Gears of War 3 is in 3D?! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 85 Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Gears 3 is not as flawless as Black Ops 3D, but it's much better than Crysis 2. Crysis 2 looks unnatural, certain objects are at different depths but the environment doesn't feel 3D.
Overall I enjoy Gears in 3D and much prefer it to playing in 2D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 09-29-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

Gears 3 is not as flawless as Black Ops 3D, but it's much better than Crysis 2. Crysis 2 looks unnatural, certain objects are at different depths but the environment doesn't feel 3D.
Overall I enjoy Gears in 3D and much prefer it to playing in 2D.

I will say the 3d effect wasn't bad, but the resolution takes so much of a hit I'd rather play in 2d. 3d on gears drops everything to SD with AA turned Off, I couldn't get past that on a great looking game.
post #63 of 85 Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 PM

Yeah there's a sacrifice there. More pixels vs depth dimension. I still prefer 3D, I'm glad they lowered resolution rather than frames per second.
post #64 of 85 Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

More pixels vs depth dimension.

The resolution is different but the number of pixels is usually roughly the same. It's lower res but you're seeing two unique images at that resolution. It's not equivalent to doubling the resolution of course, as objects in the distance look the same to both eyes, just separated. But closer objects will have more unique visual information between the left and right images, providing better definition.

People often compare resolution in 2D vs 3D at face value, when in fact I think it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. Over in the projector forum, buried in the Acer H5360 thread, there's people saying how it looks decidedly 720p in 2D, yet when watching a 3D Blu-ray on this 720p projector, it looks like 1080p.
post #65 of 85 Old 09-30-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quite honestly I thought the visible drop in resolution in going from 2D to 3D was really minor. I played thru Gears 3 3D on my 63" plasma and it still looked really good.

In fact, I find it interesting that the side-by-side 3D in this game is actually superior to just about all of the PS3 3D games I have. It certainly isn't plagued by the drastic drop in resolution that all but ruined Killzone 3 and ghosting is all but non-existent, something that can't be said of Killzone 3 or Resistance 3.
post #66 of 85 Old 10-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

I just read this rundown of Gears 3's graphics:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...f-war-3?page=3

It confirms that the game is using TriOviz's reprojection implementation. So I have to correct myself here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

The resolution is different but the number of pixels is usually roughly the same. It's lower res but you're seeing two unique images at that resolution. It's not equivalent to doubling the resolution of course, as objects in the distance look the same to both eyes, just separated. But closer objects will have more unique visual information between the left and right images, providing better definition.

None of this applies to Gears 3. If reprojection is used, the second image is simply built from the first one. There is no additional detail in the second image. What obveron said about more pixels in 2D vs 3D is correct.

Discouraging, but the the real test is whether it looks good or not to you.
post #67 of 85 Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Quite honestly I thought the visible drop in resolution in going from 2D to 3D was really minor. I played thru Gears 3 3D on my 63" plasma and it still looked really good.

In fact, I find it interesting that the side-by-side 3D in this game is actually superior to just about all of the PS3 3D games I have. It certainly isn't plagued by the drastic drop in resolution that all but ruined Killzone 3 and ghosting is all but non-existent, something that can't be said of Killzone 3 or Resistance 3.

This may be because half-SbS is better than framepacked 720p (when viewed on a 1080p display).
First of all, half-sbs has the potential of more pixels than 720p.
1080p/2 > 720p

Secondly half-sbs scales evenly into 1080p. It's a simple x2 scale of one axis, the pixels line up perfectly. 720p requires a lossy non-integer scale on both axis.
I think the PS3 would benefit from half-sbs. HDMI 1.4 brought nothing for gamers. Half-SbS works with old HDMI, and even VGA or component, it's more compatible and it looks better. Frankly, HDMI 1.4 sucks for games.

Try COD Black Ops in 3d on a PS3 and then on a 360, you'll see Half-sbs just looks better.
post #68 of 85 Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try COD Black Ops in 3d on a PS3 and then on a 360, you'll see Half-sbs just looks better.

Ironically, when Black Ops was released I blind bought the PS3 version because at the time I thought frame-packed at 720p would be better than SBS. Based on my experience with Gears (and Green Lantern as well) I'm seriously thinking about selling my PS3 Black Ops and picking up the 360 version to try out.

Going forward, looks like I'll be getting the 360 versions of multi-platform 3D games like Arkham City.
post #69 of 85 Old 10-01-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

I will say the 3d effect wasn't bad, but the resolution takes so much of a hit I'd rather play in 2d. 3d on gears drops everything to SD with AA turned Off, I couldn't get past that on a great looking game.

