post #31 of 52 Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I am hoping for the opposite. I want the scope version in 3d.

Same here. This is not a movie that should have it's visuals cropped off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 05-26-2013, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So what is the status of Beowolf 3D coming to Bluray? I did a search and can't find any dates, yet 3dgo.com shows the movie in their "coming soon" list.
post #33 of 52 Unread 10-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Bump...

I see that the 3D version is being released Oct. 09 in France and Germany (according to Amazon.de and Amazon.fr). If anyone has any information on these titles, I would be interested to know if they're region-free (or region-A compatible), and how good the 3D looks. It's too bad no North American release has been announced.
post #34 of 52 Unread 10-06-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Bump...

I see that the 3D version is being released Oct. 09 in France and Germany (according to Amazon.de and Amazon.fr). If anyone has any information on these titles, I would be interested to know if they're region-free (or region-A compatible), and how good the 3D looks. It's too bad no North American release has been announced.
Amazon.fr has it listed as All Region.

post #35 of 52 Unread 10-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 531
So we're looking at about $43 to import to the US?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #36 of 52 Unread 10-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The price is pretty crazy... I want the 3D version, but not at that price. At least the title has been confirmed to work on Region A players (along with DTS-HD track in English).
Toe likes this.
post #37 of 52 Unread 10-07-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Is this the same movie that has been on Netflix 3D. Happen to see it in the 3D menu last night. You might want to check it out before buying the 3D BluRay. Even if you don't have Netflix 3D capability, you can still view the movie story and the animation quality to see if it's worth the $$.
post #38 of 52 Unread 10-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Is this the same movie that has been on Netflix 3D. Happen to see it in the 3D menu last night. You might want to check it out before buying the 3D BluRay. Even if you don't have Netflix 3D capability, you can still view the movie story and the animation quality to see if it's worth the $$.
Good advice and this is why I want it. I have owned the HD-DVD for years and really enjoy the story and A/V, but man ~$40 is too rich for my blood.

post #39 of 52 Unread 10-07-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 115
It is unfortunate that the director and the studio have chosen to ignore American audiences when it comes to the 3D release of this movie on Blu-Ray. Even the 2D version I've owned for years now was sourced from the UK due to the fact that a U.S. version was impossible to find at the time.
post #40 of 52 Unread 10-07-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just ordered this from Amazon Germany for $31.84 shipped to the US.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #41 of 52 Unread 10-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
It is unfortunate that the director and the studio have chosen to ignore American audiences when it comes to the 3D release of this movie on Blu-Ray. Even the 2D version I've owned for years now was sourced from the UK due to the fact that a U.S. version was impossible to find at the time.
Agreed. Not too mention it is being reported over on bluray.com from those who have the French version that the 3d version is the inferior (IMO) theatrical cut. Why wouldn't they give us the directors cut in 3d?

post #42 of 52 Unread 10-10-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I have the 2D version, which I convert via the Teranex to 3D -- looks very similar to what I saw at the theatre back seven years ago or so but with out any negative parallax -- arrows etc. stop at the screen (thank god! ). It was fun to see it again in 3D.

Maybe there's just no market for the 3D version in North America -- too bad. I bought the Teranex as insurance against this type of backward thinking. I'm watching all movies in 3D with four different DLP projectors so how a movie is released (2D only or in 3D) isn't an issue for me anymore; however, I think it's a shame that a company like Disney has reneged on its 3D promises of only a few years ago (at least with respect to North American consumers).
post #43 of 52 Unread 10-10-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Maybe there's just no market for the 3D version in North America -- too bad. I think it's a shame that a company like Disney has reneged on its 3D promises of only a few years ago (at least with respect to North American consumers).
Oh, there's a market for it. Disney just does not wish to take advantage of it. And, given the fact that (after FROZEN) they've now region-locked discs, they don't want U.S. consumers to enjoy 3D releases either. Heck, they don't even have the guts to make an announcement about preventing access to 3D. (Probably because they don't want the negative feedback...larger than they'd find here.)

post #44 of 52 Unread 10-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have the 2D version, which I convert via the Teranex to 3D -- looks very similar to what I saw at the theatre back seven years ago or so but with out any negative parallax -- arrows etc. stop at the screen (thank god! ). It was fun to see it again in 3D.

Maybe there's just no market for the 3D version in North America -- too bad. I bought the Teranex as insurance against this type of backward thinking. I'm watching all movies in 3D with four different DLP projectors so how a movie is released (2D only or in 3D) isn't an issue for me anymore; however, I think it's a shame that a company like Disney has reneged on its 3D promises of only a few years ago (at least with respect to North American consumers).
I am going to splurge for it I think. "Only" $28 shipped to Denver from Amazon.it which is more that I wanted to pay, but much better than the $43 from France. I really like this movie and the A/V. If the Netflix 3d streaming is anything to go by, the 3d should be fantastic on this with great depth and pop (among other things, I remember a spear coming WAY out of the screen in the Netflix version which was fantastic!). I have been wanting this in 3d for a long time and am looking forward to watching it.

post #45 of 52 Unread 10-10-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is apparently available for less through Amazon.it (link to the blu ray).

It appears to be a single disk and I suspect it's the same disk as the French and German versions. Unfortunately I didn't see a screen grab of the back of the case to verify Region or whether it was the director's cut / theatrical cut etc.

Italian release isn't until Oct. 22. I know a couple of folks that have ordered this version so I may hold off until they get theirs to confirm a few details before I import myself. Been waiting on this one for quite a while now.

