AVS Forum banner

Isn't it about time you guys start ranking the 3D movies into tiers?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dfergie 
#1 ·
Seems like when HD-DVD's and Blu Ray's came out, both forums had picture quality sticky threads, where they would rank all the releases. I think with Blu Ray, there is also a ranking thread for the lossless audio quality. Since the 3D experience is all about being wowed, where is our official 3D Blu-Ray 3D quality ranking thread?

Also, if somebody does make a thread, I think there should be two rankings. The first ranking, would just be the overall ranking, with every movie released to date (whether exclusive or whatever). The second ranking should just be the most recent movies, like say releases in the last 60 days.

#2 ·
There will be too many arguments over "ghosting"! Those who have DLP displays will rate a movie much higher since they won't see any ghosting. Those with Plasma displays will knock a point or two off the overall score for ghosting while those with LCD displays, may, in some cases feel the movie is unwatchable due to ghosting. Maybe it should be rated for each display type.

LCD 6/10

Plasma 8/10

DLP 10/10

Would that help?

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie /forum/post/20232866

I avoid the tier threads as they end up "elitist" in tone ... if it looks good to me, that is all that matters and I do not need others "approval"

No no, don't you understand, you can't be happy just because you think you are happy, you need to be told by an appropriate authority to be happy, regardless of what you "feel".

But yeah, I will refer to tier threads only if I suspect a disk may be the victim of a bad transfer (Traffic, anyone?), and even then I may pick it up if I feel it is the only transfer available in the foreseeable future.

shinksma

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1
Seems like when HD-DVD's and Blu Ray's came out, both forums had picture quality sticky threads, where they would rank all the releases. I think with Blu Ray, there is also a ranking thread for the lossless audio quality. Since the 3D experience is all about being wowed, where is our official 3D Blu-Ray 3D quality ranking thread?

Also, if somebody does make a thread, I think there should be two rankings. The first ranking, would just be the overall ranking, with every movie released to date (whether exclusive or whatever). The second ranking should just be the most recent movies, like say releases in the last 60 days.
It can be done but like others pointed out, there are far more variables when it comes to 3D. Different styles of glasses, projection, LCD Plasma DLP TV's, "sweet spot", passive glasses, silver screen, SBS, Checkerboard, frame packed, 1080p vs 730p, etc.

With HD... it was much simpler comparing which format had the sharpest clearest image and even that is still debateable.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie /forum/post/20232866

I avoid the tier threads as they end up "elitist" in tone ... if it looks good to me, that is all that matters and I do not need others "approval"

The only thing that I really use the tier threads for, are to look at the two extremes.

The movies that rate at the absolute top:

If I haven't seen any of those movies, then I'll go out of my way to check them out.

The movies that rate at the bottom:

I'll just avoid wasting my time on these movies. For example, I recently rented Time Bandits on Blu Ray. What a freaking waste. The Blu-Ray transfer was one of the worst I have seen in recent times. A waste for me to rent it on Blu Ray. Had I looked at the tier thread, I would have likely seen that Bandits got a horrible score, and I wouldn't have wasted a BD rental on it. Just watch it on Netflix streaming instead. (Time Bandits the movie by the way, is one of my all-time favorite movies. Saw it as a little kid, and thought it was really cool, but it has aged pretty badly, but I'm just talking about picture and sound quality here...)

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord /forum/post/20234355

It can be done but like others pointed out, there are far more variables when it comes to 3D. Different styles of glasses, projection, LCD Plasma DLP TV's, "sweet spot", passive glasses, silver screen, SBS, Checkerboard, frame packed, 1080p vs 730p, etc.

With HD... it was much simpler comparing which format had the sharpest clearest image and even that is still debateable.

Then you have the fact that 2 people with identical systems watching the same movie will perceive it differently (1 sees great 3D, the other doesn't)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.