Very true that resolution takes a huge hit and i thought it was atrocious when i had my 360 set to 720p. I later thought i wonder how it would look in 3d set at 1080p and it cleaned it up tremendously. I prefer the 2d for mp and 3d for campaign. It's a pain having to go back and forth on the resolutions but i noticed while playing Gears2 at 1080p it loses some fine detail here and there.

A word of advice to everyone playing a plasma be careful with playing it for too long mp wise or horde wise it will leave some persistent image retention there a ton of threads on it at the EPic forums. I hope Epic will able tweak the menus and weapon huds to make it more plasma friendly let alone 3d friendly. It wouldn't be too bad of an idea if you haven't made an account there to do so and support everyone's issue reports on the image retention being caused by this game. I've got some really bad ir from Resistance 3 and really don't need anymore from Gears3.
post #70 of 85 Old 10-01-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyDetrakD View Post

A word of advice to everyone playing a plasma be careful with playing it for too long mp wise or horde wise it will leave some persistent image retention there a ton of threads on it at the EPic forums. I hope Epic will able tweak the menus and weapon huds to make it more plasma friendly let alone 3d friendly. It wouldn't be too bad of an idea if you haven't made an account there to do so and support everyone's issue reports on the image retention being caused by this game. I've got some really bad ir from Resistance 3 and really don't need anymore from Gears3.

When you have a chance, please provide a link to the epic forums and I'll definitely register and add a post of my own.

I really don't know why in this day and age more games don't give you the option of turning off the HUD or at least changing its transparency. I can't imagine it would be hard to code and doubt it would cause any performance issues.

I notice a lot of (but not all) first party PS3 games offer this feature (got Child of Eden today and it has numerous HUD options); I wish more developers would follow suit. I had to get rid of my copy of SOCOM 4 because the HUD in that game was causing havok with my 3D plasma.
post #71 of 85 Old 10-01-2011, 02:33 PM

post #72 of 85 Old 10-01-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the links; I've created an account on the Epic forums but still haven't gotten the confirmation email; I'll be sure to post a few replys as soon as I'm able.
post #73 of 85 Old 10-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder how a 720p display handles a 1080p sbs image. Does it downscale to 720p and then process the sbs 3D (effectively 720p sbs), or does it process the 3D as a 1080p image before scaling the two images to fit 720p (providing all the detail held in the 1080p image)? I suspect it's the former, in which case frame packed 720p would be better than 1080p sbs on such a display.
post #74 of 85 Old 10-01-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder how a 720p display handles a 1080p sbs image. Does it downscale to 720p and then process the sbs 3D (effectively 720p sbs), or does it process the 3D as a 1080p image before scaling the two images to fit 720p (providing all the detail held in the 1080p image)? I suspect it's the former, in which case frame packed 720p would be better than 1080p sbs on such a display.

I would bet it downscales to its native resolution as that's all it could display, on top of that a side by side 3d gets its resolution cut in half so your not even getting 720p or 1080p. On top of that gears doesn't run in native 1080P its 720p and the 360 will scale it to 1080p but that doesn't add more detail.
post #75 of 85 Old 10-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

I would bet it downscales to its native resolution as that's all it could display, on top of that a side by side 3d gets its resolution cut in half so your not even getting 720p or 1080p. On top of that gears doesn't run in native 1080P its 720p and the 360 will scale it to 1080p but that doesn't add more detail.

Interesting. So if the game itself isn't 1080p, then there shouldn't be any difference in detail in sbs 3D on a 720p vs 1080p display.
post #76 of 85 Old 10-02-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. So if the game itself isn't 1080p, then there shouldn't be any difference in detail in sbs 3D on a 720p vs 1080p display.

The benefit to having your 360 set to the native resolution of your TV whether it be 720p or 1080p, is so the TV itself doesn't have to scale the picture. TVs today have a fixed resolution 720p or 1080p, the can take all resolutions but have to scale it to its native resolution by up or down scaling. Not all TVs are created equal and can take performance hits by lag or artifacts in the picture depending on how well the TV scales and processes the image. The 360 has a very good scaler built in so its always best to let your 360 do the extra work, so the TV can just display the image without extra processing of the picture. By upscaling its not adding more detail that wasn't there but double what's already there.
post #77 of 85 Old 10-03-2011, 12:39 PM

Tried this the other day and liked it. Prefer it to 2d as well.

I tried Balck Ops and did not think it was as good as the effect in Gears but maybe if I monkeyed with the setting a bit....

