Giants of the Patagonia - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Got this from Amazon and watched it with my brother yesterday on my PN63C8000 plasma; the results were mixed.

Overall a nice, sharp and colorful image with some good 3D moments of various dinosaurs seeming to poke their massive heads out of the screen; some of these closeups were almost disturbingly realistic.

Unfortunately there was also a lot of visible ghosting on this title; pretty much every scene which featured some area with shadows (and there were a lot of them, both live and CG) displayed a visible double image within the shaded section. The opening sequence in outer space with an asteroid hurtling towards Earth also had some pretty bad ghosting.

The disc also came with a bunch of previews of other Imax titles; sadly they were all in 2D.

For a budget title ($15.99 from Amazon) I still thought it was a good deal, but I was really disappointed at the apparently shoddy 3D mastering job that much of the title appeared to receive, especially considering the number of 3D titles that have now been released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watched this yesterday. Very good title. The 3D was very well done on this title. There is the depth everybody loves along with some nice pop out moments. There are some nice in your face moments. I had zero ghosting with this title. It is well worth the price. You will be happy with the realism of the presentation.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-05-2011, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post

I watched this yesterday. Very good title. The 3D was very well done on this title. There is the depth everybody loves along with some nice pop out moments. There are some nice in your face moments. I had zero ghosting with this title. It is well worth the price. You will be happy with the realism of the presentation.

Tony and Bat - could you tell us what model TVs you watched this on? Since one of you had no ghosting and the other had a lot it must be the TVs. I'm going to guess that the no ghosting was seen on a Panasonic Plasma 3D TV since that is the model that repeatedly is reported as giving the best results for viewing of 3D taken by the Fuji Finepix W1 and W3 3D cameras.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-05-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

Tony and Bat - could you tell us what model TVs you watched this on? Since one of you had no ghosting and the other had a lot it must be the TVs. I'm going to guess that the no ghosting was seen on a Panasonic Plasma 3D TV since that is the model that repeatedly is reported as giving the best results for viewing of 3D taken by the Fuji Finepix W1 and W3 3D cameras.

I have a Samsung LED DLP. I have only had ghosting on one disc out of 26, Space Station 3D and even that was minimal.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I have the Samsung 63" plasma. I watched parts of the disc again today, after my TV was thoroughly warmed up and while the PQ was better I still noticed some ghosting in the same spots.

While DLP TVs do tend to yield better 3D, I'm inclined to think the mastering of the disc is at least partly responsible for the double images in this title as most 3D blu rays I've watched on my plasma look great. Just today I also saw Ultimate Wave: Tahiti and the picture was bright, vibrant, colorful and just plain perfect with ghosting absolutely non-existent other than one very minor instance near the end of the show (the white tuning knobs on a ukelele against the black background led to some ghosting for a few seconds).
post #6 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I never see ghosting or crosstalk with my 720p DLP Link projector (Optoma HD66). When you report crosstalk, please do mention your TV brand and type.

I experiment with making 3D videos and see the software provides some methods of crosstalk cancellation. Apparently, some 3D sets need that more than others.

I enjoy Giants of Patagonia a lot - it is my favorite dinosaur movie.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Watched it last night on my 75" Laservue and really liked it. The only scene where I saw ghosting was the museum scene with the kid by the giant fossil. The audio kicked a lot of butt as well.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Nice review over at bluray.com.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-11-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

I never see ghosting or crosstalk with my 720p DLP Link projector (Optoma HD66). When you report crosstalk, please do mention your TV brand and type.

I experiment with making 3D videos and see the software provides some methods of crosstalk cancellation. Apparently, some 3D sets need that more than others.

I enjoy Giants of Patagonia a lot - it is my favorite dinosaur movie.

I watched this on the 720p Acer using the Nvidia glasses - no ghosting whatsoever. I enjoyed it.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-14-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just picked this up and it is a favorite. Very well done 3d on my Acer as well.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page