Cave of Forgotten Dreams (Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray Combo) (2011 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 09-21-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
robdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Redondo BEACH CA.
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazon just sent me a release a date for this 3D movie This title will be released on November 29, 2011 List Price: $34.98
Price: $31.49
Deal Price:
You Save: $3.49 (10%)
robdman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 Old 09-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Senior Member
 
thebat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdman View Post

Amazon just sent me a release a date for this 3D movie This title will be released on November 29, 2011 List Price: $34.98
Price: $31.49
Deal Price:
You Save: $3.49 (10%)

Sweet, thx, I just pre ordered it!
thebat68 is offline  
post #3 of 48 Old 09-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's this movie about?
markmathers is offline  
post #4 of 48 Old 09-22-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

What's this movie about?

I forgot!
jbug is offline  
post #5 of 48 Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

What's this movie about?

I have discovered this unbelievable web site. It actually finds what you type in and is faster that typing/posting the question on this site. It's called Google. Do you feel lucky?
William is offline  
post #6 of 48 Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow good up. Google. I'll try it. Actually I am on my phone so it is actually easier for me to ask the question on this thread while I'm on it n keep it movin rather than open the browser and search on google. Besides that it really ain't that serious. I noticed ur lil smiley face at the end of ur post so I won't take too much offense
markmathers is offline  
post #7 of 48 Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's a feature length documentary about ancient cave drawings in France.
Steve P. is offline  
post #8 of 48 Old 09-22-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The doccumentary about the oldest known human created cave drawings sounds intense for sure.

All 5 people in the world that seen it at the theater seem to like it very much.
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
post #9 of 48 Old 09-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

It's a feature length documentary about ancient cave drawings in France.

Thank you sir!
markmathers is offline  
post #10 of 48 Old 09-24-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
R Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 1,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

All 5 people in the world that seen it at the theater seem to like it very much.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...ttendreams.htm

The (many more than 5) people at the showing I attended did indeed like it very much. It ran for quite a few weeks here.
R Johnson is offline  
post #11 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It was joke son... MDB has it listed at $112K or so for opening weekend in the US I think when I looked it up was all.
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
post #12 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
ferl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdman View Post

Amazon just sent me a release a date for this 3D movie This title will be released on November 29, 2011 List Price: $34.98
Price: $31.49
Deal Price:
You Save: $3.49 (10%)

Thanks for the info. I was not aware that this film existed. It looks interesting to me and it's nice to have content available thats not a fairy tale or owls in googligolly.

ferl is offline  
post #13 of 48 Old 10-08-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: everywhere
Posts: 12,671
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 67
No one has mentioned that it is a Werner Herzog film.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CINERAMAX is online now  
post #14 of 48 Old 10-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Senior Member
 
mishari84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

No one has mentioned that it is a Werner Herzog film.

what does this mean?
mishari84 is offline  
post #15 of 48 Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,099
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post

what does this mean?

It means that it is a film by Werner Herzog, the famous German director of movies such as Aguirre: The Wratch of God and (more recently) Grizzly Man.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001348/

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #16 of 48 Old 10-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
 
cbcdesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clevedon. UK
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I recognised the name then realised it was the Director who made the movie about Timothy Treadwell who "thought" he had an affinity with wild Grisly Bears and ended up getting himself and his Girl freind killed by one of them!

Interesting movie but the less said about well meaning but ultimately foolish man Treadwell, the better!
cbcdesign is offline  
post #17 of 48 Old 10-11-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,099
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

I recognised the name then realised it was the Director who made the movie about Timothy Treadwell who "thought" he had an affinity with wild Grisly Bears and ended up getting himself and his Girl freind killed by one of them!

Interesting movie but the less said about well meaning but ultimately foolish man Treadwell, the better!

Well, the point of the movie was that Treadwell was terribly naive and brought about his own death. Anyone who follows in his footsteps should also expect to get eaten by a bear. It's a cautionary tale.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #18 of 48 Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
cbcdesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clevedon. UK
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Well, the point of the movie was that Treadwell was terribly naive and brought about his own death. Anyone who follows in his footsteps should also expect to get eaten by a bear. It's a cautionary tale.

I appreciate that!

Another movie with a similar message worth watching is Into the Wild!
cbcdesign is offline  
post #19 of 48 Old 10-11-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Eaten by a bear? I dunno, we all die sometime and at least it was not a run of the mill boring way to go.... I think I'd be OK with it for myself.
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
post #20 of 48 Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,099
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Eaten by a bear? I dunno, we all die sometime and at least it was not a run of the mill boring way to go.... I think I'd be OK with it for myself.

