What's up with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 ??? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 138 Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

I saw the 2nd in 3d and liked it enough to give it a go on blu-ray.

Most of the reviews I've run into really slammed the 3D, so it's interesting hearing another opinion. I'll probably cave and just get the 3D version on the 11th. It's an awkward time, since I don't yet have a 3D display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 138 Old 10-27-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack View Post

Most of the reviews I've run into really slammed the 3D, so it's interesting hearing another opinion. I'll probably cave and just get the 3D version on the 11th. It's an awkward time, since I don't yet have a 3D display.

Get the 3d combo pack, you won't regret it. I've regretted many times passing up on similar offers. Like passing up on combo blu-ray/dvd movies before I had blu-ray. Cost me a lot more to buy the blu-ray later on than it would have if I had just gotten the combo pack in the first place.
post #63 of 138 Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

Not going to "tune out" but thanks for asking. I only mention the "occupy" because someone else did earlier. I guess I get tired of 59 posts about greedy corporations, etc. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's that simple. The free market works and if companies make tragic mistakes, they will suffer loss of profit...which eventually puts them out of business. This stuff used to be taught in school. I guess not anymore...at least not in public schools. Buy or don't buy. Fine. Leave it at that.

Oh please, give me a break, dudette.

I'm not bleeding my heart out about "greedy corporations" or any of that BS. I'm saying that it stinks to hold back the 3D release of a 3D blockbuster simply to try to make a double sale.

It's as simple as that - and if you don't like my opinion, then you can just say you don't like my opinion, without trying to stuff nonsense into my mouth that I didn't say.

The practice stinks, IMO, and I've said so, and I stand by my statement and my opinion. We disagree - simple as that. It's OK by you, it's not OK by me. I'm not going to psychoanalyze you over it, so prolly best if you didn't cast a "type" over me for it either.

Yes, I'm probably a bigger 3D fan than you, as you can tell by my sig, and so I want to watch the 3D releases with my friends as soon as possible - which, when you THINK about it, is probably why I'm more offended by the practice...

FORTUNATELY, it is not happening much - with the exception of Michael Bay - most releases are being fair.

Ta... da...

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The
post #64 of 138 Old 10-27-2011, 10:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Get the 3d combo pack, you won't regret it. I've regretted many times passing up on similar offers. Like passing up on combo blu-ray/dvd movies before I had blu-ray. Cost me a lot more to buy the blu-ray later on than it would have if I had just gotten the combo pack in the first place.

I agree with this - if you're even thinking of going 3D later, you're better off getting the combo pack, so you won't kick yourself later when you have to buy it again.

The

The
post #65 of 138 Old 10-28-2011, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Oh please, give me a break, dudette.

I'm not bleeding my heart out about "greedy corporations" or any of that BS. I'm saying that it stinks to hold back the 3D release of a 3D blockbuster simply to try to make a double sale.

It's as simple as that - and if you don't like my opinion, then you can just say you don't like my opinion, without trying to stuff nonsense into my mouth that I didn't say.

The practice stinks, IMO, and I've said so, and I stand by my statement and my opinion. We disagree - simple as that. It's OK by you, it's not OK by me. I'm not going to psychoanalyze you over it, so prolly best if you didn't cast a "type" over me for it either.

Yes, I'm probably a bigger 3D fan than you, as you can tell by my sig, and so I want to watch the 3D releases with my friends as soon as possible - which, when you THINK about it, is probably why I'm more offended by the practice...

FORTUNATELY, it is not happening much - with the exception of Michael Bay - most releases are being fair.

Ta... da...

Ok. Fair enough.
post #66 of 138 Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

I agree with this - if you're even thinking of going 3D later, you're better off getting the combo pack, so you won't kick yourself later when you have to buy it again.

In terms of real world dollars, the 3D Part 2 at Best Buy comes out to about $32 with sales tax, which is a $12 premium over the movie-only $20 Blu-ray you could get online. While that "early adopter tax" feels kind of rude, it's not like the 3D version is going to get down to $12 any time soon. So I guess you guys are right.

It's scary how easy it is to justify spending $30 on a movie.
post #67 of 138 Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

In terms of real world dollars, the 3D Part 2 at Best Buy comes out to about $32 with sales tax, which is a $12 premium over the movie-only $20 Blu-ray you could get online. While that "early adopter tax" feels kind of rude, it's not like the 3D version is going to get down to $12 any time soon. So I guess you guys are right.

Yeah, 3d movies hardly ever drop below $30... here in the states. I've noticed lately that they seem to get pretty cheap over in the U.K. though. Who knows if that'll be the case with HP, but it's something to keep in mind in the future.

