3D POP out Question - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 215 Old 05-06-2013, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been posted, but if you want to experience some extreme pop out check out this guy's channel on youtube through a Smart TV. I have never seen home 3D this 'in your face' before on my LG 47LM7600.. More than Sammy, more than the potato cod etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/1tompo1/videos

This one is wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUTI713EDq8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 215 Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Thanks! but this is a NON US version I dont think it will work on my Blu-Ray player.
post #183 of 215 Old 10-19-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
The formula for positioning an object in the z axis doesn't change based on how big the screen is or how close you sit to a screen.
No, but the 3D viewing experience does. Ideally a 3D scene will be shot with a stereo camera and that camera will be placed at a specific distance from the objects being focused and converged on. That is the same virtual distance the viewer has to sit away from the screen if they want to recapture the original experience (adjusting the distance for screen size, of course).

Think about it: when an object is closer to you than infinity and your eyes rotate inward toward the center of your body to point at the object, each eye gets an exact amount of extra information from the corresponding side of the object. When the object is very close to you, you can see a lot of its lateral surfaces; when it's very far, you can see very little of its lateral surfaces; when it's at infinity, you don't see any lateral surface, you just see an identical image of the frontal surface with both eyes. So once the image has been recorded from a specific distance and with a specific convergence, the assumption of how close the viewer is supposed to be to the object in focus is already embedded into it. If you violate this assumption by sitting too close or too far away from the screen, you will distort your 3D experience.

* If you're very close to the screen, your eyes are focusing at a very short distance and your brain expects to see a lot of lateral surface on the objects with each eye. Instead, it only gets as much lateral information as was put in the movie, which is too little => you get the feeling that the objects are too shallow, like they're all just cardboard cutouts parading in front of you at slightly different depths. (This was my experience the first time I saw "Avatar" from a 3rd-row seat and it made me think about why that was and realize what I'm explaining here - that there is always going to be a viewing distance problem with 3D movies.)

* If you're very far from the screen, your eyes are focusing at a long distance, your brain expects much less lateral surface information from the objects than it's getting => the objects look too deep (and "pop-outs" are exaggerated as well) - the 3D experience is distorted again.

This is why I always look to get cinema seats at the exact center of the room (and, of course, hope and pray that that particular movie's producers have done their math correctly to make sure the viewing "sweet spot" is indeed placed at the center of the room).
post #184 of 215 Old 10-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16

I believe linear perspective is the main component behind how the amount of perceived depth changes as one shifts viewing distance from the screen and is one of the main reasons 3D in movies doesn't often feel quite perfect, like a window. In Gravity, Sandra Bullock had many many close up shots of her face. So close, that if it were in person you could kiss her. But her position on the 3rd axis was basically screen depth, telling the brain that she has one enormous head or at least conflicting with what it knows about reality and not "feeling" right.

I do think close-up shots are important for making things more personal and intimate, as i learned while playing with different FOV settings using auxiliary mouse buttons in the game Mass Effect, but I don't think close up shots are ever going to feel quite perfect, but i don't think they need to.

I'd love to see full time pop-out, with subject matter being right in front of you but with close ups being so frequently used I think it may be awhile before that happens. I think it would be fine to switch between full time pop-out -- making the environment look laid out in front of you with characters looking life sized and matching their FOVs -- and more personal/character camera focusing (aka zoomed in).
post #185 of 215 Old 12-19-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeme111 View Post

Sorry if this has been posted, but if you want to experience some extreme pop out check out this guy's channel on youtube through a Smart TV. I have never seen home 3D this 'in your face' before on my LG 47LM7600.. More than Sammy, more than the potato cod etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/1tompo1/videos

This one is wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUTI713EDq8

I am so happy I found this thread because the issue of 'to see or not to see 'pop out' is ongoing and incredibly frustrating. I have been testing and experimenting for almost 2 years with my set up (all negative results)

The Youtube link you provided + the famous 'potato cod' scene are still to this day the only '3D Pop Out' that works for me. This type of pop out is so far out of the screen it's in the middle of the lounge room.

