Uncharted 3 is in 3D?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 123 Old 10-23-2011, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Went to the Uncharted 3 AMC Theaters 3D event last night. Pretty decent event, the 3D is RIDICULOUS, probably the best 3D I've ever seen in any media (and yes, I have seen it both in theater via this event and the multiplayer beta and Subway promotion).

The best part is that I'm getting the game early (on 10/27 via Fedex, a full five days before official release) because I bought the $60 premium pass for the AMC event. Woo hoo, no midnight events around people with questionable personal hygiene habits or avoiding spoilers online for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
That's very cool. I've had this game on pre-order for what seems like a whole year (lol). I'm very glad to hear that liked the 3D. Uncharted games are the best.
post #3 of 123 Old 10-26-2011, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IGN gave this game a perfect 10
post #4 of 123 Old 10-26-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's been getting great reviews (but its Metacritic average isn't higher than Arkham City; who expected that). Strangely, none of the reviews I've read have touched on 3D.

Also, this thread is to strictly discuss the 3D aspects of it. If anyone wants to comment on the quality of the game itself, there's a thread for that in the PS3 board.
post #5 of 123 Old 10-27-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Also read a review that made no mention of the 3D. Also, I didn't know there was a 3D House of the Dead game for the PS3 with two additional levels vs. the Wii version.
post #6 of 123 Old 10-27-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

SPOILEROONIE (you've been warned)

I just got the game via Fedex today (legitimately, I attended the 3D AMC Theaters event last week). Again, the 3D in this game is RIDICULOUS, this is the best 3D I've ever seen.

The best demo-worthy scene so far is when the game flashes back 20 years to Colombia. The opening pan of Cartegena has lots of depth far and near with rooftops, signs, etc. When young Drake is walking around the first floor of the museum, the rays of sunshine beaming through the window made me . I have a ton of 3D games (Gears 3, Arkham City, ICO and Shadow, God of War Origins, Crysis 3, Black Ops, De Blob 2, Top Spin 4) and Drake's Deception is in another league.

Beyond the 3D, just the overall attention to detail in this game is insane.
post #7 of 123 Old 10-27-2011, 04:06 PM

That's great news can't wait
post #8 of 123 Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I skipped the spolier post, so I apologize if this is redundant...

Google Uncharted 3D Review... plenty of them to be found.

The 3 I read all varied from Meh, to good, to OMFG 3D WILL OWN YOU!

I am looking very forward to playing this, and the 3D is all the more reason for me to be excited

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #9 of 123 Old 10-28-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post

I skipped the spolier post, so I apologize if this is redundant...

Google Uncharted 3D Review... plenty of them to be found.

The 3 I read all varied from Meh, to good, to OMFG 3D WILL OWN YOU!

I am looking very forward to playing this, and the 3D is all the more reason for me to be excited

You can read that post, It contains no spoilers.
post #10 of 123 Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

NO SPOILERS

Played a ton over the weekend. Uncharted 3 has a lot of close-ups, with a lot of foreground and background objects, especially between people in conversation.

Now I'm no videophile but I have 20/20 vision and I'm not detecting a huge loss of detail. Granted, 3D ratchets things down to 720p (yes, the game's native resolution) but the close up details on characters (especially Sully with his stache, Drake with his stubble, and Chloe's improved eyes) are unbelievable.

Don't believe me? You will either tonight at midnight, tomorrow, or sometime this week.
post #11 of 123 Old 11-01-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

NO SPOILERS

Played a ton over the weekend. Uncharted 3 has a lot of close-ups, with a lot of foreground and background objects, especially between people in conversation.

Now I'm no videophile but I have 20/20 vision and I'm not detecting a huge loss of detail. Granted, 3D ratchets things down to 720p (yes, the game's native resolution) but the close up details on characters (especially Sully with his stache, Drake with his stubble, and Chloe's improved eyes) are unbelievable.

Don't believe me? You will either tonight at midnight, tomorrow, or sometime this week.

I'll believe you tonight. I promised myself not to buy any more games until I finish my backlog, but doggoneit, this series is too good to put off. Got my release-day delivery from Amazon an hour ago. Can't wait to go home and experience at least the first chapter or two. (Then I promptly pre-ordered Skyrim and the 650+ page hardcover game guide. What am I thinking? Wish that was in 3D.)

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #12 of 123 Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM

3D is very disappointing. Lots of ghosting on my Sony LCD starting from cinematic. I think I'm done with 3D games.
post #13 of 123 Old 11-01-2011, 08:04 PM

The 3d is probably the best on a console game I have seen to date. Looks great on my dlp. The framerate does suffer slightly in open environments nut nothing crazy. The game itself is gorgeous and fun.
post #14 of 123 Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post

3D is very disappointing. Lots of ghosting on my Sony LCD starting from cinematic. I think I'm done with 3D games.

I have a sony hx729 3d tv, and I'm seeing quite a bit of ghosting in this game. I must admit though that the feel of depth and the visuals are stunning. To fix the ghosting i adjusted the tv 3d setting to +1 and most of the ghosting disappeared. It *seems* to me that some of the depth was lost as well when I did this, but it might be my mind playing tricks. Hope this works for you!
post #15 of 123 Old 11-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

That first sentence scared me until I read the second! Please remember that ghosting is an issue with your display, not the game. Your disappointment is a product of your Sony LCD, not Uncharted.
post #16 of 123 Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 PM

3D confirmed incredible on this game.
post #17 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 06:43 AM

I agree 3d is incredible, rivals some pc 3d vision games I play. Good job naughty dog, and the game is fun as hell
post #18 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 06:50 AM

I can't get over the attention to detail they put in character and environment animation... way ahead of other competing titles.