Seems a bit of a painful way to go, don't you think?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #21 of 48 Old 10-12-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sure, but it has got to be better than how I see most people go. With a slow painful decline, where the medical treatments are as bad as the thing that is killing them, only to eventually die from what ever it was anyways.

Just additional thoughts on it is all. Very few people end up die'n truly peacefully and without pain. Or at least I don't know of many.
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
post #22 of 48 Old 10-12-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,099
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Just additional thoughts on it is all. Very few people end up die'n truly peacefully and without pain. Or at least I don't know of many.

My uncle went out about as pleasantly as you can go. In the house that he bought for his retirement, one morning he got up really early, sat down in his favorite chair on the porch to watch the sun rise, and that was it. Just drifted away.

I think I'd prefer that to being ripped apart by a bear. YMMV.

We've gotten a bit off topic here, I'm afraid.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #23 of 48 Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To bring it back on topic? I'll bank most of those that actually did these cave drawings / paintings went out real rough when it was their time.

PS: I think your uncle is the exception these days sadly enough. I wish only the best for you personally indeed. I'd be fine with the bear attack for myself.
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
post #24 of 48 Old 10-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
cbcdesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clevedon. UK
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

To bring it back on topic? I'll bank most of those that actually did these cave drawings / paintings went out real rough when it was their time.

PS: I think your uncle is the exception these days sadly enough. I wish only the best for you personally indeed. I'd be fine with the bear attack for myself.

Not for me! I would rather go in a drug induced coma thanks.
cbcdesign is offline  
post #25 of 48 Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

I have discovered this unbelievable web site. It actually finds what you type in and is faster that typing/posting the question on this site. It's called Google. Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

It's a feature length documentary about ancient cave drawings in France.

Which took less time?
javanpohl is online now  
post #26 of 48 Old 10-13-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
elmalloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
i hope ya'll using projectors instead of TVs for this 3d content

Current Projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
elmalloc is offline  
post #27 of 48 Old 10-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
NorthTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What puzzles me is how are a bunch of 2D cave drawings a good subject for 3D? Maybe they have lots of shots looking into the hole of the cave or bats flying out? Also wouldn't it be pretty dark which also does not lend itself to good 3D. Anyone seen the movie in 3D to help us justify the 3D premium for getting this otherwise interesting sounding documentary in Blu-ray 3D?
NorthTV is offline  
post #28 of 48 Old 10-14-2011, 04:15 AM
Member
 
timtationx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

i hope ya'll using projectors instead of TVs for this 3d content

.....Not everyone can afford projectors...or the real estate required to have one.
timtationx is offline  
post #29 of 48 Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,099
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

What puzzles me is how are a bunch of 2D cave drawings a good subject for 3D? Maybe they have lots of shots looking into the hole of the cave or bats flying out? Also wouldn't it be pretty dark which also does not lend itself to good 3D. Anyone seen the movie in 3D to help us justify the 3D premium for getting this otherwise interesting sounding documentary in Blu-ray 3D?

Herzog uses the 3D to emphasize how the artwork was drawn to utilize the curvature of the walls. He argues that this was an early method of providing a sense of motion to the drawings. As you move in the cave and change your angle of viewing, the animals seem to move. Combined with the flickering light and shadow from torches, this was the caveman equivalent of cinema.

The photography and 3D aren't perfect on a technical level. Due to confined space in the caves, Herzog wasn't able to bring in professional camera or lighting equipment. He had to use consumer-grade cameras and hand-held lights. However, the effect he achieves is one of the more artistic uses of 3D to date.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #30 of 48 Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
NorthTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Herzog uses the 3D to emphasize how the artwork was drawn to utilize the curvature of the walls. He argues that this was an early method of providing a sense of motion to the drawings. As you move in the cave and change your angle of viewing, the animals seem to move. Combined with the flickering light and shadow from torches, this was the caveman equivalent of cinema.

The photography and 3D aren't perfect on a technical level. Due to confined space in the caves, Herzog wasn't able to bring in professional camera or lighting equipment. He had to use consumer-grade cameras and hand-held lights. However, the effect he achieves is one of the more artistic uses of 3D to date.


Thanks! That was a most appreciated explanation and I'm glad to hear that they even allowed hand held lighting. As I understand it if you go visit the caves all you get to see is some type of mock-up as they don't even want to light the caves for the public due to concerns about degrading the drawings.
NorthTV is offline  
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off