Every (cant say this enough EVERY) and I mean EVERY 3D Bluray I have watched does not pop out of the screen to the extent of the Youtube guy or potato cod.

WHY ???????????????

Why do 2 clips that have both been downloaded from Youtube work perfectly but every single Bluray does not work. There is depth, really good depth and there is minor pop out, almost to the point where you wouldn't say pop out, just nudging the screen slightly out a bit.

I thought it was my TV but those 2 clips work perfectly. Could my HDMI ports be faulty (backwards or something). Blurays have been played on PS3 and Tohiba bluray player - no pop out on either.

It's incredibly frustrating and makes me angry that it does not work.
post #186 of 215 Old 12-20-2013, 02:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Noobytwo1-

It may just be the titles you are watching. Many 3D stereographers choose to aviod "pop out" due to it often being considered gimickry. Or, gratuitous effect.

I don't believe in that social restriction to my shooting. If I see something that looks like it needs to be in front of the screen plane in an extreme amount I will place it there in my shooting. On my YT channel I have a number of extreme popout content such as a Moray Eel in the Sea World documentary. Others like, the Bellagio Gardens video I recently uploaded shows a full range of depth, including some macro shots of very colorful flowers that are right in the middle of your room. Note that full range of depth requires such extreme visual work that it can get very tiring for many people. Some can't even focus on it and don't like it. This is why extremes in depth is not held for long as the directors do not want to put a majority of their audiences in pain.

There are plenty of full range depth 3D movies on Blu Ray too. Check out the IMAX 3D on the Space Station. Spy Kids / Shark Boy and Lava Girl, Smurfs 2 and many others. While there are many titles that are 100% behind the screen plane, I don't know of any tjhat are 100% in front of the screen plane as this technique is considered a gimmick and also a source of eye strain for long periods of time.

It also has to be considered that the objects that do appear in front of the screen are limited in dimension as they can look strange if cut off by the frustum of the pyramid of viewing of 3D stereography.
post #187 of 215 Old 12-20-2013, 04:08 AM

The titles I have looked at are ones that have Pop out. It's difficult because you are relying on someone opinion as to what pop out is and to what degree does the image come out of your screen.

My example is Sammys Adventures: A turtles tale. This seems to be universally agreed that it is in the middle of your room due to extreme pop out. On top of this I have the fact that when those scenes occur in the film there is a straining of the eyes and what I assume is crosstalk. It's like they are supposed to happen but cant.
But I also have my ever reliable potato cod and the Youtube channel mentioned in previous posts. They both work perfectly and are both from youtube. I have even read a post about a guy who watched the potato cod scene in the LG Demo and then went and bought the Imax under the sea bluray and the pop out did not work.

It's endlessly frustrating.

I reset my TV back to factory defaults tonight just so I could have another way to come at it.

For arguments sake lets say that Sammys Adventure does have pop out that ends up in the middle of the room. Now lets also say my TV is capable of producing that effect. What is the deciding factor (or factors) in my setup that wont let that pop out effect occur ?
post #188 of 215 Old 12-20-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
For arguments sake lets say that Sammys Adventure does have pop out that ends up in the middle of the room. Now lets also say my TV is capable of producing that effect. What is the deciding factor (or factors) in my setup that wont let that pop out effect occur ?

If I understand the question, you want to know if there is a setting that is preventing that particular title from producing extreme negative parallax.

1. aside from being blind in one eye, the limit may be in an adjustment. In my 3D projector, I have a setting that allows one to squeeze the depth spread with a default of zero and ranges of plus and minus. These settings are separate and can be different between between a SBSh mode and frame packed. Since you mention good depth on YT then maybe your frame packing depth range adjustment is set differently as YT only offers a SBS mode while the disk is frame packed and handled differently in your projector.

