AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   3D Content (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/196-3d-content/)
-   -   http://www.3d-blurayrental.com/ (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/196-3d-content/1322117-http-www-3d-blurayrental-com.html)

insman1132 03-16-2011 09:03 AM

Anybody doing business with, or have past experience with:

http://www.3d-blurayrental.com/

As they are going to have my credit card on file, I really would like some history with them by others.

Anybody know them?

plew 03-16-2011 09:23 AM

I just returned two movies yesterday. I have avatar ordered. I'll let you know what happens.

I also use netflix and have had broken discs sent to me. I'm weary about shipping back using the Postal Service. I fedex back to them. I do not want to be liable for a broken disc. See FAQ. They ship out with self addressed stamped envelopes just like netflix.

thefloater24 03-16-2011 09:42 AM

I've never heard of them. Their prices are reasonable considering they pay for shipping both ways.

audiopho 03-16-2011 11:03 AM

This is great!
It's exactly what I've been waiting for.
It takes Paypal, btw which to me is much safer.
Just rented the How to Train Your Dragon since I've read good 3d review about this movie and it's not available for purchase anywhere.

dojoman 03-16-2011 11:21 AM

Anyone know what city are they located? Their FAQ page shows Northern California. I'm definitely interested now if they're like one city away from my home. It will take 1 day to get my movies.

audiopho 03-16-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post

Anyone know what city are they located? Their FAQ page shows Northern California. I'm definitely interested now if they're like one city away from my home. It will take 1 day to get my movies.

I'd assume Bay area.

bandit7319 03-16-2011 01:13 PM

I like the idea but those prices are higher than Renting it on Time Warner. Also did you see Avatar? $30 to rent? Plus $120? Jeez. i mean I understand the need for it but a $30 rental, screw that lol

plew 03-16-2011 01:18 PM

They are in Santa Clara.

You are charged $120 and refunded $90 when returned.

dojoman 03-16-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plew View Post

They are in Santa Clara.

You are charged $120 and refunded $90 when returned.

I wonder if I can pick up the movie person.

plew 03-16-2011 01:58 PM

email them. they are very responsive.

lostonceagain 03-16-2011 02:20 PM

Looks like someone who decided to rent out their 3d collection. I've got a feeling the site won't last too long once the studio lawyers find out about it. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong because this would be awesome.

BishopLord 03-16-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insman1132 View Post

Anybody doing business with, or have past experience with:

http://www.3d-blurayrental.com/

As they are going to have my credit card on file, I really would like some history with them by others.

Anybody know them?

It's kind of funny but you can buy the movies for less then they're charging up front and then turn around and sell them on Ebay, Craigslist or Amazon after you watched it so you could get your money back. With the exception of Avatar 3D and pre-release Tron, all my 3D movies are used but they looked brand new and were shrink wrapped and were almost 1/2 the price of new (except for Step Up 3D, that one I only save a few bucks).

Right now I'm almost regretting buying these as I only watched some once or partial (including Avatar 3D). If I had a choice, I'd prefer to rent them. I'm not into collecting movies like I once was. I'd rather have digital copies now, or watch it once.

bachuka 03-17-2011 01:20 AM

I've rented 5 movies from them and have been very satisfied with their service. Quick delivery...I've been getting them in about 1-2 days after they said they shipped it. It's kind of nice since I'm in Silicon Valley. As for mailing it back, the mailing address is in Santa Clara, CA and I've just been using the pre-paid envelope they included and have not had any issues.

They refund the money right away too once they get the movie back. I think since they use Paypal, they do not have access to your credit card info. I have not called Paypal to verify but I'm sure you can call Paypal and they will give you the answer. Paypal has a refund policy and I've used it in the past with ebay transactions...the other parties credit card information was never visible to me.

bravia3D 03-17-2011 02:53 AM

Looks like a very cheap made site that's not even legal. Like someone said (I'm gonna rent 3D movies to make cash) threw a quick site together and started. I have a feeling the site don't have permission to rent those movies and what the person is doing is illegal. Once the studio lawyers find it, that guys gone. Wonder how many others they will come after.

nickels55 03-18-2011 11:43 AM

Well, I emailed them this question:
Quote:

I have one not in the FAQ - is this legal? It seems to me what you are doing isn't at all legal... but what do I know. I love the idea though!

And they replied:
Quote:

Thank you for your concern. Our business is very much legal and hopefully solving for a small niche of customers – who much like ourselves, are 3D enthusiasts.

plew 03-18-2011 11:53 AM

I returned two movies and was credited same day. Paypal.

msgohan 03-18-2011 04:12 PM

Worth keeping in mind, from PayPal's FAQ:

Quote:

If you paid using a credit card, the money is refunded to that credit card. Depending on the company that issued your credit card, it might take up to 30 days for your refund to appear on your credit card statement.

If you paid using your bank account or PayPal account balance, the money is refunded to your PayPal account.

If you paid using a combination of a credit card and another payment method, the amount paid with a credit card is refunded to that credit card. The remaining amount is refunded to your PayPal account.

I ended up with overdraft fees last year because I was under the impression refunds go back to the bank account.

bravia3D 03-19-2011 02:59 PM

Though they claim it's legal, I honestly wonder if they have a license to do this? I would think a site renting 3D blu-rays would be much more professional looking.

