Polar Express 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have my 3D TV Finally and LOVE IT !!

I've been impressed with most of the 3D movies I've tried. I mostly like to watch the animated ones.

I watched Polar Express tonight (I made sure it is not the one with the cardboard glasses either , and, I must say I was a bit disappointed.

All the other movies I've tried looked great, but, for some reason, Polar Express appeared to be ghosting..I've tried adjusting depth, viewing angle,...etc...etc, but, it just doesn't look that great to me....

Has anyone else had this experience with this movie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 11-29-2011, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't remember significant problems with ghosting when we watched my copy.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #3 of 60 Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 AM

I have this title and it does have a few scenes where ghosting/crosstalk can be seen.

The displays I've watched it on are a 32" Sony EX720 LCD and a 51" Samsung D8000 plasma. The former is worse in the ghosting dept., as the D8000 lessens or eliminates the degree of ghosting in those very same scenes.

It could be the settings on my Sony, although I do have it in Movie mode, which seems to reduce crosstalk (in comparison to using Standard mode).

Bottom line: For me, of all the 3D titles I own, the Polar Express isn't the best when it comes to ghosting. However, it's still a wonderful experience in 3D, as the ghosting is pretty minimal (at least on my Sammy).
post #4 of 60 Old 11-30-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I only had a scant few moments of ghosting, but only watch it this time of year, so will be checking it out again soon.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #5 of 60 Old 11-30-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies. The whole 3D experience is new to me, so, I might be looking way too close at things. I should also have mentioned I am viewing this on my LG 55LW5300 TV.
post #6 of 60 Old 11-30-2011, 03:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJ73167 View Post

Thanks for all of the replies. The whole 3D experience is new to me, so, I might be looking way too close at things. I should also have mentioned I am viewing this on my LG 55LW5300 TV.

I just purchased an LG last month. Have you calibrated your LG yet? Out of the box, I thought the picture was only decent to me until I changed all the settings.
post #7 of 60 Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post

I just purchased an LG last month. Have you calibrated your LG yet? Out of the box, I thought the picture was only decent to me until I changed all the settings.

Well, I ran the "Picture Wizard" that is built in, but, as far as calibration goes, that's all I know. Is there some more "in depth" calibration that you did that I should do?

Please tell
post #8 of 60 Old 11-30-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Well, I ran the "Picture Wizard" that is built in, but, as far as calibration goes, that's all I know. Is there some more "in depth" calibration that you did that I should do?

Please tell

I will give you more information when I'm at home. I'm unfortunately still at work so I don't know my settings off hand. Do you remember which parts of Polar Express stood out to you with ghosting? I haven't watched it yet on my LG but I can pop it in tonight and see if I notice the same as you.
post #9 of 60 Old 11-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Pop by and say hi to other owners of your set! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...19231&page=196
post #10 of 60 Old 11-30-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I will give you more information when I'm at home. I'm unfortunately still at work so I don't know my settings off hand. Do you remember which parts of Polar Express stood out to you with ghosting? I haven't watched it yet on my LG but I can pop it in tonight and see if I notice the same as you.

Hmmm...Well, in the beginning of the movie, the young boy gets on the train. At that point, the little boy with the glasses (that loves trains) speaks out about what kind of train it is. his entire face takes up the screen. That part was ghosting pretty bad, and, most of the first 5 minutes (the darker scenes in his room)

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much for this
post #11 of 60 Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Hmmm...Well, in the beginning of the movie, the young boy gets on the train. At that point, the little boy with the glasses (that loves trains) speaks out about what kind of train it is. his entire face takes up the screen. That part was ghosting pretty bad, and, most of the first 5 minutes (the darker scenes in his room)

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much for this

I watched the Polar Express last night. I really didn't notice too much ghosting at all. I did see slight ghosting during the scene you mentioned when the boy with the glasses is talking and his face covers the entire screen. The 3D on Polar Express is ok, but it lacks depth as seen in other 3D releases. It does have some good scenes, but I found the 3D just to be decent. Have you noticed any ghosting in other 3D movies you've watched on your LG?

I had my settings written down but I accidently left them at home when I left for work. I'll post them this afternoon. As for settings goes, it really boils down to personal preference I think. A good thing to do is browse the thread TheGoatLantern posted. You will see other users settings on there. Changing the factory settings should help reduce the amount of visible ghosting (crosstalk).

Here is a link to the CNET settings:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...;threadListing

The CNET settings are for the LG 47LW5600. There shouldn't be too much difference between that model and yours. I have the LG 55LW5600. I really don't know what the difference is between the 5300 and 5600 series.

You may like the CNET settings, but I personally found the picture to be too dull to my taste. Another thing to try is the picture modes in the video settings. I believe there are 4 (Vivid, Standard, Cinema, Game).

