2012 BCS National Championship Game on ESPN 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
UKStory135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watched the first quarter of the BCS National Title Game on ESPN 3D. The picture looked fine, but I really noticed an audio lag. What are your thoughts?
UKStory135 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Member
 
bryanpog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah it looks good. Yeah I noticed the audio lag also. I noticed it the other day watching basketball. Maybe has something to do with being live and in 3D?
bryanpog is offline  
post #3 of 44 Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeremy W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I never noticed any audio lag via Comcast in Detroit.
Jeremy W is offline  
post #4 of 44 Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Member
 
EVERRET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watched the second half in 3D , It was really good

The 3D movie & Blu Ray Trailers were Great too !

John Carter
Men In Black
Adventure Island
Spiderman
Transformers
EVERRET is offline  
post #5 of 44 Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Senior Member
 
joepaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKStory135 View Post

I watched the first quarter of the BCS National Title Game on ESPN 3D. The picture looked fine, but I really noticed an audio lag. What are your thoughts?

I was watching it via FIOS and didn't think the picture looked that good. Seemed to be much lower resolution than the regular HD channel. I have the Moto QIP7100 2 box - not sure how good that is. Was watching on my Acer H9500BD on a 100" inch screen, 3d blu-rays look great on it.

I ended up watching it on the normal HD channel.
joepaiii is offline  
post #6 of 44 Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

I was watching it via FIOS and didn't think the picture looked that good. Seemed to be much lower resolution than the regular HD channel.

Yes, 50% less resolution. That's how 3D works.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #7 of 44 Old 01-09-2012, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I saw the game on a 55" LG w/passive stereo, via Comcast Detroit. Looked pretty good I thought. Only TV speakers, did not notice any audio issues.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #8 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
njfoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Watched on a 73" mits dlp via Directv. Definitely noticed the audio lag. The slow motion replays were awesome! The rest of the broadcast was typical for broadcast 3d with a lack of detail and brightness due to the resolution loss.
njfoses is offline  
post #9 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
had the lag here as well... fios in south jersey...

i thought it looked pretty darn good on a 110" screen... the loss of resolution is well worth the gain of 3d... there were some times where i felt like i really was there...

@njfoses... the loss of brightness isn't due to the lower resolution...

general comment: i think they need to look at a 3d broadcast a bit differently than a 2d one... the illusion of reality would be stronger if they just stuck with the main cam almost all the time, with very occasional shots from other angles... but that's just my opinion...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #10 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't have cable and only use 3D for BD movies but the idea of football in 3D is almost worth the price of admission.
Rach is offline  
post #11 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Member
 
PFRboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaking of football in 3d, is the Super Bowl going to be broadcast in 3d this year?
PFRboy is offline  
post #12 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
UKStory135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

Watched on a 73" mits dlp via Directv. Definitely noticed the audio lag. The slow motion replays were awesome! The rest of the broadcast was typical for broadcast 3d with a lack of detail and brightness due to the resolution loss.

I was DirecTV as well. I tried to turn the sync up on my receiver, but I couldn't get rid of it. I eventually went back to the HD channel.
UKStory135 is offline  
post #13 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeremy W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFRboy View Post

Speaking of football in 3d, is the Super Bowl going to be broadcast in 3d this year?

Nope.
Jeremy W is offline  
post #14 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TrickMcKaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Saw it and noticed the lag, too, here in Alabama. I thought the scenes of basketball were more effective than the football shots. The perspective seemed wrong on the football field too often. For example, several times it appeared as if the players were running six inches above the field surface. Sometimes a shot of players milling around looked like they should have passed one another with the other one in front. Either the lens was distorting the distance or the distance between the cameras was not correct for the zoom level lots of the time.

Football games may be the hardest challenge for 3D broadcasts to get perfect. I love 3D and want it to work a little better than this.
TrickMcKaha is offline  
post #15 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Summa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Dang, wish I would have known it was on ESPN 3D!
Summa is offline  
post #16 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post

I watched the second half in 3D , It was really good

The 3D movie & Blu Ray Trailers were Great too !

