Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1882 Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary miller View Post

Yes, they are region free (0). I bought the box set myself, and it was a relative 3D bargain, with about a two week delivery time to my home in NYC. If you're buying just one, Ocean Wonderland has the most striking visuals in my opinion. I'd rate it close to Under the Sea visually, although the narration isn't as engaging (Who'da thunk Jim Carrey's voice could actually be calming).

Did you buy it from here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jean-Michel-...900976&sr=1-18

On the description its says Region 2. Is it wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1882 Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefloater24 View Post

Yeah, the region code is wrong. They're all region free.
post #183 of 1882 Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefloater24 View Post

This does seem like a pretty good deal. So just to double check--this item is region free?? I am in Saint Paul, MN, it will play for me?
post #184 of 1882 Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

This does seem like a pretty good deal. So just to double check--this item is region free?? I am in Saint Paul, MN, it will play for me?

I bought them individually months ago and they play fine on my Region A/1 blu-ray player as well as on my PS3. Bundled version is probably just 3 individual ones put together and not new versions so you should be fine.
post #185 of 1882 Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Ok thanks. I placed my order for the set. Hopefully it will play fine
post #186 of 1882 Old 02-18-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb
Open Season was still the best "in your face" 3d I have seen.
How to Train you Dragon is by far the best movie in 3D (one of my favorite ever in any dimension)
Dispicable Me roller coaster scene is amazing, and that is a really good movie too.
My Bloody Valentine had a few moments.
Step Up 3D had a few good moments. Good workout for the subwoofer too.
I agree about the rollercoaster scene in Despicable Me. I hate rollercoasters and when I watched that scene it made my stomach drop...like I was actually on the ride!
post #187 of 1882 Old 02-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Just watched Step Up 3 and now I have to update my ranking order for all the 3D movies I've watched:

1. Avatar and Step Up 3D tie for first place! (IMHO Step Up has the BEST 3D of any 3D Blu ray I've seen and Avatar because it is just visually stunning overall)
2. Alice in Wonderland.
3. Open Season
4. Monsters vs. Aliens
5. Despicable Me
6. Coraline
7. Resident Evil
8. Clash of the Titans
9. Ice Age
10. Piranha
11. My Soul to Take 3D (This should vot have been even converted to 3D IMO)
post #188 of 1882 Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 AM

Resident Evil was one of my favorites so far and I've seen about half of the available titles. The 3d was amazing, as was the picture and soundtrack.
post #189 of 1882 Old 02-21-2011, 03:38 PM

I have been fortunate enough to see most of the available 3D blu rays including all of the "exclusive" 3D blu ray movies. Last night I finally had time to watch Avatar 3D and in my opinion it was the best 3D BY FAR.

WOW!!!!!! Is all I can say about the 3D in Avatar.

Steve
post #190 of 1882 Old 02-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc64 View Post

I have been fortunate enough to see most of the available 3D blu rays including all of the "exclusive" 3D blu ray movies. Last night I finally had time to watch Avatar 3D and in my opinion it was the best 3D BY FAR.

WOW!!!!!! Is all I can say about the 3D in Avatar.

Steve

If you don't mind me asking where did you purchase the bd 3D Avatar from? I went to best buy they told me I have to buy the 3D Ble-ray player to get the movie. I told him I bought my player in December why would I another.
post #191 of 1882 Old 02-21-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieb81 View Post

If you don't mind me asking where did you purchase the bd 3D Avatar from? I went to best buy they told me I have to buy the 3D Ble-ray player to get the movie. I told him I bought my player in December why would I another.

Avatar 3D is a Panasonic exclusive until sometime in 2012. Before it used to be free with the Panasonic 3D starter kit, and now it's free with some Panasonic 3D Blu Ray players. I bought my copy of Avatar 3D (factory sealed) on eBay for $135 from someone who wanted to cash in on its exclusivity. Which is pretty cheap back in December they were going for $300+.

My other 3D BD movies came pretty cheap. Alice In Wonderland 3D was free with my 3D starter kit, Monster House 3D free with my Blu Ray Player, and I bought Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 3D and Open Season 3D at Ultimate Electronics store liquidation for about $28 total for the two.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #192 of 1882 Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

Avatar 3D is a Panasonic exclusive until sometime in 2012. Before it used to be free with the Panasonic 3D starter kit, and now it's free with some Panasonic 3D Blu Ray players. I bought my copy of Avatar 3D (factory sealed) on eBay for $135 from someone who wanted to cash in on its exclusivity. Which is pretty cheap back in December they were going for $300+.

