Uncharted 3 is in 3D?! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 123 Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Youtube video of 3D really sucks for some reason, i dont know if it the low depth people often record at or the low resolution, but they dont even come close to the experience i get on my 3dtv.

Note to Sony owners: Also try upping the "picture" setting for increased brightness, as well as the gamma setting in advanced settings. I up these [and mess with others] until the scene looks life-like....and wait to do this until after your eyes have adjusted.

Oh and might as well put this here: I noticed the NX810 had about as much crosstalk as the EX720 series i tested, which is very, very high for some odd reason. My NX711 has about as much crosstalk as the D8000 going by the crosstalk comparison photos Digitalversus does in their reviews. For the record, supposedly the Toshiba wx800u, the Sharp le835 and the Phillips 9000 series have the lowest crosstalk for LCDs. The Phillips approaching plasma levels and is almost non-existent according to digitalverus's tests and the trustedreviews review.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 123 Old 11-06-2011, 04:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshaws View Post

Been searching the internet and it appears on Naughty Dog Forum that like me some can't get the 3d to work.

Have a Mits 73838, hdmi directly into the TV. 3d movies play fine on the ps3.

But I get the 3d splash screen warnings when game loads, but go to the Display Option in the game and 3d option does not show up, just brightness and default.

Anyone have any suggestions or heard of a reason that I'm not getting 3d?

Thanks in advance

Make sure you're checking the display options while still in the game main menu pre- save load. It's gone once you start.

Fwiw I have a mits 65738 with hdmi to TV and have no issues.
post #63 of 123 Old 11-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

Youtube video of 3D really sucks for some reason, i dont know if it the low depth people often record at or the low resolution, but they dont even come close to the experience i get on my 3dtv.

Note to Sony owners: Also try upping the "picture" setting for increased brightness, as well as the gamma setting in advanced settings. I up these [and mess with others] until the scene looks life-like....and wait to do this until after your eyes have adjusted.

Oh and might as well put this here: I noticed the NX810 had about as much crosstalk as the EX720 series i tested, which is very, very high for some odd reason. My NX711 has about as much crosstalk as the D8000 going by the crosstalk comparison photos Digitalversus does in their reviews. For the record, supposedly the Toshiba wx800u, the Sharp le835 and the Phillips 9000 series have the lowest crosstalk for LCDs. The Phillips approaching plasma levels and is almost non-existent according to digitalverus's tests and the trustedreviews review.

I tried every settings including the ones you suggested. It doesn't improve some chapters with lots of dark indoors. it's kind of difficult to explain but stuff in the background has lots of crosstalk, very much looked like a double images, not just faint outline. it gives me headache just looking at it for a few seconds. Some chapters look good but I wouldn't say it had "wow" factor as some people were experiencing. I just can't seem to get good experience. I just stopped playing in 3D. 2D looks just better for me. just my 2 cent.
post #64 of 123 Old 11-08-2011, 09:00 AM

I'm torn on this game, I love that it supports 3D but there is a ton of ghosting/crosstalk in the cut scenes which sucks because Uncharted has a ton of cut scenes. The game play is cool, but a little dark. I will probably continue in 3D, but 3D gaming to me seems like it isn't quite ready for prime time. I haven't thoroughly enjoyed a 3D game all the way through yet
post #65 of 123 Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 AM

Has anyone played this with the samsung d8000 or d7000? I've heard they've minimal crosstalk, and would like to see what others have experienced.

