Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 62Likes

post #1681 of 2053 Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Depth-of-field is the key to good 3D. An increased lens f/stop and more light into the lens, allows the lens to maintain both near and far focus within a range. Sometimes that can be a foot to infinity. That works best for shots outdoors on a bright day. But indoors with less light, the focus depth is less and therefore less realistic. When you add action to objects at 24hz it makes the objects jump slightly. That combined with poor depth-of -field and you get judder. Avatar has a lot of judder. You are not going to get that perfect real look unless you have 4K ultra HD. See latest Hobbit movies at a 4k theater and you'll see the big difference. You just need to accept the technology as it is at 1080p 24hz. That said, with the right projector, screen and glasses, Avatar can be an outstanding 3D experience.
old corps likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 2053 Old 12-16-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

No, I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my setup. I just have super high standard.

Did you see the technology that Cameron used to film this, or hear him talk about it--I'm thinking not with this criticism? Besides that, it was 4 years ago. Let's see what he does with Avatar 2.

Matt
post #1683 of 2053 Old 12-16-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVSTAR View Post

Depth-of-field is the key to good 3D.

Yes and Avatar was shot with a nice wide DOF in the main. I certainly didn't experience blurry shots as mentioned by a poster earlier in this thread.
old corps likes this.

post #1684 of 2053 Old 12-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
is Davidt1 seriously comparing real life to 3D movies???
post #1685 of 2053 Old 12-16-2013, 11:59 AM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

Yes and Avatar was shot with a nice wide DOF in the main. I certainly didn't experience blurry shots as mentioned by a poster earlier in this thread.
Same here. This is a film I have rewatched merely for the wealth of realistic 3D imagery. It is a the way I wish 3D films looked in the naturalness of objects and dimension.
I think that it points to the way 3D can become another tool in the Filmmaker's bag of technical paraphernalia in the constant striving to make what we see on the screen seem real.
old corps likes this.
post #1686 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVSTAR View Post

Depth-of-field is the key to good 3D. An increased lens f/stop and more light into the lens, allows the lens to maintain both near and far focus within a range. Sometimes that can be a foot to infinity. That works best for shots outdoors on a bright day. But indoors with less light, the focus depth is less and therefore less realistic. When you add action to objects at 24hz it makes the objects jump slightly. That combined with poor depth-of -field and you get judder. Avatar has a lot of judder. You are not going to get that perfect real look unless you have 4K ultra HD. See latest Hobbit movies at a 4k theater and you'll see the big difference. You just need to accept the technology as it is at 1080p 24hz. That said, with the right projector, screen and glasses, Avatar can be an outstanding 3D experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Yes, it is directed by James Cameron with 2D and 3D on the same disc. I got a passive 3D TV a few days ago and just saw that movie in 3D today. I never cared for the story and the acting -- only watched the 2D version once. It's more interesting in 3D, but if this is the best 3D technology has to offer, then there is still a long way to go. Things that jump at you and things in the background are blurry most of the times. The human eyes can see things clearly from a foot in front of us and 50 feet away. 3D needs to come close to this.

Avatar is IMO still the most overrated 3d disc on the format as far as pure 3d goes. Depth 3d is relatively conservative (JC even has mentioned in an interview which Josh Z linked here a while back that he would want to be more aggressive in the 3d use next time) and there is almost no pop. I have watched it on 3 different 3d projectors in my HT (RS40, 45 and BenQ 7000) as well as bits and pieces on a VT50 65" set and compared to many other titles, it is nothing special for depth and pop is next to nothing. When I first watched this on blu ray 3d 3 years ago, I was pretty impressed, but as I have revisited it over time and watched more and more 3d titles for a better frame of reference, Avatar is very average for 3d in general IMO.
post #1687 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Avatar is IMO still the most overrated 3d disc on the format as far as pure 3d goes. Depth 3d is relatively conservative (JC even has mentioned in an interview which Josh Z linked here a while back that he would want to be more aggressive in the 3d use next time) and there is almost no pop. I have watched it on 3 different 3d projectors in my HT (RS40, 45 and BenQ 7000) as well as bits and pieces on a VT50 65" set and compared to many other titles, it is nothing special for depth and pop is next to nothing. When I first watched this on blu ray 3d 3 years ago, I was pretty impressed, but as I have revisited it over time and watched more and more 3d titles for a better frame of reference, Avatar is very average for 3d in general IMO.

This is exactly how I feel about Avatar. I think the better reference 3D material would be Hugo, Madagascar 3, or Raise of the Guardians; these are all among my favorite 3D films.

Basement: BenQ W1070 on 110" Elite Screen, Denon AVR-1913, JBL LC1 (C), JBL L880 (FL/FR), JBL 810 (BR/BL), Rhythmik LV12R Sub, PS3 and Roku 3
Living Room: Vizio M65-E0, Vizio SB3651-e6 Soundbar, PS4, Roku Premier+, and X Box One X coming soon
post #1688 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 12:33 PM

I enjoy good "pop" in 3D too.

