Need opinions on what 3D BD's to buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
my collection of 3d movies is slim. i have the shrek collection, avatar, re3 and my bloody valentine.i received a nice bonus today from bb for buying some stuff.anyone recommend a good 3d movie to use it towards? i read reviews on some 3d movies on a different site but would rather hear my avs members opinions.
was thinking either megamind, httyd, lk, tangled, or some kind of live acting. thanks

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a very small # of titles currently. Bolt, Alice, Resident Evil, Tangled, Green Hornet, Yogi Bear, Ultimate Wave Tahiti and Gnomeo and Julliet.

By far, Tangled is my favorite. I have no problem watching that movie over and over in 3D. The story is interesting enough and the picture quality + 3D are top notch.

Believe it or not Yogi Bear is probably 2nd on my list. The story is average at best but it has some of the best 3D scenes out of anything I've seen on my 3DTV.

Some of the others in my collection I've yet to watch from beginning to end in 3D.

I recently ordered Drive Angry and am looking for a deal on Under The Sea. I've read good things about each of these titles.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-31-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Megamind and Monsters vs. Aliens are two of my favorite 3D BluRays and both will be available at Best Buy in September. Good 3D and storylines that are just as accessible to adults as children.

Tahiti: Ultimate Wave, Dinosaurs Alive, Grand Canyon, Giants of the Patagonia and Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs are all solid budget Imax titles ($15-$20 each at BB) with good 3D. They are primarily educational in nature and rather short (45 minutes each) but there is a lot of good 3D eye candy in each.

Hubble: 3D and Space Station 3D are more expensive Imax titles. Again, they are educational in nature and on the short side but the 3D is absolutely outstanding (outer space and 3D just work great together).

In terms of live action movies, Alice in Wonderland and Priest are entertaining and both have some good 3D moments. Both are post-conversions (ie. not natively shot in 3D) but still feature nice depth and interesting designs.

Those would be the standouts from my collection.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-31-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Browse this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1293385

My votes would be for:
Documentary: Under the Sea
Animation: Tangled, Legend of the Guardians
Live Action: Avatar (exclusive)

I just watched Nightmare Before Christmas last night, and it looks reaaly good as well, but more "depth" than "pop" if that matters to you.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page