For a test, I pulled extreme negative parallax in a macro shot of some flowers at about 11:20 in my Bellagio Gardens video on my YT channel. It is the featured title when you go to the page. Scan ahead and let me know if that produces the kind of "pop out" you seek. When I shot that, I set the convergence to absolute maximum before it would not converge. The flower sits in the middle of my room while the borders extend to well behind the screen.
post #189 of 215 Old 12-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

For a test, I pulled extreme negative parallax in a macro shot of some flowers at about 11:20 in my Bellagio Gardens video on my YT channel. It is the featured title when you go to the page. Scan ahead and let me know if that produces the kind of "pop out" you seek. When I shot that, I set the convergence to absolute maximum before it would not converge. The flower sits in the middle of my room while the borders extend to well behind the screen.

I cant get your clip to work. I downloaded it but the image does not line up properly so it has massive crosstalk. On Youtube there are no 3D options either so I cant watch it directly on the TV.

Do you have any suggestions. I would like to watch this because it at least gives me a starting point to try and figure out my problem.
post #190 of 215 Old 12-20-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

I wonder exactly what equipment, the chain from internet to your screen that you are using. Something really does seem out of adjustment with your system.

Another thing I would like you to verify is do you have your TV set for "simulated 3D"? Everything you describe sounds lke you have some TV settings completely wrong.

Also, I have to say that You Tube has some issues they generated with their latest update for watching on computer screens, not on YT apps on PS3 or my WDTV Live box which display normally. The Computer browsers, Firefox, IE, and Safari all suffer from loss of the 3D options on the featured program and suffer small reduced screen size on 3D SBS uploads but offer the 3D options. This problem has been sent in to their tech support. To put YT back to full screen, you need to now be running HTML5 stereo and select that to expand to full screen. Regardless of the YT bugs that surfaced just a couple weeks ago, you seem to have some 3D display problems yourself. I get frustrated with the geeks at Google constantly changing the fundamental technology on my YT channel and never telling me about it. frown.gif

I dug through my library and found I do have the Sammys Adventure: A turtle's Tale 3D BD here. I checked it out with my OPPO BD-93 player and the Sony VPL VW-90ES projector. The NuWave logo has excellent negative parallax ( popout ) and then if you advance to chapter 3, the eels swim out and to the left nearly 3/4 of the distance to me before exiting from visibility. Following that, the Sea Horse, swims out about half way into the room and both look very clean and no "cross talk"

I was satisfied the program offers excellent popout for you to test. If you are not seeing this, then you must have something not set up right in your BD player or more likely the projector or TV set. I don't recall what TV display you have.

Unless your TV has Sensio properly implemented ( older Vizio's do not), you will have to manually put the TV in SBS for viewing You Tube as all their 3D is SBS or interleaved and I doubt you have an interleaved set. There are work arounds for this but let's not complicate things while trying to get the basics working.

I hope me verifying the Sammy's Adventure popout is for real and what I looked at will assist you in tracking down what isn't set up right. Keep looking, you'll find it.
post #191 of 215 Old 12-21-2013, 04:07 AM

My TV is an LG 42 LW5700.

Thanks for watching 'Sammys Adventure: A turtle's Tale 3D' , it's good to know that it works for you. Definitely helps get a starting point for fixing the problem.

I was interested in your post when you wrote - "I would like you to verify is do you have your TV set for "simulated 3D"? Everything you describe sounds lke you have some TV settings completely wrong."

I'm not 100% what 'simulated 3D' is. My TV just detects 3D automatically. The only settings are depth (which is not always available), the left/right adjustment and then or the normal video settings.

3D can be changed to left/right screen, top/bottom screen or converted from 2D to 3D. This is so you can watch normal TV in 3D, but it's pretty average. I would say the issue of 3D settings is that there are only a few and they make no difference at all. But I do believe you are on to something.

Why would the Pop Out effect only work on downloaded Youtube clips ? instead of my 3D Blurays. There's got to be something in that.