However, as I sit here in Burger King looking around I see very little, actually no pop.
What I particularly like in movies is not noticing the technology too much.
And sometimes I really love to see the obvious popouts. But when I watch Avatar it seems real to me. (No, I don't believe that such a planet exists.) I forget that it is 3D technology, it just appears more like real life visually than the 2D version.

And I bought and watched Pacific Rim a couple of days ago and thought the 3D was really fun. A little like cardboard cutouts at times but visually great fun.
post #1689 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 12:47 PM

Liked: 26
I haven't been to Burger King in years, but I used to see a lot of pop there... no beer though.
post #1690 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnoreatmovies View Post

I haven't been to Burger King in years, but I used to see a lot of pop there... no beer though.

smile.gif Okay - Obviously I missed the better line. "...the only pop I see is served from a dispenser."
post #1691 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 35
After some readings, I have learned that the out of focus thing has do with what the director wants to focus on, as mentioned by Cyrano and others. I have also learned that I am not the only one who prefers to see everything in focus. Ray Malus, who reviewed both Hugo and House of Wax on Amazon, prefers the use of wide field of depth in House of Wax over the use of traditional field of depth in Hugo. Apparently, it is possible to keep both near and far objects in focus in movies. The only question is: will more directors cater to people like me and Ray Malus?
post #1692 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

I enjoy good "pop" in 3D too.

What I particularly like in movies is not noticing the technology too much.
And sometimes I really love to see the obvious popouts. But when I watch Avatar it seems real to me. (No, I don't believe that such a planet exists.) I forget that it is 3D technology, it just appears more like real life visually than the 2D version.

And I bought and watched Pacific Rim a couple of days ago and thought the 3D was really fun. A little like cardboard cutouts at times but visually great fun.

That is totally cool and I certainly respect your perspective/opinion. With that type of preference, I can see Avatar being one of the better 3d discs since it certainly does not scream out "here is 3d, look at me!". tongue.gif I am just the opposite in the fact that I like to know I am watching 3d which means I strongly prefer very aggressive and strong 3d which Avatar is not. I don't even need pop-out (although I do like it) as long as the depth is strong and aggressive. You mention Pacific Rim and that is a great example IMO of a 3d title that I like a lot. Even though there is almost no pop, the depth is so aggressive and strong throughout that it really separates itself from just watching in 2d........it gives me a reason to put on the goofy and relatively (compared to not wearing them at all) uncomfortable glasses.

I appreciate your post though as it just goes to show what makes "good" 3d is subjective and dependent on what you are looking to get.
post #1693 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

This is exactly how I feel about Avatar. I think the better reference 3D material would be Hugo, Madagascar 3, or Raise of the Guardians; these are all among my favorite 3D films.

Agreed. I would also add M v A, Sammy's Adventure, Pacific Rim, HTTYD, Flying Swords of Dragonsgate, Under the Sea just to name a few that are all considerably more impressive for those who like strong/aggressive 3d vs Avatar which is conservative in comparison.
phildaant likes this.
post #1694 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 324
What did people think of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' 3D effects especially in the second part movie? My parents got this on BR 3D disc because it was on sale ($13.99) and wanted to test (sheesh, they could have waited for MY surprise!). They were impressed. What about the rest of you? Bah.
post #1695 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Rise of the Guardians is one of my favorites for 3D. It is interesting you rarely see Disney 3D movies mentioned; I haven't pursued watching them in 3D due to lack of compelling comments about their 3D.
post #1696 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 05:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

What did people think of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' 3D effects especially in the second part movie? My parents got this on BR 3D disc because it was on sale ($13.99) and wanted to test (sheesh, they could have waited for MY surprise!). They were impressed. What about the rest of you? Bah.

It was ok. I was expecting more from it :/ Still love the movie 

post #1697 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The Harry Potter films were pretty poor conversions imo, I actually stopped watching the second one halfway through and switched the disc to the regular version.

Basement: BenQ W1070 on 110" Elite Screen, Denon AVR-1913, JBL LC1 (C), JBL L880 (FL/FR), JBL 810 (BR/BL), Rhythmik LV12R Sub, PS3 and Roku 3
Living Room: Vizio M65-E0, Vizio SB3651-e6 Soundbar, PS4, Roku Premier+, and X Box One X coming soon
post #1698 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 05:30 PM

Can people comment and give opinions on the 3 Toy Story discs and the 4(!) Shrek discs.
Thanks.
post #1699 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I recently watched Wraith of the Titains at home in 3d, I will say the use of 3d was very impressive. If you like silly action films and greek gods etc, then it is well worth a rental (or a cheap buy).
post #1700 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

The Harry Potter films were pretty poor conversions imo, I actually stopped watching the second one halfway through and switched the disc to the regular version.