I highly recommend the calibration blu-ray Disney released:

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Wor...2758699&sr=1-1

It has a nice book included with the disc. I think it's a great blu-ray to have for beginners calibrating their TV's. I know you can find user settings and free calibration discs on the internet, but I personally like Disney's disc the best.
post #12 of 60 Old 12-01-2011, 12:00 PM

I just watched it on a epson 3010 projector and did not see any ghosting at all, which surprised me because when i watched it last year on my panny it had pretty bad ghosting.
post #13 of 60 Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I watched the Polar Express last night. I really didn't notice too much ghosting at all. I did see slight ghosting during the scene you mentioned when the boy with the glasses is talking and his face covers the entire screen. The 3D on Polar Express is ok, but it lacks depth as seen in other 3D releases. It does have some good scenes, but I found the 3D just to be decent. Have you noticed any ghosting in other 3D movies you've watched on your LG?

I had my settings written down but I accidently left them at home when I left for work. I'll post them this afternoon. As for settings goes, it really boils down to personal preference I think. A good thing to do is browse the thread TheGoatLantern posted. You will see other users settings on there. Changing the factory settings should help reduce the amount of visible ghosting (crosstalk).

Here is a link to the CNET settings:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...;threadListing

The CNET settings are for the LG 47LW5600. There shouldn't be too much difference between that model and yours. I have the LG 55LW5600. I really don't know what the difference is between the 5300 and 5600 series.

You may like the CNET settings, but I personally found the picture to be too dull to my taste. Another thing to try is the picture modes in the video settings. I believe there are 4 (Vivid, Standard, Cinema, Game).

I highly recommend the calibration blu-ray Disney released:

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Wor...2758699&sr=1-1

It has a nice book included with the disc. I think it's a great blu-ray to have for beginners calibrating their TV's. I know you can find user settings and free calibration discs on the internet, but I personally like Disney's disc the best.

I seriously cannot thank you enough for taking the time out to provide me with this information.

I am going to order the calibration Disney DVD now from Amazon.

So, after the tv is calibrated, will it make the 3D look any better? I just didnt think the 3D content is that effected by calibration.

And, one more thing, I am using a $3.00 HDMI cable from Amazon. being I am now entering the world of 3D TV, do you think it's best if I spring for a better cable?

Once again, THANK YOU !!
post #14 of 60 Old 12-01-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:

So, after the tv is calibrated, will it make the 3D look any better? I just didnt think the 3D content is that effected by calibration.

It might. I reduced ghosting on my Sony EX720 by manipulating a few settings. For instance, I think the default for viewing 3D was Standard Mode. After switching it to Movie Mode, there was less ghosting. However, the negative trade-off was that the picture was less bright.

Quote:

And, one more thing, I am using a $3.00 HDMI cable from Amazon. being I am now entering the world of 3D TV, do you think it's best if I spring for a better cable?

If it's a high speed cable (I forget the Category number for this type of cable) then you should be just fine. I didn't pay much more than you for my hdmi cable from Amazon and it works great.
post #15 of 60 Old 12-01-2011, 03:24 PM

I just checked. I have a Category 2 high speed HDMI cable from Mediabridge that I purchased from Amazon. Cost me $10.00.
post #16 of 60 Old 12-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

1.4a is the required HDMI cable, now whether that is true is arguable. If you are in teh market for a new HDMI cable try Monoprice, I was able to get 3 1.4a High speed cables for about 12 bucks (one for cable, PS3 and XBOX 360) for around 12 bucks overnight.
post #17 of 60 Old 12-01-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

1.4a is the required HDMI cable, now whether that is true is arguable. If you are in teh market for a new HDMI cable try Monoprice, I was able to get 3 1.4a High speed cables for about 12 bucks (one for cable, PS3 and XBOX 360) for around 12 bucks overnight.

The 1.4 / 1.3 monikers for cables are no longer applicable; hdmi.org now classifies them as Standard / High speed / High speed with ethernet, with two automotive categories.

The OP wants "high speed" for 3d.
post #18 of 60 Old 12-01-2011, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I've watched this on my HD33 and I thought it looked fantastic and even had some pop-out especially when the train was coming to a stop and the camera view is at at the front of the train. I loved it in 3D.
post #19 of 60 Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellywell View Post

I've watched this on my HD33 and I thought it looked fantastic and even had some pop-out especially when the train was coming to a stop and the camera view is at at the front of the train. I loved it in 3D.

I love the train sequence you're refering to. I also love the journey of the floating train ticket.