What's irritating to me is that it's hard for me to believe that a U.S. release of this wouldn't sell at least as many copies as an Italian, or even French, or German release, if not more. Maybe the combined overseas market(s) for 3D has grown larger than the U.S. but they're still separate releases right? I mean, Italy gets its own release, as does France and Germany; there's not one release for the entire European market. Or perhaps it's a single disk that's been pressed and only the packaging is altered...

Whatever the case, I can't imagine that the costs for a domestic release would be so prohibitive as to be un-profitable. It's not like they'd need to re-encode or re-master the film, or even the audio for a 3D blu. Just whip up some english packaging, tweak the disc label and call it done. Reportedly the menus for the French release at least are already all in english so even that is already done.

I'm not even sure I buy into the "3D has failed" tripe so many of the pundits are pushing. With all the complaints I'm hearing on multiple sites about the lack of domestic 3D releases for Maleficent, Frozen, Need For Speed, and of course this, I feel like it's more the naysayers just telling folks 3D isn't popular, rather than that actually being the case. But I don't know what the real numbers have to say. And of course most of the films I just listed are under Disney control, so hopefully other studios will not be following in kind. Ok... I'm a gittin' off muh soapbox now...
post #46 of 52 Unread 10-10-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
... "Only" $28 shipped to Denver from Amazon.it ...
Oops. Didn't see you'd already referenced the Italian release in your post Toe. My bad.
Toe likes this.
post #47 of 52 Unread 10-10-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
... I have the 2D version, which I convert via the Teranex to 3D -- looks very similar to what I saw at the theatre back seven years ago or so but with out any negative parallax ...
Deja Vu, everytime I read one of yours or Cinermax's posts regarding the Teranex I become more interested in it.

Not to leap off-topic but is it really that good?

I recently tested the PowerDVD Ultra v13 software after hearing mostly positive things regarding its 3D conversion capabilities. I was sorely disappointed, even after tempering my expectations greatly. I didn't see a dedicated Teranex thread, so as not to derail this one, feel free to point me to another thread with more info on it.

I'd initially assumed the Teranex would be prohibitively expensive but after looking into it, it's nowhere near as much as I'd expected. I'm also curious as to whether it features any of the same 2D upscaling features as its 2D brethren. Or whether they have a 4K version in the works. From what I understand of the tech, it sounds the 2D piecie of it could do wondrous things in terms of 4K upscaling if they ever implement it...
post #48 of 52 Unread 10-29-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I am going to splurge for it I think. "Only" $28 shipped to Denver from Amazon.it which is more that I wanted to pay, but much better than the $43 from France. I really like this movie and the A/V. If the Netflix 3d streaming is anything to go by, the 3d should be fantastic on this with great depth and pop (among other things, I remember a spear coming WAY out of the screen in the Netflix version which was fantastic!). I have been wanting this in 3d for a long time and am looking forward to watching it.
Did you get it? If so, what do you think of the 3d?

Thanks,
Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #49 of 52 Unread 10-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post
Did you get it? If so, what do you think of the 3d?

Thanks,
Tom
I never got around to ordering it. Reports are a bit mixed on the 3d at bluray.com. Sounds like depth is a bit inconsistent, but lots of popout.

post #50 of 52 Unread 11-01-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagenstein View Post
Deja Vu, everytime I read one of yours or Cinermax's posts regarding the Teranex I become more interested in it.

Not to leap off-topic but is it really that good?

I recently tested the PowerDVD Ultra v13 software after hearing mostly positive things regarding its 3D conversion capabilities. I was sorely disappointed, even after tempering my expectations greatly. I didn't see a dedicated Teranex thread, so as not to derail this one, feel free to point me to another thread with more info on it.

I'd initially assumed the Teranex would be prohibitively expensive but after looking into it, it's nowhere near as much as I'd expected. I'm also curious as to whether it features any of the same 2D upscaling features as its 2D brethren. Or whether they have a 4K version in the works. From what I understand of the tech, it sounds the 2D piecie of it could do wondrous things in terms of 4K upscaling if they ever implement it...
Try this thread -- here you'll find a somewhat heated discussion about the Teranex:

Should Studios Do 2D to 3D Conversions, Or Are On-Board 2D to 3D Converters Sufficient?
post #51 of 52 Unread 11-13-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i watched beowulf 3D yesterday.German version. and have to say it is very good.

have benQ w1070 projector. 3D pop is great, just like i remembered it in the cinemas. this movie made me fall in love with 3D in the first place. also the movie holds up pretty well. storywise it aint so good. but 3D, animation is very nice.

defintly a keeper if you like 3D
post #52 of 52 Unread 11-13-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagenstein View Post
T

I'm not even sure I buy into the "3D has failed" tripe so many of the pundits are pushing. With all the complaints I'm hearing on multiple sites about the lack of domestic 3D releases for Maleficent, Frozen, Need For Speed, and of course this, I feel like it's more the naysayers just telling folks 3D isn't popular, rather than that actually being the case. But I don't know what the real numbers have to say. And of course most of the films I just listed are under Disney control, so hopefully other studios will not be following in kind. Ok... I'm a gittin' off muh soapbox now...
As I posted elsewhere, I know that CAPT AMERICA 2 accounted for almost 20% of ALL COMBINED Blu-Ray and DVD sales. And GRAVITY was the fastest selling 3D disc to date (faster than AVATAR!). Of course, not ALL titles can sell that well, but that is usually the case across the board. So you are correct...it's not that the market isn't there or that 3D has "failed"...it's the industry that has failed (and in Disney's case...spit on) the consumers.

Reply 3D Content