Sorry for asking this in the 3d-forum, but what audio setting are people using in this game? DD or DTS?
post #19 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeed330 View Post

Sorry for asking this in the 3d-forum, but what audio setting are people using in this game? DD or DTS?

LPCM 5.1 for me. Between DD and DTS though, I'd go for DTS.
post #20 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have mine at default which I assume is LCPM.

I did get a bit of ghosting at first but after I made some adjustments to the game's 3D slider (it's defaulted all the way right) and a minor depth adjustment to my TV (Samsung UN55D7000), ghosting has disappeared.
post #21 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 AM

ah but LPCM doesn't light up the pretty red lights on the receiver... I don't like it! jk lol I'll try it out tonight, played on DD last night, sounded great! And yea I need to play around with the 3D setting to get it perfect...
post #22 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:

I have a sony hx729 3d tv, and I'm seeing quite a bit of ghosting in this game. I must admit though that the feel of depth and the visuals are stunning. To fix the ghosting i adjusted the tv 3d setting to +1 and most of the ghosting disappeared. It *seems* to me that some of the depth was lost as well when I did this, but it might be my mind playing tricks. Hope this works for you!

What strength setting are you using? I turn it down to 50% and still lots of crosstalk in cut scenes. I haven't try +1 on tv setting. I know it's my TV that sux.
post #23 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:

What strength setting are you using? I turn it down to 50% and still lots of crosstalk in cut scenes. I haven't try +1 on tv setting. I know it's my TV that sux.

I tried 70% and 100% strengths, didn't go below that. It didn't make a difference in ghosting really, but +1 on tv setting cleared up the ghosting substantially. Tell me if you feel you've lost some depth with the +1 setting as well - I wanna make sure I'm not imagining things..
post #24 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I tried 70% and 100% strengths, didn't go below that. It didn't make a difference in ghosting really, but +1 on tv setting cleared up the ghosting substantially. Tell me if you feel you've lost some depth with the +1 setting as well - I wanna make sure I'm not imagining things..

Thx. Let me try that when I get home.
post #25 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 01:43 PM

I just played the first hour and the 3D is indeed awesome. I've experienced some occasional crosstalk/ghosting issues on a Samsung D550 plasma (playing around with the TV 3D perspective setting can help a little but not get rid of it entirely) but those minor annoyances aside the 3D is amazing with fantastic depth and a solidity to objects and characters that's far away from the somewhat flat "layers" you get with some 3D content.

I also haven't noticed any apparent performance hits and the obvious visual cutbacks in 3D mode appear to be very minor, with some edges perhaps looking a bit rougher than in 2D (I've only briefly tried playing a section in 2D for comparison).

I can't wait to see what breathtaking vistas await for me in 3D later in the game.
post #26 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 02:28 PM

Played through about 5 hours last night. The 3D is fantastic in my mind, can't play this in 2D anymore. No ghosting on my gt720 projector.
post #27 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

It's amazing the differing opinions when it comes to 3D.

I also have a Sony 3DTV (55" HX800) - and I've done TONS of complaining about the ghosting in certain situations.

HOWEVER, I played Uncharted 3 for about 2 hours yesterday and I found very little ghosting. My initial reaction in the first couple chapters was that the 3D was pretty average. But once I played the chapter with the flames and the burning building I was blown away.

Can't wait to see what else the game has to offer.

Note: For those with Sony's having ghosting problems, I found the following to help a lot:

- Find a scene where ghosting is bad
- Turn the glasses brightness settings to HIGH
- Lower the contrast until the ghosting is reduced to an acceptable level
- Turn up the brightness until picture looks clear

Other articles I've read suggest (and even Sony) have recommended turning the glasses brightness to LOW. So my solution is a little different, but works great for me...
post #28 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

I've found changing the screen size setting on the PS3 has an interesting effect on the in game 3D vs cutscenes. I have a 90" screen. Based on the title screen, I set the PS3 screen size down to 10" and set the in game depth slider to just two clicks shy of max and I found this gave good, comfortable depth on the title screen. I started the game. The opening cutscene had nice 3D. Then the in game section started, and the left/right separation was waaaay too much. I moved the depth slider down to the second lowest setting and it looked good. Then the next cutscene started, and it was basically 2D.

So I found that raising the screen size setting in the PS3 increases cutscene depth but decreases the maximum in game depth. Basically, you have to be pretty honest about your screen size. You can cheat a little though, I finally settled on setting my PS3 to 75".
post #29 of 123 Old 11-02-2011, 06:33 PM

(Minor spoilers, for those who didn't keep up with any pre-release press at all)

Wow! The "720p HD" videos I had seen on YouTube of that burning chateau section REALLY didn't do any justice at all to how it looked in the real game on a 51" 3D TV.
In those preview videos I actually thought those fire effects looked a little unimpressive and additionally obscured the rest of the quality artwork, but it looked fantastic when I actually played through it.

I still have some minor crosstalk issues in some areas (turning off dynamic contrast, which I had active in 3D mode, helped a little) but overall the 3D in Uncharted 3 beats any 3D games I've seen before - even the extremely impressive God of War: Ghost of Sparta (which did have the benefit of a very sharp image and virtually zero crosstalk on my TV).
post #30 of 123 Old 11-03-2011, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED CHAPTER 12

The part where Drake gets shot with the mind control dart and he starts hallucinating and everything goes flat and 2D = incredible.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page