AVS Forum banner
210K views 2K replies 268 participants last post by  Jay5298 
#1 ·
Anybody doing business with, or have past experience with:

http://www.3d-blurayrental.com/

As they are going to have my credit card on file, I really would like some history with them by others.

Anybody know them?

#1,332 · (Edited)
new rentals

Just spotted a couple of new rentals today, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 3D and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 3D. They are naturally not covered by subscriptions, but the rental price is also a fraction of the purchase price of around $30.

These were not mentioned in the "coming soon" section of the rental site the last time I checked for them, and they weren't there a day or two ago when last I checked the 3D rental list.

I have been waiting for these, and will rent them both when I can. Short wait on both, naturally.

#1,333 ·
Just spotted a couple of new rentals today, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 3D...

Saw the availability of Spiderverse too. But I saw it already in 2D after someone inquired about it and was told they were not going to get it. So they lost out on a rental from me.

I really, really wish they would keep their "Coming Soon 3D" list current with their plans so I could plan my movie watching. Especially with the non-US 3D releases. As I mentioned in a post a year ago, I'll hold off on a seeing a movie if I know it's coming in 3D.

#1,334 ·
Do they drop their rental price after time has passed? For example, if a 3D rental first becomes available at the above subscription price will it eventually be reduced in price to be available to subscribers at no additional charge? Any thoughts on how long it would take before the reduction in price if they do drop the price?

#1,335 ·
The title would have to become less rare, cheaper to stock. How often does that happen?

I don't remember a "premium" rental ever dropping into standard rental plan range, but new editions sometimes appear that may be standard rentals.

-Bill

#1,339 ·
Some disks are hard to get and cost more for them to buy and rent. They don't just buy one, they buy many to rent. This is not a non-profit enterprise. Let's make sure they are successful, as they are really the only ones left that still go after hard-to-get 3D blurays. Isn't that what the stimulus money was for, to buy game systems, blurays and other electronics...:)

#1,340 ·
Let's make sure they are successful, as they are really the only ones left that still go after hard-to-get 3D blurays.
Not only 3D, but also 4K. Last week I phoned Netflix to ask when they would start renting UHD discs. The phone rep answered, "Honestly, never." Netflix simply wants to get out of the disc business. 3dbluray is going to be getting more of my dollars going forward.

#1,345 ·
Netflix is sneaky if you go online and load your que. You'll see a list of the latest and then you can go through the rest, but many times a new disk, which you know is out does not show up. You then have to search for it directly and then find it. They seem to not promote really hot movies to try to get you to see others, since people these days pretty much only que up the blockbusters.

#1,354 ·
The three discs I received yesterday were shipped on August 5th. So five days. Which has been the typical shipping time for me over the years. Sometimes they might show up in four days or six. And then you have a rare disc that gets lost or takes two or three weeks to show up. So basically in my area, Northern Virginia, the postal shipping times are not far off the norm.

My GF in Maryland sent a B-day card to my brother last week. That did take two days to show up. But that has been the case for years now. A decade ago it would have only taken one day to go from Maryland to Northern Virginia.

#1,356 ·
Blame the Postal Service. Mail has had delays in many parts of the country.

#1,358 ·
No it's just the crappy postal service. They probably would have had the same issues without COVID-19 being around.

#1,362 ·
I typically order several a week. Assuming there are three titles I want. I just try to make sure I order new releases one week before release day. When they first become available to order. That way I will usually get them shipped out the week of release.

#1,368 ·
Up until this month they would ship them out Monday and I got them Thursday, Friday once or twice but at the latest.

This month I still have not got my movies from October 5th, 13th, or 19th. Not their fault but I also am not happy having 5 movies who knows where that I’m probably responsible for.

#1,372 ·
Up until this month they would ship them out Monday and I got them Thursday, Friday once or twice but at the latest.

This month I still have not got my movies from October 5th, 13th, or 19th. Not their fault but I also am not happy having 5 movies who knows where that I’m probably responsible for.
You guys have to remember also the USPS is bogged down right now with all these mail in ballots getting sent out and sent back. All mail in general, including ballots seem to be getting delayed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#1,370 ·
I'm going to try this service again next year but as everyone else is saying, the lead times are terrible right now. Maybe just do non-subscriber orders.

#1,371 · (Edited)
That would cost me much more. I'm still getting eight to twelve titles a month on my three out plan.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0 Black

#1,373 ·
FOX news tested USPS by sending 500 letters to NYC.
Letters from Los Angeles kicked butt.
Letters from Dallas took the longest to arrive.
And letters from NYC to NYC also took a long time.

#1,375 ·
So mine finally arrived yesterday. Shipped on the 9th, stamped by PO on 10th and delivered on 26th. One of the discs was cracked about half a dozen places. But the other disc was fine. The packaging looked fine too. Yeah, PO is backed up but this one probably got sorted wrong and mishandled.

#1,377 ·
I just rented another disk, but that was before I read a Nov. 6 email (I got behind on my emails) from 3D blurayrental saying they are going to charge me a late fee, and possibly a movie replacement fee for a movie I rented last month.