My other 3D BD movies came pretty cheap. Alice In Wonderland 3D was free with my 3D starter kit, Monster House 3D free with my Blu Ray Player, and I bought Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 3D and Open Season 3D at Ultimate Electronics store liquidation for about $28 total for the two.

Thanks for info, I don't understand the great number of 3D sales that this movie is losing out on. I guess I'll wait till 2012 or unless i find a used version online pretty reasonable.
post #193 of 1882 Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieb81 View Post

Ebay, the ultimate starter kit from panasonic, or either the entry level blu ray player or surround sound system from
Panasonic offer the mail in rebate.
post #194 of 1882 Old 02-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs

No offense but when you start paying as much for a film as the player itself, that is the line I draw for absurdity. A purchase of $135 for a film is just mind blowing to me! Makes me wonder how much I can cash in for my new unopened copy of Alice In Wonderland 3D BD.
post #195 of 1882 Old 02-22-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would pay that for How To Train Your Dragon if my friend didn't get it in a samsung kit. It is the ONLY 3D film I bought in 2D, and I bought 2 copies cause it is that good.
post #196 of 1882 Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decrypticshadow View Post

No offense but when you start paying as much for a film as the player itself, that is the line I draw for absurdity. A purchase of $135 for a film is just mind blowing to me! Makes me wonder how much I can cash in for my new unopened copy of Alice In Wonderland 3D BD.

Bad example. Alice in Wonderland isn't a Panny or Samsung exclusive. Anyone can buy it right now on Amazon for $29.99.
post #197 of 1882 Old 02-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

Bad example. Alice in Wonderland isn't a Panny or Samsung exclusive. Anyone can buy it right now on Amazon for $29.99.

Oh.. Well scratch that. It isn't a Sony exclusive?
post #198 of 1882 Old 02-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Big difference with a movie that can be had at any retail store verse a movie that isn't available at a retail level. While I agree $135 is crazy for a single movie Avatar was a great movie and some people find it worth it. I really liked the movie and thought the 3D was excellent and didn't want to wait. I didn't pay over $100 for my copy because I couldn't bring myself to spend that but it's better then those who paid $300+ at the release of it.
post #199 of 1882 Old 02-22-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony has the Micheal Jackson exclusive. They can keep that crap.
post #200 of 1882 Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyrd0m View Post

Big difference with a movie that can be had at any retail store verse a movie that isn't available at a retail level. While I agree $135 is crazy for a single movie Avatar was a great movie and some people find it worth it. I really liked the movie and thought the 3D was excellent and didn't want to wait. I didn't pay over $100 for my copy because I couldn't bring myself to spend that but it's better then those who paid $300+ at the release of it.

Yeahhh, but if it will eventually be at the retail level, why pay over $100? If it was to never be released publicly then I could totally understand it since it would be a limited edition. Even at a "deal" price, the film is still almost 3-4x normal retail value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

Sony has the Micheal Jackson exclusive. They can keep that crap.

Lmao.... I'm still waiting for my copy in the mail from the rebate offer.
post #201 of 1882 Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The worst part about Avatar, is not only is it going to come out on BR3D, a year after that I bet they come out with the extended edition so you have to buy it again.

I can't figure out Samsung exclusives. They have one with all the shrek movies and a different one with How To Train Your Dragon and iMax movies.
Whoever let that happen sucks.
post #202 of 1882 Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

My Blu Player player was $300, so $135 isn't quite the same Here's my rational. At the end of December I spent well over $7,000 on a new 3DTV, 3D Blu Ray Player, 3D compatible A/V Receiver, a new surround set up, an Xbox 360 and PS3. I've never seen Avatar before and in all honestly it doesn't look like my type of movie, but I'll give it a whirl and everything that I've read calls it the benchmark for in home 3D as far as visual effects go. I see no point in laying down the coin I did for a whole new setup and not having some real kickass content. So all in all $135 is really nothing compared to what I spent and it enables me to enjoy what I have. I just spent 7 grand what's another $135? And like I said Alice was free with the Sony Starter Kit, Monster House came with the Sony BD Player, and I got good deals on the other two. I spent about $165 on my five 3D BDs, that works out to be $33 a pop. Which isn't that bad.