So hard to watch the movie in 2D afterwards, as with any other 3D film I've had the pleasure of seeing.
post #20 of 60 Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 AM

Liked: 15
It's been 11 months since the family watched, can't recall any problem with ghosting... but my memory isn't what it use to be (kids do that to ya!) Will have to sit down and view it again soon, will report back when I actually have/find some "down time" (man, the things to do with no time to squeeze them in just escalates exponentially between Thanksgiving and Christmas!).
post #21 of 60 Old 12-02-2011, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just received this title from Amazon, picked it up during their Black Friday sales. Looking forward to watching this one.

Panasonic 60GT30
Onkyo NR838
Oppo BDP-103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
post #22 of 60 Old 12-02-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just finished it last night.
I thought the 3D was very impressive.
Subtle things like the fog under the train looked really good.

I think I have bought this movie like 4 times.

The HD DVD version, Blu Ray, 3D analygraph (red/lue) and now the true 3D version.

I wanted it to be my first 3D movie but no way was I going to pay the $40 everyone was asking for it.
Luckily, Best Buy forced Amazon to match it and got it a great deal.

It's unique to me because it is one of the first titles I have where the 2D version is on the same disc.
post #23 of 60 Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Can anyone who has it tell me if the 3D disc has the IMAX credits tacked on to the end of the credit roll? In the theater they were 5 or 6 still frames that were after the Michael Jeter tribute.

I worked on this movie for a few years and subsequently finished the film on the IMAX 3D conversion and wound up only getting credited on that, I would love to have a version at home that has my credit to show my son when he is older. Otherwise I am happy with the 2d/anaglyph version I have now.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #24 of 60 Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. So, i did some calibration last night, and , all looks MUCH better. Thanks for all of the help here.

I think i was calling my problem ghosting (Crosstalk), but, I dont think it was that as much as this:

The problem I have with this movie (been there all along but I couldnt find the words to explain it, so, Ill try my best)

When there are items on the screen that are closer to me when watching 3D (Polar Express Only), if I try to focus on them, it's almost as if my eyes are crossing. It's just a very uncomfortable feeling. I have tried about 8 to 10 other HD 3D movies, and, none of them do this. Polar express is the only one. So, thinking I have an issue with my eyes and 3D TV deosent seem like a good assumption if I can watch others.

Please note that I have (numerous times) tried adjusting the 3D depth, viewing angle, Left/Right combo,...all of which nothing helped.

I really hope I am explaining this the right way...
post #25 of 60 Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

Can anyone who has it tell me if the 3D disc has the IMAX credits tacked on to the end of the credit roll? In the theater they were 5 or 6 still frames that were after the Michael Jeter tribute.

I worked on this movie for a few years and subsequently finished the film on the IMAX 3D conversion and wound up only getting credited on that, I would love to have a version at home that has my credit to show my son when he is older. Otherwise I am happy with the 2d/anaglyph version I have now.

If I remember correctly, after that picture, there was nothing. I'll put it in again and check, but, last night I purposely let the DVD roll to the very very end and dont remember seeing anything after that.
post #26 of 60 Old 12-02-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

I'm sure you know better then me but I wonder if this is the same as the IMAX conversion.

First, was the IMAX version the full movie?
I saw a 3D presentation in Stone Mountain and it was only about an hour long.
And the 3D blu-ray is full 2.35 aspect, so no IMAX there.
post #27 of 60 Old 12-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

The 1.4 / 1.3 monikers for cables are no longer applicable; hdmi.org now classifies them as Standard / High speed / High speed with ethernet, with two automotive categories.

The OP wants "high speed" for 3d.

Ah, I forgot about the switch. 1.4a is now high speed with ehternet, still cheap at Monoprice
post #28 of 60 Old 12-02-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

I'm sure you know better then me but I wonder if this is the same as the IMAX conversion.

First, was the IMAX version the full movie?
I saw a 3D presentation in Stone Mountain and it was only about an hour long.
And the 3D blu-ray is full 2.35 aspect, so no IMAX there.

As far as I remember the IMAX version was the full movie. It has been so long. I am pretty sure we rendered the second eye into 2.35 and then sent everything to IMAX and they finalized it for exhibition on their screens. We even did anaglyph renders at the time although I'd be shocked if those were the ones used for any actual release.

Oh well, hopefully they're still showing it at the local IMAX screen when my boy can read

XBox: King Nuthin
post #29 of 60 Old 12-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

I have a burned copy of this one and tried watching it last night. After ten minutes I had to shut it off cuz the ghosting was so bad. I had read of complaints about ghosting on this film but I can't believe it was that bad. Perhaps the fact it had been copied made it worse??
post #30 of 60 Old 12-03-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

I have a burned copy of this one and tried watching it last night. After ten minutes I had to shut it off cuz the ghosting was so bad.

Even on the lesser of my 3D tvs, the Polar Express wasn't close to being unwatchable. But, as I mentioned earlier, it does exhibit some ghosting on both of my displays.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page