Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I thought the earth was accurate.  The earth will never look like a ball, not even to the astronauts in real life, because the distances are too great.  Perspective naturally collapses as distances increase.  The moon looks like a disc for similar reasons.

Yes.
My thoughts as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'm excited to pick Gravity up next month, haven't seen it yet. Probably one of the few movies I can convince my wife to watch in 3D.

post #1803 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

I'm excited to pick Gravity up next month, haven't seen it yet. Probably one of the few movies I can convince my wife to watch in 3D.

What do you have for 3D at home?  I'm worried about the white on black high contrast crosstalk...

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1804 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

What do you have for 3D at home?  I'm worried about the white on black high contrast crosstalk...

BenQ 1070 with a 110" 1.1 gain screen. Very rarely have I seen crosstalk with this projector.

post #1805 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

I'm trying to figure out a way around this; an economic way of keeping the 3D disc, and selling off the remaining discs in an effortless way.

Here are the questions I have about this:

Is it better to sell off the discs individually
How many people just want the digital copy?....is that worth splitting up?
Does the digital copy hold the 3D version, or the 2D version, or both, and what is the quality?
For me the easiest way is to have a e-mail list of friends that are interested in buying the blu-ray version and a list that might want the standard version. I price them according to what I had to pay. If I pay. For instance if I pay $25 for the combo Pack I ask $10 for the blu-ray and $7 for the standard. Not too bad for them considering they have no sales tax. Send out the e-mail list and 1st commit gets it. This is getting a little more difficult what with streaming and Red Box. You can actually send the e-mail before you buy the combo pack just to make sure you have it covered. Gravity and the new Hobbit movie will be good examples.
post #1806 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 AM

To my knowledge I have never seen crosstalk. I can imagine what it is because I remember when looking at 3D in printed material and the images not joining together properly, especially on the nearer objects.
My only entry into 3D at home has been with our Optoma HD131XE and 100" screen combo. I've seen about 10 3D movies here and no crosstalk. I've seen about 6 3D movies at the cinema. I've never seen crosstalk, that I'm aware of.
post #1807 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Quote:

I'm trying to figure out a way around this; an economic way of keeping the 3D disc, and selling off the remaining discs in an effortless way.

Does the digital copy hold the 3D version, or the 2D version, or both, and what is the quality?
For me the easiest way is to have a e-mail list of friends that are interested in buying the blu-ray version and a list that might want the standard version. I price them according to what I had to pay. If I pay. For instance if I pay $25 for the combo Pack I ask $10 for the blu-ray and $7 for the standard. Not too bad for them considering they have no sales tax. Send out the e-mail list and 1st commit gets it. This is getting a little more difficult what with streaming and Red Box. You can actually send the e-mail before you buy the combo pack just to make sure you have it covered. Gravity and the new Hobbit movie will be good examples.

Awesome Idea!  Facebook is perfect for this!

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1808 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

This is done ad nauseum on ebay. People buy the combo pack and sell the discs individually, or pocket the disc they want and sell the rest. You can get new 3D movies without a case, just the disc for a $15 on average.

I thought gravity was very well done 3D. It was impactful when it should have been and natural when it needed to be. Even my wife loved this in 3D, and she usually will pass on 3D unless its an animated film, or blockbuster 3D like the Hobbit and Avatar. I can't decide if I'll buy it though. I'm torn. On one hand I want the medium to persist and ultimately thrive, but it's not a film I see myself rewatching much. I feel like I'll watch it when I buy it, and it will collect dust until someone who hasnt seen it comes over.

This is not an indictment on the film. Some of my favorite movies are like this. Movies that rely on emotional responses rather than sheer action have this effect on me.
post #1809 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 07:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

To my knowledge I have never seen crosstalk. I can imagine what it is because I remember when looking at 3D in printed material and the images not joining together properly, especially on the nearer objects.
My only entry into 3D at home has been with our Optoma HD131XE and 100" screen combo. I've seen about 10 3D movies here and no crosstalk. I've seen about 6 3D movies at the cinema. I've never seen crosstalk, that I'm aware of.

