Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects - Page 67 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 1999 Old 04-25-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I don't know if it has the best 3D ever, but Sin City: A Dame to Kill For had a very nice 3D presentation. There wasn't much in the way of pop outs, mainly glass and other debris flying towards the camera and snow and other particles wafting in front of the screen but the depth had a very nice layered, pop-up book effect which I really like. Much of the movie was green screen and that, combined with the camera compositions and black and white photography with selective splashes of color really made me notice the depth (black and white photography really enhances the 3D effect for me).

As to the film itself, its your typical "hard-boiled" noire adventure consisting of several loosely interconnected stories all taking place in the seedy Basin City. The film also contains some of Eva Green's best .. ahem ... work, if you know what I mean. Definitely not one to watch with the kids though as it earns its "R" rating.

I found it for $17 at Best Buy and feel I got my money's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 1999 Old 04-25-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
I don't know if it has the best 3D ever, but Sin City: A Dame to Kill For had a very nice 3D presentation. There wasn't much in the way of pop outs, mainly glass and other debris flying towards the camera and snow and other particles wafting in front of the screen but the depth had a very nice layered, pop-up book effect which I really like.
If that's how it looked, then this is bad news, because that's just not what good 3D is. When you see a layered effect, it means that it was a hasty post-con where they took the entire object and moved it to it's L/R parallax offset without remapping it to a 3D surface first. I hate seeing that, and that's what Viewmaster started doing when they didn't have 3D sourced photos: crocked them with cutouts.

Indian food is almost always horribly laced with curry, and as such was put on this Earth soley to make me run from the room screaming with my arms in the air. Haters gonna hate. And regarding Indian food, I've been doing it 24/7 my whole life.
post #1983 of 1999 Old 04-25-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
If that's how it looked, then this is bad news, because that's just not what good 3D is. When you see a layered effect, it means that it was a hasty post-con where they took the entire object and moved it to it's L/R parallax offset without remapping it to a 3D surface first. I hate seeing that, and that's what Viewmaster started doing when they didn't have 3D sourced photos: crocked them with cutouts.
The movie's look is hardly realistic, with fanciful backgrounds and all sorts of CG animated enhancements layered on top of the live action. Given the subject matter and the fact that the movie tries very hard to emulate the look of a comic book, I think the pop-up 3D style used is entirely appropriate and perfectly fits and complements the visuals.
turls, deano86 and tgm1024 like this.
post #1984 of 1999 Old 04-25-2015, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Have to give another vote to the Lichtmond discs as far as best 3d. The Lichtmond titles as far as pure 3d WOW factor and aggression make most 3d films I have seen look weak in comparison (including the overrated Avatar) and I am not the only one to hold this opinion. In the projector forum, the Lichtmond titles are being considered the new 3d torture test as far as testing the ghosting capabilities of projectors/TVs. If Avatar had this type of aggression, it would be deserving of all the 3d praise it gets. Well worth checking out, but be aware that if your display is prone to ghosting, these titles will have it begging for mercy! Give me more 3d like this please!
Never even heard of them, have to give them a try.
post #1985 of 1999 Old 04-25-2015, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post
Just rewatched the cartoon/short subject "Get A Horse" that is included on the "Frozen" disc and have to say that this mini-movie had the best use of 3D ever in a seven minute cartoon. You can tell the whole production was really well thought out to bring the effects into the theater space and works like a charm. To bad the suits at Disney have denied North America the ability to buy this disc in our region. If you have a chance watch this short using the virtual theater app on a Samsung Gear VR as it really accentuates how the animators wanted the 3D effects to look in the theater. It's amazing! I've been enjoying rewatching my 3D collection on the Gear and it's great fun.

Seeing that 3DTV has died I really feel 3D VR will be the next step in 3D. Still in it's early stage it provides crosstalk free 3D viewing that truly involves you in the scene and action. There has been much hype as to this being the next big thing, and I think it's well deserved, but I can't imagine the masses wearing a headset for 2 hrs to see a feature film when they went ballistic with hate having to wear a pair of lightweight polarized glasses. However, for us 3D fans it may be the only way to view 3D until the next surge of 3D interest in the future.

I agree 100% about the VR stuff being the exciting new tech.

