AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

I have DirecTV and I agree with you.
I have a front projection system with a 106 in screen and the 3D picture quality of the opening ceremonies was poor. Seemed to be low resolution. Very blurry.
The 2D picture was much better.
Wow, I have 110" screen and have quite the opposite view...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 166 Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

Now if it is the box.. I really don't understand how it can be because I'm able to view 3d on channel 1000 but if it is which one of these boxes should I get ?
I currently have the Explorer 8300HD DVR box which has been a work horse with no problems.
Here's the boxes TWC has listed. Which box should I get ?
It's confusing..if I get the
Time Warner Cable 3D Pass, including ESPN 3D HDDVR box will I still be able to view
Movies on Demand, Free On Demand or Special Events in 3D ?
Answers
Previous Next Digital Cable >> 3DTV >> Will all HD set-top boxes be able to receive 3D content?
Question:
Will all HD set-top boxes be able to receive 3D content?
Answer:
No. To view Movies on Demand, Free On Demand or Special Events in 3D, you must have one of the following compatible set-top boxes:
•Motorola: DCH 3200, DCX 3200,DCX 3200-M P1/P2, DCX3400, DCX3400-M
•Samsung: 3050, 3090, 3260, 3262, 3270, 3272
•Cisco/SA: 4250, 8240, 8300, 4640, 4642, 8640, 8642

To view Time Warner Cable 3D Pass, including ESPN 3D, you must have one of the following compatible set-top boxes:
•Motorola: 3200 MOCA HD, 3510 MOCA HDDVR
•Samsung: 3260 HD, 3262 MOCA HD, 3362 MOCA HD, 3270 HDDVR, 3272 MOCA HDDVR
•Cisco: 4640 HD, 4642 MOCA HD, 8640 HDDVR, 8642 MOCA HDDVR, 4742 MOCA HD, 8742 MOCA HDDVR

Note: You may have another model set-top box that displays 3D TV signals through an HDMI cable, but we cannot guarantee proper 3D display through set tops other than those listed above. If your set-top box does not display 3D TV signals, please visit your local lobby/front counter/payment center to exchange your set-top box

I've been told on my Time Warner cable system that the on demand 3D titles use a different format (720p over/under) with MPEG2 compression that is compatable with the older boxes. I used to have an old SA8300HD and those 3D titles worked.
However I have heard the 3D Olympics HD channel as well as the pay ESPN-3D channel use a different MPG4 compression that requires a newer model cable box/DVR.
A month or two ago my old SA8300HD DVR was having problems with HDMI so I took it the local office and was able to trade it for a newer model that supports the MPG4 3D formats as well - it was a brand new Cisco 8642 HD-DVR model.
The new model box works with the Olympics 3D HD channel using HDMI connection from the box to my 3D TV.

So indeed you probably need to trade your old box for a newer model that supports the newer 3D formats they use on some channels like ESPN-3D from the smaller list of boxes, The problem may be that those boxes are often reserved for higher service customers since it has a larger hard drive too. I was lucky there was one left in the back the day I went in.
post #93 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My SECV is in SD and the commentary is unhearable,just crowd noise.Better than nothing.

WAP 16.

post #94 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I checked channel 484 last night but it still doesn't work despite a reboot. BriscoCountyJr may be right...you may need a new box. Check out this forum where other people are having the same problem and someone suggested a new box. Also, on that site NYCPaul was told that TWC doesn't have the bandwith. Maybe it is just a problem with NYC customers??? Check out that forum: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27372517-TWC-Time-Warner-3D-broadcast-of-Olympics-Where-and-when-?r=927 (I posted under the name "Frustrated")

I have the model 8300 and at least one other person has the same model. If a new box is needed then why doesn't TWC tell us this on their website. 3D Special Events supposedly work with the older boxes according to TWC but maybe the 3D Olympics are the exception. I am going to try and call TWC tonight and talk to a Supervisor. Everyone else who has the same problem should do the same thing to see what response they get...then we can compare notes.

If a new box is required I have 2 problems.....the first is that I have a lot of shows that I want to watch on my DVR so I don't want to swap it now. The second one is, how easy will it be able to swap a box when you go to the store and tell them that you need a new box to watch the Olympics in 3D. They aren't going to believe you and may give you a problem
post #95 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 View Post

My SECV is in SD and the commentary is unhearable,just crowd noise.Better than nothing.

Who is your provider and what model box do you have?
post #96 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 View Post

I noticed that on parts of the 2D HD feed, for example while the judges reviewed the Japanese gymnastics score and during some of the swimming events.
post #97 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

I agree..it doesn't make sense !
I have to work and by the time I get home I have maybe a hour to watch and that's if I do nothing before settling in. When I get
home it takes me a hour to do getting home things like taking a shower and having Dinner and what not so no 3D time is left.
They should just repeat it or at least show some coverage from 8-11 pm EST being it's on a 24hr delay anyway.
Doesn't make sense !

