Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 60 Old 12-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

I just received this title from Amazon, picked it up during their Black Friday sales. Looking forward to watching this one.

I just received my copy yesterday from Amazon as well(all the 3D BD should be $17.99 I would buy a whole lot more of them). I hope to watch this tomorrow night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Awesome 3D.

As good as the original IMAX showing.

Imagine if it was 1:85 instead of 2:35, would've been even better.
post #33 of 60 Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 PM

Liked: 15
Watched this tonight, and loved seeing it again. No real ghosting issues, but then I was enjoying the flick and not "critical viewing" for slight subtle miscues.

CoreyM - after the M. Jeter photo I saw "Sony 3D imaging" info, not specifically IMAX info, then other info in multiple languages. Sorry I couldn't remember exactly what to look for at the time but did not see any IMAX stuff
post #34 of 60 Old 12-04-2011, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

CoreyM - after the M. Jeter photo I saw "Sony 3D imaging" info, not specifically IMAX info, then other info in multiple languages. Sorry I couldn't remember exactly what to look for at the time but did not see any IMAX stuff

Interesting, maybe it is there then. Next time its on sale maybe I'll grab a copy.
post #35 of 60 Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

Imagine if it was 1:85 instead of 2:35, would've been even better.

NO THANKS! That would totally kill the OAR.

Polar Express is a great 3d disc IMO. I had very minimal ghosting when I watched this on my RS40 and of course there was NO ghosting at all on my friends Acer DLP. Great movie, great 3d and great audio

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #36 of 60 Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 AM

Saw this last night and was extremely impressed with both the storyline and the 3D. I had actually never seen the movie before but I could not imagine watching this in 2D. The amount of depth and "pop out" where both extremely well done. Out of the 35 3D title I own this is easily in my top 5.
post #37 of 60 Old 12-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

NO THANKS! That would totally kill the OAR.

Polar Express is a great 3d disc IMO. I had very minimal ghosting when I watched this on my RS40 and of course there was NO ghosting at all on my friends Acer DLP. Great movie, great 3d and great audio

Well...technically the original aspect ratio (as far as 3-D goes) would be 1.43:1.

The original 3-D release was in IMAX 3-D. The general theatrical release was 2.35:1 but was 2-D only. I don't believe there was ever a theatrical release in 3-D at 2.35:1. The first 2.35:1 3-D release was the (horrible) anaglyph DVD version.

Incidentally, the IMAX 3-D version was re-generated from the original 3-D models, so nothing was cropped or panned & scanned. It would be interesting to have both versions on the 3D BD.
post #38 of 60 Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post

Well...technically the original aspect ratio (as far as 3-D goes) would be 1.43:1.

It's been 7+ years and my memory is hazy, but I'm fairly certain we sent 2.35 images off to IMAX and they ran some of their own processing on them. I'm not sure if they were stretched or cropped nor do I recall if the aspect ratio truly was 1.43:1 when I saw it.

There's a SIGGRAPH article on it which has one of ImageWork's anaglyph composites and it is 2.35.

I intend to catch on an IMAX screen in the next few weeks so that may refresh some memories.
post #39 of 60 Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

I've seen it in IMAX four times, and all the presentations (at two different venues) were 2:35 to 1 ratio with black at the top and bottom of the IMAX screen.
post #40 of 60 Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

I don't remember any letterboxing when I saw it many years ago, but it has been awhile, so my memory certainly could be hazy too.
post #41 of 60 Old 12-08-2011, 04:55 AM

Liked: 10
I just watched this last night for the first time in 3d, i just received my copy from amazon, and i have to say, i was blown away. im very new to 3D and right now only have 3 movies, but polar express 3D was just outstanding

out of the corner of my eye i saw my 5 yr old daughter try to back further into the couch the 1st time the hero boy stopped the train and you see the locomotive coming right at you, it was awesome.
post #42 of 60 Old 12-08-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

That was the shot that basically sold the 3D IMAX conversion which essentially set the new standard for CGI animated films to be 3D from that point forward. Pretty amazing when you think about it. Especially since the 3D version which ran on only a limited amount of screens became the standard bearer for the movie.

What I remember most about the first IMAX screening was actually seeing all the fine texture and cloth details jumping out at me. They were almost invisible when I saw the flat screening a few weeks earlier.
post #43 of 60 Old 12-09-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 94
About time to break this one out!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #44 of 60 Old 12-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, I watched this last night for the first time and liked the film itself. Some of the 3D was really good but I did notice a fair amount of ghosting throughout as well. Is this the common consensus in this one? Recently watched the Christmas Carol in 3D also and noticed some ghosting in that one too. Mostly during darker scenes for both movies. Is that the norm for Christmas Carol also?

