Titanic 3D - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 314 Old 02-22-2012, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
All I can say is that thankfully not all very wealthy and powerfull people are as small minded as your dates Grandmother. If they were Prince William would never have been allowed to marry Kate Middleton!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 314 Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

All I can say is that thankfully not all very wealthy and powerfull people are as small minded as your dates Grandmother. If they were Prince William would never have been allowed to marry Kate Middleton!

Thank Goodness. My life would not be the same if that hadn't happened
post #123 of 314 Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 92
On topic though, I'm getting excited for this movie. I don't know why, but the whole Titanic thing has always interested me
post #124 of 314 Old 02-22-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes. Sorry about the tangent. Very excited to see it on the big screen again
post #125 of 314 Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah. One thing about Cameron, he's going to do this right. The trailer looked awesome
post #126 of 314 Old 03-24-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder if this will have varying aspect ratios depending on 3-D vs IMAX 3-D? I know Cameron has done this before and even his FS titanic VHS wasn't simply panned and scanned but opened up on the top.
post #127 of 314 Old 03-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddster25 View Post

Is it really necessary for Titanic to be remade in 3D? I'm doubtful that 3D would add anything to the story and would end up being nothing more than an unnecessary gimmick in this case.

Right... I enjoyed Titanic and I am a fan of good 3D, but I'd have to agree that it sounds rather unnecessary. Of course, Cameron is pretty good with 3D so maybe it will be better than anticipated. Still, I'm not going to the theater to see it and won't be doing a pre-order for the blu-ray, either. It's doubtful that this will ever be added to my video library.

oz
post #128 of 314 Old 03-24-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Right... I enjoyed Titanic and I am a fan of good 3D, but I'd have to agree that it sounds rather unnecessary. Of course, Cameron is pretty good with 3D so maybe it will be better than anticipated. Still, I'm not going to the theater to see it and won't be doing a pre-order for the blu-ray, either. It's doubtful that this will ever be added to my video library.

Adventure, action, beauty, massive scale- it's great for 3D imo

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #129 of 314 Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Adventure, action, beauty, massive scale- it's great for 3D imo

Couldn't agree more
post #130 of 314 Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I plan to do both; see it in IMAX 3D at the theater and pre-order the movie(3D).
post #131 of 314 Old 03-30-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

I wonder if this will have varying aspect ratios depending on 3-D vs IMAX 3-D? I know Cameron has done this before and even his FS titanic VHS wasn't simply panned and scanned but opened up on the top.

Good question. A taller version just for IMAX would be a sensational experience. I'm going to see it at the BFI IMAX in London, I hope that they don't crop the sides like they did with Phantom Menace 3D.
post #132 of 314 Old 03-30-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Good question. A taller version just for IMAX would be a sensational experience. I'm going to see it at the BFI IMAX in London, I hope that they don't crop the sides like they did with Phantom Menace 3D.

When it was released on FS VHS, it wasn't just panned and scanned but opened up for height. Both ARs were approved by Cameron. I think AVATAR had two ARs too
post #133 of 314 Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Cameron's been producing meticulously reframed 4:3 versions of his Super 35 movies for years, Dave. Titanic merely followed in the footsteps of Abyss, T2 and True Lies. I even bought the 4:3 DVD of Abyss because the non-anamorphic widescreen version is painful to watch when zoomed in on a large 16:9 set.

As for Avatar, it was shot 1.78 but framed for 2.35, and this is especially obvious in the live-action scenes which have far too much headroom for my liking. But JC wants it in 1.78 for home video, so that's what he gets.

There have been a few clips of Titanic on TV because of the 3D premiere, and sadly they have the fashionable teal tinge to them. Looks like Cameron graded the film again for the 3D edition (producer Jon Landau going so far as to call it their "archival" version), which is a shame as I liked the look of the film before.
post #134 of 314 Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Weird. The preview I saw in the theater here looked like it had the exact same timing as the last dvd
post #135 of 314 Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 394
The last DVD edition of Titanic was also teal-ified.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #136 of 314 Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Holy hell, you're right

http://caps-a-holic.com/vergleich.ph...370#mag_iframe

I haven't watched the original DVD in so many years...
post #137 of 314 Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The last DVD edition of Titanic was also teal-ified.

