Hugo Cabret - November 2011 - Dir. by Martin Scorsese - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those that think Hugo was boring, and slow, I guess it depends on the content. I've always been a tinkerer, an inquisitive person on how clocks work, on how movies and movie special effects are made, and on history. The 3D was amazing (no cross-talk on my set), and the 3D made the movie less boring because I was looking at all the scenery constantly. Maybe I was looking at it because the scenery interested me.

If the movie was about something that I don't care about, like horses or horse races, or a romance between two people on a large ship that hits an iceberg, I would find it boring too. I think it's all dependent on the person watching the film.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinalyx View Post

i thought the movie was ok, it was on the slow side. My 2 kids watching with me were complaining about how boring it was, my 7 year old actually went as far as to go to bed a little over half way thru because it was so slow.

I get the point of the movie, i get what they were doing/saying, i just dont get why there couldnt be a bit more going on. A little more comic relief, a bit more action, something other than slow talking story telling would have been great.

Also, i had TONS of crosstalk(panny 65 vt30) Noticable throughout, but especially bad at the end when Georges was in the Tux. The wide was noticably over top of the black on both sides. I just cant figure out why this movie is by far the worst with crosstalk that ive seen.

Shawn

I agree with you in regards to the crosstalk. My GT30, 210 3D player, Onkyo 609 combo has never displayed any crosstalk until Hugo.

It didn't kill the experience for me but I find it odd that IMAX Tahiti, Hubble, Under the Sea, Yogi, Avatar, Tangled, Toy Story 3, Meet the Robinsons, Nightmare Before Christmas, How To Train Your Dragon, Ice Age DotD, Rio, Puss N Boots, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and The Scorpions 3D show no crosstalk for me yet Hugo does.

~Bill
post #93 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 AM

I was experiencing horrible cross-talk with two Blu-Rays - Drive Angry and Rio. All the other 30+ 3D blu-rays I watched looked great. At first, I thought that those must be bad blu-rays, but no.... It just took a firmware update of my blu-ray player, and Drive Angry and Rio were watchable. I'm suspecting this might be the same for others who are having issues with Hugo.

Anywhere where you have difficulty seeing the image, pause the screen. With your glasses on, close your left eye, then close your right eye. Are you seeing the SAME EXACT image in both eyes? Or is one eye an image of a person's arm in one position (like down to it's side), and another an image of the person's arm bent in a slightly different position? If so, something is wrong with the blu-ray player translating the image to the TV. Both images must be the SAME (except for screen location and size) for the image's depth to be translated by your eyes and brain correctly. If the images are off just a little bit, your brain will see those images as 2 distinct images, thus creating double-vision, and a horrible 3D experience.
post #94 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtrinet View Post

I was experiencing horrible cross-talk with two Blu-Rays - Drive Angry and Rio. All the other 30+ 3D blu-rays I watched looked great. At first, I thought that those must be bad blu-rays, but no.... It just took a firmware update of my blu-ray player, and Drive Angry and Rio were watchable. I'm suspecting this might be the same for others who are having issues with Hugo.

Anywhere where you have difficulty seeing the image, pause the screen. With your glasses on, close your left eye, then close your right eye. Are you seeing the SAME EXACT image in both eyes? Or is one eye an image of a person's arm in one position (like down to it's side), and another an image of the person's arm bent in a slightly different position? If so, something is wrong with the blu-ray player translating the image to the TV. Both images must be the SAME (except for screen location and size) for the image's depth to be translated by your eyes and brain correctly. If the images are off just a little bit, your brain will see those images as 2 distinct images, thus creating double-vision, and a horrible 3D experience.

Well perhaps Panasonic will issue a new firmware update for the 210 to address it if that's the case. My player is running the latest update - as are my TV and my AVR.

~Bill
post #95 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 AM

im on a PS3 that literally just updated this week. Also, i checked the images with single eyes, the ghosting was still there, even while paused and viewed thru one eye. Also, the images were always exactly the same(as far as i can see anyway)

Shawn
post #96 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 07:00 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinalyx View Post

im on a PS3 that literally just updated this week. Also, i checked the images with single eyes, the ghosting was still there, even while paused and viewed thru one eye. Also, the images were always exactly the same(as far as i can see anyway)

Shawn

Ghosting is a hardware issue 99.99% of the time with Hollywood blu-ray releases that don't have convergence issues. If you were to force your TV into 2D where it only shows the left eye image, you wouldn't see any ghosting. By pausing and closing one eye and looking through your 3D glasses, you would still see ghosting because your TV is incorrectly sending some info meant for one eye to the other eye.

