avatar 3d bluray marketing failure - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If Panasonic went out and paid enormous amount to secure an option to distribute Avatar on Bluray as an exclusive deal with 3d early adopters and purchasers, youd think more information would be available to the public and especially from Panasonics Canadian website, the only info is on the .com. Furthermore, Ive been in touch with Best Buy, Future shop and other large retailers, and they know NOTHING about the promotion. Which leaves me to believe that Panasonics Marketing team isnt doing there job in all these continents. Its all about creating hype, and this was an opportunity for Panasonic to truly promote a great product ( VT25 ) and generate new adopters to 3d by including the best 3d film to date. Its an enormous failure because not one retailer knows about the promotion. Dec 1 is around the corner and nobody even knows about this... besides us offcourse. Not sure if the fault should be on Panasonic, Fox, or the retailers for not sending out the message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Liked: 44
The promotion starts Dec.1. That is when their websites will be updated. They have already said this in numerous articles and blogs. along with this:

post #3 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The promotion starts Dec.1. That is when their websites will be updated. They have already said this in numerous articles and blogs. along with this:

Im aware of the ads, but its still an dismal failure in every respect, as retailers, who sell the product in the USA and in Canada which are 2 major markets are ingnorant about it even being available on Dec 1. Panasonic.com has a teaser, but Panasonic.ca mentions nothing. It is a monumental branding failure
post #4 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayeah View Post

Im aware of the ads, but its still an dismal failure in every respect, as retailers, who sell the product in the USA and in Canada which are 2 major markets are ingnorant about it even being available on Dec 1. Panasonic.com has a teaser, but Panasonic.ca mentions nothing. It is a monumental branding failure

Why don't you just wait until Dec. 1 to make any rash judgements. Only two days away.
post #5 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Why don't you just wait until Dec. 1 to make any rash judgements. Only two days away.

im happy about the film, im making judgements because branding and marketing is what you do leading up to dec 1. which they failed
post #6 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

im happy about the film, im making judgements because branding and marketing is what you do leading up to dec 1. which they failed

Well, that is your opinion. Panasonic has decided to wait until Dec. 1. They feel they don't need any marketing "leading up to Dec. 1" and instead will kick off the promotion on Dec. 1. I am sure they will be plenty of hoopla and fanfare on the 1st.

Plus, they really don't want people to wait to make a purchase of one of their 3DTVs until 12/1.
post #7 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
It's hard to call anything a failure when they will be shipping these things as fast as they can fill the orders. Little or no marketing is required. My guess is they will move all available copies in a pretty short time. Their biggest problem will be processing all the orders, so the less marketing the better from that perspective.
post #8 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, that is your opinion. Panasonic has decided to wait until Dec. 1. They feel they don't need any marketing "leading up to Dec. 1" and instead will kick off the promotion on Dec. 1. I am sure they will be plenty of hoopla and fanfare on the 1st.

Plus, they really don't want people to wait to make a purchase of one of their 3DTVs until 12/1.

lol Lee, its not an opinion, its fact based on a marketing and branding education. The .com info clearly states past and future viera customers.Im simply stating they could have gotten more bang for there buck if they have informed there retail partners. Also have info on the nternational sites.
On dec 1, they will give a form to existing clients to claim there copy, but what would have worked better is to have retailers inform potential buyers especially now during the holidays about the bundle, its not even on amazon.. Poor campaign. Its a fact not an opinion.
post #9 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

It's hard to call anything a failure when they will be shipping these things as fast as they can fill the orders. Little or no marketing is required. My guess is they will move all available copies in a pretty short time. Their biggest problem will be processing all the orders, so the less marketing the better from that perspective.

Actually yes sometimes little or no exposure does work, but in this situation and since 3d is still an unsure purchase among buyers this was a massive opportunity to draw in new buyers, and they had months to build on this and failed to do so. Especially at the retailer level.
I wouldnt worry about orders, thats the easy part, they are already pressed i can garanttee you. They could have sold more tvs and exposed Panasonic much more.
post #10 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:

lol Lee, its not an opinion, its fact based on a marketing and branding education. The .com info clearly states past and future viera customers.Im simply stating they could have gotten more bang for there buck if they have informed there retail partners. Also have info on the nternational sites.
On dec 1, they will give a form to existing clients to claim there copy, but what would have worked better is to have retailers inform potential buyers especially now during the holidays about the bundle, its not even on amazon.. Poor campaign. Its a fact not an opinion.

