens. By the time Avatar came around I was already convinced and was just excited to see one of the masters of action using it for a feature film. I want to see horror films utilize it in a non gimmicky way and some adult focused dramas to utilize it as well (I so wish Scorsese and Ridley Scott's latest films had been shoot in 3d).
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Anyone seen A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape from Paradise 3D? The original Sammys Escape is infamous for its 3D, am curious how the sequel lives up in the 3D department

I haven't seen the whole film, the little I did see I didn't like. This is of course not a great assessment as I haven't seen the whole film but everything seemed to be placed in front of the screen with little behind it which limited the depth the 3d provided (it felt more like a 2.5d film to me or a kids pop up book). I do plan on watching the whole film one day though. smile.gif
joe603's Avatar joe603 06:37 AM 10-02-2013
So is Avatar the best 3D movie available? I have it, but haven't watched in 3D yet. Theater room is almost complete.
FilmReverie's Avatar FilmReverie 06:45 AM 10-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe603 View Post

So is Avatar the best 3D movie available? I have it, but haven't watched in 3D yet. Theater room is almost complete.

There is no best as what makes something the best is variable. For me I would say Hugo is the best 3d I have ever seen (something the director of Avatar agrees with me on). Avatar however is an excellent film and an equally good choice for trying out a new home cinema. Reference video (in both 3d and 2d) and audio, amazing action scenes and a well told and engrossing story.
johnsmith808's Avatar johnsmith808 05:14 AM 10-03-2013
Just saw The Great Gatsby in 3d. I was extremely impressed with the 3d. It was eye candy the whole time! I actually enjoyed the movie as well. I cannot imagine how inferior the 2d version is. This movie was made from the ground up for 3d. Like Hugo, I can imagine how many won't like the story. However if you do, it is an amazing experience.
Toe's Avatar Toe 10:02 AM 10-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe603 View Post

So is Avatar the best 3D movie available? I have it, but haven't watched in 3D yet. Theater room is almost complete.

Not even close to the best IMO, but if you read back through this thread you can read all those thoughts and the thoughts of those who feel the opposite. Avatar IMO is the most overrated 3d blu ray yet, but many people feel it is the best or one of the best. 3d is VERY subjective for a variety of reasons to say the least! tongue.gif Best to watch and rank it for yourself against everything else you have seen on blu ray 3d.
anfalas's Avatar anfalas 10:57 AM 10-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Sorry about that I was being sarcastic and was meaning to put in my number 1 demo for 3d is the start of The Lion Kind which as you know/can guess is a conversion. Dead pan humor really is hard to express without a voice behind it. The Lion King is just a film that everyone seems to like and has a nice conversion as well, also the intro is just music to visuals which allows people to focus on 3d in a way that fells more natural then when there is dialogue (for evaluation purposes). I should have my new projector today and have a day off work tomorrow, so I think I shall be having a 3d marathon in ghost free 3d (DLP projector cool.gif)

For me the films that made me go 3d is what I want to see more of was Beowulf (despite the gimmicky shoots), Coraline (showed me how well it can work in dramatic non action scenes) and Monsters Vs Aliens. By the time Avatar came around I was already convinced and was just excited to see one of the masters of action using it for a feature film. I want to see horror films utilize it in a non gimmicky way and some adult focused dramas to utilize it as well (I so wish Scorsese and Ridley Scott's latest films had been shoot in 3d).
I haven't seen the whole film, the little I did see I didn't like. This is of course not a great assessment as I haven't seen the whole film but everything seemed to be placed in front of the screen with little behind it which limited the depth the 3d provided (it felt more like a 2.5d film to me or a kids pop up book). I do plan on watching the whole film one day though. smile.gif

No need for the apology, and I seriously doubt you could be more sarcastic than I am!! smile.gif

I'm so glad you brought up Beowulf, one of the best animated movies ever made in my view. I've got it on DVD somewhere but based on the fact that I agree the vast majority of your selections so far I'll most likely pull the trigger on that one in 3D on your recommendation alone. Have a nice day wink.gif

Having said that where do you get Beowulf 3D? (or did you mean that is a film you'd like to have seen done in 3D?)
JSUL's Avatar JSUL 11:24 AM 10-03-2013
House of Wax (1953) just hit the stores....check it out.

Also, Creature from the Black Lagoon, is fun....and Hitchcock fans need to see Dial M for Murder.

For an excellent 2d to 3d conversion, both Titanic and Jurassic Park are good.
FilmReverie's Avatar FilmReverie 03:49 PM 10-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUL View Post

House of Wax (1953) just hit the stores....check it out.

Also, Creature from the Black Lagoon, is fun....and Hitchcock fans need to see Dial M for Murder.

For an excellent 2d to 3d conversion, both Titanic and Jurassic Park are good.

Any word on whether hous of wax is region locked?


Quote:
Originally Posted by anfalas View Post

No need for the apology, and I seriously doubt you could be more sarcastic than I am!! smile.gif

I'm so glad you brought up Beowulf, one of the best animated movies ever made in my view. I've got it on DVD somewhere but based on the fact that I agree the vast majority of your selections so far I'll most likely pull the trigger on that one in 3D on your recommendation alone. Have a nice day wink.gif

Having said that where do you get Beowulf 3D? (or did you mean that is a film you'd like to have seen done in 3D?)

Unfortunately Beowulf is still not available in 3d on blu-ray. It is available via several streaming services. I should have mentioned that, it is more or less know my most anticipated uncatalogued release.
alipas's Avatar alipas 06:34 PM 10-03-2013
I hear that Gravity is an awesome 3D movie, yet it's not originally shot in 3D, it's a conversion. How could this be.
TonyDP's Avatar TonyDP 06:36 PM 10-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alipas View Post

I hear that Gravity is an awesome 3D movie, yet it's not originally shot in 3D, it's a conversion. How could this be.

With regard to live action elements, conversions like Titanic and Jurassic Park have shown that if you take the time to do it right, post-conversion can look every bit as convincing as native 3D. Also, much of Gravity is CGI so it should be pretty straightforward to create the requisite left and right images.
Isnoreatmovies's Avatar Isnoreatmovies 11:26 PM 10-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alipas View Post

I hear that Gravity is an awesome 3D movie, yet it's not originally shot in 3D, it's a conversion. How could this be.

Conversions can result in great 3d, but the trick is filming with 3d in mind so you can take advantage of the depth in all of the scenes. Story is he guy who did this movie really wanted to do it in 3d and planned accordingly.
Tags: Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
First ... 47  48  49 50  51  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop