Seriously... are they TRYING to kill Bluray 3D, or are they just stupid? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 137 Old 10-19-2011, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-Dawson View Post

To the OP - good post.

To everyone else who felt the need to comment on "not being interested in 3D" or "being annoyed at having to wear glasses" - what are you doing in this thread?

Thank you I was thinking the same thing..lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 Old 10-19-2011, 03:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

2D BD releases months before the 3D BD releases: They're just milking it, plain and simple. They don't release the 3D versions at the same time as the 2D versions, because the 3D versions also contain the 2D version. They want to sell both. If they released the 3D version right off the bat, there would be no selling a 2D only version, becasue people can get that in the 3D version. They want two sell two SKUs, this is how they do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Most people WOULD already buy the 2D version, because a minority of BD owners are equipped with 3D. And the VHS and DVD versions of movies were separate SKUs also - that has NOTHNG to do with them having different release dates.

Further, it is NOT ok for us to accept that 3D is just another version that can be saved for later release as a double dip, like a directors cut. Fundamentally that is totally wrong and few people would buy into the format on that basis.

It is NOT the same as getting a later version with some extras. BD 3D is a format in it's own right, and to withhold a 3D movie in it's native 3D presentation, just to milk BD 3D adopters is patently wrong, is a total anti-sell, and would absolutely anger adopters of the format.

I believe that most BD 3D owners are in agreement with my complaint.

Seems to me the only folks that would say that this practice is ok are those who are not invested in BD 3D.

I agree with you that its a terrible annoying practice to milk consumers for all they can.

You're missing the fact that 3D disks will work fine in old 2D players. Really, it's hard to sell the 2D-only product if you release the 3D version at same time. The 3D version has it all right off the go, it'll play in 2D in old players, and would be future compatible.

VHS vs DVD vs Bluray never had this backward compatible feature. That allowed them to have sell both SKUs at the same launch. BD3D is backward compatible, hence the staggering of the launch.

This is absolutely about greed, and I'm with you that it shouldn't be done. You're right, its a bad time for them to be so rude when the format needs more adopters.
post #123 of 137 Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Nope - refuse to bee "encouraged" to buy both versions - it smacks of sheer greed.

On principle alone, withholding the 3D version in an attempt to move more copies of the 2D version, while disappointing buyers who wanted the 3D version, should NOT be rewarded with a double sale.

Happy that you got the 2D version for your mom - but I'm not rewarding greedy tactics like this, nor should the majority of 3D Bluray supporters accept this practice.

It is patently distasteful, which is obvious to most sensible folks.

With their included coupons, and other rebates, plus selling the 2D version, I'll be making over $10 off the Transformers double dip. Worked out well for this consumer!
post #124 of 137 Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-Dawson View Post

To the OP - good post.

To everyone else who felt the need to comment on "not being interested in 3D" or "being annoyed at having to wear glasses" - what are you doing in this thread?

It cracks me up how they go out of their way to comment how 3d is gimmicky and will soon die, they are not intrested in wearing glasses, and are always posting on 3d threads. I don't care for the new DLP 3D tv's, so you won't find me reading or posting on their threads.
post #125 of 137 Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 AM

Scene from The Jerk

Navin R. Johnson: [bleakly] I've already given away eight pencils, two hoola dolls, and an ashtray, and I've only taken in fifteen dollars.

Frosty: Navin, you have taken in fifteen dollars and given away fifty cents worth of crap, which gives us a net profit of fourteen dollars and fifty cents.

Navin R. Johnson: Ah... It's a profit deal. Takes the pressure off. Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!

Studios double,triple,... dip to make money. The versions you want will come out, you just have to wait it out and don't buy the "crap".
post #126 of 137 Old 11-11-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

People just do not care about 3D that much. The numbers at the movies tell us so (outside of Avatar).

Now let's compare how many theaters are set up for 3D and how many are strictly 2D. From that standpoint, 3D is doing amazingly well, and is still very profitable. Hence the reason for at least 40 movies being released next year in 3D. I was a hater, but now I'm a lover. Bring on the 3D!!!!

