Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

It was PERFECT in Gravity.  Why?  Because you quickly got pulled right into the storyline with the 3D getting in the way.  We've been around and around this particular concept.  I can't imagine anyone not thinking that the 3D in gravity was spot on!  Truly, absolutely wonderfully done, and I'm extremely sensitive to and critical of everything in image/video science.
You just found "anyone", I wasn't impressed with Gravity's 3D and saw it in IMAX 3D. I MUCH(!!) prefer Pacific Rim for 3D as mentioned here, awesome.
You do understand that the Earth appears flattened because of the distances involved, right? And the backdrop of space will appear as a single plane. This is how it appears to astronauts as well, because the angular difference between each eye's view collapses to nearly zero for objects at long distances. It's not the fault of the movie makers that the bulk of the backdrop has this characteristic. Gravity was FLAWLESS in its usage of 3D.
nenito2k likes this.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1882 Old 02-16-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Flawless aggressive or flawless conservative? biggrin.gif

Jk
post #1863 of 1882 Old 02-16-2014, 02:18 PM

Liked: 90
You mean flawless exaggerated or flawless realistic? biggrin.gif
Jk

PS: I like both. But it would be cool if the realistic version could be a part of every movie.
IMO. smile.gif

And I thought Pacific Rim was fantastic, especially considering it was an "after-the-fact" 3D movie. I want to see 3D look like that sometimes. But I found the realism of Titanic and Avatar compelling. (One shot 2D, the other 3D.)
I really do enjoy ordinary scenes where I am not aware of 3D as eye candy, but am more involved in the reality of the scene because of 3D.

I just saw The Lego Movie and the 3D was aggressive. (maybe others would disagree, IDK) The only thing that threw me a bit was the very strong use of foreground and background out-of-focusness at the beginning (in the apartment). I know it is a tool of directing attention but a few times I thought it was a bit heavy-handed.
I thought The Lego Movie was good, btw.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A great, more realistic view of heroes and prophecies and such. Some heavy prophetic announcement is made at the beginning. It doesn't matter whether it is true or not, Morgan Freeman's character intones, what is important is that it rhymes.
post #1864 of 1882 Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the info on Frozen . The family liked the movie and was kind of bummed that there was not going to be a 3d version.

I just preordered from Amazon uk and should have it here by 4-11. I try to buy all my movies with the 3d disc if they have it just because the few $$ extra it cost is worth it, if just to have a extra way to watch it.
post #1865 of 1882 Old 02-20-2014, 03:51 AM

Liked: 12
So, lacking of new 3D movies (or atleast new movies with great 3D) I watched two documentaries: Galapagos 3D with David Attenborough and EarthFlight (Die fantastische Reise der Vögel ) 3D. Both are great, highly recommended.

Galapagos has stunning 3D, with superb colors, excellent clarity, enormous depth and fantastic spatiality and 3D effects. Pop-outs are not that often and not that great, but still, it has become my new 3D Demo-BluRay. I now intend to buy each and every 3D Documentary David Attenborough has made in collaboration with Sky 3D.

The second one, can be found on amazon Germany (haven't found it on amazon UK) and it's called "Die fantastische Reise der Vögel" (on IMDB it also says aka EarthFlight). It has German and English DTS-HD Master 5.1, so I don't see why it isn't also available on amazon UK. Anyway, it's also a wonderful documentary, with excellent 3D. The colors and clarity are sometimes not that great (zoomed-in shots of very far away birds), but it has some of the best Pop-Out effects I've seen so far. The birds are just flying in your room; also the spatiality and the depth are superb, so this is also a Blu-Ray to show-of your 3D display. I would say this one is a hidden treasure, 'cause lots of people doesn't even know about it. I found a post regarding this one on avsforum and I am very glad I did.

Do you maybe know some other "hidden treasures"?
post #1866 of 1882 Old 02-20-2014, 04:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykereid View Post

Good and beautiful film.  I really enjoyed watching it -- twice.  But, I expected so much more from the 3D version.  I didn't find the 3D version "special" at all.

Agree with you as the 3d in this movie was just over hyped

WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #1867 of 1882 Old 02-20-2014, 05:07 AM

Liked: 11

IMAX Grand canyon Advantures has the most beautiful depth effects that i have never seen in any movie.

It also has some cool oos effects in the start.

post #1868 of 1882 Old 02-20-2014, 05:41 AM

I know that one, but the documentary itself is boriiiiing. I would prefer one that also has an interesting story. Has anyone seen Kingdom of Plants, Micromonsters or The Penguin King? What about Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2, is it good (3D-wise) ?
post #1869 of 1882 Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ok people i HAVE some serious concerns about my 3D situation and i NEED "HELP" !!!!