Ah, so it was. Looks like Cameron was ahead of the curve. It's also been years since I've seen it, and I've got the colours of the Laserdisc version burned into my brain after watching it so many times.
post #138 of 314 Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

2 of my friends are at the special early screening tonight and they got a lithograph and special glasses. I'm home with the kid. Jealous
LL
post #139 of 314 Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Ah, so it was. Looks like Cameron was ahead of the curve.

The last DVD edition (the one I was referring to) was released in late 2005, which was well into the teal era. I've recently stumbled across TV broadcasts of the movie (ABC Family, I think?) that were very teal and clearly came from that DVD master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Holy hell, you're right

http://caps-a-holic.com/vergleich.ph...370#mag_iframe

That first mouseover comparison is pretty damning, isn't it?

Josh Z

post #140 of 314 Old 04-04-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
They took the time to really polish the conversion so that there weren't any of the typical signs, like halos around objects or in between strands of hair, or stretched and distorted facial features.

I was going into this movie expecting 2.9D or whatever. It actually hit that mark but that just means it looks like natively shot 3D, not necessarily good 3D. Most of the movie was REALLY good looking. The only thing I would have knocked points off for aside from the occasionally poor fit for 3D shots that were conceived in 2D, is that some of the ship's exterior shots were hit and miss in terms of enhancing the depth and scale. It was good otherwise in terms of strong depth, something that Deathly Hallows Part 2 lacked in a major way, and I see filmmakers praising that movie all the time for some odd reason.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #141 of 314 Old 04-04-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The 3D trailer is up on Samsung's Explore 3D app. While I have no interest in the movie, the 3D conversion is really well done if the trailer is anything to go by. There's a nice sense of depth and separation of layers and even a hint of pop-out with water gushing towards the screen. I'll give Cameron props for at least creating a 3D conversion which appears to actually make use of the technology; George Lucas could learn a thing or two.
post #142 of 314 Old 04-04-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Regarding Deathly Hallows Pt2 the best or "only good" 3D scene was of them fleeing the burning library.

Anyway, I just returned from Titanic in IMAX. I know I'll be seeing both IMAX and RealD several times in the coming weeks. IMAX won out today because it started an hour later then the RealD screen and it was a busy day at work. I use a senior discount so cost is not an issue.

I intentionally haven't watched this movie for a year or so, ever since the 3D version was rumored. The theater was about 1/3 full, but with quite a few youngsters who had obviously never seen this movie (they snickered at some of the lines that many of us have memorized by now). The 3D conversion was very good. It did not come off as well as, say HUGO (shot native 3d), but it was very transparent and throughout most of the movie you're not aware that you're watching 3D... what I mean is, there are a few scenes that "jump out at you" but for most of the film it is very natural looking and appears that it just had been made that way.

I'm looking forward to seeing the RealD 3D version next week. I know that IMAX and RealD differ in that IMAX has background scenery with characters and objects appearing in the foreground, whereas RealD has depth that looks more realistic with true perspective depth. But the IMAX big screen really puts you into the movie. I think that the RealD will be more of a widescreen experience that wraps around you.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #143 of 314 Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 516
I watched Cameron's refurbished Titanic in 3D IMAX today and was underwhelmed. The 3D gave me a headache and all I got out of it was an occasional view of objects, seemingly, passing right in front of my eyes. I think I would have enjoyed the presentation more if I had seen the 2D version with the same audio track in the same state of the art digital IMAX theater, the Moore Warren in Moore, OK, where I watched the 3D version. I thought Cameron wasted a lot of time, effort, and money, on what turned out to be not much.