Oh, and (again not the case with HP) but Overstock has been having some good ($20) deals on the 3d combo packs. Captain America and Cars 2 for instance.
post #68 of 138 Old 10-28-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yeah, 3d movies hardly ever drop below $30... here in the states. I've noticed lately that they seem to get pretty cheap over in the U.K. though. Who knows if that'll be the case with HP, but it's something to keep in mind in the future.

Oh, and (again not the case with HP) but Overstock has been having some good ($20) deals on the 3d combo packs. Captain America and Cars 2 for instance.

They had Thor, Lion King, and Pirates for that price as well. They also had the Toy Story Trilogy 3D for like $62. I jumped on that along with the 2 movies you mentioned and Lion King.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #69 of 138 Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

lol - definitely. Which is why they better make sure the 3D version out on time with the other formats, if they still want the premium price.

The

The
post #70 of 138 Old 11-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

They had Thor, Lion King, and Pirates for that price as well. They also had the Toy Story Trilogy 3D for like $62. I jumped on that along with the 2 movies you mentioned and Lion King.

When do they do these deals? When I went their website to check prices they were higher than amazon on most stuff. Was this a deal of the day or something?

post #71 of 138 Old 11-04-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

When do they do these deals? When I went their website to check prices they were higher than amazon on most stuff. Was this a deal of the day or something?

It was just before the newest Pirates movie came out, at least that's when I made my orders.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #72 of 138 Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Part 1 & 2 are going to go for $22.99 each(the BB website updated the pricing earlier today) when they are released. Considering that is only $3 more than the 2D combo pack will be, I think the 3D version will be tempting to a lot of people.

My HT Gear:
Receiver - YAMAHA RX-A2010 AMP: Emotiva XPA-5
Fronts: Klipsch RF-7 ii Center: Klipsch RC-64 ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-62 ii Surround Backs: RB-81 ii
Front Presence: Klipsch RSX-4
Sub: SVS PC13-Ultra
post #73 of 138 Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualEdge View Post

Part 1 & 2 are going to go for $22.99 each(the BB website updated the pricing earlier today) when they are released. Considering that is only $3 more than the 2D combo pack will be, I think the 3D version will be tempting to a lot of people.

That is an outstanding price and I will bite on both Day 1!
post #74 of 138 Old 11-04-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualEdge View Post

Man, I already ordered a few weeks ago. I hope they adjust the price when it ships, because it still has $29.99 on my order status screen.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #75 of 138 Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Man, I already ordered a few weeks ago. I hope they adjust the price when it ships, because it still has $29.99 on my order status screen.

call them up. if you dont they will ship it the old price then you may have problems down the road. i did yesterday and they told me that they will sunday and they put it on the records that i called about it so if there is a problem i will have proof that i called.
post #76 of 138 Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Last time this happened, I e-mailed them and never got the price adjusted.

I had both 3D Potters preordered at $29.99 each, but just cancelled the order and placed a new one at the lower price. Now I'm all set for almost fifteen bucks less. I guess you could try contacting them and getting them to adjust the price, but simply cancelling and reordering takes only seconds and then you'll know you're fine.

: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #77 of 138 Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

Last time this happened, I e-mailed them and never got the price adjusted.

I had both 3D Potters preordered at $29.99 each, but just cancelled the order and placed a new one at the lower price. Now I'm all set for almost fifteen bucks less. I guess you could try contacting them and getting them to adjust the price, but simply cancelling and reordering takes only seconds and then you'll know you're fine.

I did the same thing, except now it's costing me more out of pocket because I had $30 in reward zone certificates that didn't get restored for some reason when I cancelled.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #78 of 138 Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

I did the same thing, except now it's costing me more out of pocket because I had $30 in reward zone certificates that didn't get restored for some reason when I cancelled.

Same here. I called them and it takes 3 to 5 days to get the points back.
post #79 of 138 Old 11-05-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post

Same here. I called them and it takes 3 to 5 days to get the points back.

Well my certificate expired the 12th, so we'll see if I even can get it by then.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #80 of 138 Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Was this filmed in 3D or is it a 2D to 3D conversion?
post #81 of 138 Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It was converted.
post #82 of 138 Old 11-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Conversion I believe
post #83 of 138 Old 11-09-2011, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have many 3D movies and was considering the 3D version of this.

However, many reviews slammed the 3D on Part 2 and said it was a bad conversion, stating the 2D version was better.

In addition, the actor who plays Harry Potter states he prefers the 2D edition of part 7 and that 3D is just a gimmick in this movie.