Best Buy is supposed to tell their customers on Black Friday:

"Don't buy that $1500 3DTV today. Wait until Dec. 1"

post #11 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Best Buy is supposed to tell their customers on Black Friday:

"Don't buy that $1500 3DTV today. Wait until Dec. 1"

hehe well i called 10 best buys, in canada and usa, and 2 of the sales personel in the home theatre new what i was talking about ... but they knew because of what they read here...
post #12 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Lee Stewart is right on this. I think you are jumping the gun calling out Panasonic on poor marketing. They wouldn't wont to start promoting too early as it could off set November sells. And its not like any retailer is going to tell you to come next month to get this tv.
post #13 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Totally agree on this. They are going to be pressing copies and fulfilling orders just as if it were a wide release. My guess is the rebate form will be online to print & mail.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #14 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
Totally agree on this. They are going to be pressing copies and fulfilling orders just as if it were a wide release. My guess is the rebate form will be online to print & mail.
absolutely! they are ready and the pressing has been done for months, What they lost out here was an opp to truly get a new niche of clientele and support for 3d. They failed to advise all retailers, and have info on all the panasonic sites (canada) which i thing was biggest mistake. Yes Panasonic owners will have there movies but new buyers still dont know about it
post #15 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post
Lee Stewart is right on this. I think you are jumping the gun calling out Panasonic on poor marketing. They wouldn't wont to start promoting too early as it could off set November sells. And its not like any retailer is going to tell you to come next month to get this tv.
What you say makes no sense, mainly because no matter when you buy a tv you get the movie. So past, present and future. Starting to make sense?
post #16 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What you say makes no sense, mainly because no matter when you buy a tv you get the movie. So past, present and future. Starting to make sense?
I get what you are saying. I still think its too early to say how they have done. People will be buying new tvs from black Friday all the way to the super bowl. I'm sure they will ramp up the marketing soon. I myself am a samsung guy, I own UN46C8000. Its kinda small so I'm in the market to get the PN63C8000 but considered the Panasonic 58/65 vt20 only because of avatar 3d. I feel Samsung offers better value, cheaper plus more features and excellent picture quality. Panasonic has done a great job without marketing as I was dead set on anther samsung but with avatar pulls me toward Panasonic. I'm still in the air as which to get but most likely Samsung, but I'm going to wait for ces to see whats in store for next year, I can wait as I have a great tv in the c8000 I own now.
post #17 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

It is still pretty cool that Panasonic is looking to make previous buyers get Avatar along with new customers. I purchased my 50VT25 in September.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #18 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
You missed the crux of the Dec 1. announcement. Those buying a 3DTV (VT and GT) on Dec 1. or afterwards get the Ultimate Pack included at no extra charge. The UP includes two pair of their newly redesigned active shutter glasses (which are now USB rechargable instead of battery operated) AND . . . the Avatar 3D BD which is right in the box.

post #19 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
It is still pretty cool that Panasonic is looking to make previous buyers get Avatar along with new customers. I purchased my 50VT25 in September.
that is cool they did that, I got my c8000 back in April. I got the MvsA bundle, I wouldn't mine getting how to train your dragon and sherk 3d. At least give us the opportunity to buy them because I bought a samsung 3d tv.
post #20 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 05:59 PM

Panasonic has stated on facebook they have limited copies of avatar on 3d and trying to get a copy to everyone who bought a tv in Canada or the USA . They may limit the bundle packs to increase copies of the DVD to send out to already customers who bought a tv.. It was James Cameron and the studio on the date not panasonic.
post #21 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Its an enormous failure because not one retailer knows about the promotion.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's premature.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #22 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:

absolutely! they are ready and the pressing has been done for months, What they lost out here was an opp to truly get a new niche of clientele and support for 3d. They failed to advise all retailers, and have info on all the panasonic sites (canada) which i thing was biggest mistake. Yes Panasonic owners will have there movies but new buyers still dont know about it