Is your Optoma a DLP? Single chip DLP is known for its ghost and flicker free 3d performance. I bought a single chip DLP BenQ 7000 just for 3d duties while my JVC RS45 covers the 2d side which is where it excels. To get the best of both worlds with projectors, you need to go duals unfortunately since nothing else can touch the ghost/flicker free 3d of DLP, but most people prefer something else like a JVC for 2d with it's much better contrast.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1810 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Is your Optoma a DLP? Single chip DLP is known for its ghost and flicker free 3d performance. I bought a single chip DLP BenQ 7000 just for 3d duties while my JVC RS45 covers the 2d side which is where it excels. To get the best of both worlds with projectors, you need to go duals unfortunately since nothing else can touch the ghost/flicker free 3d of DLP, but most people prefer something else like a JVC for 2d with it's much better contrast.

I looked your PJ up and it sounds great. I am very happy with this DLP HD131XE. When dialed in for good PQ it is impressive. (to me smile.gif)

The 3D is really great. But then I think the 2D is pretty good too. I started off in 2003 with an Infocus X1, then an Optoma HD70. Now with the HD131XE I am very happy with the improvements DLPs have brought to my HT. For about $700 I am seeing some pretty great image quality.

I have read about DLA projectors but I've never seen one perform. Great picture I'll bet.
post #1811 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Is your Optoma a DLP? Single chip DLP is known for its ghost and flicker free 3d performance.

How?  If it requires active glasses (which themselves use LCDs), you're still at the mercy of the blocking ability of the opposing eye, and no LCD's are perfect.

post #1812 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post

Quote:

This is done ad nauseum on ebay. People buy the combo pack and sell the discs individually, or pocket the disc they want and sell the rest. You can get new 3D movies without a case, just the disc for a $15 on average.

To help make the deals a no-brainer, I was thinking of selling off the 2D+DVD+Digital copy INCLUDING THE CASE for less than Amazon on craigslist.  Still don't know if I can make it economical.  Looks like it'll still be $15 for the 3DBD by the time I get done with everything.

BTW, another wrinkle.  The extra features are ending up on the 2D BD.  That screws up everything!---particularly for Pixar stuff.

post #1813 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How?  If it requires active glasses (which themselves use LCDs), you're still at the mercy of the blocking ability of the opposing eye, and no LCD's are perfect.

Single chip DLP is fast enough that ghosting/flicker is a non issue and it has to do with the actual refresh rate which is MUCH higher vs LCD, Lcos, etc.... No ghosting, no flicker. Lots of great info in the projector forum on this if your interested including through the glasses comparison shots of single chip DLPs, LCDs, Lcos (both SXRD and Dila) with known challenging material like DM, Grand Canyon, SA, etc....... Check out Zombie10ks posts in his threads, one of which is here.............Scroll about half way down in the first post to the "3d ghosting comparison" section which should get you educated. Lots of other GREAT info in this thread as well!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1382091/jvc-rs-45-sony-hw30-benq-w7000-epson-5010-mini-shootout

post #1814 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:

What movies have people seen crosstalk in? And is it a repeatable situation? (Examples please)

Also would the complications of 3D LCD viewing (I had never heard of this before) be possibly further complicated by LCD "double-dipping"? (Just speculating, IDK.)
post #1815 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I looked your PJ up and it sounds great. I am very happy with this DLP HD131XE. When dialed in for good PQ it is impressive. (to me smile.gif)

The 3D is really great. But then I think the 2D is pretty good too. I started off in 2003 with an Infocus X1, then an Optoma HD70. Now with the HD131XE I am very happy with the improvements DLPs have brought to my HT. For about $700 I am seeing some pretty great image quality.

I have read about DLA projectors but I've never seen one perform. Great picture I'll bet.