It is a gimmick, but a fun gimmick. The downgraded resolution was still decent to look at. I liked the 3D effect more than the lost level of detail.
post #78 of 85 Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Liked: 12
Finally tried Gears 3 in 3D. I have to say it is excellent. Best implementation I've seen so far. We can talk all day long about lower resolution, and I did notice a few jaggies, but overall it looked fantastic with zero ghosting on my Samsung 63" plasma. It ran very smoothly too. Big difference from 2D to 3D. Well done Epic!
post #79 of 85 Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

I finally got the game and tried out the 3D. I know the game's 3D has gotten mixed reviews, but considering how much I think 3D adds to games, I figured I'd end up liking it. Unfortunately, I don't. The hit to resolution is just far too much for me. Text is blurry. I also notice quite a few reprojection artifacts, such as flat objects or strangely curved streets. To me at least, the stereoscopic mode just takes a beautiful 2D game and makes it look bad in 3D.

On the plus side, I found aiming to be easier in 3D, perhaps because the enemies (literally) stand out more and are easier to distinguish from the background.

I'm surprised that some people find the resolution loss acceptable. As I wondered earlier in this thread, perhaps the fact that I have a native 720p projector plays a role? Does the game render a native (no scaling) 1080p side by side image when set to 3D? Though I doubt it, one possibility is that the game puts out a 1080p side by side image, but my projector scales that down to 720p side by side before processing it as 3D (this is with my Xbox set to 1080p of course), giving me half 720p resolution per eye. Those who have a 1080p set wouldn't have this problem, and would have half 1080p per eye.
post #80 of 85 Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 AM

anyone else care to comment on the 3D in gears of war?
i read reviews saying its poor since the graphics take a huge hit and other reviews saying tis awesome .. this reminds me of the resident evil after life reviews where one side said ti had great depth and the other said they didnt see any depth .. strange

i saw similar reviews on Crysis 2 in regards to the 3D

i am curious

also ... anyone know when the xbox will get the sterescopic 3D firmware update? and if Gears Of War 3 could have a patch to make it stereocopic instead of SBS?
post #81 of 85 Old 11-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I finally finished Gears of War 3 last night after completing Batman Arkam City the night before. While I enjoyed both games the 3D is better in GoW 3 as it has more depth.I am buying Uncharted 3 next for PS3 which I have to finish before 11-11-11. I sit 10' from my 92" DLP so the 3D is awesome.

I believe the Dashboard was updated some time ago as the 3DTV option is there now.
post #82 of 85 Old 11-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Like perfectdark I'm curious about what accounts for the difference in reviews of the game's 3D. I wonder if this is part of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

While I enjoyed both games the 3D is better in GoW 3 as it has more depth.

Perhaps people who like the 3D are reacting positively to the depth. I agree the game has good depth and the 3D itself is quite obvious. My problem is with the resolution rather than the 3D effect itself. Maybe it just depends on what people want to see more (or what they happen to react visually more to), 3D depth vs image resolution.
post #83 of 85 Old 11-04-2011, 04:52 AM

Ok, so i'm not sure what some of the posters are referrign too. I just got my 3D-XL so i tried out Gears Of War 3D with my HD66 projector on 110" screen and since i had just finished watching storage wars, these are the thoughts that came to my mind

Darrell Sheets: "That's the WOW Factor"
Dave Hester: "Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup"
Barry Weiss: "Gotta get my hands on that"
Jarrod Schutz: "Thats shelf filling all day, baby"
Dan Dotson " Sooooooooooooooold"

Gears Of War 3 in 3D on the XBOX360 using the Optoma 3D-XL with HD66 projector and Optoma glasses is nothing short of outstanding. I never even adjusted the in game 3D intensity slider and the depth this game shows is on a whole nothing level when compared to any other xbox360 3D game i've played. Whent he Locust appear and you turn to engage them... they appear to be miles away and you can feel the distance when closing in on them. Aiming is greatly improved with the 3D effect, no strain on the eyes, even with fast moving action. The game takes a resolution hit, at least that's what i read, but i thought it looked spectacular in 3D. Bottom line, there is no reason to play this game in 2D, when the obvious better option is in 3D. This is a showcase for SBS Xbox360 3D gaming hands down.
post #84 of 85 Old 11-06-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 135
There's one scene where you launch a fireball from a launcher and the camera follows the fireball to its target. In 3D, it is just insane! I find gears to be overall good in 3D, but there is definitely room for improvement. As said above, the text is difficult to read, and it has the jaggies. The sense of depth, though, far outweighs those minor quips.

post #85 of 85 Old 11-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

There's one scene where you launch a fireball from a launcher and the camera follows the fireball to its target. In 3D, it is just insane! I find gears to be overall good in 3D, but there is definitely room for improvement. As said above, the text is difficult to read, and it has the jaggies. The sense of depth, though, far outweighs those minor quips.

I just played that level ......awesome
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page