Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 1893 Old 11-25-2013, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Same here. I haven't seen Dial M For Murder in a long time. I kind of think it might look good, but I don't know. Perhaps somebody who sees this and has seen the 3D BR can chime in on its PQ.

DIAL M FOR MURDER has a fair number of detractors who have complained about excessive crosstalk on their displays. But it looked fine on my (DLP) set. HOUSE OF WAX and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON are both fantastic.

I find it somewhat amusing that there are apparently two groups of 3D enthusiasts. (I'm not counting the rather vocal group of 3D-nonenthusiasts who can hardly wait for the demise of the format.)

Group 1, those who are old enough to remember the initial 3D titles and/or their occasional re-releases, seems convinced that these early 3D releases are superior to current releases (with respect to the 3D -- I'm not talking about the quality of the movies).

Group 2, those who are largely or wholly unfamiliar with the initial 1950s 3D releases, suspects that these early releases must be inferior in quality to more recent efforts. ("Crappy?")

I think that there are titles with excellent 3D in both categories. I see no reason whatsoever to prefer the quality of, say, HUGO to the quality of, say, HOUSE OF WAX (or vice versa). Great 3D is great 3D regardless of when the movie was filmed, and I don't think that there is anything about the early 3D technology that makes it inferior (or superior) to current 3D technology. I loved 3d fifty years ago and I love it still.

As far as conversions go, many are so-so, but a handful are excellent, and the technology is improving. I thought that JURASSIC PARK and (especially) TITANIC had wonderful 3D. Going the cheap route with largely automated conversions (I, ROBOT, JUMPER, the upcoming PREDATOR) is a depressing development that I fear will only serve to fuel the fire of the vociferous 3D critics out there.
JSUL likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1893 Old 11-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

DIAL M FOR MURDER has a fair number of detractors who have complained about excessive crosstalk on their displays. But it looked fine on my (DLP) set. HOUSE OF WAX and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON are both fantastic.

I find it somewhat amusing that there are apparently two groups of 3D enthusiasts. (I'm not counting the rather vocal group of 3D-nonenthusiasts who can hardly wait for the demise of the format.)

Group 1, those who are old enough to remember the initial 3D titles and/or their occasional re-releases, seems convinced that these early 3D releases are superior to current releases (with respect to the 3D -- I'm not talking about the quality of the movies).

Group 2, those who are largely or wholly unfamiliar with the initial 1950s 3D releases, suspects that these early releases must be inferior in quality to more recent efforts. ("Crappy?")

I think that there are titles with excellent 3D in both categories. I see no reason whatsoever to prefer the quality of, say, HUGO to the quality of, say, HOUSE OF WAX (or vice versa). Great 3D is great 3D regardless of when the movie was filmed, and I don't think that there is anything about the early 3D technology that makes it inferior (or superior) to current 3D technology. I loved 3d fifty years ago and I love it still.

As far as conversions go, many are so-so, but a handful are excellent, and the technology is improving. I thought that JURASSIC PARK and (especially) TITANIC had wonderful 3D. Going the cheap route with largely automated conversions (I, ROBOT, JUMPER, the upcoming PREDATOR) is a depressing development that I fear will only serve to fuel the fire of the vociferous 3D critics out there.

Thanks for the very informative post. And thanks for the warning on I, Robot. I like this movie and have been considering it at 17.99. But since I own the BR of it already I think I'll pass. I am waiting for Titanic to go lower in price as it did last Christmas. (Before I owned 3D equipment.)

I would like to get some of the older classics. I've heard Dial M is more subtle than most and I like the realistic application of 3D. I think that is what it needs to perfect to become an acceptable tool in filmmaking.

I thought Avatar was well done in its 3D use. Now I'm looking for Hugo and Life Of Pi. I want to get Captain America and some others as well but I just wait for a sale. Black Friday and all that might offer some opportunities.