Steampowered world... for a steampowered god.
post #66 of 123 Old 11-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoogs View Post

I'm torn on this game, I love that it supports 3D but there is a ton of ghosting/crosstalk in the cut scenes which sucks because Uncharted has a ton of cut scenes. The game play is cool, but a little dark. I will probably continue in 3D, but 3D gaming to me seems like it isn't quite ready for prime time. I haven't thoroughly enjoyed a 3D game all the way through yet

Exactly my thought. You must have LCD TV? Some people here with Plasma or projection seem to get better result in 3D. I cannot see myself playing this game in 3D. Crosstalk is quite distracting in cutscenes. It's a shame bc I have mid range Sony 3D TV and this is a Sony game but they can't get it right on their own TV brand.
post #67 of 123 Old 11-08-2011, 12:49 PM

I have the Panasonic PT-AE7000U projector, so yes LCD technology. Movies are great, no ghosting or crosstalk at all. We just watched Tron the other night which is dark in some parts and I didn't see any issues whatsoever. Seems like all the issues are with gaming.
post #68 of 123 Old 11-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Just gonna give my opinion on it. I first played this game on a PN58C7000, There were hadly any crosstalk ...maybe a hair in the cutscenes but not much. I have a 47" Vizio Passive TV in our game room. So I moved it in there due to the wife wanting to watch tv on other. Anyways, the crosstalk on the vizio is ridiculous, I noticed on a passive screen (first time I have used this tv with 3D content) that the angle matters GREATLY. I have it mounted on the wall and im looking up at an angle and crosstalk is ridiculous. I can stand up and get a straight view of the TV and it helps alot but still more crosstalk then the other TV. The actual game 3D doesnt really impress me either, When I first heard of Uncharted being in 3D I was thinking, that it would be awesome but tobe honest its not that great so far. Im hoping there will be scenes that are better for the 3D and maybe I havent got to the good stuff yet? But so far, the 3D is mediocre at best....:/
post #69 of 123 Old 11-08-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosemerald View Post

Has anyone played this with the samsung d8000 or d7000? I've heard they've minimal crosstalk, and would like to see what others have experienced.

I have a PN63C8000 plasma (the 2010 model of your TV) and find that if I set the 3D Viewpoint between -3 and -5 it eliminates nearly all ghosting, both in-game and with cinemas, even in areas with extreme contrast ranges.

In terms of the quality of the 3D, I've reached Chapter 11 (which I believe is the halfway point of the game) and have experienced a very consistent sense of depth throughout. There aren't too many instances of stuff popping out of the screen but the few I've seen (the laser scopes on snipers' rifles for example) work really well also. There is a very minor drop in resolution when in 3D but nowhere near as bad as Killzone 3 or Resistance 3 (which I thought looked perfectly fine in 3D).
post #70 of 123 Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Surprised by all the talk of crosstalk in the cut scenes. I didn't notice any crosstalk in the cut scenes at all, and I have a Sony LCD. A little crosstalk here and there during the game itself, but fairly infrequent and very minor.

And again, the chapter with the house burning down... AWESOME.
post #71 of 123 Old 11-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoogs View Post

I have the Panasonic PT-AE7000U projector, so yes LCD technology. Movies are great, no ghosting or crosstalk at all. We just watched Tron the other night which is dark in some parts and I didn't see any issues whatsoever. Seems like all the issues are with gaming.

The separation [3d depth] in Tron is so low that even poor performing 3d displays like Sony's EX720's dont show it much. You can see this by taking off the glasses. Full 3D causes your eyes to stare almost straight forward when viewing into the distance, requiring the images to be inches apart. My testing of Tron saw the images only a 1/4 inch apart at the very most. Combined with bloom, it made it very hard to see.
post #72 of 123 Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00CivicEx View Post

Just gonna give my opinion on it. I first played this game on a PN58C7000, There were hadly any crosstalk ...maybe a hair in the cutscenes but not much. I have a 47" Vizio Passive TV in our game room. So I moved it in there due to the wife wanting to watch tv on other. Anyways, the crosstalk on the vizio is ridiculous, I noticed on a passive screen (first time I have used this tv with 3D content) that the angle matters GREATLY. I have it mounted on the wall and im looking up at an angle and crosstalk is ridiculous. I can stand up and get a straight view of the TV and it helps alot but still more crosstalk then the other TV. The actual game 3D doesnt really impress me either, When I first heard of Uncharted being in 3D I was thinking, that it would be awesome but tobe honest its not that great so far. Im hoping there will be scenes that are better for the 3D and maybe I havent got to the good stuff yet? But so far, the 3D is mediocre at best....:/

How far are you sitting from the TV out of curiosity?
post #73 of 123 Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post

Surprised by all the talk of crosstalk in the cut scenes. I didn't notice any crosstalk in the cut scenes at all, and I have a Sony LCD. A little crosstalk here and there during the game itself, but fairly infrequent and very minor.

