Imax 3D vs RealD 3D - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 01-13-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 108
UPDATE: I received a couple more emails; they mistakenly thought that by "crosstalk" I was referring to audio issues and so they contacted the IMAX sound engineer and conducted a sound check. I just emailed them back and informed them that it was the 3D crosstalk we were concerned about. The director promised to get back to me with their findings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 396
As mentioned earlier in the thread, IMAX 3D uses glasses with linear polarization. This will unavoidably cause crosstalk if you tilt your head at all. RealD uses glasses with circular polarization and should not have this problem.

As to why you saw crosstalk even when your head was level, that may be an issue with the theater, or it may be that your head wasn't as level as you thought it was. smile.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #33 of 45 Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would imagine it depends mostly on the theater. Out my way the Imax theaters have larger screens, better brightness and much better audio. The read -d are just a screen at a normal theater. The Imax at Jordan's furniture is actually the best theater around. The screen is huge (advertised as 8 stories tall) the audio is awesome (advertised as 12,000 watts) and ever seat is made of tempurpedic memory foam with a buttlicker in it. I've only experience crosstalk at Imax when forced to sit too cloe to the screen and have to literally move my head to see both extremes of the screen (we get there early now) If you tilt you head though, you will see the issues. In practice its not an issue as I never accidentally let my head flop too far to one side to cause an issue.

It's the only experience that can beat my home set up. RealD theaters nearby are too dim and have standard screen size and standard theater audio.

This is obviously not common, but illustrates my point that the theater matters more than the technology.

Edit: For what its worth, the 1st 3D movie i saw was a dim lackluster presentation and wasn't impressed. What got me hooked on 3D was seeing the Harry Potter the Order of the Phoenix with like 10 minutes in 3D at an Imax theater. I have gone there to see most 3D blockbusters since.
post #34 of 45 Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post

The Imax at Jordan's furniture is actually the best theater around. The screen is huge (advertised as 8 stories tall)

I haven't been to the Jordan's IMAX since they converted to digital. Did they mask down the 1.44:1 screen to 1.9:1, or is everything simply projected with empty space at the top and bottom of the screen?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #35 of 45 Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I haven't been to the Jordan's IMAX since they converted to digital. Did they mask down the 1.44:1 screen to 1.9:1, or is everything simply projected with empty space at the top and bottom of the screen?

The later, before the movie they do the dancing lights thing to swing music and the whole screen is used for that.
post #36 of 45 Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

UPDATE: I received a couple more emails; they mistakenly thought that by "crosstalk" I was referring to audio issues and so they contacted the IMAX sound engineer and conducted a sound check. I just emailed them back and informed them that it was the 3D crosstalk we were concerned about. The director promised to get back to me with their findings.

Rudy has there been any update on this situation?

post #37 of 45 Old 02-10-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post

Rudy has there been any update on this situation?

I haven't heard anything back. Perhaps you should contact the Director of Marketing, Visitor Services & IMAX Theater, Theresa Waldron...that's the individual I was dealing with. Her email is: Theresa.Waldron@mods.net
post #38 of 45 Old 02-12-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

I haven't heard anything back. Perhaps you should contact the Director of Marketing, Visitor Services & IMAX Theater, Theresa Waldron...that's the individual I was dealing with. Her email is: Theresa.Waldron@mods.net

I'd be interested to know what the deal is. Seen a lot of movies there over the years and almost always see x-talk w/ 3D.
post #39 of 45 Old 02-16-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

I must concur. I too bring my own 3D glasses (Oakley Transformers Edtion) with me to use and are much better. The closest IMAX for me I believe is Denver, a 5-6 hour drive.

There's only 2 major theaters in town which are both owned by a smaller chain, Carmike Cinemas. They have a lock on the market here so I doubt this area will ever see an IMAX anytime soon.

IMAX seems to be only in major metropolitan areas. So RealD #D is most's only option and not a bad one either.

I travel a lot and have been in many different large screen type theaters from IMAX to RPX, et al. I remember being at the IMAX in Ft. Lauderdale for the AVATAR 3D in true IMAX 15/70 film and seeing a lot of cross talk. We had center seats half way up, so essentially really good seating location. I've seen other 2D movies there and it was breathtaking. The 3D, not so much. I've been to other true IMAX 15/70 film theaters, such as the one in Council Bluffs, Iowa and the Kennedy Space Center, Florida, neither of which I saw any cross talk on.

I saw Avatar a few months later on a RealD 3D screen on Guam and while it was not as bright, I saw no cross talk. I believe it was a Sony 4K projector. I cannot verify that but it's what was marketed by the theater, originally gohollywood but it now appears to be Regal.

I'm not sure who SneakySAN w/ just joining and only one post, but I would disagree w/ him and say RealD 3D is the more widely consistent and available option. I rarely see issues w/ audio/video quality as an average movie goer. If I do, say a dirty screen or bad speaker, I can complain, sometimes get a free ticket or two and they rectify the problem soon or I keep complaining on having sub par performance and having to pay for it. I noticed it quite easily on the Imax.

You might want to take a drive north to World Golf Village sometime and check out their IMAX 3D. Just north of St. Augustine. Supposed to be the largest and most powerful audio. Plus, they don't operate like a normal multiplex hosted IMAX. Prices are generally lower too. Check on line to see what is currently showing. We have switched to WGV for IMAX shows since it's cheaper and the quality is much higher. A side benefit is few little kids with annoying manners go there. Concession stand is tiny so don't expect a big restaurant for food like the multiplex. Ticket price is $10.
post #40 of 45 Old 02-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
with IMAX using two projectors the other advantage is less eye strain as there is no flicker between the eyes as with a single projector switching like active glasses. the only true passive 3d is two projectors. the screen quality has a lot to do with ghosting as well, it has to preserve the polarization well enough.

post #41 of 45 Old 02-17-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

You might want to take a drive north to World Golf Village sometime and check out their IMAX 3D. Just north of St. Augustine. Supposed to be the largest and most powerful audio. Plus, they don't operate like a normal multiplex hosted IMAX. Prices are generally lower too. Check on line to see what is currently showing. We have switched to WGV for IMAX shows since it's cheaper and the quality is much higher. A side benefit is few little kids with annoying manners go there. Concession stand is tiny so don't expect a big restaurant for food like the multiplex. Ticket price is $10.

Been there numerous times and it is great!

I now live not to far from there so I'll be going back up that way to check it out some more.
post #42 of 45 Old 02-17-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman45 View Post

with IMAX using two projectors the other advantage is less eye strain as there is no flicker between the eyes as with a single projector switching like active glasses. the only true passive 3d is two projectors. the screen quality has a lot to do with ghosting as well, it has to preserve the polarization well enough.

Perhaps their screen @ MODS wasn't polarized enough.

It's pretty old and don't think they have done much updating to their IMAX over the years.

But I thought I heard a rumor once they were going digital w/ the projector but not sure if that has happened yet.
post #43 of 45 Old 02-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
they are going digital from what i hear at most locations. there is a limit to what polarizing can do either circular or linear. the best setups are 80:1 signal to noise at best on axis that leads to ghosting,realD XL is the worst for ghosting but has higher throughput. i wish they were still looking at using panavision 3d but the marketing stopped.

post #44 of 45 Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Wonder why, but any one else notice they now longer are showing the Hollywood movies @ MODS?
post #45 of 45 Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

Wonder why, but any one else notice they now longer are showing the Hollywood movies @ MODS?

As far as I know, they have always only shown select Hollywood movies, which typically seem to be the big-budget and action-packed kind that would benefit from such a large screen.

Maybe they don't feel that any of the movies out right now fit that bill. (??)

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page