I just got a new 3D ready pioneer receiver a couple weeks ago so I have my blu ray player running through that now (I have the Samsung 7900 player with 2 hdmi connections. Before I was running the audio to the old receiver and the video directly to my tv, both via hdmi). I guess my question is, could I be noticing more ghosting now because my blu ray player isn't feeding the video directly into my tv? Could running my player through the receiver first actually cause my display to create more ghosting? Thanks
post #45 of 60 Old 12-11-2011, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

Hey guys, I watched this last night for the first time and liked the film itself. Some of the 3D was really good but I did notice a fair amount of ghosting throughout as well. Is this the common consensus in this one? Recently watched the Christmas Carol in 3D also and noticed some ghosting in that one too. Mostly during darker scenes for both movies. Is that the norm for Christmas Carol also?

I just got a new 3D ready pioneer receiver a couple weeks ago so I have my blu ray player running through that now (I have the Samsung 7900 player with 2 hdmi connections. Before I was running the audio to the old receiver and the video directly to my tv, both via hdmi). I guess my question is, could I be noticing more ghosting now because my blu ray player isn't feeding the video directly into my tv? Could running my player through the receiver first actually cause my display to create more ghosting? Thanks

Crosstalk is display related (that is, true crosstalk does not result from the content, except in that certain content such as bright/high contrast scenes can reveal it more than others). Crosstalk is defined as the leakage of content intended for one eye into the view perceived by the other eye.

Doubling, or ghosting, can also result from parallax/convergence issues (a failure of the eyes/brain to resolve the L/R views if they are displayed too far apart). This can result if the material is mastered with greater than recommended positive parallax ("depth"" or negative parallax ("pop"). To determine if you have true crosstalk, close one eye while viewing; if the double image persists, you have true crosstalk. If not, try adjusting the "3d depth" setting on your display, or your seating position, to address the convergence issue.

For true crosstalk, the first step would be to calibrate your display, because proper brightness/contrast settings (or more accurately, black level/white level settings) can minimize the problem. However, crosstalk will never be eliminated for certain display types; LCD tends to do worse, while DLP has better 3d performance. Viewing angle will also come into play with passive LCD.

One thing you can do, if you are using active shutter glasses, is upgrade to a glasses/emitter setup that has the ability to adjust the delay & duty cycle of the shutters, such as the Bit Cauldron RF system (also rebranded as Monster Vision, VIP, Optoma RF, etc.). This will let you dictate when the shutters "close down" for each refresh cycle, in order to minimize the instances of the right eye being open when the left eye view is displaying, & vice versa.

More info on crosstalk as relates to display types can be found here:
http://cmst.curtin.edu.au/local/docs...talk_woods.pdf

Crosstalk patterns for testing your display:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1291751
post #46 of 60 Old 12-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Crosstalk is display related (that is, true crosstalk does not result from the content, except in that certain content such as bright/high contrast scenes can reveal it more than others). Crosstalk is defined as the leakage of content intended for one eye into the view perceived by the other eye.

Doubling, or ghosting, can also result from parallax/convergence issues (a failure of the eyes/brain to resolve the L/R views if they are displayed too far apart). This can result if the material is mastered with greater than recommended positive parallax ("depth"" or negative parallax ("pop"). To determine if you have true crosstalk, close one eye while viewing; if the double image persists, you have true crosstalk. If not, try adjusting the "3d depth" setting on your display, or your seating position, to address the convergence issue.

For true crosstalk, the first step would be to calibrate your display, because proper brightness/contrast settings (or more accurately, black level/white level settings) can minimize the problem. However, crosstalk will never be eliminated for certain display types; LCD tends to do worse, while DLP has better 3d performance. Viewing angle will also come into play with passive LCD.

One thing you can do, if you are using active shutter glasses, is upgrade to a glasses/emitter setup that has the ability to adjust the delay & duty cycle of the shutters, such as the Bit Cauldron RF system (also rebranded as Monster Vision, VIP, Optoma RF, etc.). This will let you dictate when the shutters "close down" for each refresh cycle, in order to minimize the instances of the right eye being open when the left eye view is displaying, & vice versa.

More info on crosstalk as relates to display types can be found here:
http://cmst.curtin.edu.au/local/docs...talk_woods.pdf

Crosstalk patterns for testing your display:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1291751

Wow thanks for all that info! Very informative.
post #47 of 60 Old 12-16-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhull843 View Post

I just watched it on a epson 3010 projector and did not see any ghosting at all, which surprised me because when i watched it last year on my panny it had pretty bad ghosting.