Nice! Glad you are enjoying your Optoma! smile.gif

All these projectors have advantages/disadvantages vs the other (within reason), but the HUGE advantage to the JVCs is their native (and starting this year, dynamic with the new dynamic iris which is a first for JVC) contrast which is in a completely different league vs our DLP projectors which is why all my 2d blu ray watching goes to the JVC. The black levels are substantially better which many will attest to if you read up. If you are interested, I bet you could find a used or maybe even a B-stock RS46 for a great price which is last years entry model and is an excellent projector that has the new and improved lamp which has proven to be excellent and so on. You will want to hold on to your DLP for 3d probably, but for 2d, it's no contest and you will be amazed at the image the JVC gives you assuming you have a good room for front projection (dark walls, ceiling, no window light, etc........).

post #1816 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 372
In the interest of education: the active glasses employ LCD screens to shutter.
post #1817 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

What movies have people seen crosstalk in? And is it a repeatable situation? (Examples please)

I've seen crosstalk on several films on my passive TV at home, depending upon how high contrast the object was.  Polarizers of any form have difficulty with "extinction" of bright white on black, etc.  That is repeatable.

In the case of LCD + active, it's often a higher level of complaints.  This is also repeatable.

In either case, because of the colors used, I don't believe much will be evident during Avatar at home.

In the case of movie theaters, I've heard of people seeing crosstalk.  Interestingly, I saw no crosstalk in Gravity using circularly polarized lenses.  I should have: white on black is a nightmare.  But I didn't; I still don't know why, and I'm wondering if the quality of glasses (that we had to return) were very high.  No, they weren't active either, they were circularly polarized; I called the theater.

post #1818 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also would the complications of 3D LCD viewing (I had never heard of this before) be possibly further complicated by LCD "double-dipping"? (Just speculating, IDK.)

Read the entire section I referenced and linked to above which will give you a GREAT start to understanding ghosting. Some tech suffers more from dark on light type ghosting like the JVCs (example would be dark character set against a brightly lit backdrop) and some more from light on dark (bright object set against a dark backdrop) like the Epson LCDs IIRC while single chip DLP suffers from neither, or flicker. cool.gif

In either case, because of the colors used, I don't believe much will be evident during Avatar at home.

It is not just the color/contrast of Avatar that makes ghosting minimal on that title, but the conservative separation in general which is not as challenging for non single chip DLPs displays in general. Read the first post in the link I referenced above as it will give you a MUCH better idea of what I am talking about.

post #1819 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

In the interest of education: the active glasses employ LCD screens to shutter.

Correct.  I'm assuming that they must be using a single massive crystal to keep from the normal leak-through you get with an LCD array?

post #1820 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I was being a bit tongue in cheek there. As for the LCD single crystal I don't really know, but if I were guessing its likely a bunch of crystals at the start but that they do 'couple'. Normally there's a polarization layer that helps block certain portions of the light spectrum to get the different colors right, but in this case its likely as simple as telling the coupled crystals to twist/engage and just block all light - so nice and rudimentary.
post #1821 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 AM

Thanks to tgm1024 and Toe for the info. And that link is great Toe, lots of stuff I enjoy digesting. And I see the crosstalk. It is what I thought.
I have seen crosstalk before. I have seen it when looking at 3D TVs at Bestbuy and Costco using Passive glasses.
I had expected I would see it at home but I haven't yet.

I use the builtin DLP-LINK emitter of the hd131xe and Estar ESG601 glasses.
post #1822 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks to tgm1024 and Toe for the info. And that link is great Toe, lots of stuff I enjoy digesting. And I see the crosstalk. It is what I thought.

Yep, sure.  Crosstalk is not a function of the movie, it's entirely within the domain of the display apparatus.  And by the way, large separation doesn't precisely exacerbate the parts that are slipping through the glasses.  What it does do is give more of those parts if they are apart vs tightly overlapping.  But a thin vertical white line with large separation or small separation, if entirely separated will exhibit the same crosstalk.

post #1823 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have seen crosstalk before. I have seen it when looking at 3D TVs at Bestbuy and Costco using Passive glasses.
I had expected I would see it at home but I haven't yet.

I use the builtin DLP-LINK emitter of the hd131xe and Estar ESG601 glasses.

