Be Shocked BY SHOCK LABYRINTH - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 78
This is one of the most amazing live action 3-D movies. It is grainy but the 3-D effects are incredible.

The movie has no English tracks or subtitles, watched it in Japanese with German subtitles, still I could see a roomful of people enjoying it just in that fashion, 3D CULT QUEEN.

From Amazon Germany.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A UK version is coming on DVD in January, presumably with an English subtitle option, but only in green/magenta anaglyph from. I don't see a lsiting for an active Blu-ray 3D (yet).
post #3 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 PM

Liked: 11
I got around to seeing this-- if you like popout, this is the movie for you, but not necessarily in a good way.
It seems that in most of the scenes, half the objects are in front of the screen, that is, the stereo window is halfway into the scene.
A lot of the time the subtitles appear behind objects they should be overlaid on.
Objects out of the screen, on the sides, are occluded unnaturally in mid-air. It's not unwatchable, but it's not easy on the eyes sometimes with all the window violations, you may want to sit further back than usual. If you get the disc, put a post-it note on the screen for reference and you'll see what I mean.
The bonus interview with the director talks a bit about the 3D, it is a native 3D production, they made their own camera. He said he didn't want to do gratuitous pop out effects. There were a couple of scenes with a hand sticking way out of the screen, but I've never seen a 3d movie with so much of ordinary scenes out of the screen, I don't know if they didn't have a stereographer, or if they did it intentionally, or didn't care. I hope the director tries 3D again though, I'd like to see more foreign 3D movies.
A review is here:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shock-Labyrinth-3D-Blu-ray/38958/#Review
post #4 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderaytube View Post

I got around to seeing this-- if you like popout, this is the movie for you, but not necessarily in a good way.
It seems that in most of the scenes, half the objects are in front of the screen, that is, the stereo window is halfway into the scene.
A lot of the time the subtitles appear behind objects they should be overlaid on.
Objects out of the screen, on the sides, are occluded unnaturally in mid-air. It's not unwatchable, but it's not easy on the eyes sometimes with all the window violations, you may want to sit further back than usual. If you get the disc, put a post-it note on the screen for reference and you'll see what I mean.
The bonus interview with the director talks a bit about the 3D, it is a native 3D production, they made their own camera. He said he didn't want to do gratuitous pop out effects. There were a couple of scenes with a hand sticking way out of the screen, but I've never seen a 3d movie with so much of ordinary scenes out of the screen, I don't know if they didn't have a stereographer, or if they did it intentionally, or didn't care. I hope the director tries 3D again though, I'd like to see more foreign 3D movies.
A review is here:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shock-Labyrinth-3D-Blu-ray/38958/#Review

This reminds me of a thread that I started on bluray.com a while back asking the question, is it possible to have an entire scene done completely outside of the screen? It would be interesting to see even just a minute ot two of a scene outside of the screen if it's possible. Or have all of the limitations for 3D been reached already?
post #5 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 PM

Liked: 11
I take it back about the subtitles, looking at it again they were usually pretty careful about using 3D subtitles and either popping them out over the objects or putting the subtitles on the side away from popped-out objects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

This reminds me of a thread that I started on bluray.com a while back asking the question, is it possible to have an entire scene done completely outside of the screen? It would be interesting to see even just a minute ot two of a scene outside of the screen if it's possible. Or have all of the limitations for 3D been reached already?
Sure it would be possible, you could just adjust the parallax, i.e. shift the images horizontally so that none of the objects are behind the screen. I could be hard on the eyes, depending on the depth of the objects when it was filmed, i.e. if you had both objects at infinity and close up in the same scene. You can experiment yourself with stereo movie maker http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stvmkr/
post #6 of 6 Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I just got this in rental and it is a combo disk with English dubbed sound in 5.1 option.

I thought the story was boring and the 3D was poorly done. Lots of double images that didn't converge. Thanks for the tip on viewing the director's comments about 3D and his "home made camera". I should go watch that. Edit- Did not see where they were using or tried to create a "home made camera" Did note that the director seemed to have a desire to experiment with gimmick exaggerated 3D, however. Regardless of the technical weakness, the story was also very weak.

There were some scenes that had good 3D depth and no double imaging, like the spiral staircase and the bubbles of water suspended in air but frankly, I didn't understand the significance of many of the filler scenes. Then there were other scenes that were so washed out I was bothered by the picture quality. I think the director attempted to do the white wash effect for a purpose but it just detracted from the viewing.

I'm glad I rented this as I would have been upset paying full retail for it.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Shock Labyrinth 2d 3d Blu Ray Dvd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page