Just watched this on an Epson 5010. Not even a hint of ghosting. Looked pretty awesome.
post #48 of 60 Old 12-17-2011, 12:06 AM

I watched this last night with my daughter and was not too impressed by the 3D. I now have 28 3D movies in my collection and I would behave to say this one is probably in the bottom 5.
post #49 of 60 Old 12-17-2011, 04:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 94
We are watching it tonite on our Sony 95 projector. Hopefully crosstalk is minimal as it has been for most titles so far.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #50 of 60 Old 12-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

Can anyone who has it tell me if the 3D disc has the IMAX credits tacked on to the end of the credit roll? In the theater they were 5 or 6 still frames that were after the Michael Jeter tribute.

I worked on this movie for a few years and subsequently finished the film on the IMAX 3D conversion and wound up only getting credited on that, I would love to have a version at home that has my credit to show my son when he is older. Otherwise I am happy with the 2d/anaglyph version I have now.

hi, just looked at the end credits and if your last name begins with M you are listed in
the credits near the end listed with "special 3D imagery by sony pictures imageworks."

my HT
post #51 of 60 Old 12-25-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you
post #52 of 60 Old 12-31-2011, 12:41 AM

Liked: 12
Just saw this movie tonight on my Sony 55" HX929 and the 3D is awesome, I love the train scene where the front of the train looks like it's coming out of your TV! I was like whoa!
post #53 of 60 Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 AM

Liked: 11
Supposedly the 3D stereo version of Polar Express was re-rendered from the original 3D models:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_E...MAX_3D_version
but on the 3D blu-ray there are some scenes that were clearly converted from the 2D version:
0:13:17 boy's coat stuck to background, no depth out background windows, strange bulge in forehead, compare with 0:13:30, which looks ok
During 0:15:42 there is a transition from full 3d to converted 3d, watch the the conductor's glasses and hand, it pops from 3d to flat.
0:33:35 the edges of the boy' and conductor's heads are touching the background, which is flat.
0:50:17 boy's nose is same depth as distant tree
1:12:36 boy's ears, hand are stuck to background
There are more. I don't know why they did this, time constraints or maybe some original 3d data was missing, but it is noticeable if you look closely and pause it.
post #54 of 60 Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Combination of time crunch and the fact that even in the flat version some of the 3d animation has to be cheated. Since the final decision to go ahead with a 3D version came late in the game, some of the shots had gone final a year prior to being re-rendered for stereoscopic and were worked on by different artists.
post #55 of 60 Old 04-25-2013, 03:33 AM

How do I get a copy of polar express without those horrible 3D glasses, I've been looking everywhere?
post #56 of 60 Old 04-25-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasu1982 View Post

How do I get a copy of polar express without those horrible 3D glasses, I've been looking everywhere?

When you're looking for something try "Google".

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Express-Single-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B00447G29S
post #57 of 60 Old 04-25-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When you're looking for something try "Google".

True as that may be, what I REALLY wonder is what someone that evidently hates 3D is doing is the 3D content forum?

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #58 of 60 Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

True as that may be, what I REALLY wonder is what someone that evidently hates 3D is doing is the 3D content forum?

Who?
post #59 of 60 Old 02-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Watched Polar Express on my neighbors passive LG display last night and I thought it looked fantastic. Maybe because of passive technology but I noticed no ghosting. I remember seeing in the IMAX originally and was blown away by the immersion. A precursor to Avatar. I thought the Blu-ray was even more sharp than I remember in the IMAX. The scene with all the elves is very telling. I could seem to see every one very clearly where I remember in the theater there was some blurriness...probably crosstalk.

Still waiting to get my own set capable of 3D. Want a passive technology and full resolution. So looking for a 4K set it seems...but can't fit the monster sony 900 and the 850 is active.
post #60 of 60 Old 02-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post

Watched Polar Express on my neighbors passive LG display last night and I thought it looked fantastic. Maybe because of passive technology but I noticed no ghosting. I remember seeing in the IMAX originally and was blown away by the immersion. A precursor to Avatar. I thought the Blu-ray was even more sharp than I remember in the IMAX. The scene with all the elves is very telling. I could seem to see every one very clearly where I remember in the theater there was some blurriness...probably crosstalk.

Still waiting to get my own set capable of 3D. Want a passive technology and full resolution. So looking for a 4K set it seems...but can't fit the monster sony 900 and the 850 is active.

At least as far as front projection (cant imagine flat panel would be different, but not up to speed in that area) goes, passive vs active is not the ghosting issue. Active single chip DLP projection will give you a ghost/flicker free presentation due to the HIGH actual refresh rate of DLP. I have owned 3 3d projectors at this point and after moving to single chip DLP (BenQ W7000), there is no going back to any other tech for me as they will all have ghosting and flicker to some degree vs DLP from what I have seen (have also owned a JVC RS40 and RS45 and seen some other projectors at Cedia, etc.......).

I agree though that PE is an excellent 3d title and so is A Christmas Carol which has the same type visual style. Both are must own IMO for 3d!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page