No problem! smile.gif Zombie10ks projector comparison threads are ongoing and have a wealth of great info. He has one for this years models as well, including the Sony 4k machines. cool.gif

You have not seen it at home because you have a single chip DLP. Once you get used to ghost/flicker free 3d, ANY ghosting from another display tech will really stand out to you if your experience is anything like mine. DLP has spoiled many of us in the best possible way. biggrin.gif

post #1824 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:

No problem! smile.gif Zombie10ks projector comparison threads are ongoing and have a wealth of great info. He has one for this years models as well, including the Sony 4k machines. cool.gif

Ahhh - 4k. 4k PJs. mmmm.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1501174/4k-projectors-under-3k/60#post_24274125

My price is pretty low but someday...
post #1825 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ahhh - 4k. 4k PJs. mmmm.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1501174/4k-projectors-under-3k/60#post_24274125

My price is pretty low but someday...

They are sweet for sure! I saw the Sony 600 at Cedia last year and was blown away at how sharp and clear the image was on a 13' wide (!!!) 179" diag ST130 G3 screen. Cant wait until they come down into my price range.

post #1826 of 1882 Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

This is interesting. I've been seeing commercials on my 3d blus for Disney's Frozen. The commercials were in 3D. The interesting part is that Disney will not be releasing a 3D bluray for this movie, but instead only a digital copy.

http://www.rotoscopers.com/2014/01/10/frozen-gets-release-date-special-features-announced/

A 3D Blu-ray for Frozen is still scheduled for release in Europe. It can be imported easily from Amazon UK. Zavvi.com will have a Steelbook edition (also 3D), if that interests you.
martyp and mo949 like this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1827 of 1882 Old 01-31-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

A 3D Blu-ray for Frozen is still scheduled for release in Europe. It can be imported easily from Amazon UK. Zavvi.com will have a Steelbook edition (also 3D), if that interests you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frozen-Blu-ray-3D-Region-Free/dp/B00FZM8Z7I/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1391150005&sr=1-2&keywords=Frozen

I own the Sony BDP-BX510. I bought it and live in Washington State. I cannot play PAL discs (DVDs) on it. (I own a Philips DVD player that does play PAL discs.) I do fully realize that the disc I have linked to is a bluray 3D disc.
I am merely trying to address possible considerations with much of the background info I have supplied. I just want to be sure the 3D disc will play in my USA based 3D disc player.

I am not as technically knowledgeable as many here.
My question is: will the Bluray purchased from the above link play in my Sony BDP-BX510?
Thanks for any help.
post #1828 of 1882 Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frozen-Blu-ray-3D-Region-Free/dp/B00FZM8Z7I/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1391150005&sr=1-2&keywords=Frozen

I own the Sony BDP-BX510. I bought it and live in Washington State. I cannot play PAL discs (DVDs) on it. (I own a Philips DVD player that does play PAL discs.)

I am not as technically knowledgeable as many here.
My question is: will the Bluray purchased from the above link play in my Sony BDP-BX510?
Thanks for any help.

Probably could be it's own thread.  I'd like to know what the format restrictions are myself.

post #1829 of 1882 Old 01-31-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

since its a full feature movie it won't be pal (or ntsc) so it should play since it is 24p natively (or 48 in the case of 3d). Where you run into trouble is when its say a tv show that's in Pal and will playback at 50fps. At that point you need your player and your tv to either support that FPS (most in USA only do 60) or they will have to be able to convert it.
post #1830 of 1882 Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 AM

Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of similar Bluray 3D discs?

(Here's a link with some info: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/non_aviation/read.main/2254012 ) The answer to my question would seem to be No. But I'm still hoping...
Thanks for the replies guys.

EDIT: And another link: Doesn't look good for my Sony 3D player...
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95245

A costly solution: http://www.bombayelectronics.com/Oppo_BDP_83_Region_Free_Blu_Ray_Player_p/op_bdp83.htm

And this discussion on Amazon gives me a glimmer of hope: http://www.amazon.com/forum/blu-ray/ref=cm_cd_dp_rft_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2R11KXGJPWBTU&cdThread=TxEYJ54RLC52LR
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Life by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page