I received the movie on Oct. 15 and mailed it back on Oct. 19, but as of Nov. 6 they had not received it yet (the fee is based on an assumption of much faster USPS delivery times than are now common). They might yet get it. Several years ago, they got one disk back from me about a year after I mailed it. Lost in the system, I guess.

These days, the mail service is so bad that USPS is ignoring court orders to find election ballots lost in the mail, so I don't know if that movie is ever going to get delivered.

This is just one more reason to stop trying to rent movies that rely on post office delivery and return.

I suppose things could be worse. A couple of months ago in France hikers found a message inside a small aluminum capsule. The message had been sent by carrier pigeon from one German army officer to another in 1910, 110 years ago. It arrived too late.

#1,378 ·
I just rented another disk, but that was before I read a Nov. 6 email (I got behind on my emails) from 3D blurayrental saying they are going to charge me a late fee, and possibly a movie replacement fee for a movie I rented last month.

I received the movie on Oct. 15 and mailed it back on Oct. 19, but as of Nov. 6 they had not received it yet .
Here is an update, the company voided the late fee, and agreed to wait for the movie after I explained the situation by email. Later, I got an email from the company saying they finally received the movie on November 18, so it took almost exactly a month from the date I mailed it back to them (Oct. 19).

The company's policy (for non-subscription rentals) is " ... after you receive the title, you have 7 days before you need to put it back in the mail to us. After 35 days from the ship date and if we still have not received back the rental, you will be charged the current manufacturer's suggested retail price or market value ..."

It looks like this policy doesn't take into account slow mail service. It would penalize a customer for something which is not the customer's fault. Luckily, I did not have to pay any fees this time, even though the company received the movie back about 39 days after the original reported shipping date.

In an email to me, the company acknowledged that "We have definitely been seeing a delay with USPS as of late ..."

#1,384 ·
Buyer beware on this service, from a long term former customer. As many people have commented, this is a great idea, but the execution is horrible. I kept expecting it to improve, but it never did. Just canceled the 2 DVDs per month because sick of the late service and delays! Rarely did I get 2 DVDs in a month because there was not enough time. And if they did tell you it was going to be a "short wait" (have to laugh at short) which was most of the time on new releases, it was even longer because I refused to pay the ransom they asked to cut in line. So I finally canceled and asked for a refund on the 3rd. They said no, but i had until the 29th to rent 2 dvds! Well, ironically it took 18 days for the first DVD to get here and it was not listed as a short wait! And they cant blame it all on the post office as it didn't even ship for 5 days!! So I asked again for my money back and they said this doesn't qualify as a reason for a refund. And they didn't even apologize or address the 18 day issue. So I asked again and reminded them that January has 31 days so not only were they not giving me a refund for very poor service, but they were literally downgrading what I already paid for! They did NOT even respond! So just asked 1 more time and I am giving them a few days to do the right thing.

Also reading some comments that there web site is bad and it is actually worse than it seems. Very confusing and hard to deal with! And forget about doing it on a smart device! you would think they would have an app, but they wouldn't need one if their web site was functional.

I will post an update in a few days, but I would definitely NOT recommend this service. Even if the service was good, I was basically paying $8.99 for 1 DVD per month. I am very disappointed because the DVD is definitely better quality video and sound on my 4k tv. Oh well...

#1,385 · (Edited)
No idea about DVDs? I didn't even think they rented DVDs? But I've been renting 2K/3D BDs from them since 2012 and UHD BDs from them since 2016.

And I just looked at my account. In the past month I received nine titles from them. Which is not too bad. Now there certainly are mailing delays because of the USPS. And I've had a few titles take over two weeks to arrive. But I've had no problem getting a regular stream of 2K BD and UHD BD rentals shipped to me over the last ten months.

#1,386 ·
Wish my experience was as good as yours. At least they finally did the right thing, but a pretty COLD response...
"Your subscription has been cancelled effective immediately. All movies outstanding at this time will need to be returned within 7 days. Any movies that you are currently waiting on will be cancelled. We have also processed a refund of $8.99 for the last charge." That's it! Good luck to the rest of you, I'm out...

#1,387 ·
I have been using them for about 5 months, but I do not do the subscription. True I am paying more for movies, but I only pay for what they ship. USPS has hurt them bad as I find that at times it is 2+ weeks from the time they ship until I get it and I have had some take 3+ weeks to get back to them. I rarely sit on the disc more than 2 days. If that means a discs is out for over 5-6 weeks I am amazed they can stay in business right now. For me they have been very helpful as a few times they sent me warnings about over due discs and I reply telling them when I got it and when I sent ti back. They note it on my account and I gt and email when they eventually get the returned disc. I have rented over 50 discs from them already. While I might have spent more then $350 on the rentals it is better than the over $1,000 I would have spent to buy them.

#1,389 ·
USPS has hurt them bad as I find that at times it is 2+ weeks from the time they ship until I get it and I have had some take 3+ weeks to get back to them.
I agree that slow mail delivery is hurting them, and a lot of other businesses that rely on timely mail deliveries.
In testimony this week in Congress, Postmaster General Louis DeJoy apologized for the delays, but most of this is his own doing, and Congress is responsible for this as well.

The postal service is an essential government service, and should be treated as such, and properly funded as such. The first step in that process is to dump DeJoy, and it looks like that is in the works.