Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D [Blu-ray] is now available to order from Amazon - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 171 Old 01-13-2011, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is an intriguing discussion. I'm on the bullish side about RE in 3D, but admittedly there are a few scenes that are fairly flat. Then again, I don't think a lot of depth is appropriate for every scene in every movie. My desk, where I'm typing is against the wall in a narrow room. Life can be flat.

If you browse user blu-ray 3D reviews on Amazon, which arguably features a lot of unsophisticated feedback, you'll read angry criticism from those expecting a constant assault on the senses. If T-Rex isn't jumping off the screen and barfing on their lap, they feel cheated.

I'm confident that is not what is going on here, but I wonder if our subconscious "mental set" (expectations) come into play. For example: I thought Pirahna 3D looked fairly flat. Since others have been impressed by the depth, I wouldn't rule out my own psychological "set", whether I was aware of it or not. I don't know if this little theory of mine has merit, but I'm adding it to the mix of possible perception differences.

This article is exactly a year old, but if you haven't seen it, it provides a couple of stereo-acuity tests:

http://www.mediacollege.com/3d/depth...ereoblind.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droozy View Post

I thought the reverse field of depth (going to the Back of TV) was stunning.... the pop out of screen depth was limited though, and truly, alot of beginner 3d people, thats all there really looking for is frontal depth. Which is not what 3D is about IMO.

I take some exception to that. I've been a 3D fan since I was a little kid in the 60's. I still love in front of the screen effects when they're used the same way a great chef uses seasoning. Unfortunately, too many directors go overboard, but directorial excess also applies to a lot of movie making techniques these days (i.e. high speed shutter, shaky cam, etc.).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 171 Old 01-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary miller View Post

I'm confident that is not what is going on here, but I wonder if our subconscious "mental set" (expectations) come into play. For example: I thought Pirahna 3D looked fairly flat. Since others have been impressed by the depth, I wouldn't rule out my own psychological "set", whether I was aware of it or not. I don't know if this little theory of mine has merit, but I'm adding it to the mix of possible perception differences.

It really is interesting. EVERY other title I have watched (~15 now) I have been happy to some degree as far as the depth goes.........it was just REA that I found unusually flat and I dont know why.....

To throw another wrench in the fire, the AVS member who I traded REA to (for HTTYD) just sent me a PM and thought the depth was great Like I have also mentioned, my buddy Sam has the same projector/player (even VERY similar settings) as me and loved the 3d in REA. Who knows.......

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #153 of 171 Old 01-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Just watched it, have to say it was one of the least impressive titles I've seen so far in 3D. Some good pop out moments, but the depth just wasn't there for me for a majority of the movie. I have a panny 58" VT25 and a PS3, and of the 10 or so movies I've watched in 3D, this one seemed to have the least amount of depth.
post #154 of 171 Old 01-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1TMAN22 View Post

Just watched it, have to say it was one of the least impressive titles I've seen so far in 3D. Some good pop out moments, but the depth just wasn't there for me for a majority of the movie. I have a panny 58" VT25 and a PS3, and of the 10 or so movies I've watched in 3D, this one seemed to have the least amount of depth.

Care to provide your top 10 ranking?
post #155 of 171 Old 01-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Welcome to the club

post #156 of 171 Old 01-17-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deArgila View Post

This is for movies only, I own or have watched most of the documentaries as well. From best to worst:

Monsters vs aliens
Alice in wonderland
Coraline
Despicable me
Ice age 3
My bloody valentine
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs
Resident evil afterlife
Piranha

I also have legend of the guardians, just haven't watched it yet.
post #157 of 171 Old 01-18-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by deArgila View Post

My brother bought this movie a week ago it wouldn't play in his PS3 1st gen boxin. So he came over and I popped it in my BDT 300 we watched it all the way through. After the movie he asked me if I wanted it for free, there really was no hesitation to my response and I politely passed on the freebie. I said get your money back if it won't play in your sony. Amazon is pretty good about things like that.

So far I've watched:
Panasonic Demo.
IADOTD
Coraline
AIW
CWACOM
REA

The only movie I bought was CWACOM I'm waiting for better content with real life characters. So the only one I would really put at the top right now is REA because of real people, but a very terrible written movie. They may need more 3D practice with the camera's. Avatar is by far the best 3D movie out there right now. Just for pure enjoyment/eye candy and a somewhat better written story with plenty of 3D pop hands down Avatar atm...
post #158 of 171 Old 01-22-2011, 07:42 PM

Something goofy just happened and I wonder if it has anything to do with extreme opinions of the 3d in this movie.

I just put it in my 3d player and it came up with 2d menus (didn't think much of it since I didn't remember the menu being in 3d). But I tried to play the movie and it didn't recognize my TV as being 3d. When I tried to play the movie in 3d it said "3d TV needed" or something like that. So I stopped the disk and restarted it and it came back up with the awesome 3d menu.

So I'm thinking maybe the disk doesn't always recognize the 3d tv. Maybe the people seeing no depth are actually watching the 2d version without realizing it. I know I'm grasping at straws, but I'm just trying to find an explanation and I thought this was weird.
post #159 of 171 Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Just finished watching it again. It remains among the very top of my 3d films.