John Carter
Men In Black
Adventure Island
Spiderman
Transformers

Couldn't agree more. I thought it was fantastic! Even though the game itself sucked
markmathers is offline  
post #17 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TrickMcKaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The commercials on the 3D broadcast were all for 3D materials - either upcoming 3D movies, 3D Blu Rays, or 3D broadcasts. That Adventure Island one sure looked cool to me.
TrickMcKaha is offline  
post #18 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
UKStory135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

Saw it and noticed the lag, too, here in Alabama. I thought the scenes of basketball were more effective than the football shots. The perspective seemed wrong on the football field too often. For example, several times it appeared as if the players were running six inches above the field surface. Sometimes a shot of players milling around looked like they should have passed one another with the other one in front. Either the lens was distorting the distance or the distance between the cameras was not correct for the zoom level lots of the time.

Football games may be the hardest challenge for 3D broadcasts to get perfect. I love 3D and want it to work a little better than this.

Basketball sometimes goes much closer to the minimum distances for 3D, and sometimes the ghosting is a little bit worse, but I am still hoping to see my wildcats in 3D this year.
UKStory135 is offline  
post #19 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Member
 
timtationx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm just glad they used the same audio feed as the main broadcast. The 3D broadcasts usually gets stuck with the D- announce team.
timtationx is offline  
post #20 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Arnies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought the FIOS 3D for the BCS game was poor. There was ghosting. I even changed the resolution to 720P which helped. I have a JVC-X9 projector and all other sources have a perfect 3D picture. IS it the problem with FIOS or ESPN? There seems to be a motion lag which is causing some ghosting. If there is no motion the picture is perfect.
Arnies is offline  
post #21 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeremy W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtationx View Post

I'm just glad they used the same audio feed as the main broadcast. The 3D broadcasts usually gets stuck with the D- announce team.

There were some instances where the announcers were talking about replays that were not being shown on the 3D feed. Other than that, I agree.
Jeremy W is offline  
post #22 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Doug Schiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was blown away with the full 3D movie trailers.

I wish they had a channel that was full of this cheap content, including the Titanic and Star Wars trailers.

Much better then a crappy on demand that is full of guitar sessions and poker games.
Doug Schiller is offline  
post #23 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

me too... i dunno how many times i've watched all the various espn "clip" shows...

i think i'll pass on the "adventure island" one though... that one looks like a nightmare in waiting...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #24 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnies View Post

I thought the FIOS 3D for the BCS game was poor. There was ghosting. I even changed the resolution to 720P which helped. I have a JVC-X9 projector and all other sources have a perfect 3D picture. IS it the problem with FIOS or ESPN? There seems to be a motion lag which is causing some ghosting. If there is no motion the picture is perfect.

hmm... the only ghosting i got was on static images, none on motion....

fios here.

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #25 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Run4two's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't think we can assume FIOS is uniformly the same everywhere. There are a number of different receivers and DVRs. I have the Moto 6416 with a Mitsu DLP 65" TV. No ghosting (no surprise), yes audio lag, and loved the commercials. I did notice a couple of times, as mentioned earlier, where the announcers are mentioning a replay that we are not seeing.

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
Run4two is offline  
post #26 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Member
 
timtationx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

I was blown away with the full 3D movie trailers.

I wish they had a channel that was full of this cheap content, including the Titanic and Star Wars trailers.

Much better then a crappy on demand that is full of guitar sessions and poker games.

AMEN about that last part.
timtationx is offline  
post #27 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
 
johnny905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Yes, 50% less resolution. That's how 3D works.

That's the problem with the current state of frame compatible formats like side-by-side and top/bottom.

Sensio's just announced 3DGo! VOD can broadcast full HD resolution. Hopefully they will be able to expand it to cable broadcasts at some point.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ews|LatestNews

"Sensio claims its lossless "hi-fi" compression will deliver full HD 3D (1080p on both eyes) on a broadband connection of only 2 Mbps, average for an American home, and that a two-hour movie would be about 2 Gb, so not to run afoul of new monthly caps on data plans."
johnny905 is offline  
post #28 of 44 Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeremy W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post

Sensio claims its lossless "hi-fi" compression will deliver full HD 3D (1080p on both eyes) on a broadband connection of only 2 Mbps

Lossless compared to what? And 1080p at 2 Mbps? Ummm, no.
Jeremy W is offline  
post #29 of 44 Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 AM
Member
 
bassco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looked great to me on the replay last night on directv
bassco is offline  
post #30 of 44 Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Madison, Alabama
Posts: 2,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ROLL TIDDDE!!! (notice the 3D spelling in TIDDDE)

Wolfie
Wolfie is offline  
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off