I have watched quite a number of 3D IMAX films over the last couple of years and still think the only one that was truly successful was Cameron's Avatar. For me at least, 3D presentations don't work unless they were filmed in 3D using IMAX cameras.
post #144 of 314 Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 PM

Liked: 12
What's funny is how I didn't really notice the "strobing" effect of 24 fps 3d when I saw Avatar in real-d (all three times! Twice in single-projector 16:9, once in dual-projector scope, same theater different auditoriums). The natively-shot Tron: Legacy was my next experience with live-action 3d, but that was front section IMAX so I didn't exactly get the ideal experience. Finally, I saw the natively-shot On Stranger Tides in IMAX but with good seats. Wow, my friend and I were blown away by the 3d.....

.... but this was when I finally noticed what Cameron was talking about with the limitations of 24p photography. That early scene in the courthouse still comes to mind. It was like I was actually on the set. But whenever I moved my eyes, the illusion was broken. Maybe it's because the IMAX blow-up process makes everything bigger than it was actually shot for, so the 3d doesn't fool your eyes as much as when you're looking at it regular-sized.
post #145 of 314 Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I watched Cameron's refurbished Titanic in 3D IMAX today and was underwhelmed. The 3D gave me a headache and all I got out of it was an occasional view of objects, seemingly, passing right in front of my eyes. I think I would have enjoyed the presentation more if I had seen the 2D version with the same audio track in the same state of the art digital IMAX theater, the Moore Warren in Moore, OK, where I watched the 3D version. I thought Cameron wasted a lot of time, effort, and money, on what turned out to be not much.

I have watched quite a number of 3D IMAX films over the last couple of years and still think the only one that was truly successful was Cameron's Avatar. For me at least, 3D presentations don't work unless they were filmed in 3D using IMAX cameras.

Ha. Kinda goes back to my original point when I started this thread. This is what I suspected all along.
post #146 of 314 Old 04-05-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddster25 View Post

Ha. Kinda goes back to my original point when I started this thread. This is what I suspected all along.

Yeah, my bad experience with Titanic 3D at the Moore Warren IMAX yesterday convinced me that I am through with 3D films that aren't shot using 3D cameras. The jury is still out on IMAX generally, though.

The Moore Warren IMAX has the biggest digital IMAX screen in the country and is wildly popular. Nevertheless, I have decided to be far more selective about picking the movies I see there than I was when it first opened. The Moore Warren is a 30 minute drive and its tickets are more than 2.5 times more expensive than tickets for 2D films at a nice cineplex that is less than 10 minutes away. I suspect that it will be a looong time before I take the time and go to the expense of seeing another IMAX film of any sort.
post #147 of 314 Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Avatar was shot in 2k digital, not IMAX.

Josh Z

post #148 of 314 Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Yeah, my bad experience with Titanic 3D at the Moore Warren IMAX yesterday convinced me that I am through with 3D films that aren't shot using 3D cameras.... The Moore Warren IMAX has the biggest digital IMAX screen in the country and is wildly popular....

Hmm... sorry, I've never heard of it. And I'm sorry you did not enjoy the movie. Personally I've had nothing but good experiences with IMAX.

Quote:

Nevertheless, I have decided to be far more selective about picking the movies I see there than I was when it first opened. The Moore Warren is a 30 minute drive and its tickets are more than 2.5 times more expensive than tickets for 2D films at a nice cineplex that is less than 10 minutes away. I suspect that it will be a looong time before I take the time and go to the expense of seeing another IMAX film of any sort.

Our IMAX is on the way to and from work... I drive right by there, and on evenings when my wife is working late I stop in and enjoy a first run IMAX movie for five to seven dollars, depending on the day of the week and whether I'm seeing a matinee or using a senior discount.

Reshooting Titanic using 3D cameras was not an option. Frankly, this is the best I have ever seen it.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #149 of 314 Old 04-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Will this come out on Bluray 3D later? Based on reviews I think I'll just stick to watching the 3D version at home and since I don't have a copy of Titanic movie at home anyway, so this might as well be my first Titanic movie purchase for home viewing.
post #150 of 314 Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

Will this come out on Bluray 3D later? Based on reviews I think I'll just stick to watching the 3D version at home and since I don't have a copy of Titanic movie at home anyway, so this might as well be my first Titanic movie purchase for home viewing.

I'm in the same boat...no pun intended! LOL
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Titanic Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page