Hugo has stronger parallax, or image separation, than most other live-action 3D movies, which creates a deeper sense of 3D depth and immersion, but also lends itself to more ghosting on 3DTVs that are prone to ghosting.
post #97 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just watched Hugo in 3D (Blu-ray). The 3D was used perfectly. It became part of the movie and greatly enhanced the viewing experience. If done properly 3D can greatly contribute to the viewing experience! (Zero ghosting and crosstalk on my Samsung 61" LED DLP").
post #98 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 AM
VFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

I agree with you in regards to the crosstalk. My GT30, 210 3D player, Onkyo 609 combo has never displayed any crosstalk until Hugo.

It didn't kill the experience for me but I find it odd that IMAX Tahiti, Hubble, Under the Sea, Yogi, Avatar, Tangled, Toy Story 3, Meet the Robinsons, Nightmare Before Christmas, How To Train Your Dragon, Ice Age DotD, Rio, Puss N Boots, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and The Scorpions 3D show no crosstalk for me yet Hugo does.

I noticed cross-talk on my Panasonic BDT210/Sharp 835U when I watched Hugo last night. I switched over to the PS3, installed the latest f/w update, and the cross-talk was on that player as well. The one scene I checked was at the 44:38 minute mark where the station inspector leans down and gets into Hugo's face. When his head pops out of the screen, there is major cross-talk along the right side of his hat and ear and on the left side along his chin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

Ghosting is a hardware issue 99.99% of the time with Hollywood blu-ray releases that don't have convergence issues. ...... By pausing and closing one eye and looking through your 3D glasses, you would still see ghosting because your TV is incorrectly sending some info meant for one eye to the other eye ...... Hugo has stronger parallax, or image separation, than most other live-action 3D movies, which creates a deeper sense of 3D depth and immersion, but also lends itself to more ghosting on 3DTVs that are prone to ghosting.

The station inspector head pop-out is about two feet (33% of the 6 ft I was from the TV), I wouldn't think there would be much image separation on that scene.

When I pause the scene and close my left eye I see just the ghosting on the right part of the hat and ear. The left side of the chin looks perfect.

When I close my right eye, the ghosting disappears on the right part of the hat and ear but then the ghosting appears on the chin.
post #99 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Well, I was a victim of all the hype. It was a decent story and good acting, but winner of 11 Academy awards? The competition must have really sucked!

It won 5 Academy Awards, all in technical categories.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #100 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you're disappointed your kids don't like it, watch it without them. Don't let their boredom bring down your own opinions.

Don't grade the movie based on how it appeals to kids. Would you grade Lawrence of Arabia or Doctor Zhivago that way?

Sure, the exterior is misleading as a kid-friendly film, but you gotta look past that and give it your full emotional investment.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #101 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post

I noticed cross-talk on my Panasonic BDT210/Sharp 835U when I watched Hugo last night. I switched over to the PS3, installed the latest f/w update, and the cross-talk was on that player as well. The one scene I checked was at the 44:38 minute mark where the station inspector leans down and gets into Hugo's face. When his head pops out of the screen, there is major cross-talk along the right side of his hat and ear and on the left side along his chin.

The station inspector head pop-out is about two feet, I wouldn't think there would be much image separation on that scene.

When I pause the scene and close my left eye I see just the ghosting on the right part of the hat and ear. The left side of the chin looks perfect.

When I close my right eye, the ghosting disappears on the right part of the hat and ear but then the ghosting appears on the chin.

You're seeing crosstalk because bright skin colored pixels have to go dark then light 120 times per second. And because the screen parallax (distance between two of the same images) is so thick.

My Videos

post #102 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I watched this on Tuesday night and absolutely loved it. For some reason, I always seem to get sleepy when I watch 3D movies. I don't know if it is because the glasses make the room darker, the weight of the glasses, or what. But I sat there mesmerized, wide awake, from beginning to end for this one. I could see why some people (and especially kids) would find it boring, but it was anything but for me.

I did see some crosstalk, but it didn't seem any worse than other movies I have, and I have quite a few. My TV just has crosstalk, and I've come to accept it.

To the guy a few pages back who wished that the robot would have worked some magic, ummmmmm, the automaton was crucial to the entire plot of the movie, and I felt that it did work some magic. I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't seen it, but I was genuinely touched for the boy when he saw what the automaton produced, and I actually shed a few tears.

The disc sounds great right from the get-go as you hear the noises of the train station as the studio logos are displayed on the screen. The music was also very well done.

