Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects - Page 66 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1951 of 1969 Unread 04-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: florida
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
One movie that seems to fly under the 3d radar is "Upside Down".
Been wanting to see just based on the premise. I wish Best Buy had better 3d selections, I hate buying online and waiting
mars5l is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1952 of 1969 Unread 04-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chris Dotur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Greater Alaska
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 79
"Upside Down" had a great idea for a story. But poorly executed, IMHO. Maybe worth a rental, but I definitely did not buy.
Chris Dotur is offline  
post #1953 of 1969 Unread 04-10-2015, 05:11 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,784
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 734
I enjoyed Upside Down, but have only seen in 2d. Curious to check out the 3d.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is offline  
post #1954 of 1969 Unread 04-10-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 800
At under 10$ (on amazon 3rd party) it was a no brainer for me. I will be rewatching it - which doesn't happen much for me. The execution could be better, but there's enough meat and the 3D is excellent.
Toe likes this.
mo949 is offline  
post #1955 of 1969 Unread 04-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Norde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Redwood City,CA,USA
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought "Upside Down" was so awful that it was one of the very few movies that I did not bother to finish. I thought that I had thrown my 3D version out, but it turns out it is still lying around my closet.

I'll send this, not even used once, disc to the first person that sends me their address in a private message. I'll pay the postage to get rid of it.
Norde is offline  
post #1956 of 1969 Unread 04-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
SFMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just rewatched the cartoon/short subject "Get A Horse" that is included on the "Frozen" disc and have to say that this mini-movie had the best use of 3D ever in a seven minute cartoon. You can tell the whole production was really well thought out to bring the effects into the theater space and works like a charm. To bad the suits at Disney have denied North America the ability to buy this disc in our region. If you have a chance watch this short using the virtual theater app on a Samsung Gear VR as it really accentuates how the animators wanted the 3D effects to look in the theater. It's amazing! I've been enjoying rewatching my 3D collection on the Gear and it's great fun.

Seeing that 3DTV has died I really feel 3D VR will be the next step in 3D. Still in it's early stage it provides crosstalk free 3D viewing that truly involves you in the scene and action. There has been much hype as to this being the next big thing, and I think it's well deserved, but I can't imagine the masses wearing a headset for 2 hrs to see a feature film when they went ballistic with hate having to wear a pair of lightweight polarized glasses. However, for us 3D fans it may be the only way to view 3D until the next surge of 3D interest in the future.


SFMike is offline  
post #1957 of 1969 Unread 04-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Member
 
korsjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Post to get to 15 messages so I could send a PM.
mo949 likes this.

Last edited by korsjs; 04-10-2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: clarification
korsjs is offline  
post #1958 of 1969 Unread 04-10-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post
Just rewatched the cartoon/short subject "Get A Horse" that is included on the "Frozen" disc and have to say that this mini-movie had the best use of 3D ever in a seven minute cartoon. You can tell the whole production was really well thought out to bring the effects into the theater space and works like a charm. To bad the suits at Disney have denied North America the ability to buy this disc in our region. If you have a chance watch this short using the virtual theater app on a Samsung Gear VR as it really accentuates how the animators wanted the 3D effects to look in the theater. It's amazing! I've been enjoying rewatching my 3D collection on the Gear and it's great fun.

Seeing that 3DTV has died I really feel 3D VR will be the next step in 3D. Still in it's early stage it provides crosstalk free 3D viewing that truly involves you in the scene and action. There has been much hype as to this being the next big thing, and I think it's well deserved, but I can't imagine the masses wearing a headset for 2 hrs to see a feature film when they went ballistic with hate having to wear a pair of lightweight polarized glasses. However, for us 3D fans it may be the only way to view 3D until the next surge of 3D interest in the future.


****. I hated that movie and sold it off as soon as I watched it. But I LOVE the short attached to BH6 (Feast) and wish I would have seen this one.
coolhand is offline  
post #1959 of 1969 Unread 04-10-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,410
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4317 Post(s)
Liked: 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post
That's a nice home theater room you have there.
NorthSky is offline  
post #1960 of 1969 Unread 04-10-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,651
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norde View Post
I thought "Upside Down" was so awful that it was one of the very few movies that I did not bother to finish. I thought that I had thrown my 3D version out, but it turns out it is still lying around my closet.