My only problem is for the past month, I've been putting in 60+ hour weeks at work. So while I've had Avatar 3D for two weeks now I have yet to watch it and I'm hard-pressed to find 3 hours to dedicate to watching it. But all of this OT that I got and will continue to get for the foreseeable future is what allowed me to splurge on myself. Hopefully this weekend I can sit down and watch it.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #203 of 1882 Old 02-22-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I watched the 2D Avatar version converted to 3D and it was pretty good, I expect the real thing to be mind numbing.

Hope'n it gets here soon. The beauty of the kit was that it actually had it in the box, I hate waiting.
post #204 of 1882 Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

My Blu Player player was $300, so $135 isn't quite the same Here's my rational. At the end of December I spent well over $7,000 on a new 3DTV, 3D Blu Ray Player, 3D compatible A/V Receiver, a new surround set up, an Xbox 360 and PS3. I've never seen Avatar before and in all honestly it doesn't look like my type of movie, but I'll give it a whirl and everything that I've read calls it the benchmark for in home 3D as far as visual effects go. I see no point in laying down the coin I did for a whole new setup and not having some real kickass content. So all in all $135 is really nothing compared to what I spent and it enables me to enjoy what I have. I just spent 7 grand what's another $135? And like I said Alice was free with the Sony Starter Kit, Monster House came with the Sony BD Player, and I got good deals on the other two. I spent about $165 on my five 3D BDs, that works out to be $33 a pop. Which isn't that bad.

My only problem is for the past month, I've been putting in 60+ hour weeks at work. So while I've had Avatar 3D for two weeks now I have yet to watch it and I'm hard-pressed to find 3 hours to dedicate to watching it. But all of this OT that I got and will continue to get for the foreseeable future is what allowed me to splurge on myself. Hopefully this weekend I can sit down and watch it.

Yeah, I can see your point there. All I'm saying is it sucks people even have to be forced to do that. Imho opinion the entire film industry are a bunch of crooks. Then they wonder why things get pirated. Which sucks because I suppose they counter pirating with these lame scheduling schemes to force the honest people to shell out 2-3 times the amount on the copy they want to purchase. :-(
post #205 of 1882 Old 02-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Just finished watching bout half of Monsters Vs Aliens on comcast HBO 3D on demand. It was definitely enjoyable to watch! Makes me wonder how it looks on 3D blu ray. I could definitely see how this could rank up there among the best movie content available. I did notice however while watching that there was a bit of an audio sync issue. Especially when the characters said more than a couple words. Any more than 1 or 2 words and it was a bit distracting. I switched over to a regular HBO on demand movie and didn't notice any sync issues nor did I notice any issues when I popped in a 3D blu ray. Has any other comcast user out there noticed these sync issues while viewing 3D content through on demand-namely HBO 3D?
post #206 of 1882 Old 02-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm sure you could overlook the "absurdity" if someone was willing to offer you $135 for your copy of Alice in Wonderland.

Heck...couldn't you argue that all of us spending money on 3d sets during on the middle of the worst economic crisis in our lifetimes represents the very definition of the word "absurdity".
post #207 of 1882 Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traylorc View Post

I'm sure you could overlook the "absurdity" if someone was willing to offer you $135 for your copy of Alice in Wonderland.

Heck...couldn't you argue that all of us spending money on 3d sets during on the middle of the worst economic crisis in our lifetimes represents the very definition of the word "absurdity".

True, but we all need that little bit of investment of happiness in our lives. I would gladly accept $135 for AIW. Too bad I didn't buy a Panny.
post #208 of 1882 Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I started to list all the thousands of dollars of stuff I have sitting around that I used less than the time I have watched How to Train Your Dragon 3D and it was making me sick so I stopped.
post #209 of 1882 Old 02-25-2011, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Wait...how many times have you watched How to Train Your Dragon 3d?
post #210 of 1882 Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

How does the 3D look on bluray compare to comcast tv 3d

If you where watching the same movie
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Rise Of The Guardians Blu Ray 3d , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , A Turtles Tale Sammys Adventures Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Tron The Original Classic Five Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age Dawn Of The Dinosaurs Blu Ray 3d , Monsters Vs Aliens Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page