I cannot wait to watch this movie again. And I also can't wait to see The Artist to see just how much better that movie could be to win best picture over this.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, but this disc, for me, loaded incredibly slowly. In fact, I almost ejected it between the trailers for Titanic (why was that not in 3d?!?!?) and Tin Tin. Then after Tin Tin, the screen stayed black for more than a minute. I ejected it then, reloaded it, and it went straight to the menu. Did anyone else have problems with loading? I've never had issues with any other 3D movies.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #103 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

One thing I forgot to mention, but this disc, for me, loaded incredibly slowly. In fact, I almost ejected it between the trailers for Titanic (why was that not in 3d?!?!?) and Tin Tin. Then after Tin Tin, the screen stayed black for more than a minute. I ejected it then, reloaded it, and it went straight to the menu. Did anyone else have problems with loading? I've never had issues with any other 3D movies.

Did you have trailers on the Blu-Ray or the 3D Blu-Ray? I didn't. No trailers on the Blu-Rays or even an option to see them on the main menu. The trailers were only on the DVD. The Titanic trailer LOOKED like it was supposed to be 3D - but why wasn't it only on the DVD and not on the 3D Blu-Ray? Odd.

No - this movie loaded quite quickly for me. No problems at all. I have the LG blu-ray player that came with my LG passive TV.
post #104 of 175 Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 PM
VFC

Quote:

..... EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, but this disc, for me, loaded incredibly slowly. In fact, I almost ejected it between the trailers for Titanic (why was that not in 3d?!?!?) and Tin Tin. Then after Tin Tin, the screen stayed black for more than a minute. I ejected it then, reloaded it, and it went straight to the menu. Did anyone else have problems with loading? I've never had issues with any other 3D movies.

Mine loaded fast on both a BDT210 and PS3. I have an 8GB SD card in my BDT210 player, so BD-Live is active. I wasn't sure if the three previews came from the Bu-ray disc or over the network as part of BD Live.

I did notice during the pendulum scene in the tower, that the pendulum split down the middle as the picture briefly broke up. I immediately backed up and replayed the scene and it worked fine the second time. That is the first time I had an issue with my BDT210 and any of my 3D disc.
post #105 of 175 Old 03-02-2012, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Yeah, the Titanic 3D and Tin Tin trailers were on the 3D disc (not in 3D, sadly). Or at least they played when I put the 3D disc in. Whether they are on the disc or were loaded from BD-Live, I don't know.

According to High Def Digest: "Once inserted into the player, previews for 'Titanic 3D,' 'The Adventures of Tintin,' 'Footloose (2011),' 'Like Crazy,' and 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' immediately pop up, followed by the full-motion menu with music."

Weird that once I reinserted the disc, it went straight to the menu. I guess it was trying to play the trailer for Footloose when I ejected the disc the first time. It did load quickly the second time I put the disc in. Well, as quickly as my other 3D discs.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #106 of 175 Old 03-02-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:

Yeah, the Titanic 3D and Tin Tin trailers were on the 3D disc (not in 3D, sadly). Or at least they played when I put the 3D disc in. Whether they are on the disc or were loaded from BD-Live, I don't know.

According to High Def Digest: "Once inserted into the player, previews for 'Titanic 3D,' 'The Adventures of Tintin,' 'Footloose (2011),' 'Like Crazy,' and 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' immediately pop up, followed by the full-motion menu with music."

Weird that once I reinserted the disc, it went straight to the menu. I guess it was trying to play the trailer for Footloose when I ejected the disc the first time. It did load quickly the second time I put the disc in. Well, as quickly as my other 3D discs.

I loaded the 3D disc up last night on my sony bdp-s580, no trailers popped up, no options for trailers on the menu, i do have my player connected to mynetwork and bd-live enabed, but nope no trailers on the 3D disc
post #107 of 175 Old 03-02-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

I loaded the 3D disc up last night on my sony bdp-s580, no trailers popped up, no options for trailers on the menu, i do have my player connected to mynetwork and bd-live enabed, but nope no trailers on the 3D disc

I don't have BD-live on my Blu-ray player, and I saw no previews.

I'm guessing that the previews must be on BD-live. It makes sense, because there should always be CURRENT previews. If I'm watching this blu-ray in 2037, I'd rather not see a preview for Titanic, but rather a documentary on the history of flying cars.
post #108 of 175 Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 AM

Yep crosstalk is horrible in some scenes especially towards the end where there wasn't even much 3D pop and I saw crosstalk from both eyes. Normally when I closed my right eye the ghosting image goes away but it was there in both eyes.
As for the movie I would say it's ok. I was expecting something big to happen but it never did.
post #109 of 175 Old 03-02-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Crosstalk is not in the film or the disc, so if you are seeing it and want to mention it, you are essentially sharing with us the shortcomings or limitations of your playback equipment. Such information might better be shared in threads pertaining to the particular components that are under-performing.
post #110 of 175 Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I just rewatched...hmmm still feel likes its a decent film (70/100). But I must say the sound was pretty darn good. Made it seem like my room was a train station haha.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #111 of 175 Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No cross talk or ghosting on my system (ps3/Optoma HD3300) Really looked good.