And again, the chapter with the house burning down... AWESOME.

You have HX720 right? Lots of crosstalk on mine even after adjusting to +1 on 3D settings. Especially cutscenes. I mentioned this on NX810 thread but my TV is kind of weird, not sure if it is defect. On a really warm day in summer crosstalk is improved a lot. I even took photo thru 3D glasses to compare and it was different. After I turn off tv to cool it down it comes back. It had to be really warm to remove crosstalk. Really weird though.
post #74 of 123 Old 11-09-2011, 01:53 PM

Well Like I said on my Samsung I saw hardly any...and you had to be really looking for it to find it. On the vizio on the hand...its unwatchable, but I have learned that vertical angle matters greatly on a passive screen. So I ordered a tilt mount.

Im sittin around 6-7ft from the screen....its in my game room which isnt the largest room in the world, so dont have enough room to backupto compensate for the angle.
post #75 of 123 Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 PM

I think it looks great in 3d but there is a huge loss of detail vs 2d mode. I went back to 2d and the game is just plain beautiful there. I'm on a vt25 and see some slight cross talk in 3d but generally good . Really wish we had the same level of detail of 2d in 3d!
post #76 of 123 Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtt777 View Post

I think it looks great in 3d but there is a huge loss of detail vs 2d mode.

I played the whole game in 3D, but I also took a look at the forest in France in 2D. I think it certainly looks more crisp in 2D, though not hugely so, not enough to make up for the loss of 3D. I'm a guy who played Gears of War 3 in 2D because I couldn't stand the resolution in 3D, so it's not that I'm not sensitive to resolution loss.

So which did you end up playing most of the game in, 2D or 3D? I'm curious what it would be like to play the whole game in 2D. I finished the game on Monday and I'm feeling Uncharted 3 withdrawal. Experiencing 2D might be a good excuse to throw it to Very Easy and blast through a second time. But I worry I'll just be missing the 3D the whole time!
post #77 of 123 Old 11-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

I'm curious what it would be like to play the whole game in 2D. I finished the game on Monday and I'm feeling Uncharted 3 withdrawal. Experiencing 2D might be a good excuse to throw it to Very Easy and blast through a second time. But I worry I'll just be missing the 3D the whole time!

So, I tried it tonight. I threw it into Easy (I have a sliver of self respect!) and started playing in 2D. Indeed the resolution appears clearer. There are other advantages for me in playing in 2D, as I use a better projector. In 3D, I use a 720p DLP projector (H5360), and in 2D I use a 1080p DLP projector (HC3800). The 2D projector as a better contrast ratio, has an invisible pixel structure thanks to 1080p, and is brighter, though even the 3D projector is bright.

(For those who want solid numbers, I get about 20 foot-lamberts in 3D behind the glasses vs about 30 in 2D; for those who don't know the numbers, it's basically bright vs brighter.)

In other words, playing in 2D has many advantages for me, beyond just the game's resolution. And yet, I only got about 20 minutes before giving up on 2D. I got as far as when you first go into the museum. I clearly remember the depth of the hall, of the cannons arranged inside, and looking through the windows to see trees beyond. It was the last straw. The 2D advantages didn't nearly make the difference for me.

(For course, if I had a display that had crosstalk my conclusion would probably be different, but DLP is flawless in that regard so crosstalk is a non-factor in this.)
post #78 of 123 Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I got my Acer 5360 yesterday and quickly did a hook everything up on a table to see if it works setup. I think the 3d will take some tweaking for me as it seems way too washed out right now.