Run4two 03-19-2011 03:28 PM

I don't know. They seem to be treating customers right, and they are filling a void in the market. I hope BB, Netflix, or better yet Redbox or other kiosks go this way!

Paul.R.S 03-19-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Looks like a very cheap made site that's not even legal. Like someone said (I'm gonna rent 3D movies to make cash) threw a quick site together and started. I have a feeling the site don't have permission to rent those movies and what the person is doing is illegal. Once the studio lawyers find it, that guys gone. Wonder how many others they will come after.

Quote:

Though they claim it's legal, I honestly wonder if they have a license to do this? I would think a site renting 3D blu-rays would be much more professional looking.

Perhaps a JD will weigh in as opposed to me and my 15+ years in L.A./Hollywood legal circles but it's not my understanding that a "license" is required to rent movies or that what this guy is doing is "illegal." Rental outlets buy the titles from distributors/studios. It's a distributor-purchaser not licensor-licensee relationship. What "law" are you referring to that you surmise he's violating--copyright? This is not copyright infringement.

I'm not even sure how this guy is making money if he's acquired enough discs to have any kind of copy depth. From the pricing, it looks like most but not all titles have to be "turned" a few times to recoup the purchase price before he even starts to see any gravy.

bachuka 03-19-2011 06:17 PM

I agree with Paul that this does not sound illegal. Their customer service is top notch, price seems fair, availabilty is good with fast turnaround, and is someting we've all been asking for. They will continue to have my business. As for their site, I like it....it is easy to use, answers the questions I have...just does what it is suppose to do. If they went all corporate my guess is that it would increase the price. Not a trade off I'd like to see.

BishopLord 03-19-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D
I live in NorCal and there are still a lot of independantly owned Asian video stores. This operation sounds like one of these and they finally expanded online. Hell, Netflix was started by one guy back in the late 90's after he was charged late fees when he returned a movie and who knows how those little red boxes ended up on every corner and supermarket. Point being, if it was an independant video operation that is trying to expand online with 3D movies, he's more than likely licensed to do so. I'm surprised there aren't more people doing this. I should get a loan and start one, LOL.

samalmoe 03-20-2011 09:11 AM

just ordered pirana from him. hope its not toooo bad

bravia3D 03-20-2011 02:56 PM

Oh, well sorry then guys. I been in Japan over 10 years and so used to the laws here that I forget what's legal in the US.

Here in Japan that would be a BIG no, no. I guess over there it's alright?

So let me get this right, anyone can basically rent out movies if you buy them from distributors/studios?!
If that is correct, why aren't there more 3D movie rental sites? Seems easy enough, and seems like there really is a market for it. Heck, if I was now in the USA I would jump on it.

Paul.R.S 03-20-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Oh, well sorry then guys. I been in Japan over 10 years and so used to the laws here that I forget what's legal in the US.

Here in Japan that would be a BIG no, no. I guess over there it's alright?

Briefly, what law(s) would this be violative of in Japan?

Quote:

So let me get this right, anyone can basically rent out movies if you buy them from distributors/studios?!

Not just anyone can set up an account with a studio's home video department to get product. The studio is going to want to know that you're legit and, more importantly, credit-worthy and generate sufficient rental/sales volume. But yes, "anyone" can buy BDs or DVDs and then turn around and rent them. This is the case if it's an individual or small group as I suspect with this site all the way "up" to what redbox parent Coinstar did when some studios imposed a 28-day embargo on making new releases available to redbox in an attempt to protect sellthrough: redbox sent employees to retailers to buy embargoed DVDs to stock their kiosks. There just has to be a market to compel folks' interest in something they can't get elsewhere and, as this thread evinces, there clearly is for 3D BD rental.

Quote:

If that is correct, why aren't there more 3D movie rental sites? Seems easy enough, and seems like there really is a market for it. Heck, if I was now in the USA I would jump on it.

Money. Again, these folks had to buy a not insignificant number of discs in order to satisfy the rental needs of a growing 3D BD rental population that is rife for exploitation. This site is currently the only game in town I know of. There's not one post in this (or the Blu-ray.com) thread about this site yet complaining about being told that a disc someone wants to rent is not in stock. Think about that.

advocate2 03-22-2011 09:02 AM

I just received FIFA 2010. I had not wanted to purchase this, so the rental idea is great. Let's see how long it takes to get the credit back to my paypal account. If all goes well I will rent more from them.

FWIW, the 3D video quality on FIFA 2010 was better than the 3D broadcast quality last summer on Directv.

plew 03-22-2011 10:16 AM

I had to wait a couple of weeks for Avatar. They charged my account otherwise spot is lost. I think they may only have 1 or 2 copies.

bachuka 03-22-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plew View Post

I had to wait a couple of weeks for Avatar. They charged my account otherwise spot is lost. I think they may only have 1 or 2 copies.

I have not had that experience. I'm up to about 8 rentals from them, and I've only had to wait once and it was about 5 days. Hope that was a one off for a hot title. Heck, compared to Netflix and Blockbuster, I've had to wait 1+ month before so pretty cool for a smaller operation in my opinion.

Roussi 03-22-2011 12:47 PM

I rented it (Avatar) immediately when the site was mentioned in a 3d rentals thread ((Netlfix? less than two weeks ago), and they sent it the same or next day. Returned last week, refunded, good service. Ordered next one.

ColdZero 03-25-2011 09:36 AM

I just rented a disk from them a few minutes ago, I'll post on my experience once I have it.