post #127 of 137 Old 11-15-2011, 04:51 PM

I am very interested in 3D and do not mind the glasses. We bought an LG passive 3D and a PS3 system. We love 3D a lot but we are very disappointed. We have Comcast cable and they claim to have two 3D channels. Yeah they have them and they come in just fine on the Tivo 3. While I knew there were only a handful of 3D movies we were interested in we had hoped that Comcast channels would be great until more movies were available. Hah, what a joke. Infinity 3D and ESPN 3D has almost no programming. We were excited the first couple of days then we found that maybe ten hours of programming repeated over and over on Indinity and ESPN mostly old college football games and junk. I see they plan to have a few basketball games on. Whoop de do. And I look at the list of 2011 and 2012 movies that will come out. Pathetic. I cannot recommend to friends 3D TV because it is like having a powerful computer and no applications. It is a good TV for 2D stuff so we will keep it. We are retired and not about to get the children's movies so there is very little 3D stuff to look at. I am surprised not to have found out that info earlier here on AVS, I may have not have gotten this 3D set to complement my 60" Kuro. No wonder 3D sets are not selling.
post #128 of 137 Old 11-15-2011, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
3D gaming should gain traction as a major driver of 3DTV sales. Lots of big name 3D games released recently for the PS3 and the XBox. Given you are retired, that may not interest you either though...
post #129 of 137 Old 11-16-2011, 05:33 AM

Liked: 14
I'm not sure exactly what you were expecting for 3D material. 80% of the movies are cartoon releases (My girlfriend and I are almost 40 with no kids and enjoyed almost all of them). With a 3DTV you watch 95% of regular programming and 5% 3DTV unless you have a gaming system. It seems roughly 2-4 movies come out every week that are 3D and almost all of them are worth watching to me. If you have HBO and Stars they usually have 5-7 different 3-D movies on demand each month.
post #130 of 137 Old 11-28-2011, 02:19 PM

Liked: 15
Just saw the trailer for Titanic... looked incredible! Based on what I saw, I would spend the money on this "re-release"... Cameron does it right. But how many of us want to replace our video library? Lord of the Rings? Die Hard(s)? Leathal Weapon(s)? Star Trek(s)? Saving Private Ryan? Gone with the Wind? Wizard of Oz? The list of movies that may benefit from the 3D conversion is vast, but I'm not sure people will pay the money for the theaterical release, especially if they are going to possible purchase the Bluray when it is re-released.
This could get incredibly expensive to own several copies of the same material... (hint, Star Wars!)
post #131 of 137 Old 11-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Just saw the trailer for Titanic... looked incredible! Based on what I saw, I would spend the money on this "re-release"... Cameron does it right. But how many of us want to replace our video library? Lord of the Rings? Die Hard(s)? Leathal Weapon(s)? Star Trek(s)? Saving Private Ryan? Gone with the Wind? Wizard of Oz? The list of movies that may benefit from the 3D conversion is vast, but I'm not sure people will pay the money for the theaterical release, especially if they are going to possible purchase the Bluray when it is re-released.
This could get incredibly expensive to own several copies of the same material... (hint, Star Wars!)

I doubt you'll ever have to worry about the Die Hards or Lethal Weapons.
post #132 of 137 Old 11-29-2011, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just heard the other day that all the BIG stakeholders in 3D technology have agreed to come out with a standardized format for ALL 3D consumer home displays. This is excellent news for those hoping 3D is not just a fad!!! When the heavyweights like Samsung,Sony and Panasonic agree to adopt a standarzied format only good can come of the overall confusing current 3D marketplace, remember these companies have invested millions into the technology. Adopting a standard is kind of like the deal when HD DVD's vs BluRay war was going on a few years back and even Beta vs. VHS in the video cassette days. I was very excited to hear the news!

post #133 of 137 Old 12-20-2011, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
As a note, no sign of the 3D version of Transformers on Bluray yet, despite various guesses.

End of the year is here.

Way to go, Michael Bay.
post #134 of 137 Old 12-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:

As a note, no sign of the 3D version of Transformers on Bluray yet, despite various guesses.

End of the year is here.

Way to go, Michael Bay.

It's been officially announced for January 31, 2012
post #135 of 137 Old 12-20-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

It's been officially announced for January 31, 2012

Thanks Lee.

I guess the studio or Bay are trying to outsmart themselves by releasing AFTER Christmas...

And it's still not up for pre-order on Amazon... Odd
post #136 of 137 Old 12-20-2011, 08:08 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

Thanks Lee.

I guess the studio or Bay are trying to outsmart themselves by releasing AFTER Christmas...

And it's still not up for pre-order on Amazon... Odd

IMO, I don't believe the release date will have any effect on it's sales success. The 3D BD 3DTV install base isn't big enough.
post #137 of 137 Old 12-21-2011, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

IMO, I don't believe the release date will have any effect on it's sales success. The 3D BD 3DTV install base isn't big enough.

I pretty much agree. Which makes me ask the sane question (broken record I know): since it makes no real difference in sales why wouldn't they just have released it on time with the other formats instead of just p'ing off 3D owners who were waiting for it.

This was just a dumb strategy from inception. It should have been released on time with the other formats.

It gives the appearance that Bay thinks it is the greatest 3D release "evah" and that the hordes will be waiting...
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page