I tried to watch it from the perspective of someone who thought the 3d was awful, but came to the conclusion that their brains must not work quite right.
post #160 of 171 Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajibo View Post

Something goofy just happened and I wonder if it has anything to do with extreme opinions of the 3d in this movie.

I just put it in my 3d player and it came up with 2d menus (didn't think much of it since I didn't remember the menu being in 3d). But I tried to play the movie and it didn't recognize my TV as being 3d. When I tried to play the movie in 3d it said "3d TV needed" or something like that. So I stopped the disk and restarted it and it came back up with the awesome 3d menu.

So I'm thinking maybe the disk doesn't always recognize the 3d tv. Maybe the people seeing no depth are actually watching the 2d version without realizing it. I know I'm grasping at straws, but I'm just trying to find an explanation and I thought this was weird.

That is a good thought, BUT if that was the case nothing would be in 3d. I definitely noticed it was 3d at times since there was some depth here and there, and the pop-out moments were some of the best I have seen on the format...........the depth in general was just very weak compared to everything else I have seen on blu ray 3d. Considering this was a native 3d title made that all the more confusing.

Quote:

I tried to watch it from the perspective of someone who thought the 3d was awful, but came to the conclusion that their brains must not work quite right.

lol..........you could be right, but strange that it was only this movie that my brain did not work quite right with and even then, I still got all the pop-out moments. Every other blu ray 3d I have watched (~15 now) my brain has "worked right" with.

post #161 of 171 Old 01-23-2011, 09:21 AM

I might get my copy delivered late this week or early next next. Happy to read continuing comments about it being a great 3d film.
post #162 of 171 Old 01-23-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:

lol give the people here a little credit. My glasses wouldn't come on if it was 2D.
post #163 of 171 Old 01-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Just watched the first 15 mins. Watching the rest tonight.

I was pretty blown away by the quality of the 3D. I was afraid ghosting was an inherent problem with this technology, but this movie proves that its all about content. The conversions don't hold a candle to this, and it seems like consoles are half-assing it.

I'm running a Panasonic BDT350 and VT25. Hopefully more movies of this quality are made available to the public. Otherwise, 3D is in trouble.

*Its worth noting that I'm using XPand glasses.
post #164 of 171 Old 01-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik View Post

Just watched the first 15 mins. Watching the rest tonight.

I was pretty blown away by the quality of the 3D. I was afraid ghosting was an inherent problem with this technology, but this movie proves that its all about content. The conversions don't hold a candle to this, and it seems like consoles are half-assing it.

I'm running a Panasonic BDT350 and VT25. Hopefully more movies of this quality are made available to the public. Otherwise, 3D is in trouble.

*Its worth noting that I'm using XPand glasses.

I saw some ghosting here and there in this one.......not much, but its there on my projector. Near the end in the all white room there was a fair amount to give one example. I am convinced that ghosting is a hardware flaw though (TV/projector) and not the disc. Otherwise, all these ACER projector owners would not be claiming all these 3d blu rays are ghost free.........some of these owners have other 3d TVs or projectors as well which do ghost, so it sure seems to me that ghosting is a TV/projector issue at least as far as these blu ray 3ds are concerned.

post #165 of 171 Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 AM

Watched the rest. Saw slight ghosting on the muzzle of a gun in a dark scene. That was it.

Compared with Spacestation 3D, this was night and day.

Can't wait to get Avatar in the mail, and for Sanctum to come out on blu ray.
post #166 of 171 Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Just finished watching it again. It remains among the very top of my 3d films.

Totally agree. On my 75" laservue with either the Mitsu or Ultra-Clear IR glasses running through the BDT100 it was the best 3D I've ever experienced. Tons of depth and no ghosting throughout.
post #167 of 171 Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:

This is for movies only, I own or have watched most of the documentaries as well. From best to worst:

Monsters vs aliens
Alice in wonderland
Coraline
Despicable me
Ice age 3
My bloody valentine
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs
Resident evil afterlife
Piranha

I also have legend of the guardians, just haven't watched it yet.

I would agree with you spot on except I would also add Clash of the Titans after Ice Age.
post #168 of 171 Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just came in to say I was never into the hype of 3d until last night. My bother in law got his 60inch mits set up and we previewed Resident Evil After Life. I was blown away by the quality. Ive never seen 3d in theaters or in home yet and i thought it was just a fad for a year and would go away. Not anymore. I'm glad the 3d in this film was done right. I did see some ghosting on a gun muzzle twice. No big deal I can live with it. I can wait to watch avatar now.

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #169 of 171 Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Looks like Canada finally got this release. My local FutureShop finally had it in stock for $29.99. Not bad price considering there asking $39.99 for Piranha 3D. I'll probably pick it up this week, since my last 3D purchase was Despicable Me.
post #170 of 171 Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I watched tonight, really enjoyed.
post #171 of 171 Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_avenger View Post
Just want to throw my 2 cents in. This is the first 3D bluray that I've seen and I thought it looked great. Almost every scene had a pop out(torches, holding guns etc) but the best scene was the fight scene in the prison shower with the first boss from RE5(hooded guy with big axe) My tv is a samsung UN46C8000 with my phat PS3 directly connected to the tv(my 3D BR player is backordered)
!!! good stuff I think 3d is subjective per person watching.
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page