And they are not supposed to until 12-01-2010

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...-_-VIERA-Alias
post #23 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You missed the crux of the Dec 1. announcement. Those buying a 3DTV (VT and GT) on Dec 1. or afterwards get the Ultimate Pack included at no extra charge. The UP includes two pair of their newly redesigned active shutter glasses (which are now USB rechargable instead of battery operated) AND . . . the Avatar 3D BD which is right in the box.

no didnt miss it, am fully aware of the new glasses and kinda excited as these ones suck.your missing my point , i love panasonic and im excited to get avatar 3d. All im saying IS
- They couldnt have done much more leading up to dec 1, which they didnt, and with my experience, and im pretty savvy when it comes to marketing and branding, they misses an opp to draw many new customers worldwide. They kept a small teaser on .com but missed .ca altogether as well as .net
People who are walking into best buy in the usa and canada and not all but most get greeted by ignorant salespeople that know nothing about the promo and it just makes them look bad.
Because 3d is new, and only now its starting to pick up, and when you acquire a license like this, you USE it. creatively and they didnt.
I know you all dont want to admit pani did anything wrong but no corp is perfect, and they really missed this one.
Offcourse they will sell panis after dec 1 and people will hear about it. BUt all the missed people beforehand is a shame shame shame
post #24 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm_etue View Post

And they are not supposed to until 12-01-2010

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...-_-VIERA-Alias

no ure right its dec 1. im talking about the hype before, NONEXISTENT among non-avs members if you catch my drift
post #25 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's premature.

it will do well dec 1. But the campaign leading was poor. and poor communications with retailers who matter,
post #26 of 60 Old 11-29-2010, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

bottom line is im excited as we all are, will be nice to see. I just think there are many creative ways to hype a launch.
post #27 of 60 Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:

bottom line is im excited as we all are, will be nice to see. I just think there are many creative ways to hype a launch.

Rumor: Avatar Blu-ray 3D Exclusive to Panasonic This November
May 27, 2010

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Rumor-...-November/6758

Confirmed: Avatar 3D Blu-ray Panasonic Exclusive
Posted September 3, 2010

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5089

Avatar gets 3D Blu-ray release, comes with free Panasonic 3DTV
By Rich Trenholm on 1 November 2010

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/...3dtv-50001361/

LOL - PLENTY of hype. Just not in the retail stores themselves which again makes sense because retailers don't want people to wait to buy something ESPECIALLY heading into and during Black Friday weekend, the second biggest shopping week of the year.

Plus - the whole issue of CEM exclusive 3D BDs is a VERY hotley contested issue.
post #28 of 60 Old 11-30-2010, 04:17 AM

I really don't care what Panasonic does as far as promoting this Avatar 3D bluray.
Nor do I care anymore about Avatar 3D being a 1 year Panasonic exclusive.

All I care about is that I've already purchased it on Ebay for a couple of hundered bucks and I'll be enjoying it this weekend when it arives!

Screw the 1 year Panasonic exclusive deal. Screw the $399 kit at Best Buy.
And screw Fox, Cameron and Landau.

Peace.
post #29 of 60 Old 11-30-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx1 View Post
I really don't care what Panasonic does as far as promoting this Avatar 3D bluray.
Nor do I care anymore about Avatar 3D being a 1 year Panasonic exclusive.

All I care about is that I've already purchased it on Ebay for a couple of hundered bucks and I'll be enjoying it this weekend when it arives!

Screw the 1 year Panasonic exclusive deal. Screw the $399 kit at Best Buy.
And screw Fox, Cameron and Landau.

Peace.
Sounds like you're the one who got screwed, I can only imagine how much you paid on eBay.
post #30 of 60 Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811

Sounds like you're the one who got screwed, I can only imagine how much you paid on eBay.
Lol!!!

-Bane

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page