What's up with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 138 Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Warner Brothers announced the Blu-ray release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 on 11/11, with no mention of release of the 3-D version of the film. Does this show a new disinterest by Warner in releasing to a niche market?

Anyone else notice that the 3-D editions of Captain America and Thor are both labeled Limited Edition. There just seems a real disinterest in promoting the 3-D editions of last summer's hits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Aren't those 3 movies conversions? Maybe that's doing the 3d market a favor.
post #3 of 138 Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 AM

Liked: 10
Did you say exclusive???? On the Amazon U.K. site this is already listed for pre-sale.but this article was released yesterday

SAN DIEGO, September 22, 2011 – Sony announced today that beginning November 11, with the purchase of select Sony 3D products, consumers will receive the “Harry Potter 3D Experience” with a Blu-ray 3D™ of the Warner Bros. blockbusters 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows™ Part 1’ and ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows™ Part 2.' The exclusive bundles also include a 2D Blu-ray Disc™ of each film and digital movie vouchers to enjoy the 2D versions of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone™ and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets™ on compatible devices through Video Unlimited on the Sony Entertainment Network or PlayStation® Store.

This exclusive “Harry Potter 3D Experience” will be available to consumers who purchase Sony’s BDP-S780 Blu-ray Disc player with 3D or BDV-E580 Blu-ray 3D home theater system. Additionally, the same Harry Potter 3D titles will be bundled with two pairs of Sony active 3D glasses, TDG-BR250/DBL, as a “3D starter kit.”

*To watch the movies via Video Unlimited on Sony Entertainment Network, use selected models of BRAVIA® LCD TVs, Blu-ray Disc players, Blu-ray Disc home theater systems and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. To watch the movie(s) via PlayStation® Store, use PlayStation®3.
post #4 of 138 Old 09-23-2011, 05:41 AM

Liked: 13
At least we know Sony keeps its exclusives for a short time, Alice and Narnia 3D versions came out over a month later. Better than Samsung with what seems like lifetime exclusives.
post #5 of 138 Old 09-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

Warner Brothers announced the Blu-ray release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 on 11/11, with no mention of release of the 3-D version of the film. Does this show a new disinterest by Warner in releasing to a niche market?

Anyone else notice that the 3-D editions of Captain America and Thor are both labeled Limited Edition. There just seems a real disinterest in promoting the 3-D editions of last summer's hits.

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/4767

Apparently Warner Bros. did announce the Blu Ray 3D pack along with the Blu ray and DVD release. It also seems that the exclusivity won't last very long for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 as this link says it's going to be released Dec. 2nd.

And as for your concern about the "Limited Edition" print on the 3D Blu ray of Thor or Captain America, it's unfounded. Limited, Exclusive, Diamond, Platnium, Collectors, etc.. Edition are just buzz words used by the industry to convince people to buy the movie early at a higher price rather then wait for stores to get desperate and put them in the sale rack.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Limited aspect of these editions is that later on down the road they may repackage these movies minus the Digital Copy and DVD to release it at a more competitive price. Or they might just plan on repackaging them in general when Avengers is released in theaters next year.

It's all a marketing game. 3D is not gonna replace 2D but I see it as becoming a standard feature for many big blockbuster movies that will be used occasionally for certain movies by consumers.
post #6 of 138 Old 09-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Liked: 44
Update: According to Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits, Warner has said that Walmart does not have an exclusive on individual 3D Blu-rays for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and that the pre-order listing found on the retail chain's website was in error.
post #7 of 138 Old 09-23-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Think I'll just order both via Amazon UK. They're region-free.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #8 of 138 Old 09-23-2011, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Think I'll just order both via Amazon UK. They're region-free.

Thank you for the tip; just pre-ordered from Amazon, UK
post #9 of 138 Old 09-24-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How much extra is the shipping from Amazon UK?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #10 of 138 Old 09-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
It's not much; far less than from the European Amazon sites. I order from them all the time. You also get the VAT deducted if you live in the US. Packages usualy arrive in 7-10 days.
post #11 of 138 Old 09-26-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Ordered HP Deathly Hallows2 3D from AmazonUK, and added another BD I wanted (Tudors Season 4). Net result, with VAT deduction and shipping, I'm paying about US$22 for the HP 3D BD set. I'm OK with that!

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #12 of 138 Old 09-26-2011, 07:11 AM

Yeah I'll order mine from UK as well I just came here to see if anyone knew why 3D versions were only available for preorder in UK and got my reason.
post #13 of 138 Old 09-26-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I may do the same thing. What is the best option for Part 1? I know it is a conversion, but do not know if the 3D version is worth the extra $$ or not. I don't even have my new 3D Projector yet, but I am already working up a collection of 3D movies.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #14 of 138 Old 09-26-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the Amazon UK update. Will definitely be buying off of this site for the HP 3D BDs.
post #15 of 138 Old 09-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

How much extra is the shipping from Amazon UK?

I've not ordered anything outside of the US before, but I ordered HP part 2 3D just for grins. Movie was LBS 12.73 / shipping was LBS 3.08 / total was LBS 15.81. I used an online conversion tool to convert LBS to USD and if the conversion is accurate the movie is $19.75 / shipping $4.78 / total $24.53. If that conversion is accurate $25 is a pretty good deal.

post #16 of 138 Old 09-27-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

I may do the same thing. What is the best option for Part 1? I know it is a conversion, but do not know if the 3D version is worth the extra $$ or not. I don't even have my new 3D Projector yet, but I am already working up a collection of 3D movies.