I did however have a terrible time getting the 3D disk to play. It took over an hour of trying to get past the "film strip loading icon" and several eject reload cycles.. Finally got it to play, but with no previews. I think it was a BD-Live server issue.

Next day I experienced the loading delay again and went into my PS3 and deleted all BD cache information for Hugo and all other cached BD data and finally got it to play again and this time I got the Titanic, Tin-Tin and Footloose previews. I wonder if the BD-Live servers are getting slammed with a lot of traffic or are buggy. This is the first time that I have ever experienced this while trying to watch a Bluray of any type.

Definitley was thinking of sending my disk back to Amazon because of not being able to get the disk to play, but now I think it is all because of the BD-Live.
post #112 of 175 Old 03-03-2012, 05:32 AM
VFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Crosstalk is not in the film or the disc, so if you are seeing it and want to mention it, you are essentially sharing with us the shortcomings or limitations of your playback equipment. Such information might better be shared in threads pertaining to the particular components that are under-performing.

I have a late model-brand name TV, using the most common technology (LCD), with a highly rated Blu-ray player (and a PS3). This movie has significant crosstalk; and is noticeable enough that a number of others have noted that in their reviews. I think that is a very relevant point to bring up in a review about this disc.

Blu-Ray.com has this statement in their review of Hugo 3D "... Crosstalk is not only present, but severe. It's constant and distracting, heavy and disappointing. It greatly interferes with the film and, for all the good the remainder of the 3D visuals do, at this time the standard 2D version proves to be the best option for pure visual perfection."

If this movie can only be fully enjoyed (i.e., not being annoyed by distracting crosstalk) by owners of certain TVs, then this movie's overall rating should reflect that.
post #113 of 175 Old 03-03-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:

I have a late model-brand name TV, using the most common technology (LCD), with a highly rated Blu-ray player (and a PS3). This movie has significant crosstalk; and is noticeable enough that a number of others have noted that in their reviews. I think that is a very relevant point to bring up in a review about this disc.

Blu-Ray.com has this statement in their review of Hugo 3D "... Crosstalk is not only present, but severe. It's constant and distracting, heavy and disappointing. It greatly interferes with the film and, for all the good the remainder of the 3D visuals do, at this time the standard 2D version proves to be the best option for pure visual perfection."

If this movie can only be fully enjoyed (i.e., not being annoyed by distracting crosstalk) by owners of certain TVs, then this movie's overall rating should reflect that.

VFC, It is interesting how some see crosstalk on this title (I do not) and others don't. I am wondering since you have a PS3, have you set the screen size to match your LCD size in the PS3 display setting?
post #114 of 175 Old 03-03-2012, 06:02 AM
VFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWTX View Post

VFC, It is interesting how some see crosstalk on this title (I do not) and others don't. I am wondering since you have a PS3, have you set the screen size to match your LCD size in the PS3 display setting?

I believe I have the PS3 set up for auto-detect. I only tried the PS3 on one scene (the pop-out of the station inspector's face) to verify that the crosstalk I was seeing was not caused by my Panasonic BDT210 blu-ray player. Crosstalk was the same on both.
post #115 of 175 Old 03-03-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:

I believe I have the PS3 set up for auto-detect. I only tried the PS3 on one scene (the pop-out of the station inspector's face) to verify that the crosstalk I was seeing was not caused by my Panasonic BDT210 blu-ray player. Crosstalk was the same on both.

Unless your LCD is a Sony, I believe you have to manually enter your screen size on the PS3. Just trying to help because this title has a really good 3d image when all is going well.
post #116 of 175 Old 03-03-2012, 06:46 AM

I watched Hugo 3D on my 82" Mitsubishi DLP TV with zero crosstalk. The visuals of this movie are just simply amazing. I do believe crosstalk issues are with hardware and not the movie itself. I have a LG passive 3D in my "man cave" and I notice crosstalk on it with some movies, but never any crosstalk on my DLP.
post #117 of 175 Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hugo is on directv 3d today and I have just rented and recorded for latter . we have watched a few other shows and movies on dtv's 3d channels and have never seen any of the cross talk or ghosting that is written about here. have the 65-inch led vizio and it works great.
post #118 of 175 Old 03-03-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Rating the playback equipment's ability to handle really good 3D makes more sense to me.
post #119 of 175 Old 03-03-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Crosstalk and ghosting is a function of the display. Some 3D movies have 3D visuals which unfortunately some LCD and Plasma displays can't handle well. As previously stated on my 3D DLP sets viewing Hugo I have zero crosstalk and ghosting.
post #120 of 175 Old 03-03-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Teat your tv for crosstalk and compare it to other sets:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1291751

My Videos

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page