Downloaded VS Bluray
USB VS HDMI (I am playing my clips through the usb port on the TV using a USB Stick 16GB)

I need a ripped, 3D Bluray so I play it back via the USB port. At least it would confirm that playback method is capable of Pop Out.

Thanks so much for replying to my posts. You have been extremely helpful. Hope you dont mind if I keep bugging you. I feel like I'm making some progress.
post #192 of 215 Old 12-21-2013, 04:18 AM

Just had a look through the TV Manual for the LG 42 LW5700.

3D settings (Mode) are 2D-3D (converted), Side by side, Top & Bottom, Checker Board and Frame Sequential.
post #193 of 215 Old 12-21-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Your LG Tv should switch to 3D frame packing automatically if your player is set for frame packing output, you are using an HDMI cable that is 1.4a compliant and you have not somehow over ridden your auto HDMI settings in the TV. If using a cable that is not 1.4a complaint your TV may go into one of the other modes which would likely be frame sequential and this would not look right for 3D from a modern 3D BluRay player.

In researching your TV I found that LG made an earlier version of the 42lw5700 that was only HDMI 1.3 compliant. This will be a problem that you might not resolve if you happen to have one of these earlier 3D TV's. However there is one possibility if you do. You can use a computer with a frame sequential capable video card that supports 3D frame sequential and get proper 3D that way. My concern here is that you said your TV supports Checkerboard and that mode has been obsolete for a few years.

First verify your cable is the latest spec HDMI cable. Make sure your BD player is set to output 1080 24p x 1920 frame packing and HDMI only. The LG TV if it is 1.4a complaint should then do everything automatically. The Toshiba 3D player should be 1.4 compliant as they were one of the first to offer that unless your player was made prior to 2010.

Finally, you need to understand the LG 3D TV has a narrow viewing angle. Make sure you are viewing square onto the center of the TV. Be at the same level, as line of vision must be perpendicular to the screen. This is true for all Passive panel TV's
post #194 of 215 Old 12-22-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Your LG Tv should switch to 3D frame packing automatically if your player is set for frame packing output, you are using an HDMI cable that is 1.4a compliant and you have not somehow over ridden your auto HDMI settings in the TV. If using a cable that is not 1.4a complaint your TV may go into one of the other modes which would likely be frame sequential and this would not look right for 3D from a modern 3D BluRay player.

I messed around with the 3D settings and realised these are only an option for when you are choosing to turn on 3D. If you put in a disc or USB it automatically plays in 3D. So at least I know that it's not one of those options. I have the latest HDMI 1.4a cable, however it's an Ebay cheapy so I could still try a more reliable source.

In researching your TV I found that LG made an earlier version of the 42lw5700 that was only HDMI 1.3 compliant. This will be a problem that you might not resolve if you happen to have one of these earlier 3D TV's. However there is one possibility if you do. You can use a computer with a frame sequential capable video card that supports 3D frame sequential and get proper 3D that way. My concern here is that you said your TV supports Checkerboard and that mode has been obsolete for a few years.

The LG website says my TV is 1.4, but I'm not sure about the actual TV I have. I have looked through all the menus and the actual TV itself. The manufacture date is November 2011

First verify your cable is the latest spec HDMI cable. Make sure your BD player is set to output 1080 24p x 1920 frame packing and HDMI only. The LG TV if it is 1.4a complaint should then do everything automatically. The Toshiba 3D player should be 1.4 compliant as they were one of the first to offer that unless your player was made prior to 2010.

HDMI - Could try buying from a more reliable source
BD Player - set to 1080 24p X 1920
Toshiba BD - HDMI 1.4

Finally, you need to understand the LG 3D TV has a narrow viewing angle. Make sure you are viewing square onto the center of the TV. Be at the same level, as line of vision must be perpendicular to the screen. This is true for all Passive panel TV's

Yep, tried all viewing angles. I will continue on and try and figure this out.
post #195 of 215 Old 12-23-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

If mfg of TV was Nov 2011 then it is 1.4a. I read that only the very first LG tv's were 1.3 and those were made in 2010. But since yours is switching automatically then that confirms the TV, BD Player and cable are all doing it's job.

