AVS Forum banner

Obscure 3D Blu-Rays (hard to find, other regions, etc)

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  thefloater24 
#1 ·
Maybe this would be best folded into the official AVS Blu-Ray Topic Thread, but since content is still so sparse, I thought it might be worth creating a thread dedicated to titles that seem to fly under the radar.

For Blu-Ray 3D, I’m region A locked and am always very interested in learning if titles released overseas are region free or not – and since the region compatibility printed on the sleeve is not always a representation of the reality, I figured a topic specifically on this might be of use.

Most folks here probably are aware of the Illustrated 3D Movie List -
http://www.3dmovielist.com/3ddvds.html

– I have a few Blu-Rays that can be added to the list and some region code info that I've yet to see confirmed.

These titles all play in my Region A player and have an English language track:

1) Garfield's Pet Force 3D / Spain release - English Language – available on ebay.es

2) Magic Journey to Africa / Spain release – English language - available on ebay.es

3) Oceanworld 3D / Dutch release – pops up from time to time on ebay

- I can't speak to the quality of the films themselves, but the 3D on all three of these titles (above) looks good on a quick skim through.

4) Jean-Michel Cousteau's Film Trilogy: Sharks / Dolphins and Whales / Ocean Wonderland / I have the Aussie release - pretty widely reported

5) Bear 3D – pretty widely reported - available through amazon.de – bad, bad conversion.

These titles all play in my Region A player and have English subtitles:

5) Child’s Eye 3D / Hong Kong release – available at yesasia.com

6) Shock Labyrinth 3D / Taiwan release – in SBS format - available at yesasia.com

7) Natalie 3D / Hong Kong Release - available at yesasia.com – have this one pre-ordered

I also received the two Grizzly Adams Productions 3D releases out of the USA:

8) Fabric Of Time 3D

9) Friends For Life 3D

I was surprised to find that both of these appear to be burn on demand BD–Rs and both of my copies have major audio issues. The audio track on Fabric of Time skips throughout the film – but the picture remains stable. Friends For Life has a similar problem on the menu music – but I haven’t encountered the issue on the soundtrack in the film itself. I’m waiting for a response from customer service. Hopefully they are just bad discs and not part of a larger problem.

The 3D on Fabric Of Time looks okay (there is some depth) – but at first glance Friends For Life looks awful. These are the first two releases in Grizzly Adam's previously announced 200 million dollar deal to convert their existing 2D catalog to 3D - and I was really expecting a much better job for the money being invested. Most of the film looks untouched. Occasionally on a static establishing shot there is a poor attempt at creating an illusion of depth. If and when I get replacement copies, I'll revisit them and give them another chance.

I also gambled on the German Blu-Ray release of “Inalienable” and that is indeed Region B locked.

I'm curious about region confirmations on a few titles -

Wildlife 1 - Striker 3D (German release)

Alpha and Omega (French)

One title I'm hoping someone can share info about is “Cane Toads: The Conquest”. It appears that there is a Russian Blu-Ray 3D release, but I haven't been able to find much information at all. I'd love to know if it is playable in Region A – and if so, anyone know of a reliable vendor that ships outside of Russia?

See less See more
#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefloater24 /forum/post/20171006

cool. I notice the on the ebay listing it say region B. Is that just wrong?

Yes. Thats one of the most frustrating things - it may even say on the packaging itself that it is Region B, but it may be code free. The only way to know for certain is for someone to try it out. I bought Garfield and The Magic Voyage to Africa (VIAJE A AFRICA) blindly hoping they would actually be code free and I can confirm they will play on US players.

So great - hope that helps. Maybe we can all dig up some other titles too!

PS - Oceanworld 3D seems to be available in various countries. The only one I'm sure is Blu-Ray 3D and all regions is the Dutch release (though it also comes with cardboard glasses and an anaglyph version on the same disc)

#9 ·
I bought the Jean-Michel Cousteau's Film Trilogy from amazon uk and its region free. I was hesitant because of the region code thing at amazon and other sites until I read a review of it from another member from this forum or some other.

The Lover's Guide 3D is region free. The Behind the Scene is region B though.

I can't wait for Sea Rex 3D to come out. National Geographic totally screwed up by not releasing Sea Monsters in 3d-bluray.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefloater24 /forum/post/20171650

I bought the Jean-Michel Cousteau's Film Trilogy from amazon uk and its region free. I was hesitant because of the region code thing at amazon and other sites until I read a review of it from another member from this forum or some other.

The Lover's Guide 3D is region free. The Behind the Scene is region B though.

I can't wait for Sea Rex 3D to come out. National Geographic totally screwed up by not releasing Sea Monsters in 3d-bluray.

Sea Monsters has already been released twice, right? As a flat Blu-Ray and then and anaglyphic 3D release... I believe they both came out before the advent of Blu-Ray 3D. Maybe it will get a third release at some point?

Bluray-disc.de has an extensive list of upcoming German Blu-Ray 3D discs here:
http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/blu-ray-3d

Some are very interesting titles - like Sony releasing Battle For Terra on June 6th. I think a 3D release is already out in China (?). In the USA I believe the 2D version is under Lions Gate's control.

Germany certainly seems to be leading the way in conversions - LOL. I'm not such a purist that I'm necessarily against it, but outside of films that were converted theatrically for 3D, I've yet to see a conversion that does anything but hurt the format.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Yes its been released twice. I've watched both versions and they don't come to close to 3D eye candy I experienced when I watched it at the IMAX threatre. I emailed National Geographic regarding this and they said they have no plans to release it in Blu-ray 3D.

I'm also not a fan of conversions so I'm not going to buy until I get some reviews of them.

There's a remake of movie called Sex and Zen that coming out in 3D. Just judging from the trailer I have a feeling its going to be cheesy 3D. If you love stuff flying toward your screen unnecessary for the sake of showing off 3D you might find this movie cool.

Check out the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5j8ZYnRyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotandserious /forum/post/20174028

Sea Monsters has already been released twice, right? As a flat Blu-Ray and then and anaglyphic 3D release... I believe they both came out before the advent of Blu-Ray 3D. Maybe it will get a third release at some point?

Bluray-disc.de has an extensive list of upcoming German Blu-Ray 3D discs here:
http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/blu-ray-3d

Some are very interesting titles - like Sony releasing Battle For Terra on June 6th. I think a 3D release is already out in China (?). In the USA I believe the 2D version is under Lions Gate's control.

Germany certainly seems to be leading the way in conversions - LOL. I'm not such a purist that I'm necessarily against it, but outside of films that were converted theatrically for 3D, I've yet to see a conversion that does anything but hurt the format.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.