I do have to ask, was the 3D more immersive with the VR or very similar to 3D TV.

I thought that even 2D material would act like 3D.
post #1986 of 1999 Old 04-25-2015, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post
I agree 100% about the VR stuff being the exciting new tech.

I do have to ask, was the 3D more immersive with the VR or very similar to 3D TV.

I thought that even 2D material would act like 3D.

When using the GearVR I feel the feeling of depth on both axises, in front and behind the screen, are comparable to that seen on the active 3D TVs I have owned. I would rate the pop out to be the same and I'm basing that on watching the movie "The Bubble" on 3DTV and with the GearVR. Those who have seen it know this movie has the in your face pop-out so frowned upon by todays "serious" filmmakers. In the case of "Get A Horse" the pop-out effects are enhanced as you are viewing them within the proscenium of a movie theater screen the way I imagine the cartoon's creators planned. In the virtual VR theater space the "stage" in front of the movie screen appears to be in front of the screen in the theater space just as it did when you saw it in 3D at the cinema. It's a terrific effect and one mostly missed when you watch this in 3D on your home setup. Also all 3D content is enhanced in the VR theater due to the blessed lack of crosstalk. The resolution, of course, is not HD quality as your eyes are right on top of a cellphone screen and pixels are noticeable. I have grown use to this and assume it will improve in future units with higher pixel density. The Note 5 is reported to have a 4K AMOLED display. Strictly speaking a 5.9in AMOLED with a - frankly ridiculous - pixel density of 743ppi. This would equate to a native resolution of 2160×3840 pixels. This should provide with a much sharper picture.

As far as 2D material acting like 3D, this is not the case as 2D remains 2D. You need a 3D source to view a 3D image.
post #1987 of 1999 Old 04-28-2015, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A good one is Yogi Bear. The scene in the beginning where he is looking through the telescope and when he is flying through the air has some really good pop out (the corn chip to the right was right in front of me!). Not sure if this movie was mentioned.
post #1988 of 1999 Old 05-06-2015, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It's not a movie per se, but I just bought David Attenborough: The 3D Collection from The Large Internet Retailer (named after a rainforest) .
After watching it for only 20 minutes (out of approximately 9 hours of footage), it left me speechless.

I highly suggest this to anyone who has a 3D setup.

Even though this appears to be a UK release, it works fine on my Region A Blu-Ray player.
old corps likes this.

post #1989 of 1999 Old 05-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I picked up Tiny Giants 3d from BB, its a rather awesome watch for a nature movie. Though I have a feeling some scenes were staged or edited together. I just dont see how they could follow a chipmunk being chased by an owl at night with a 3d camera that close.
post #1990 of 1999 Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4707 Post(s)
Liked: 1911
post #1991 of 1999 Old 05-07-2015, 05:09 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post
It's not a movie per se, but I just bought David Attenborough: The 3D Collection from The Large Internet Retailer (named after a rainforest) .
After watching it for only 20 minutes (out of approximately 9 hours of footage), it left me speechless.

I highly suggest this to anyone who has a 3D setup.

Even though this appears to be a UK release, it works fine on my Region A Blu-Ray player.

I need to dive into this series as I have had it here for about a year now and have only watched a few episodes of Micro Monsters. To be honest, I was not impressed with the 3d with those initial few episodes after reading all the hype, but I will reserve full judgment until I watch more. What did you watch exactly?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1992 of 1999 Old 05-07-2015, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I need to dive into this series as I have had it here for about a year now and have only watched a few episodes of Micro Monsters. To be honest, I was not impressed with the 3d with those initial few episodes after reading all the hype, but I will reserve full judgment until I watch more. What did you watch exactly?
I watched the first 20 minutes of the plants one.

On the back of the box it does say that shutter glasses are required, which I was using.
I'm curious to know if it really matters whether one uses shutter glasses or the polarized glasses. I would think it shouldn't matter.

I also noticed that the front of the case for the plants disc had a different production company logo in the bottom left than that of the other two. Not sure if that means anything with regard to the 3D quality.
Toe likes this.

post #1993 of 1999 Old 05-08-2015, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A really great 3D movie is the Werner Herzog documentary, "Cave of Forgotten Dreams". The bluray has both 3D and 2D versions on one disk.