Pt 1 is just as much a conversion as Pt 2, AFAIK. Pt 2 might have been done better (refined technique after practicing on Pt1), but both converted after filming.

Pt 1 in 3D is more expensive, for some reason, from the UK. Pricing strategy of some type regarding Pt 2 driving the price down on that and not Pt 1, I guess.

For now, since I have Pt 1 in 2D, I will not bother to get it in 3D. But if it shows up ~US$18 I might pick it up.

shinksma

post #17 of 138 Old 09-27-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

I've not ordered anything outside of the US before, but I ordered HP part 2 3D just for grins. Movie was LBS 12.73 / shipping was LBS 3.08 / total was LBS 15.81. I used an online conversion tool to convert LBS to USD and if the conversion is accurate the movie is $19.75 / shipping $4.78 / total $24.53. If that conversion is accurate $25 is a pretty good deal.

That seems about right. I ordered something else with HP DH Pt 2, so my shipping, amortized over both items, results in a lower cost per item.

shinksma

post #18 of 138 Old 09-27-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thank you for the head's up on exclusivity and ordering via UK Amazon. Just ordered Part II and it will "dispatched" to my address in mid December.

post #19 of 138 Old 09-27-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

From Digital Bits:

[Editor's Note: We've heard from a retail source that - in addition to Sony's 3D hardware exclusive on Part I - the Blu-ray 3D versions of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 AND Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 may be available exclusively in Best Buy stores on 11/11. They're not on Best Buy.com yet and we're waiting for confirmation from WHV on this, so stay tuned.]

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #20 of 138 Old 09-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Update: According to Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits, Warner has said that Walmart does not have an exclusive on individual 3D Blu-rays for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and that the pre-order listing found on the retail chain's website was in error.

Eh? I was about to give out a Vaderian "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" but the listing is still up at Wal-Mart. Could this be a bit of inaccurate hearsay? Afterall, Bluray.com conversely stated that WM had rights to it.
post #21 of 138 Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 PM

From Bill Hunt today:

"All right, we have confirmation from retail sources that Best Buy will have an exclusive Blu-ray 3D version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 on 11/11 (SRP $29.99). They may also have an exclusive Blu-ray 3D version of Part 1 as well. We'll let you know as soon as we can confirm."
post #22 of 138 Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergrass View Post

From Bill Hunt today:

"All right, we have confirmation from retail sources that Best Buy will have an exclusive Blu-ray 3D version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 on 11/11 (SRP $29.99). They may also have an exclusive Blu-ray 3D version of Part 1 as well. We'll let you know as soon as we can confirm."

Thanks!!
post #23 of 138 Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

It's not much; far less than from the European Amazon sites. I order from them all the time. You also get the VAT deducted if you live in the US. Packages usualy arrive in 7-10 days.

can you help me out i ordered both hp 3d`s for the total of 36.79 from amazon.co.uk. i get mixed up on how to figure if its british pound or euro. so if the total is 36.79 how much would that cost me in u.s dollars. thanks. have a nice day
post #24 of 138 Old 10-04-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1 View Post

can you help me out i ordered both hp 3d`s for the total of 36.79 from amazon.co.uk. i get mixed up on how to figure if its british pound or euro. so if the total is 36.79 how much would that cost me in u.s dollars. thanks. have a nice day

Based on the symbol preceding the dollar amount, it seems Amazon.co.uk uses pounds, which is the UK's official currency.

There's a super easy way to convert dollar amounts, right through Google.

By typing "36.79 pounds to dollars" into Google, it gives a result of "36.79 British pounds sterling = 56.7670 US dollars."
post #25 of 138 Old 10-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergrass View Post

From Bill Hunt today:

You can thank me for the 11/11 release date. My order on Amazon UK caused the earlier release date in the US It's the same luck I have at the grocery store. No matter which checkout aisle I choose, the people in front of me will need a price check, possess a binder packed with coupons and then pay with a check.

post #26 of 138 Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryBoyUSA View Post

Based on the symbol preceding the dollar amount, it seems Amazon.co.uk uses pounds, which is the UK's official currency.

There's a super easy way to convert dollar amounts, right through Google.

By typing "36.79 pounds to dollars" into Google, it gives a result of "36.79 British pounds sterling = 56.7670 US dollars."

thanks for the help have a nice day
post #27 of 138 Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Part 1 is listed on BB site as 11/11 release.
post #28 of 138 Old 10-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Another Bill Hunt update:

"Also today, The Digital Bits has officially confirmed that Best Buy will have a retail exclusive on Warner's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2 on Blu-ray starting on 11/11. You won't have to buy hardware to get them. Pre-orders for Part 1 are already open on the Best Buy website for just $29.99. Part 2 isn't up yet but should be soon. You SHOULD find both titles advertised in this weekend's Sunday Best Buy newspaper insert."
post #29 of 138 Old 10-18-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack View Post

Another Bill Hunt update:

"Also today, The Digital Bits has officially confirmed that Best Buy will have a retail exclusive on Warner's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2 on Blu-ray starting on 11/11. You won't have to buy hardware to get them. Pre-orders for Part 1 are already open on the Best Buy website for just $29.99. Part 2 isn't up yet but should be soon. You SHOULD find both titles advertised in this weekend's Sunday Best Buy newspaper insert."

Are you talking the 3d versions?
post #30 of 138 Old 10-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

Are you talking the 3d versions?

One has to infer that, but yes. The link at the site goes to the 3D version of Part 1 at bestbuy.com, he mentions not having to buy hardware, plus the $30 price tag is a hint.

I did e-mail Bill to suggest that mentioning the 3D thing might be good for clarity.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page