I have never liked 3D...on active TV's....but i got my passive 3D panasonic and well it it much easier on the eyes;

The best movie on 3d bluray are without a doubt (in disorder)

- Hugo : STUNNING 3d - movie sucks!
- Gravity: 3D was so good....it looks like i am watching 2D ! - natural 100%
- Titanic & Pacific rim: incredible conversions; sense of space is staggering !
- CROODS: depth of field in unbelievable !

anyway...all GOOD...BUT when i watched some documentaries.....my eyes began to HURT on most scenes and i CAN'T understand why : and this is with suposedly reference blurays:

imax Hubble & Imax born to be wild & IMAX deep sea all suffer from one BIG FLAW that no reviews EVEN mentions !!!!!!

I know it is NOT ONLY ME, as my wife, cousin and brother also experience this on these very same discs and others as well

- image on many scenes is very stable and good...BUT on various scenes NEGATIVE parallax is very weird (like mixed up/blurry in 3d) and object on the front of the screen (middle or even worst on the sides....) make my eyes hurt BAD ! ALMOST like why you activate the "reverse L/R 3D" menu on the TV

This is not GHOSTING of course...so what the hell is this ? why does no one talk about this phenomena ? why does no pro review mention this ???? The IMAX 3D is the top of the crop for 3D....but maybe 25-30% of the film has this problem with negative parallax ? WTF ????

I really need to know if ANY of you guys know what i am saying or not...and an expert explain to me what this is due to ???? TV ? disc ? or something else ????

waiting.... wink.gif
post #1870 of 1882 Old 04-07-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

ok people i HAVE some serious concerns about my 3D situation and i NEED "HELP" !!!!

I have never liked 3D...on active TV's....but i got my passive 3D panasonic and well it it much easier on the eyes;

The best movie on 3d bluray are without a doubt (in disorder)

- Hugo : STUNNING 3d - movie sucks!
- Gravity: 3D was so good....it looks like i am watching 2D ! - natural 100%
- Titanic & Pacific rim: incredible conversions; sense of space is staggering !
- CROODS: depth of field in unbelievable !

anyway...all GOOD...BUT when i watched some documentaries.....my eyes began to HURT on most scenes and i CAN'T understand why : and this is with suposedly reference blurays:

imax Hubble & Imax born to be wild & IMAX deep sea all suffer from one BIG FLAW that no reviews EVEN mentions !!!!!!

I know it is NOT ONLY ME, as my wife, cousin and brother also experience this on these very same discs and others as well

- image on many scenes is very stable and good...BUT on various scenes NEGATIVE parallax is very weird (like mixed up/blurry in 3d) and object on the front of the screen (middle or even worst on the sides....) make my eyes hurt BAD ! ALMOST like why you activate the "reverse L/R 3D" menu on the TV

This is not GHOSTING of course...so what the hell is this ? why does no one talk about this phenomena ? why does no pro review mention this ???? The IMAX 3D is the top of the crop for 3D....but maybe 25-30% of the film has this problem with negative parallax ? WTF ????

I really need to know if ANY of you guys know what i am saying or not...and an expert explain to me what this is due to ???? TV ? disc ? or something else ????

waiting.... wink.gif

Nenito, can you post this as it's own thread?  It might gather a very worthwhile response.  There are folks that actually do 3D filming that frequent here and I'd love to see what they have to say about it.  Don Landis is one of them that might have insight on what he's discovered using his particular filming techniques.

I'd suggest either: 3D Content (this forum) or 3D Tech Talk.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
post #1871 of 1882 Old 04-07-2014, 07:14 AM

humm...ok; since you are here...any take on this ?!
post #1872 of 1882 Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

humm...ok; since you are here...any take on this ?!

Ok: I'll give you just a list of issues that occurred to me if you like.  (Not in order):

• I've seen some films that were very comfortable to watch, and others that bothered me.
  • Most of the time, when you have the images flying too far off the screen it requires me to ignore them as best I can because to resolve where they along the Z axis requires too much crossing of the eyes.  That level of convergence just isn't comfortable for me.
  • Filmers will sometimes use cameras oriented in parallel, and if they have a lot of money, they'll use converging cameras.  Don Landis educated me a bit on the differences...but he's the one to discuss this with (if it's related to those issues).
  • IF a filmer is careless and doesn't align the L and R information vertically (for whatever reason; camera or when they're editing/mastering, or whatever they call it when producing 3D) it will cause further distress because your eyes just are not that great at dealing with vertical offsets.  Our 3D system (neuro-optically) is based upon L/R parallax, not up/down.