Anyway, Uncharted 3 was the one game I could not even tell was in 3D. I set the game to stereoscopic 3d "on" and set my 5360 to DLP Link and I just felt like there was no 3d at all. I even had the slider all the way up to 100%.

Just curious is I missed something. I have tried Super Stardust HD and Killzone and in those, the 3d was overwhelmingly obvious.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
post #79 of 123 Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Im sittin around 6-7ft from the screen....its in my game room which isnt the largest room in the world, so dont have enough room to backupto compensate for the angle.

I set less than 3 ft from my 46". But im using full 3d provided by 3D vision, which i didn't think consoles had, maybe they do, but if they don't, going closer to the screen would flatten already somewhat flat 3D depth the closer you got.

Airion: Do consoles have full realistic 3D, or are they somewhat flattened, like Crysis 2 and Dues EX:HR?
post #80 of 123 Old 11-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I noticed quite a bit of crosstalk on a Vizio display at BestBuy. It was the first time I had seen that effect as I have a Samsung DLP RP, so no crosstalk or ghosting at all. I finally have a visual reference of what crosstalk is now. I guess the passive 3D displays just aren't ready for prime-time yet. A shame really, as the people who get burned on them will probably end up turned off to 3D, and when it works properly, like on a DLP, it's really amazing.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #81 of 123 Old 11-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Also, I remember sticking my head out from behind cover with some guys straight ahead trying to get them to shoot at me. The bullet trails coming out of the TV past your head are good enough to want to see them again

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #82 of 123 Old 11-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

I noticed quite a bit of crosstalk on a Vizio display at BestBuy. It was the first time I had seen that effect as I have a Samsung DLP RP, so no crosstalk or ghosting at all. I finally have a visual reference of what crosstalk is now. I guess the passive 3D displays just aren't ready for prime-time yet. A shame really, as the people who get burned on them will probably end up turned off to 3D, and when it works properly, like on a DLP, it's really amazing.

Digitalversus does crosstalk comparison photo for every 3DTV they review. Its a great reference.
post #83 of 123 Old 11-10-2011, 02:35 PM

I'm still really torn. I just started playing a couple days ago and last few times I did 3d just cause i hardly get to do anything in 3d and i do enjoy the experience. HOwever on being the best as the game i think happens in 2d and i love the detail in 2d... so torn!! i think when im feeling a bit lazy i'll play in 2d, when im not 3d it is.... it does take effort to put on the stupid glasses!
post #84 of 123 Old 11-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

Anyway, Uncharted 3 was the one game I could not even tell was in 3D. I set the game to stereoscopic 3d "on" and set my 5360 to DLP Link and I just felt like there was no 3d at all. I even had the slider all the way up to 100%.

Yep, the game seems pretty conservative, but you can indeed tweek it. Lowering the PS3's screen size setting will increase the depth for both cutscenes and in game sections, but unequally. I found that once I got it set correctly for cutscenes (specifically, the title screen) with the PS3 screen size setting, as soon as I was in control of Drake the L/R separation was ridiculously far. I moved the game's depth slider down to a few clicks short of minimum to get it right. But then when the next cutscene started, it was basically 2D. So the PS3 screen setting and the game's depth slider affect the cutscenes and in game sections in different ways. You just have to find a balance. For me, I have a 90" screen and I settled on about 75" setting on the PS3 with the game's depth set to max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

Airion: Do consoles have full realistic 3D, or are they somewhat flattened, like Crysis 2 and Dues EX:HR?

It seems every game is different, but in general you can get realistic 3D one way or another. Some games will give you full realistic 3D just by adjusting the in game depth slider. Others are more stingy and you have to cheat by telling the PS3 you have a smaller screen than you really do. By doing this I've gotten realistic 3D on pretty much every game. Then there's Uncharted 3 which works like I described above. I don't think I quite got full realistic 3D in the game, but enough that I was happy with it.
post #85 of 123 Old 11-13-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

It seems every game is different, but in general you can get realistic 3D one way or another. Some games will give you full realistic 3D just by adjusting the in game depth slider. Others are more stingy and you have to cheat by telling the PS3 you have a smaller screen than you really do. By doing this I've gotten realistic 3D on pretty much every game. Then there's Uncharted 3 which works like I described above. I don't think I quite got full realistic 3D in the game, but enough that I was happy with it.

