3D POP out Question - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 215 Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hands down for me is Journey to the Center of the Earth. It had more in your face 3-D than anything I have yet to see. This is a good thing, because the movie could not stand on its own merits with out the effect. The sound was top notch also.
I wish more 3-D could be like this. This is what I think of when some one mentions 3-D. The rest is OK to look at but I would rather watch the 2-D version of a lot of movies. Journey is definetly a demo disc for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 215 Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's a good demo disc for 3D when you have friends over that have never seen 3D and want to see some and you don't want to swap out multi discs and cue up particular scenes of each.
post #63 of 215 Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

It's a good demo disc for 3D when you have friends over that have never seen 3D and want to see some and you don't want to swap out multi discs and cue up particular scenes of each.

Come again!?
post #64 of 215 Old 02-20-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I just saw Journey 2 and the 3D was ok. It had some pop out moments but the story, acting, dialogue and direction I found very lacking. I won't be buying the BD.
post #65 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2D3D View Post

Come again!?

People looking for 3D generally want to see pop out [IN MY EXPERIENCE DEALING WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS I KNOW OF AND NOT THOSE I DON'T KNOW ABOUT; THIS ALSO EXCLUDES PEOPLE WHO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT 3D, HOME THEATER AND/OR DON'T CARE ABOUT IT WHATSOEVER]. To show them what they want [THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS I KNOW], I usually have multiple titles/discs ready with one or two scenes on each one [THAT IS EACH DISC MAY HAVE JUST 1 OR 2 SCENES OF POP-OUT ON IT REQUIRING MULTIPLE DISCS TO SHOW DIFFERENT SCENES WITH A TOTAL OF MORE THAT 2 OVERALL]. A disc like Journey to the Center of the Earth has multiple pop out scenes through out the movie. It's not the greatest movie (I don't personally hate it or anything that extreme though) but it's easier to skip to each pop out scene and just let the disc play through [ABLE TO SHOW MULTIPLE SCENES OF POP OUT JUST BY SKIPPING OR FAST FORWARDING WITHOUT EVER SWAPPING A DISC].

Hopefully less puzzled now? This isn't the Rocket Science Forums.
post #66 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:

People looking for 3D generally want to see pop out. To show them what they want, I usually have multiple titles/discs ready with one or two scenes on each one. A disc like Journey to the Center of the Earth has multiple pop out scenes through out the movie. It's not the greatest movie (I don't personally hate it or anything that extreme though) but it's easier to skip to each pop out scene and just let the disc play through.

Hopefully less puzzled now? This isn't the Rocket Science Forums.

Well your post didnt mention a specific movie , nor did you quote someone to indicate that you were talking about disc you use to demo, so reading your post as standalone as it is, in an open topic thread about 3D popouts would be a bit confusing unless of course one can read anothers mind
post #67 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 AM

Liked: 48
Quote:

People looking for 3D generally want to see pop out.

That may be your experience but everybody I have demo'd 3D too hasn't had any expectations one way or the other and were just as impressed with depth as pop out.
post #68 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2D3D View Post

Well your post didnt mention a specific movie , nor did you quote someone to indicate that you were talking about disc you use to demo, so reading your post as standalone as it is, in an open topic thread about 3D popouts would be a bit confusing unless of course one can read anothers mind

Or just let is stand on its own merit without comment.

"It's a good demo disc..." was referring to the post above it: AKA Journey to the Center of the Earth.
post #69 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

That may be your experience but everybody I have demo'd 3D too hasn't had any expectations one way or the other and were just as impressed with depth as pop out.

Everyone I've been asked to show 3D (family and friends) must have been taken in by the print and tv media's advertising of 3D as not just leaping OFF the screen but OUT of the screen as well. Advertising doesn't show the depth INTO the screen much if at all. They could but choose not to: trading flash/wow for realism.
post #70 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Or just let is stand on its own merit without comment.

"It's a good demo disc..." was referring to the post above it: AKA Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Well with so many posts under your belt , you'd think you would know how to quote :P lol all good bro
post #71 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, it's preferred to answer post immediately above with a follow up post and not to use quotes.
post #72 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Actually, it's preferred to answer post immediately above with a follow up post and not to use quotes.

...according to who exactly?
post #73 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Yes boss!
post #74 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mr. common sense and his wife duh.

All the posters in all the threads that haven't used quotes in a post past the first one. There's quite a few though I haven't counted them or anything.