The difference in looking at these fantastic, 30,000-year-old cave paintings between 3D to 2D is amazing (because 3D reveals the shape of the rocks on which the paintings are drawn). This film also has some of the earliest use of 3D shots from a drone.

Other good 3D films on bluray:
Beauty and the Beast (costs about $25 for the UK region-free import, rental is only slightly cheaper)
Hugo
Pacific Rim
Kiss Me Kate
IMAX 3D films: Under the Sea, Deep Sea, Space Station
post #1994 of 1999 Old 05-11-2015, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by div3r5ity View Post
ok so whats the best 3d bluray movie to get so far?? i plan on buying one today. i did a little research but its between cloudy,monsters vs aliens , and monster house unless i hear different from u guys.
Judge Dredd, best 3D movie ever.

Well, Jackass 3D is up there too.

post #1995 of 1999 Old 05-11-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post
When using the GearVR I feel the feeling of depth on both axises, in front and behind the screen, are comparable to that seen on the active 3D TVs I have owned. I would rate the pop out to be the same and I'm basing that on watching the movie "The Bubble" on 3DTV and with the GearVR. Those who have seen it know this movie has the in your face pop-out so frowned upon by todays "serious" filmmakers. In the case of "Get A Horse" the pop-out effects are enhanced as you are viewing them within the proscenium of a movie theater screen the way I imagine the cartoon's creators planned. In the virtual VR theater space the "stage" in front of the movie screen appears to be in front of the screen in the theater space just as it did when you saw it in 3D at the cinema. It's a terrific effect and one mostly missed when you watch this in 3D on your home setup. Also all 3D content is enhanced in the VR theater due to the blessed lack of crosstalk. The resolution, of course, is not HD quality as your eyes are right on top of a cellphone screen and pixels are noticeable. I have grown use to this and assume it will improve in future units with higher pixel density. The Note 5 is reported to have a 4K AMOLED display. Strictly speaking a 5.9in AMOLED with a - frankly ridiculous - pixel density of 743ppi. This would equate to a native resolution of 2160×3840 pixels. This should provide with a much sharper picture.

As far as 2D material acting like 3D, this is not the case as 2D remains 2D. You need a 3D source to view a 3D image.
Didn't know about the 4K Note 5, that should be great. Although a 4K at the size of the S6 would give 943 PPI and there is already a 4K OLED at that size coming out in 2016.

VR is going to mature very quickly thanks to the smartphone retina display generation. Retina is really 8K for VR goggle distances though. But 4K is going to rock. A co-worker showed me his QHD OLED smartphone with a streaming app to play VR games from his PC. Although over Wifi apparently it's too laggy, you have to plug it in wired via USB to get decent response time.
post #1996 of 1999 Old 05-12-2015, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural scribe View Post
A really great 3D movie is the Werner Herzog documentary, "Cave of Forgotten Dreams". The bluray has both 3D and 2D versions on one disk.
Thanks for the heads- up, ordered. There is another one I thus noticed, supposedly without region coding: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00B...A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

(Maya caves of Yucatan in Mexico)

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #1997 of 1999 Old 05-17-2015, 10:48 PM

Thunder and the House of Magic had some of the best 3D I have seen so far. I am about to watch Madgascar 3.

Matt
post #1998 of 1999 Old 05-18-2015, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi All,

Does this have to be movies seen through blu ray or can it also pertain to 3D films seen on cable? We have HBO, etc. on demand which includes 3D titles for three.

The best we've seen so far of the limited amount that were filmed in true 3D for both effect AND story was "The Great Gadsby".
phildaant and markmathers like this.
post #1999 of 1999 Old Today, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodguy View Post
I know you guys are talking about movies but the best 3D I've seen is on the "Lichtmond" blu-rays, absolutely amazing! Granted it's music, not a movie but damn! They are posted as being region B but they are all region, at least when ordering through Amazon.de.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
I ordered one of these. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the rec.
I HIGHLY recommend anyone that thinks that amazing 3D computer graphics set to German house music might be interesting (or just play your own music while watching). This is the blacklight poster of the 21st Century. Very cool, thanks for posting.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Life by PriceGrabber.com