post #91 of 166 Old 06-25-2012, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

I love the AR Drone, such a cool little thing.
I love it too. I only wish it had a tiltable 3D camera onboard. I'll have to work on that.
Also, flying it and shooting it in 3D at the same time is tricky to say the least.biggrin.gif

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 166 Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Frank,

That copter was in my face with absolute clarity on my HT 110" screen. At the 1 and 3 minute marks there was no eye strain and I am impressed how much negative parallax you obtained with no visual "convergence pain". I use an Optoma DLP HD3300 and I could see the grains in the composite of the copter.

Nice work and keep producing!
post #93 of 166 Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStegin View Post

Frank,
That copter was in my face with absolute clarity on my HT 110" screen. At the 1 and 3 minute marks there was no eye strain and I am impressed how much negative parallax you obtained with no visual "convergence pain". I use an Optoma DLP HD3300 and I could see the grains in the composite of the copter.
Nice work and keep producing!
I'm really happy that you had such great results and thanks for the compliment.
I have noticed that the YouTube quality has improved lately and now I can hardly tell the difference between playing my local source file and playing the YouTube version.
Just out of curiosity I just uploaded an old video that I shot a couple of years ago in the new format I prefer which is 1080P60 top and bottom encoded in AVCHD format at 26 megabits per second and I'm amazed how good it looks now on YouTube....
Here's the link:
B24 bomber up close

post #94 of 166 Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Every morning, before work, people of all ages in Shenzhen dance to music, some with swords, paddles, and fans, in a public square.

Panasonic 3D1.

post #95 of 166 Old 06-29-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Frank great videos, you need a quadcopter! I'm looking into a few for taking 3D videos with. The AR Drone is to small and can't handle a 3D cam besides a bloggie.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #96 of 166 Old 06-30-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Frank great videos, you need a quadcopter! I'm looking into a few for taking 3D videos with. The AR Drone is to small and can't handle a 3D cam besides a bloggie.
Thanks.
The Parrot Drone generates a lot of thrust and I believe it actually is capable of lifting two pared down GoPro's with the 3D Hero interconnecting cable.
What I don't know is how it will effect the flight dynamics and flight time. The extended life batteries I got for it give it a full 20 minutes as it is.
A few experiments are in order and are on my long to do list.wink.gif

post #97 of 166 Old 06-30-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Update:

I just placed a single GoPro camera with Sunex lens on top of the Parrot Drone with double sided sticky tape and once I got the center of gravity correct it flew just fine.
I'm now quite sure I can disassemble two of them to reduce the total weight and get the 3D Hero to work.
A bit of work but fun for sure.
biggrin.gif

post #98 of 166 Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep me updated on how that works, if that works well it will save me some money! I'd buy the Parrot instead of wasting thousands on a quadcopter. Do you know of the Macgyver mod? This allows you to modify the drone so you can fly it via RC remote. It will allow you to fly farther and much higher.

My biggest concern with 2 Hero's is it may not be able to get enough lift and altitude.

Another problem is the jello effect which is caused by vibration. There are some people that designed Gopro holders that attach to the bottom and get rid of that.

This guy, https://vimeo.com/bo has some great videos flying the drone with GoPro.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #99 of 166 Old 07-02-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Keep me updated on how that works, if that works well it will save me some money! I'd buy the Parrot instead of wasting thousands on a quadcopter. Do you know of the Macgyver mod? This allows you to modify the drone so you can fly it via RC remote. It will allow you to fly farther and much higher.
My biggest concern with 2 Hero's is it may not be able to get enough lift and altitude.
Another problem is the jello effect which is caused by vibration. There are some people that designed Gopro holders that attach to the bottom and get rid of that.
This guy, https://vimeo.com/bo has some great videos flying the drone with GoPro.
I can make it work with two GoPro cameras if I remove the batteries and covers from them and power them from switching regulators off the Parrot Drone 11.1v battery. This will make it light enough and still give adequate flight time.
I don't have the time right now to design a mount for it but I think I will when I do get time.

post #100 of 166 Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a plan, hope it works as that would be pretty cool. It would be a cheap solution to get some aerial 3D video.

Some have used a Sony Bloggie but it seemed to blur.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #101 of 166 Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Another July 4th Fireworks Show in wide stereo base 3D using twin TD10's in 1080 60p (PS mode) paired in Vegas Pro and edited using the (Double NTSC) settings for maintaining 60p. After seeing the results here in full HD on the big screen my regrets are that I should have used my 1 meter wide stereo base rig. Oh well, next time. This shoot was mainly to try out shooting in full HD and 60p mode to study the motion smoothness of the fireworks compared to the 24p modes I had been using.

Don Landis
post #102 of 166 Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

My helicopter flight over Saga Japan. No editing, just the flight with good depth.