To top it off, Amazon has PART1 on sale for 9.99, while it will cost you 22.99 for part1 in 3-D next week... I'm sure part2 2D will drop to ~9.99 in the next couple of months also like all Warner and Harry Potter films have. 3D versions, probably not.

In the end, this looks like it would be a waste to spend extra money on the 3D editions. It appears it was not filmed with 3-D in mind and the conversion was a poor job resulting in a worse experience. Not to mention Harry Potter himself says to get 2D, lol, so thats what I did for this movie.
post #84 of 138 Old 11-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

It's doubtful Part 2 will get to $9.99 for quite a long time. Remember that Warner Brothers is placing all the HP movies on a moratorium at the end of December ( DVD, Blu-ray and 3D ).

My personal feeling is that with the best Buy price of $22.00 for the 3D combo pack, it is worth it to me, so a no brainer, but I understand other people feeling it is too high a price. I just remember a year ago, when almost every 3D title was $39.99, a lot of us were wishing against all hope that release day titles would get this low ($22).

Just my $0.02

Jeff
post #85 of 138 Old 11-09-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffden View Post

It's doubtful Part 2 will get to $9.99 for quite a long time. Remember that Warner Brothers is placing all the HP movies on a moratorium at the end of December ( DVD, Blu-ray and 3D ).

My personal feeling is that with the best Buy price of $22.00 for the 3D combo pack, it is worth it to me, so a no brainer, but I understand other people feeling it is too high a price. I just remember a year ago, when almost every 3D title was $39.99, a lot of us were wishing against all hope that release day titles would get this low ($22).

Just my $0.02

Yea, I remember $34.99 for 3D titles was a "great" price.

I have gotten a handful of titles this year for $20-22 at or near release (without importing it!), and it's been great.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #86 of 138 Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffden View Post

Just my $0.02

So all the Harry potter movies will eventually get converted to 3D? Is that correct? Any idea when that will happen?
post #87 of 138 Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

So all the Harry potter movies will eventually get converted to 3D? Is that correct? Any idea when that will happen?

That is the plan to maxmize revenue.

However, given the shoddy results of Part 2's conversion, the fact that none of the movies were shot with 3-D in mind at all, and the movie's cast dissing 3D, the question is why would you want to buy said 3D versions?

Even Harry Potter himself said the movie was designed to be seen in 2D. If you believe in OAR, etc, it is pretty clear that this series is meant to be experienced in 2D and Warner's 3D conversion is just a cash grab gimmick.

Note that I do support the $22 price for a 3D title, however for this title specifically based on the cast's comments as well as the reviews it is pretty clear it is an experience meant to be seen in 2D.

If you don't have all of the other 3D titles out there, I would spend your money on some of those instead that would give a better experience. Right now at Best Buy you can get Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, G-Force, and Chicken Little all in 3-D altogether for $80+tax. Also Toy Story 1-3 is still 29.99 and the buy 4/save 40, buy 2/save 10 applies to them as well. Plus Amazon has HP7 2D part 1 for $10 and part2 2D on preorder for 18.
post #88 of 138 Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

That is the plan to maxmize revenue.

However, given the shoddy results of Part 2's conversion, the fact that none of the movies were shot with 3-D in mind at all, and the movie's cast dissing 3D, the question is why would you want to buy said 3D versions?

Even Harry Potter himself said the movie was designed to be seen in 2D. If you believe in OAR, etc, it is pretty clear that this series is meant to be experienced in 2D and Warner's 3D conversion is just a cash grab gimmick.

Note that I do support the $22 price for a 3D title, however for this title specifically based on the cast's comments as well as the reviews it is pretty clear it is an experience meant to be seen in 2D.

If you don't have all of the other 3D titles out there, I would spend your money on some of those instead that would give a better experience. Right now at Best Buy you can get Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, G-Force, and Chicken Little all in 3-D altogether for $80+tax. Also Toy Story 1-3 is still 29.99 and the buy 4/save 40, buy 2/save 10 applies to them as well. Plus Amazon has HP7 2D part 1 for $10 and part2 2D on preorder for 18.

Thanks for all the info. I saw the final Harry potter in 3D at a sh**ty theater and was underwhelmed. I've heard good things about the blu ray though.
About the best buy deal, does the buy 2 save $10 apply to the g force, chicken little, etc. movies as well as the toy story movies?
post #89 of 138 Old 11-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

About the best buy deal, does the buy 2 save $10 apply to the g force, chicken little, etc. movies as well as the toy story movies?

yes, Sunday ad page 37.
post #90 of 138 Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you!
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page