I think 3D will eventually become a strong enough group of purchasers, but it will be slow. And perhaps new developments will come along that will elicit the interest of those who aren't into it; because of the added gear or whatever reason.
post #1623 of 1893 Old 11-25-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Titanic outstanding 3D conversion. Jurassic Park very good 3D conversion. Dial M is interesting in 3D worth a rental IMO.
JSUL likes this.
post #1624 of 1893 Old 11-25-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Is it me or are there no stand alone BR 3D discs? I see many with bundled packages (e.g., DVD, digital video, BR, 3D, etc.). Those bundled make them cost way more especially when I am only interested in BR 3D by itself. frown.gif
post #1625 of 1893 Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Is it me or are there no stand alone BR 3D discs? I see many with bundled packages (e.g., DVD, digital video, BR, 3D, etc.). Those bundled make them cost way more especially when I am only interested in BR 3D by itself. frown.gif

Well the extra cost of production is essentially non existent, they are just milking the early adopters/enthusiasts, yet at the same time upset that 3d isn't exploding as they wanted at home....

edit: just watched the french dreed 3d blu-ray. So much better then the au/eu release. The 3d is well implemented as well and never detracts and adds in many scenes with some spectacular results.
post #1626 of 1893 Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

There are very few, Oz the Great and Powerful comes to mind.
phildaant likes this.

post #1627 of 1893 Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

Quote:

There are very few, Oz the Great and Powerful comes to mind.
Thanks and bummer (didn't like that movie much). Wow, still expensive according to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Powerful-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy/dp/B00C7JG0KG/ (BR 3D + digital copy).

I hope this year's sales will have some good cheap new BR 3D discs I am looking for! http://www.salescircular.com/ca/software/bluryp.shtml shows $17.99 for the cheapest like Life of Pi. Bah.
post #1628 of 1893 Old 11-26-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks and bummer (didn't like that movie much). Wow, still expensive according to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Powerful-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy/dp/B00C7JG0KG/ (BR 3D + digital copy).

I hope this year's sales will have some good cheap BR 3Ds I am looking for!

Agree completely. Oz had every chance to be a great film and fell far short. Beautiful to look at. I think the plot was okay, I think the main character was miscast; a fine actor but wrong for the part. There was no weight to the characterization of the guy who, although a charlatan, needed to show that there was more beneath the surface. Maybe the script needed more attention. I was disappointed; seemed to be a missed opportunity.

And I too am hoping to see 3D discs in Black Friday sales.
post #1629 of 1893 Old 11-28-2013, 08:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

OK, I am debating to buy a movie soon. Life of Pi or Jurassic Park for a first BR 3D movie? Both movies were good, but which one is better to look visually on a new 80" Vizio HDTV screen and Sony BR player? wink.gif

I haven't seen either of those on bluray yet but I would suggest sticking with the 1:85 aspect ratio movies for your first one. I think both of those are but my recommendation would be The Avengers. There are lots of wow moments especially in the second half.
phildaant likes this.
post #1630 of 1893 Old 11-28-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmc View Post

Quote:

OK, I am debating to buy a movie soon. Life of Pi or Jurassic Park for a first BR 3D movie? Both movies were good, but which one is better to look visually on a new 80" Vizio HDTV screen and Sony BR player? wink.gif

I haven't seen either of those on bluray yet but I would suggest sticking with the 1:85 aspect ratio movies for your first one. I think both of those are but my recommendation would be The Avengers. There are lots of wow moments especially in the second half.
Hmm, I thought all/most of them were in correct aspect ratio formats. I did not see this fantastic comics movie in 3D, but in 2D HD at home. Is its 3D that good? Wasn't it converted?

FYI all, I haven't bought/ordered a BR 3D disc (doesn't have to be a movie either) yet! It will be mainly for testing and showing off on the new 80" Vizio HDTV with its 3D glasses and Sony BR player. wink.gif
post #1631 of 1893 Old 11-28-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Hmm, I thought all/most of them were in correct aspect ratio formats. I did not see this fantastic comics movie in 3D, but in 2D HD at home. Is its 3D that good? Wasn't it converted?

FYI all, I haven't bought/ordered a BR 3D disc (doesn't have to be a movie either) yet! It will be mainly for testing and showing off on the new 80" Vizio HDTV with its 3D glasses and Sony BR player. wink.gif

I was only thinking that since it was your first 3D BR you would want to use every bit of that 80 inches without any letterboxing. To me at least 3D presentations are way more immersive this way.