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #103 of 166 Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Most recent production is now up on my YT channel. It's the Valley of Fire a traditional documentary style covering the major features of the State Park. It is best viewed in 3D on a 3D TV in SBS half mode, or slightly less quality with 3D Row interleaved. I looked at it in anaglyph and was not impressed, probably due to the over all dominate red rocks not working well with red / cyan glasses.

Don Landis
post #104 of 166 Old 07-21-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm curious as to what the general consensus of that last video is. Sorry to pick on you, Don, you just happened to post a video that featured this.. lol.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of negative parallax (pop-out). The convergence on that video is pretty far away from the camera.. there's a couple shots of the road that show quite clearly that the convergence point is a good 15-20 feet away from the camera. It was actually throwing me off a little bit. For whatever reason, YouTube's interleaving is reversed from mine, so I have to hit the little "reverse left/right eyes" button on almost every video (not all, but most). And in this case, I actually had to do it several times to make sure I was seeing it properly because some objects still seemed a little "off".

I think one of the problems is that most of these shots don't have any particular focus. There's not an actor or object fairly close that the viewer can focus on. A lot of film directors will put the actor at screen depth, which can help focus the audiences attention, but that was missing in this case, and the convergence seemed almost random.. there really wasn't anything at that distance to lock onto.

Just personal preference, really. I prefer the "deep field" view, where my monitor is like a window into that world. While I don't mind occasional pop-out, I usually prefer it to be things that are actually closer to me than the screen (i.e. only a couple feet away, this is just a computer monitor). It's how I typically set convergence in the games I play in 3D.

But like I said, this isn't just me pissing about the video, I'm curious what others think about general convergence levels and what they prefer.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #105 of 166 Old 07-21-2012, 05:48 PM

Don,

I have been eagerly awaiting this production since viewing the preview short The depth and clarity of this YouTube download was as clean and clear as any YouTube video I have seen on my 8 foot screen (Optoma HD3300/SBS PDVD10) - I am excited and amazed. I applaud your experience and work. This has been the sharpest video of yours I have viewed from YouTube with nice clarity from miles away to my face.

I am now waiting for your "Hi-rez" download iso.

A few things I enjoyed:

The transitions from 2D to 3D for comparison, the PIPs , the audio (felt native and comforting), the incorporation of Google Earth into the story and I particularly like the scenes that include the paved road, it enhances scenery and color contrast for me.

For a 1080P mp4 with 5Mbps rate, this is a pleasant viewing - now off to see it on the passive Visio 32".
post #106 of 166 Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Just personal preference, really. I prefer the "deep field" view, where my monitor is like a window into that world.

Then, Jeff, you are going to like the next one much better as I shot it to create that particular look. While the Valley of Fire, is seen from the low angle level for real, and you look across a valley of 150' to 5 miles on many shots, or 50 ft to half mile. Bryce canyon is on a much larger scale. It's not the Grand Canyon but almost. In Bryce Canyon many of the near cliffs are at least a mile away and I shot mostly at 28" IA. Although there are a few places I could climb out on a point and shoot back on the rim where I used 8" IA mostly. Still, the image has good depth range but few shots are with a nearby ( 50 ft. distance) object, like a tall tree in the foreground. If you know the area you'd understand. It is shot from a trail that runs the very edge of a 2000' 90 degree, mostly, dropoff. Other locations the dropoff is more like 60°. I'm just about finished pairing over 130 clips and setting the adjustment keyframes and about 90% of the shots have no foreground popout. That doesn't mean the video will be absent of these shots as I have some close stuff of on the rim shots that were done with the single TD10 and several of these will have some negative parallax.

Don Landis
post #107 of 166 Old 07-23-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

JStegin:

I will PM you the link to download the iso. It's huge! smile.gif

Thanks for your kind words. I'm pleased you got some enjoyment over it.

Don Landis
post #108 of 166 Old 07-23-2012, 03:24 PM

Don,

Download and iso creation went smooth-I will try to watch this version this evening.

Thanks
post #109 of 166 Old 07-25-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Enjoy,

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

post #110 of 166 Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've seen the high rez version of Don's "Valley of Fire", loved it myself...
post #111 of 166 Old 07-30-2012, 01:03 AM

Liked: 11
icerat4, thank you for starting this thread. Sony HDR-TD10 is the product of the future. This is the one that I am looking for my 3D experiment.