One last idea- is your BD player connected to your TV directly, or through an AVR? The AVR must also be 3D compliant ( HDMI 1.4a) too or it will not pass the 3D from the player. What model AVR do you use? If you connect everything directly to the TV, and your PS3 has the same problems, then I am out of ideas.
post #196 of 215 Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:

If mfg of TV was Nov 2011 then it is 1.4a. I read that only the very first LG tv's were 1.3 and those were made in 2010. But since yours is switching automatically then that confirms the TV, BD Player and cable are all doing it's job.

One last idea- is your BD player connected to your TV directly, or through an AVR? The AVR must also be 3D compliant ( HDMI 1.4a) too or it will not pass the 3D from the player. What model AVR do you use? If you connect everything directly to the TV, and your PS3 has the same problems, then I am out of ideas.

BD connected directly to TV via HDMI.

I will try and take the Toshiba and PS3 over to a friends place and watch it there. He has a newer model LG 3D TV.

Ruling out my ability to see pop out - I have seen the incredible potato cod via USB stick, it must be the My TV + HDMI ports. Unless the PS3 & Toshiba just so happen to be not able to produce pop out.

I will post again after I test my gear out on my friends set up.
post #197 of 215 Old 12-23-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
There is a depth setting in the TV, isn't there? I believe that does affect BD playback as well as converted material, that can shift the focal plane forward and back. People sometimes use it to increase depth or pop-out. I was always careful to leave it alone. Director's intent and all, I just want to see it how it is on the disc. Maybe check all that and make sure everything is set to zero or default. As a last result, jot down your picture settings and set the whole thing back to factory. That should blow out anything you may have accidentally set.

I watched Rise of the Guardians the other night, and it starts off with a snowflake that will make you lean back in your seat. Probably the most "far-reaching" pop-out I've got.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #198 of 215 Old 12-24-2013, 12:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have the PS3 and while I rarely use it for Blu Ray 3D ( I use the OPPO) I know there is no difference in the degree of depth. Jedi-there usually is no adjustment for the Z setting when using HDMI and 3D BD. On my displays here that is only available on the SBS or T/B settings. I believe he said the same thing about his LG.

I'm kind of out of ideas at this point.
post #199 of 215 Old 12-24-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

There is a depth setting in the TV, isn't there? I believe that does affect BD playback as well as converted material, that can shift the focal plane forward and back. People sometimes use it to increase depth or pop-out. I was always careful to leave it alone. Director's intent and all, I just want to see it how it is on the disc. Maybe check all that and make sure everything is set to zero or default. As a last result, jot down your picture settings and set the whole thing back to factory. That should blow out anything you may have accidentally set.

I watched Rise of the Guardians the other night, and it starts off with a snowflake that will make you lean back in your seat. Probably the most "far-reaching" pop-out I've got.

The depth setting is no available during the film. Only the L/R adjustment. I dont know why. I remember playing around with it ages ago and it didnt help.

Already at a factory reset now.

I'm really interested now In finding out if my TV has a problem. Hopefully this week I can take the Toshiba and PS3 over to a friends and watch some movies there.
post #200 of 215 Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 PM

This is like torture!!!!!!!

I read in a Samsung forum that someone changed their aspect ration from 16:9 to screen fit and it made a huge difference to the 3D Pop effect.

Got very excited as this is one setting I have not changed yet, I always watch everything in 16:9 so never considered it. I don's have 'screen fit' but my TV has 'Just Scan' and 'Original'. Alas I tried both and there was no change at all.
post #201 of 215 Old 12-25-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobytwo1 View Post

The depth setting is no available during the film. Only the L/R adjustment. I dont know why. I remember playing around with it ages ago and it didnt help.