As for Avengers I think it was a conversion but it really delivers. For sheer 3D pop-out effect though, the best I've seen is the potato cod fish from Imax Under the Sea 3D.
post #1632 of 1893 Old 11-28-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I was only thinking that since it was your first 3D BR you would want to use every bit of that 80 inches without any letterboxing. To me at least 3D presentations are way more immersive this way.

As for Avengers I think it was a conversion but it really delivers. For sheer 3D pop-out effect though, the best I've seen is the potato cod fish from Imax Under the Sea 3D.
Ah, I am OK with black borders as long as I see EVERYTHING as it was originally shown. Only the potato cod fish? Heh, I am going to need more scenes that one. wink.gif
post #1633 of 1893 Old 11-28-2013, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Only the potato cod fish? Heh, I am going to need more scenes that one. wink.gif

There's alot more than the cod. Excellent title for a 1st 3D viewing.
phildaant likes this.
post #1634 of 1893 Old 11-28-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupterr View Post

Quote:

Only the potato cod fish? Heh, I am going to need more scenes that one. wink.gif

There's alot more than the cod. Excellent title for a 1st 3D viewing.
Oh good. Hmm, maybe I will get that instead since I love nature, like animals, stuff! Too bad there are none with ants in true 3D. Frak the movies. :P
post #1635 of 1893 Old 11-28-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Ah, I am OK with black borders as long as I see EVERYTHING as it was originally shown. Only the potato cod fish? Heh, I am going to need more scenes that one. wink.gif

Oh yeah I always want to see the original aspect ratio as well. This is specific to 3D movies on a tv. There is something about the black bars that interrupts the 3D effect for me. I try to stick close to native 1:85 movies when looking for new 3D blurays. My tv is a 67 inch so at 80 inches you might not notice what I am talking about. Please let us know if you do as I'll likely be upgrading one of these days.
post #1636 of 1893 Old 11-28-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Oh yeah I always want to see the original aspect ratio as well. This is specific to 3D movies on a tv. There is something about the black bars that interrupts the 3D effect for me. I try to stick close to native 1:85 movies when looking for new 3D blurays. My tv is a 67 inch so at 80 inches you might not notice what I am talking about. Please let us know if you do as I'll likely be upgrading one of these days.

Heck, I just have a 47" set and I still prefer OAR on 3D widescreen titles. I just sit closer.

post #1637 of 1893 Old 11-29-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Heck, I just have a 47" set and I still prefer OAR on 3D widescreen titles. I just sit closer.

I tried doing that but was still bothered by them. Don't get me wrong though. I will still buy a widescreen title in 3D over its 2D version. The new Hobbit Extended release immediately comes to mind.
post #1638 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Based on people's recommendations on 3D videos to play on a 80" Vizio HDTV in this awesome forum thread and on Amazon:

Titanic (4-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / Digital Copy):
$34.96: http://www.amazon.com/Titanic-Four-Disc-Combo-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B006H5120E/
A bit pricey! I wished there was a stand alone. I am pretty sure I won't get this one.

Jurassic Park (3D Blu-ray+Blu-ray+DVD+Digital Copy+UltraViolet):
$17.99: http://www.amazon.com/Jurassic-Park-Blu-ray-Digital-UltraViolet/dp/B00B4804KS/

Life of Pi (3 discs with BR 3D+DVD+digital+UV):
$17.99: http://www.amazon.com/Life-Pi-Blu-ray-Suraj-Sharma/dp/B00AB0Z88S/
Most likely getting.

Pacific Rim (3D Blu-ray+Blu-ray+DVD+UltraViolet Combo Pack):
$14.99: http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Blu-ray-UltraViolet-Combo-Pack/dp/B00E3IZIM0/
Wow, cheap. No one cares for this not good scifi movie?

IMAX: Under the Sea 3D (Single-Disc Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray Combo) (2010):
$14.99: http://www.amazon.com/IMAX-Under-Single-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B00447G2O8/
Non-movie. smile.gif

Maybe I will wait until CyberMonday for my final decision and maybe get cheaper prices? I only saw JP and Titanic movies years ago.
post #1639 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Based on people's recommendations on 3D videos to play on a 80" Vizio HDTV in this awesome forum thread and on Amazon:.