I'll send this, not even used once, disc to the first person that sends me their address in a private message. I'll pay the postage to get rid of it.
What wasn't to like about the movie? I saw only the 2D version, but I thought it was great.

Cogito ergo sum makes a fundamental mistake because it ignores the implied existence of the narrator. Descartes might as well have said "A rose is red, therefore I am".
tgm1024 is online now  
post #1961 of 1969 Unread 04-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
hotrodguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Woodland Hills, CA.
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I know you guys are talking about movies but the best 3D I've seen is on the "Lichtmond" blu-rays, absolutely amazing! Granted it's music, not a movie but damn! They are posted as being region B but they are all region, at least when ordering through Amazon.de.
Toe likes this.

hotrodguy is online now  
post #1962 of 1969 Unread 04-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,784
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodguy View Post
I know you guys are talking about movies but the best 3D I've seen is on the "Lichtmond" blu-rays, absolutely amazing! Granted it's music, not a movie but damn! They are posted as being region B but they are all region, at least when ordering through Amazon.de.

Agreed! This type of 3d aggression for both depth and pop out shows just how watered down/conservative a lot of 3d movies are.

Have you tried pairing your own tunes with the Lichtmond discs yet Hotrod? I know we talked about this in the music thread, but it works surprisingly well with the right type of tunes!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is offline  
post #1963 of 1969 Unread 04-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
hotrodguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Woodland Hills, CA.
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 194
^ Not yet Toe, I've only watched 1 & 2 so far and want to see 3 before I start rewatching with other tunes, but I will!
Toe likes this.

hotrodguy is online now  
post #1964 of 1969 Unread 04-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Norde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Redwood City,CA,USA
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norde View Post
I thought "Upside Down" was so awful that it was one of the very few movies that I did not bother to finish. I thought that I had thrown my 3D version out, but it turns out it is still lying around my closet.

I'll send this, not even used once, disc to the first person that sends me their address in a private message. I'll pay the postage to get rid of it.
Thanks for the replies. Winner was timed at 2:31pm
old corps likes this.
Norde is offline  
post #1965 of 1969 Unread 04-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: florida
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norde View Post
Thanks for the replies. Winner was timed at 2:31pm
Man you must have wanted it gone badly! I pmed you Saturday afternoon my time and it arrived Monday afternoon from cali to florida, thanks for it !
old corps likes this.
mars5l is online now  
post #1966 of 1969 Unread 04-14-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodguy View Post
I know you guys are talking about movies but the best 3D I've seen is on the "Lichtmond" blu-rays, absolutely amazing! Granted it's music, not a movie but damn! They are posted as being region B but they are all region, at least when ordering through Amazon.de.
I ordered one of these. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the rec.
coolhand is offline  
post #1967 of 1969 Unread 04-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
hotrodguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Woodland Hills, CA.
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
I ordered one of these. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the rec.
I know you'll enjoy the animation but I hope you also enjoy the music, if not, you can try Toe's suggestion and listen to whatever you want while watching the animation but I wouldn't expect a "Dark Side Of The Moon/Wizard Of Oz" kind of thing...

hotrodguy is online now  
post #1968 of 1969 Unread 04-17-2015, 08:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pacific Rim is one of the best for effects. Pretty fun movie, as well. I highly recommend.

For reference, I own the following:

Avatar
Tangled
Lion King
Frozen
Beauty and the Beast
Toy Story 3
Guardians of the Galaxy
Hugo
Dial M for Murder
Creature From the Black Lagoon
House of Wax
WWII in 3D
Imax Creatures of the Deep
Final Destination 4
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Rise of the Guardians
Finding Nemo
Drive Angry
Step Up 3D
Coraline
Dredd
humphert is offline  
post #1969 of 1969 Unread Today, 10:57 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can't wait to check some of these movies out and glad you guys reminded me of them!
CheyenneWay is online now  
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Life by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off