If you use the set's 2D to 3D conversion, you can usually set the depth setting and it should carry over

post #202 of 215 Old 12-26-2013, 03:05 PM

Well I finally figured it out........ I think.......pretty sure.

I had watched the 'potato cod' scene probably a month back and used that as a starting point for solving my 3D pop problem. The potato cod works, it was watched via USB so that was my starting point. I thought possibly it was a HDMI problem or my settings for the HDMI AV channels.

A relative came to visit yesterday and I said "Just to have another pair of eyes can you tell me what you see with some 3D via USB, Toshiba Bluray and PS3". As I have said a number of times I am a desperate man. She watched the Potato Cod scene first and was blown away. This was the point where I realised that for me there was no 'Pop Out Effect'. I though it worked a month back but after watching it again I realised it was just some incredible depth and kind of like fake 3D. In reality the Potato Cod was hitting the screen, he couldnt get out!

My family member described (as I had once) the Potato Cod as being right in the middle of the room and getting closer. Sammys Adventure had the same effect. She was pointing to parts of the room where she could see the sea horse and other pop out moments. Same again with Despicable Me.

So apparently the answer is (something I didn't even consider) I CANT SEE 3D ANYMORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So time to stop playing around with cables and go visit an optometrist.

On a routine checkup (few times in the last 10 years) I have always had the same problem. One eye is stronger than the other. I wonder if this could be the cause?
So weird that depth is not a problem. Depth looks amazing. But Pop Out is just not possible.

The part that threw me is that my wife basically reported the same finding as me when we watched 3D. Possibly for unknown reasons we have both become immune to 3D Pop.

It's all too strange for me. I need to rest my head.

Again, thank you for all your input.
post #203 of 215 Old 12-26-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobytwo1 View Post

.. don's have 'screen fit' but my TV has 'Just Scan' and 'Original'.
As an aside, what you want is "Just Scan". That's LG's name for the proper pixel-for-pixel display with no zooming, cropping, or overscan. If anything, zooming the image up should actually intensify the 3D experience.

As for your eyes, yes, that will definitely do it. It's common for one eye to be slightly stronger than the other (mine's the right eye, even after LASIK, but I've always been right-eye dominant). As long as they're close, the brain can mux the images together for proper stereo vision, but if they're far out of whack, it's not uncommon for the brain to more or less ignore what's coming in from the bad eye. If it's just a focusing or astigmatism issue, glasses or contacts will work perfectly fine.

Anyway, good luck!

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #204 of 215 Old 01-02-2014, 09:06 PM

pop out 3d out of the screen is awesome and i cant understand people who say its just a gimmick.

i have 42" lg passive tv.

there are not much menu options for the 3d menu, only change left/right and set angle point, that's it.

the tv is in my room, so i watch movies from distance of 2.9 meters,

i found out one day that when i pulled the tv closer to me to 2 meters i had better pop out effect.

so why is it in theatre the effect is way better?

well its the screen size that matters here,

notice that if you have a movie like "imax under the see" with the potato fish breathtaking pop up 3d,

the pop out effect will be different in all sorts of devices like projectors, theatre or tv at home with the same file.

if you will take the same file and see it in theatre, the size is what will give you those floating images, and on tv at home you look on a miniature version of the film.

another example:

the movie "puss in boots" in the beginning of the film there is a landscape view that is meant to be close to your eyes, but you dont get the effect of the landscape fly near your eyes,

again its because the tv screen is too small for it to happen.

it seems that in those 3d tv's you dont get floating images unless you try hard and put effort to see them :)

now i read somewhere that in order to get the effect like in the theatre of things actually happen in front of the screen,

you need to use a magnifier clip on (x2.5) in front of your 3d glasses,

it will scale the screen size and then you will be able to see the pop out effect close to your eyes.

i read it about the ACTIVE glasses,

i think it might be a solution,

also it says nothing about the PASSIVE 3d glasses.

what do you guys think?

anyone heard/tried the magnifying clip ons?

will it work for PASSIVE glasses?

take a look at one user who mention it like it is a know fact:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Ideas-Magnifier-Spectacles-Magnifying/dp/B004TRCWBA

use with 3d glasses

post #205 of 215 Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 PM

I booked in for an eye exam. I have not been in 10 years so thought it would be a good time. I asked while I was there about the 3D problem and they looked at me like I asked them to explain quantum physics in Chinese, backwards to me.