This camera should be fine with any TV right? What I mean by that is when I record a short film/video using the Sony 3D cam, the video format should not be a problem regardless if I view it on LG Passive 3D or Sony/Samsung Active 3D TV?
post #112 of 166 Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing3DTVFan View Post

icerat4, thank you for starting this thread. Sony HDR-TD10 is the product of the future. This is the one that I am looking for my 3D experiment.
This camera should be fine with any TV right? What I mean by that is when I record a short film/video using the Sony 3D cam, the video format should not be a problem regardless if I view it on LG Passive 3D or Sony/Samsung Active 3D TV?
Should work fine, I've hooked to my Vizio 32" passive (camper / editing tv) and 65" Mits with no problems...
post #113 of 166 Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

I could say this project was over 10 years in the making with the first video shot in April 2000. It's all explained in the video.

If anyone here would like to download the iso file to burn a 3D BD, I can give you the link but I have to warn you the files are 6 GB so be prepared for a long download even with an extremely fast connect speed. Send me a PM and I will give you the link.

Don Landis
post #114 of 166 Old 08-13-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Getting caught up on my quickie videos. Here's one that required no editing.

Don Landis
post #115 of 166 Old 08-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

Parot Drone 2.0 quadrocopter

thats a very nice video. i wish my mcpx was that stable during a hover.
post #116 of 166 Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

I'm curious as to what the general consensus of that last video is. Sorry to pick on you, Don, you just happened to post a video that featured this.. lol.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of negative parallax (pop-out). The convergence on that video is pretty far away from the camera.. there's a couple shots of the road that show quite clearly that the convergence point is a good 15-20 feet away from the camera. It was actually throwing me off a little bit. For whatever reason, YouTube's interleaving is reversed from mine, so I have to hit the little "reverse left/right eyes" button on almost every video (not all, but most). And in this case, I actually had to do it several times to make sure I was seeing it properly because some objects still seemed a little "off".
I think one of the problems is that most of these shots don't have any particular focus. There's not an actor or object fairly close that the viewer can focus on. A lot of film directors will put the actor at screen depth, which can help focus the audiences attention, but that was missing in this case, and the convergence seemed almost random.. there really wasn't anything at that distance to lock onto.
Just personal preference, really. I prefer the "deep field" view, where my monitor is like a window into that world. While I don't mind occasional pop-out, I usually prefer it to be things that are actually closer to me than the screen (i.e. only a couple feet away, this is just a computer monitor). It's how I typically set convergence in the games I play in 3D.
But like I said, this isn't just me pissing about the video, I'm curious what others think about general convergence levels and what they prefer.

Trying to do some catchup work this week on older posts with comments.

First, I want to thank you for your specific observations. They mean a lot to me as I'm trying to learn what works best.

On row interleave viewing the left right is confusing. Even using my Vegas Preview on secondary monitor set for Line interleave, I have to swap the left and right for full screen viewing. I maintain the standard on the timeline of left cam on the left or top timeline when pairing. This keeps the SBS rendering consistent. I don't think this is a YT issue but rather how the TV's work.

The focus on an actor is an interesting observation. It seems to me that we all get used to a common requirement in presentations of 3D from Hollywood's dramatic stories about people, machines, single plants and animals and when there is a departure, it can be cause for viewer contusion. Those deep shots that begin in negative parallax and extend to well beyond the depth of the screen do not have any particular visual actor or focus. These I try to set the screen frame about center. Then when I view my screen my vision tends to wander rather than focus on everything at once. This dictates that I keep the scene on longer than normal to give the viewer that opportunity to scan around visually. But, not too long or too many shots adjacent to prevent boredom or eye fatigue. In a video like these desert shots and over water shots, these scenes are necessary to relate the story or the mood of how it does really look, being there. In a story like Bryce Canyon, there is very little that comes up to you because the long shots begin hundreds even thousands of feet away up to several miles, often 50+ miles! Here negative parallax becomes the exception in shots with no "actor" to focus on. Mostly Bryce Canyon views are through a window to the world of Bryce. Sometimes something pop's through the window.

When it comes to convergence preference, I prefer to let the story dictate where it is. As a story writer and as an editor, I do not want to set a rule to follow when in a creative session. To me Story is first and then comes shot picks that best tell that story. I trust the viewer will figure out the story and how to watch it. I don't try to set a goal to make all my work the same and don't want to be stereotyped to a collections of rules for my art. It is what it is and sometimes it is appreciated by more than at other times.

Don Landis
post #117 of 166 Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM

I remember that my digital camera can also shut 3D video, it's sony.
post #118 of 166 Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi this is my first 3D video that I posted to youtube. It was on holiday in Las Vegas in June this year. I made it with the cheap (£50) Aiptek 3d camcorder from Maplin UK. Its only 720p but it gives me a better feeling of being there than my 1080p videos do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRkfuZ539Zk&feature=plcp

I hope you enjoy it.
post #119 of 166 Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow!!! I wish I could aford one of these baby's. ;0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egB-AQY05Dc
post #120 of 166 Old 10-16-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

All info is in the video, enjoy smile.gif

3D items I own:

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Fujifilm W3

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Sony , Sanyo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page