Quotes are great when you are responding to a post on a previous page or to more than one person though.
post #75 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Mr. common sense and his wife duh.

All the posters in all the threads that haven't used quotes in a post past the first one. There's quite a few though I haven't counted them or anything.

Quotes are great when you are responding to a post on a previous page or to more than one person though.

Quotes are also great when you wanna add something to what someone said. I have never thought that a post without any quotes is a direct response to whats above that post, cause sometimes when you post that to whomever posted above you, someone else might post something else between.

Example, your stand alone post was about Journey. However during the time you were typing yours, if someone else wouldve posted something about another 3D movie, then your post all of sudden seemed like its about the other movie. Quotes are great , use them man ! theyre free
post #76 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 04:45 PM

As far back as the 50's when people went to see 3D movies at the theater, they did so for the fun and excitement of something poping out of the screen and into their face. It caused them to duck, scream, jump out of their seat but most importantly, it was fun.

Flash forward to today. We have advanced technology and can have our own 3D theaters in our homes. BUT...we want good 3D movies! Nobody cares about depth. Yes, it's nice but most people want in your face 3D. Watching a 3D movie should, for the most part, take place outside of your TV screen and in your living room. Isn't that what 3D stands for, a third dimension. A dimension that extends beyond the TV and into your living room.

Only a handful of movies at this point can do that. Sammy's Adventure does it best, in my opinion.

So, to the movie studios: make 3D fun and exciting. We don't need conversions of old titles that will never look that good anyway. We want the reason for buying a 3D TV. The 3rd dimension. the out of the screen and in your living room experience. Depth is nice but it is NOT 3D.
post #77 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

As far back as the 50's when people went to see 3D movies at the theater, they did so for the fun and excitement of something poping out of the screen and into their face. It caused them to duck, scream, jump out of their seat but most importantly, it was fun.

Flash forward to today. We have advanced technology and can have our own 3D theaters in our homes. BUT...we want good 3D movies! Nobody cares about depth. Yes, it's nice but most people want in your face 3D. Watching a 3D movie should, for the most part, take place outside of your TV screen and in your living room. Isn't that what 3D stands for, a third dimension. A dimension that extends beyond the TV and into your living room.

Only a handful of movies at this point can do that. Sammy's Adventure does it best, in my opinion.

So, to the movie studios: make 3D fun and exciting. We don't need conversions of old titles that will never look that good anyway. We want the reason for buying a 3D TV. The 3rd dimension. the out of the screen and in your living room experience. Depth is nice but it is NOT 3D.

post #78 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 05:26 PM

To further add confusion and dissapointment to the consumer, let's take the manufacturer's 3D TV ads. I've posted a few of them below. Every one of them shows a picture expanding beyond the screen. But in reality, that is not usually what you're going to get with the majority of the current crop of 3D movies. So, the customer doesn't really see what's being advertised on their sets like they thought they'd get in the picture and they certainly not going to spend 30 to 40 dollars of more for a 3D movie that falls short and doesn't live up to all the hoopla. So, 3D could fail unless studios start releasing quality out of the TV and in your Living Room 3D movies and at reasonable prices.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #79 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM

Anyone see how Disney does 3D at their parks like "It's tough to be a bug" or "Mickey's philharmagic" among many others. The pop out is amazing - inches from your face.... These 3d attractions are getting old, but I have yet to experience anything like it at home or at the movie theater.
post #80 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddgabweg View Post

Anyone see how Disney does 3D at their parks like "It's tough to be a bug" or "Mickey's philharmagic" among many others. The pop out is amazing - inches from your face.... These 3d attractions are getting old, but I have yet to experience anything like it at home or at the movie theater.

I'm sure it looks amazing. I feel if you can't do it right, don't do it all. If home 3D is not going to offer the knock your socks off experience, people are NOT going to buy into it this time. And so far, it has not quite been, knock your socks off. Yes, there are one or two movies that look incredible but that's not going to cut it. EVERY ONE must look incredible for this to be accepted by the masses and succeed.
post #81 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I still feel one of the best 3D demo discs is Yogi Bear. It's a bad movie on its own but the depth and pop out are both very well done if you can take the movie on those merits alone. Otherwise it's just a bad movie (even if my 7 & 5 year old liked it).

I can't wait to see how Hugo is though.

~Bill
post #82 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

I still feel one of the best 3D demo discs is Yogi Bear. It's a bad movie on its own but the depth and pop out are both very well done if you can take the movie on those merits alone. Otherwise it's just a bad movie (even if my 7 & 5 year old liked it).