Not very hopeful that it will help but who knows. I will give it a go and report back AGAIN!
post #206 of 215 Old 01-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Liked: 13
Don,

I have a new 27" passive 3D monitor and tried looking at your 3D videos, but could only see them in SBS, whereas other 3D videos allow me to choose interleaved. The monitor does SBS, but only at full screen, and then the images have too much separation. Just wondering why your 3D doesn't have the interleaved option.
post #207 of 215 Old 01-03-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Not sure why it doesn't show up for you. A few months ago You Tube changed the way it displays 3D videos for viewers. It used to works quite well but all my older videos now do not play in 3D for some people. YT has never answered my questions on this. I normally upload my programs in 3D SBSh, 1080 30i. For some reason Bellagio Gardens does not hgave 3D options while all the other do.

I just checked and all my 3D videos except the Bellagio Gardens has the interleaved option. If you don't see this and need it, maybe you can send in a complaint to YT. I can't do anything here since I see interleaved so it must be something YT doesn't permit with your setup.

I'm not where I can check on a 3D monitor and using a MS Surface Pro and I can set the 3D for anaglyph.
post #208 of 215 Old 01-04-2014, 06:37 AM

Liked: 13
Don,

Doh!--I didn't look beyond the Bellagio Gardens. Yes the others do work. The Kennedy Space Center tour is as good or better than anything I've seen on TV--what camera(s) did you use? As a side note, I was an Air Force Defense Controller at the time of the moon landing, and we had very sophisticated computers to track all the aircraft on radar for the total western, Canadian, and eastern seaboards. These computers (about the size of a refrigerator), came out of the transistor research done by Bell Labs and a computer language developed by Rand Corp. for the moon landing. I always laugh when I hear that compute power back then was very minimal--maybe in the lunar module--but in the tracking facility, trust me it was not. You can see by the sophistication of the tracking monitors that something had to be tying all this equipment together in the back room. Anyway, I digress, but your video really shows the engineering prowess developed in that era, and it was all total leading edge stuff for the time period. Look forward to viewing your other videos as well.

Bob
post #209 of 215 Old 01-05-2014, 03:37 PM

Just got back from eye exam. No problems at all, no need for glasses.

Even had a 3D test (think the Optometrist called it a binocular test), basically it's a book and you put on a pair glasses (same as the cinema ones) and I could see every single thing I was supposed to see no matter how minor it was jumping out of the page.

At most she could only tell me that there are some exercises you can do to improve 3D (binocular) vision but I would have to go to someone else who is specialised in that area.

I dont know if any of it will help because I think she was expecting me to have some type of vision problem that would explain the 3D pop issue I am having. However she did say it was an issue that people have and can develop.

I will continue to search for answers.

Q. I have Googled the hell out of the internet and cannot find eye exercises to improve your 3D viewing experience. Has anyone found anything like this in their travels ?
post #210 of 215 Old 01-05-2014, 09:21 PM

i manage to enhance the pop out effect,

try to put something between you and the tv screen to have a reference point.

for example,

if you are lying on your bed, put a chair between you and the tv in a way that the upper chair edge will be more or less in the height of the lower edge of the tv screen,

that way you no longer have to "guess" how much the imaged "popped".

"imax under the sea" fishes looks floating above and in front of the screen this way,

you can see them swim before the chair and you cant be mistaken about the pop out here.

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page