G- Force 3D..is it really that good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Highdefdigest rates this movie as a stunner for the video with amazing 3D depth and popout. Has anyone watched this? Impressions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I think it is really good 3D-wise.
High production values but I'm not sure how much you can watch the film.

It does a neat trick (that they did in the theaters as well) were the 3D effects extend outside the frame into the black bars.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

High production values but I'm not sure how much you can watch the film

I'm guessing the movie itself is pretty uninteresting for adults?

I've watched a lot of so called "kids" animated movies and found them to be very charming. The only time I can't stand them is when they decide to be too cutesy and turn everything into a dance number
While "ooooh look! A dancing animal! He's shaking his rump hahaha" might be funny to a 6 year old. Not so much for me

But for the most part I find most of the animated movies these days to be not only worthy of a watch, but very well crafted

post #4 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

I've watched a lot of so called "kids" animated movies and found them to be very charming. The only time I can't stand them is when they decide to be too cutesy and turn everything into a dance number
While "ooooh look! A dancing animal! He's shaking his rump hahaha" might be funny to a 6 year old. Not so much for me

But for the most part I find most of the animated movies these days to be not only worthy of a watch, but very well crafted

I bought the standard Blu Ray for my son when it came out, and this movie is terrible from an adult perspective (although my son liked it the few times he's watched it). Anyways, I don't care how good the 3D is, I won't be double dipping on this title

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #5 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 01:07 PM

Liked: 11
I think this is the only movie featuring guinea pigs, so if you have them as pets like I do, you'll love the movie.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Medina View Post

I think this is the only movie featuring guinea pigs, so if you have them as pets like I do, you'll love the movie.

Was that a guinea pig in Bolt? The small animal in the enclosed bubble/sphere? Or maybe that was a hampster? (I don't know - I've only ever owned dogs)
post #7 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It does a neat trick (that they did in the theaters as well) were the 3D effects extend outside the frame into the black bars.

That's a first for me. I have never watched a blu-ray 3D like that before. Highdefdigest says all the popouts with the guinea pigs and ropes flying towards you are amazing. I think i may buy this, i can handle "a little too kiddy" flick once in a while.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I liked the movie and I'm over 40. It's an entertaining movie and I have it in 3D but have not watched it in 3D yet (but I did watch a clip that was on a Disney 3D BD and the effects looked cool when the 3D extended beyond the movie screen into the black bars).

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #9 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM

Saw this with the family last night. Overall Id definitely recommend it. The 3D is crisp and deep with excellent pop outs. The storyline however is just kind of blah. You can tell they attempt to make the jokes that adults would laugh at but some of them fall short. My 6 year old enjoyed it and I laughed a few times. I will definitely watch it again for the 3D.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-07-2012, 04:09 PM

Liked: 11
The live action is converted from 2D, not shot native 3D, although it has added 3D CG effects rendered in stereo.
It won an award from the International 3D society for best 2d-3d conversion:
http://thedimensionalists.com/?p=256
but it is still a conversion.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Just watched it. Amazing 3d effects very impress with converted 3d. Lots of stuff coming out of the screen, nice trick with 3d in front of aspect ration bars. You just have to see it.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is probably my favorite 3d disk. Excellent depth and effects. In fact, my grandson is on his way over, he's 7, and we will watch it again. He really loves this movie, this is our 4th screening in as many weeks.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Yep, the dancing thing is pretty stale to me also.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-16-2012, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I might have to pick this up. So glad none of the Chipmunk movies were in 3D! The kids won't be able to tempt me.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-22-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

That's about as close as actual 3D will match the print/media advertising of 3D with things "flying out of the screen". Of course the effect is really just "out of the frame" but still effective. Nothing can appear to go outside the edges of the physical screen like the print/media advertising is always pushing (they never protray in-to-the-screen 3D) like most 3D actually is. (I know, I know).

Being a computer graphics geek, I've always collected cg animated movies since Toy Story. G-Force, Meet the Robinsons, Chicken Little, Bolt, etc. were all recently re-released in 3D around the same time and they all look great on Blu-ray. Most, if not all of them were available first for 3D streaming on Vudu and Sony's Video Unlimited (was called Qriocity earlier) before being released in 3D on Blu-ray.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

That's about as close as actual 3D will match the print/media advertising of 3D with things "flying out of the screen". Of course the effect is really just "out of the frame" but still effective. Nothing can appear to go outside the edges of the physical screen like the print/media advertising is always pushing (they never protray in-to-the-screen 3D) like most 3D actually is.

Space Station has a scene at the end where the astronauts throw food (fruit) at the camera and as the fruit floats towards you it seems you can reach up right in front of you and grab it. These objects certainly appear to be projected far out in front of the screen. There are other examples as well like the potato cod in one of the other IMAX documentaries and so on, I disagree that objects can't appear to extend beyond the physical screen and out into the room.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

That's about as close as actual 3D will match the print/media advertising of 3D with things "flying out of the screen". Of course the effect is really just "out of the frame" but still effective. Nothing can appear to go outside the edges of the physical screen like the print/media advertising is always pushing (they never protray in-to-the-screen 3D) like most 3D actually is. (I know, I know).

Being a computer graphics geek, I've always collected cg animated movies since Toy Story. G-Force, Meet the Robinsons, Chicken Little, Bolt, etc. were all recently re-released in 3D around the same time and they all look great on Blu-ray. Most, if not all of them were available first for 3D streaming on Vudu and Sony's Video Unlimited (was called Qriocity earlier) before being released in 3D on Blu-ray.

And the scene in Final Destination 3D where the snake comes out of the screen. That frightened my great grandaughter to tears. There are many movies with pop-out.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You'll are mistaking my comments. Print and multi-media 3D ads show objects out beyond the borders of the screen: left, right, top and/or bottom which can't be done. G-force does a close approximation by going outside the letterbox frame. Of course the letterbox area is still within the border of the screen. I never mentioned anything about objects not coming out of the screen forward. In relation to objects in the room, my 92" display shows objects several feet out from the surface of the screen. The seating area is 12 foot away so it's not exactly in your face however. I have only seen 1 or 2 scenes in which something apppeared to be 6 feet out. It helps when objects aren't disected by the display frame: that really ties them back down to the screen for me.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page