I can't wait to see how Hugo is though.

Yogi has tons of depth. But only real popout is the nacho chips scene.
post #83 of 215 Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The fireworks scene is good too. Most 3D movies I've seen only have a handful of good pop out anyway. Yogi has god depth throughout plus a couple of exceptional pop out scenes. IMAX under the sea is good as well - Kung Fu Panda 2 also.

~Bill
post #84 of 215 Old 02-22-2012, 03:14 AM

Liked: 48
Quote:

Everyone I've been asked to show 3D (family and friends) must have been taken in by the print and tv media's advertising of 3D as not just leaping OFF the screen but OUT of the screen as well. Advertising doesn't show the depth INTO the screen much if at all. They could but choose not to: trading flash/wow for realism.

Yeah, that is true, the ads do tend to show people and objects leaping off the screen. I think they give people a somewhat misguided idea of what 3D is really alkl about though.
post #85 of 215 Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

I agree with most posts. I guess when I think 3-D, I think pop-out not depth. If there is nothing making me duck or dodge, I would probably enjoy the 2-D version. Seeing Captain America in both versions for example. I would prefer the 2-D. 3-D didn't add enough for me want to switch versions.
post #86 of 215 Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Some movie theaters are huge enough to pop out a platoon of tanks. What would that look like at home though? I haven't seen enough popout to know. Tiny tanks? Or small and far away, but still pop'ed out?
post #87 of 215 Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post

Seeing Captain America in both versions for example. I would prefer the 2-D. 3-D didn't add enough for me want to switch versions.

Captain America was a conversion. Taking that into consideration, I would agree. 2D is preferable to a conversion. People talk about "good" conversions, but I've yet to see one I would call good.

post #88 of 215 Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddgabweg View Post

I totally agree about Disney's 3D presentations, pretty incredible. Universal Studios amusement park has also has had some really good 3D presentations. So what is the chance any of these could be released on 3D BluRay?

I would pay good money for a 3D BluRay demo disc that had scenes of amazing 3D popout like is shown on Disneyland, Universal Studios, etc.
post #89 of 215 Old 02-24-2012, 03:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 106
As a shooter of 3D, producing the desired "popout" effect is pretty easy if you know the process. The trick is to increase inter axial lens separation and then zoom in. The increased IA will add z depth range to the scene and the zoom in on an object will pull the object toward the viewer.

So many today use fixed IA camcorders and film rigs for production so to produce a popout becomes a bit more difficult as you have lost your control to vary the Z depth. It still can be achieved but a bit more difficult and the flexibility is not as great. With fixed IA camcorder, the popout is done by controlling the camera to subject distance and zooming in but then the objects look flat and take on that cardboard cutout look. Focus becomes a problem in this case and shooting in very bright light with stopped down lens helps. Photographers will understand this.

So, with this understanding of HOW it's done and equipped with the knowledge of how a movie is shot, don't expect too much popout when the film is made with fixed IA film rigs such as IMAX 3D cameras. You can anticipate better popout when the film is made using SBS or over/under twin cameras where the IA can be varied as the director desires for controlling the Z depth range.
post #90 of 215 Old 02-24-2012, 03:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

To further add confusion and dissapointment to the consumer, let's take the manufacturer's 3D TV ads. I've posted a few of them below. Every one of them shows a picture expanding beyond the screen. But in reality, that is not usually what you're going to get with the majority of the current crop of 3D movies. So, the customer doesn't really see what's being advertised on their sets like they thought they'd get in the picture and they certainly not going to spend 30 to 40 dollars of more for a 3D movie that falls short and doesn't live up to all the hoopla. So, 3D could fail unless studios start releasing quality out of the TV and in your Living Room 3D movies and at reasonable prices.

Well, we'll just have to consider this artistic license.
The fact is there will never be an image that pops beyond the frustum of the pyramid from the borders of the screen to your eyes. It will be cut off. I don't sell 3D TV's so I don't know what sort of trouble the sales people have explaining the scientific impossibility of the ad. However, I suspect this isn't a real problem or ad people would stop doing it. It's one of those illusions in advertising that gets people fired up of the concept and then it's the present content that needs to keep them excited. That content must always place a good story as top priority, a good quality production and acting second, and last good 3D production technicals. Way off in the distance might be the gimmicks but novelty soon wears off. People will need those initial fundamentals of entertainment to keep holding their interest, story, acting, and technical quality.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page