There, that pretty much are the ideas off the top of my head.  Hope it helps.  {shrug}

nenito2k likes this.

post #1873 of 1882 Old 04-07-2014, 09:16 AM

this is very very helpful...and it seems those are very related to what i experiment !!!! smile.gif
i am NOT ALONE !
It is incredible that many scene on 3d bluray have those issues...yet NEVER have i read about anything else aside crosstalk/ghosting...in bluray reviews... eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
as far as i am concerned crosstalk on movies is much much less of a problem compared to the above HUGE annoyances mad.gif
mad.gifmad.gif
post #1874 of 1882 Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just figured I'd cast my vote for Sammy's Adventure. The strongest & most consistent use of 3D I've yet to see in any film.
post #1875 of 1882 Old 04-09-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDizzle View Post

Just figured I'd cast my vote for Sammy's Adventure. The strongest & most consistent use of 3D I've yet to see in any film.

I would say it's the best cartoon 3D. Live action 3D should be in a different catagory.
post #1876 of 1882 Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 AM

Liked: 15
Definitely agree about Sammy being the best animated.

Although, cg animation simply mimics the depth & dimension found in live action.

If each is carefully produced according to their own idiosyncrasies, I don't see why the stereoscopic effect should be inherently weaker or stronger.
I think part of the problem is that there are a lot of lackluster conversions that seem to make live action appear inferior.
post #1877 of 1882 Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDizzle View Post

Definitely agree about Sammy being the best animated.

Although, cg animation simply mimics the depth & dimension found in live action.

If each is carefully produced according to their own idiosyncrasies, I don't see why the stereoscopic effect should be inherently weaker or stronger.
I think part of the problem is that there are a lot of lackluster conversions that seem to make live action appear inferior.
CG cameras can be programmed from head to toe- movement, framing, field of view, focus, interaxial, convergence, lighting, etc can all be adjusted frame by frame, and there are no physical size or weight limitations- the mobility is unlimited.

Live action camera work is nowhere near as epic, but imo it's more immersive than animation because it's real.

Live action 3D can be just as strong as animated 3D, but I think they opt not to do that because there's this misconception that subtle 3D is inherently more mature. So it's partially because of creative reasons, but also perhaps it's risky to maximize depth in-camera, in that if you capture at too strong a depth of field, you may have to use conversion to tone it down.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #1878 of 1882 Old 05-11-2014, 01:24 AM

Liked: 18

Didnt feel like reading thru 63 pages, probably already mentioned but The Avengers is one of the best 3d movies out, Cant wait for spiderman 2 and Godzilla

post #1879 of 1882 Old 05-11-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdasterly View Post

Didnt feel like reading thru 63 pages, probably already mentioned but The Avengers is one of the best 3d movies out, Cant wait for spiderman 2 and Godzilla

Have you seen many 3D movies?!? wink.gif
post #1880 of 1882 Old 05-18-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I picked up I, Frankenstein a few days ago. Much like Legend of Hercules I found it to be a sufficiently entertaining adventure but not particularly memorable, filled with your standard array of stereotypes (the angry misunderstood anti-hero, the virtuous leading lady, the evil bad guy hiding in plain sight, the grim queen protecting humanity and her typically cynical and shoot-first, ask questions later lieutenant, etc.) and a pretty far-out plot that touches on the classic Frankenstein story and how the monster becomes embroiled in an ages-long battle between the forces of God and Satan.

In terms of 3D I was shocked to discover that the movie was a post-conversion as it looked to my eyes like a natively shot feature. In watching it on my passive LG LM7600 I experienced a constant and very noticeable sense of depth with very strong separation of foreground and background objects and limited but still effective pop. While the many CGI elements obviously translated well into 3D, the closeups (especially facial features) also exhibited excellent depth. As someone who likes strong 3D that doesn't fade into the background and get tuned out, this one definitely was to my liking.

So while the movie itself may not be worth a purchase (unless you're really into these fantasy/action/horror hybrids) it is worth at least a rental in my opinion.
post #1881 of 1882 Old 06-15-2014, 05:24 AM

Liked: 10
Hopefully IMAX can change the way we look at 3D with this new camera. I enjoy 3D movies, some more than others but would like to see more being made.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/15/i...=rss_truncated
post #1882 of 1882 Old 06-15-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperslug View Post
Hopefully IMAX can change the way we look at 3D with this new camera. I enjoy 3D movies, some more than others but would like to see more being made.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/15/i...=rss_truncated

Neat. But I wonder about something: The "always on" DVR style recording thing----THAT WASN'T BEING DONE ALREADY? It's something so obvious I just assumed it was going on.

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page