Based on Forum Recommendations - I suggest adding this LINK to your 3D Sources.
It is a Wikipedia Link - HERE.

In my TWO CENT OPINION - 3D Releases NOT created in 3D are a Waste of MONEY.
phildaant likes this.
post #1640 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Quote:

Based on people's recommendations on 3D videos to play on a 80" Vizio HDTV in this awesome forum thread and on Amazon:.

Based on Forum Recommendations - I suggest adding this LINK to your 3D Sources.
It is a Wikipedia Link - HERE.

In my TWO CENT OPINION - 3D Releases NOT created in 3D are a Waste of MONEY.
Nice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Blu-ray_3D_releases is a better list for this forum thread. Now, we just need to narrow down which ones have the best 3D effects. wink.gif

Interesting. Pacific Rim and Avengers movies were originally filmed in 2D with 3D conversions. There are so many of these! Bah.
post #1641 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. Pacific Rim and Avengers movies were originally filmed in 2D with 3D conversions. There are so many of these! Bah.

A BIG AMEN - Studios don't have any PRIDE in REAL 3D Movies
phildaant likes this.
post #1642 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

A BIG AMEN - Studios don't have any PRIDE in REAL 3D Movies
Annoying. Do you have your favorite picks of good 3D BR discs or did you already post it (too many posts in this very long thread!)? smile.gif
post #1643 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Annoying. Do you have your favorite picks of good 3D BR discs or did you already post it (too many posts in this very long thread!)? smile.gif

I OWN over 100 3D Blu-ray Movies - I would say only 10 are worth KEEPING.

When I give a 3D Demo in my Theater with 152" Screen - I use a 3D
Documentary.

It is SHOT and FUN to watch and the 3D is the BEST in my collection.
Every second of the Documentary is in REAL 3D and filmed with
3D Cameras.

"Legends of Flight"

phildaant likes this.
post #1644 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I OWN over 100 3D Blu-ray Movies - I would say only 10 are worth KEEPING.

When I give a 3D Demo in my Theater with 152" Screen - I use a 3D
Documentary.

It is SHOT and FUN to watch and the 3D is the BEST in my collection.
Every second of the Documentary is in REAL 3D and filmed with
3D Cameras.

"Legends of Flight"http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/140955/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
Interesting. Not into aviations much, but I would get it if it was really cheap. Too bad its rating isn't that good.

What are your other nine/9 picks? wink.gif
post #1645 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. Not into aviations much, but I would get it if it was really cheap. Too bad its rating isn't that good.

Only $16 on Amazon - that is CHEAP for a 3D Movie
post #1646 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Only $16 on Amazon - that is CHEAP for a 3D Movie
I was expecting cheaper like under 10/ten bucks for a not good documentary/movie. wink.gif http://camelcamelcamel.com/IMAX-Legends-Flight-Single-Disc-Blu-ray/product/B004QDW2IK showed it went low as $8.88 back in October 2013!

I just watched its trailer on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nh8C1Io3cc ... Not bad.
post #1647 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was expecting cheaper like under 10/ten bucks for a not good documentary/movie. wink.gif

I just watched its trailer on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nh8C1Io3cc ... Not bad.

No One has ever said I did not like the movie. Everyone who sat through my 3D Theater
"Legends of Flight" has come away with their Mouths in Awe.

OFF to work now at Magnolia - Best Buy. It is still BLACK FRIDAY weekend.
post #1648 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

+1

Titanic 3D is expensive but if you like the movie you really should rent it from the 3D Bluray rental place.
phildaant likes this.
post #1649 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

+1

Titanic 3D is expensive but if you like the movie you really should rent it from the 3D Bluray rental place.
Last year Titanic 3D went down to $20 at Best Buy a couple of weeks before Christmas. Any time now, I think. Hope so, anyway.
post #1650 of 1893 Old 11-30-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Quote:

+1

Bummer that RedBox doesn't carry any 3D BR discs for any videos. frown.gif
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Life by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page