Deathly Hallows part 1 wasn't even finished. The number of mistakes in the 3d conversion was beyond a joke. Part 2 used minimal depth but was rather well done (though I do think it would have benefited from a heavier use of depth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Can people comment and give opinions on the 3 Toy Story discs and the 4(!) Shrek discs.
Thanks.

Toy story 1 is descent, I really liked toy story 2 (the start is amazing). Toy story 3 should have had more depth for a film made for 3d. I have only seen Shrek 1 at home, it was rather good and well worth picking up if you are a fan (I however am not a fan, it was an okay film that I watched again as a friend brought it over to watch on my system).
post #1701 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Toy story 1 is descent, I really liked toy story 2 (the start is amazing). Toy story 3 should have had more depth for a film made for 3d. I have only seen Shrek 1 at home, it was rather good and well worth picking up if you are a fan (I however am not a fan, it was an okay film that I watched again as a friend brought it over to watch on my system).

Thanks.

I had a chance to get the box set of all 4 Shrek movies in 3D for $20.(!)
I hesitated and someone else who was not so indecisive snagged them. Ouch.
post #1702 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 06:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I recently watched Wraith of the Titains at home in 3d, I will say the use of 3d was very impressive. If you like silly action films and greek gods etc, then it is well worth a rental (or a cheap buy).

Hmm I actually heard that it was really bad. I may have to check it out now.

post #1703 of 2053 Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzd90 View Post

Hmm I actually heard that it was really bad. I may have to check it out now.

The first film in the series Clash of the Titans has amazingly bad 3d. The sequel was shoot with 3d in mind and has a very nice conversion.
post #1704 of 2053 Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

The first film in the series Clash of the Titans has amazingly bad 3d. The sequel was shoot with 3d in mind and has a very nice conversion.

Any need to watch the 1st movie? They have Wrath OnDemand in 3D and was thinking of watching it, but I haven't seen the Clash movie.

I agree with other about enjoying realistic 3D for live action films. I find pop out to be gimmicky, and while its fun in animated movies and on occasion in the Imax stuff, its distracting in serious movies.

I really enjoy when films use depth of field to tell the story. It's something I want to get better at with my own films. However, in 3D if the objects closest to you are the objects out of focus, I find it very distracting. This happens in Star Trek into Darkness. Near the beginning, in a hospital room, you are looking at a patient in bed which in focus, but the bottom right part of the screen is an IV bag out of focus and its really distracting. I have seen this scene 3 times (twice I saw the 10 minutes preview before other 3D movies) and it bothered me all 3 times. Overall I liked the use of 3D. Space lends itself to 3D very well I think.
post #1705 of 2053 Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

Deathly Hallows part 1 wasn't even finished. The number of mistakes in the 3d conversion was beyond a joke. Part 2 used minimal depth but was rather well done (though I do think it would have benefited from a heavier use of depth).

We saw Toy Story 3 in 3D in the theater. That movie made me skeptical of 3D movies for a long time afterwards! eek.gif
post #1706 of 2053 Old 12-18-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

We saw Toy Story 3 in 3D in the theater. That movie made me skeptical of 3D movies for a long time afterwards! eek.gif

Really?confused.gif We've got all three of 'em and really enjoyed them at home. Never saw the 3D versions in the theater though. JMHO

Ed
post #1707 of 2053 Old 12-18-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Really?confused.gif We've got all three of 'em and really enjoyed them at home. Never saw the 3D versions in the theater though. JMHO

Ed
Very glad to hear it.
post #1708 of 2053 Old 12-18-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Ed

Well maybe I need to give 'em a try at home.
post #1709 of 2053 Old 12-18-2013, 11:15 AM

Since we are now viewing with our newer Projector (Optoma HD131XE) 3D looks really good at home. It's our first 3D Device. Sitting 12 feet from a 100" screen seems as though the entire image is viewable without having to look around. The 3D effect just seems better.

I never had any problem with seeing the 3D effect at the movies, it is just better at home.
From what I have noticed the ability to see the entire image as opposed to a section is optimal for me. I have never thought the 3D quality was poor at the movies. I am always satisfied with the technology. I've never seen cross-talk or uncertain or substandard imagery.
I have just noticed that the level of overall visual solidiy seems better when I view the film as a large "painting" or moving picture.
This is purely subjective.
I also enjoy IMAX films where I am unable to see it all as one image. I just notice 3D seems better on my Home screen.

The best 3D I've seen at the movies was Gravity. (Saw it at two different places.) But I've only seen Jurassic Park, MIB3, Coraline, Journey To The Center Of The Earth and Despicable Me 2. I enjoyed them all. So far at home it just appears more dimensional.
post #1710 of 2053 Old 12-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

I'm not sure how you figured this. Toy Story 3 looks amazing in 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page