I wish there was an easier way to do this. After reading your post I changed the TV size on the PS3 to 42" (my tv is a 55" Sony).

I then went back and played the chapter where the building is on fire. Wow. Tough to be 100% objective, but as much as I loved this chapter the first time around, suddenly the flames seemed closer, and the floating ambers were flying all around me. It did seem like there was a slight increase in eye-strain after playing for a while, but again tough to judge for sure.

I then went and changed the TV setting to 25". The effect was even slightly more pronounced. But this time crosstalk was definitely more noticeable and distracted from the gameplay.

I never even thought about changing this setting before. It brings a whole new level of possibilities, as well as confusion. Unfortunately with the time it takes to exit the game, change the setting, and then restart the game there's no way I'm going to be able to optimize the setting properly but I'm going to spend a little more time to try and refine it. This will definitely be my new go to gaming demo when people come over.
post #86 of 123 Old 11-14-2011, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It did seem like there was a slight increase in eye-strain after playing for a while, but again tough to judge for sure.

I find this to be true if my eyes haven't been getting a good 3D workout recently. I had to turn the depth down a bit the first night I played Uncharted 3, as I hadn't played any 3D games in the previous few weeks. After a few nights of playing the game though, I could turn it back up and my eyes were as happy as could be.

You're right about the confusion and inconvenience adjusting the PS3's screen size setting creates. Ideally we could just set it to the accurate size of our displays and all games would allow us to adjust depth as much as we want. Some games do this. But it puts a lot of trust in the gamer to understand how much is too much. I think they're afraid many people would just think more is better, set depth to the max, and then quickly complain of eye strain and give up (then probably go on message boards and complain about how the game has major eye strain, not recognizing it was their own fault, kind of like how people complain about games that have crosstalk when it isn't the game's fault at all). Hence a game like Uncharted 3, which plays it safe by limiting the depth but protects the the idiot masses from hurting themselves. That's my theory anyway.
post #87 of 123 Old 11-14-2011, 07:03 AM

I adjusted my screen size and it made the game turn into the 3D I thought it should be. Looks amazing now, I guess like you said they were afraid of people complaing about eye fatigue. So if the 3D Is mediocre for you, do like stated above turn tv size down in PS3 Display settings.
post #88 of 123 Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 PM

@00CivicEx How much did u adjust your screen size by? Do you do that for all 3D games or just Uncharted?
post #89 of 123 Old 11-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:

I wish there was an easier way to do this. After reading your post I changed the TV size on the PS3 to 42" (my tv is a 55" Sony).

I then went back and played the chapter where the building is on fire. Wow. Tough to be 100% objective, but as much as I loved this chapter the first time around, suddenly the flames seemed closer, and the floating ambers were flying all around me. It did seem like there was a slight increase in eye-strain after playing for a while, but again tough to judge for sure.

I then went and changed the TV setting to 25". The effect was even slightly more pronounced. But this time crosstalk was definitely more noticeable and distracted from the gameplay.

I never even thought about changing this setting before. It brings a whole new level of possibilities, as well as confusion. Unfortunately with the time it takes to exit the game, change the setting, and then restart the game there's no way I'm going to be able to optimize the setting properly but I'm going to spend a little more time to try and refine it. This will definitely be my new go to gaming demo when people come over.

Does changing the TV size improve crosstalk?
post #90 of 123 Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post

Does changing the TV size improve crosstalk?

Well from what I'm reading setting it larger will minimize the 3d effect, and should likely minimize crosstalk, while setting it smaller seems to increase the 3d effect and should increase crosstalk in vulnerable sets.

BTW, has anyone tried this on sharp's quattron 3d sets? I'm wondering if there are any issues with crosstalk in this set.

Steampowered world... for a steampowered god.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page