To force us to watch their primetime feed and help ratings?
Even though I saw the schedule ahead of time, last night when I did not get home until 7:45, I was also annoyed that it was not on.
post #98 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple420 View Post

To force us to watch their primetime feed and help ratings?
Even though I saw the schedule ahead of time, last night when I did not get home until 7:45, I was also annoyed that it was not on.

What model box do you have?
post #99 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 AM

hd66 3dxl combo on a 146inch screen, twc, 8300hd box. I noticed some of the shots in the opening ceremony were lowwer res, most of it I thought was awesome.

Yeah not showing it in primetime sucks. Recording it is an option to an extent, Im able to dvr the morning block from 5am to 9am. After that its not allowed. I can set it up to record the night before but it stops at 9am. Maybe because its such a large block, I dunno but it hurts. I cant find any 3d on demand either, I thought they were going to have some up. Maybe in a day or 2.

I sure will miss it when its gone.

Fritz! Fritz, get up for God's sake! Get up! They've killed Fritz! They've killed Fritz! Those lousy stinking yellow fairies! Those horrible atrocity-filled vermin! Those despicable animal warmongers!
post #100 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 AM

I just got off the phone with TWC. The rep suggested that I switch the box to one of the new ones to see if the problem was resolved. I told her that I didn't want to do that now and that I wanted to talk to a Supervisor. After a 10 minute wait, he told me that he is aware of the issue. He said that he has gotten a lot of complaints and it has been escalated. They are looking into whether it has something to do with the model of the box. He said that the 8300 is one of the oldest boxes. I asked him that since ESPN 3D needs the newer boxes is it possible that the 3D Olympics requires a newer box. He said it is a possibility. They are also looking into why it works for some people and not others. FARAD just posted that he has a 8300 like me.

Also, the supervisor noticed on my account that they listed me as having a standard box....not an 8300. He is thinking that may be the problem. He changed it in his system and then removed and re-added the 3DTV channel and refreshed it. I will find out tonight if it is working and post the results tomorrow.

Everyone who has a problem should call and talk to a Supervisor. It will give them more push even though it sounds like they are really looking into it and are concerned.

I am determined to get to the bottom of this and will update everyone as soon as I find out more
post #101 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARAD View Post

hd66 3dxl combo on a 146inch screen, twc, 8300hd box. I noticed some of the shots in the opening ceremony were lowwer res, most of it I thought was awesome.
Yeah not showing it in primetime sucks. Recording it is an option to an extent, Im able to dvr the morning block from 5am to 9am. After that its not allowed. I can set it up to record the night before but it stops at 9am. Maybe because its such a large block, I dunno but it hurts. I cant find any 3d on demand either, I thought they were going to have some up. Maybe in a day or 2.
I sure will miss it when its gone.

Farad.....I am surprised it is working for you using the 8300. Just curious where you live? I know a bunch of NYC customers are having problems and I am wondering if you live there. 3DTV is channel 484 in NYC. I also have a HD66 projector, 3DXL box, and a 8300.
post #102 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney538 View Post

Farad.....I am surprised it is working for you using the 8300. Just curious where you live? I know a bunch of NYC customers are having problems and I am wondering if you live there. 3DTV is channel 484 in NYC. I also have a HD66 projector, 3DXL box, and a 8300.

For what it's worth, I have an 8300 and it's working fine, but I am on Long Island and have Cablevision. Funny thing is on one of my recordings, it briefly showed the xfinity screen before switching to the one Cablevision is using. I guess they're getting their feed from Comcast?
post #103 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I can confirm that in california on comcast, 3D works with the Motorola DCH34xx box and a 3D 1080p set (sharp 70C8470U and panasonic 50 ST30). In my area the channel the 3D channels are 897 and 898. I don't recall seeing 898 in the guide last night. 897 is carrying some olympic content in 3D, but at odd times and delayed. there's none on during prime time.
post #104 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 PM

I'm in northwest pa, near lake erie. ch1800 here.

Just finished watching the canoeing, really liked that alot. Hope I manage to catch the final.

I see tomorrow is all one block starting at 7am. It let me set it to record, but I doubt it'll be there when I get home.

Fritz! Fritz, get up for God's sake! Get up! They've killed Fritz! They've killed Fritz! Those lousy stinking yellow fairies! Those horrible atrocity-filled vermin! Those despicable animal warmongers!
post #105 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I think you are correct the more I think about it. What burns my a$$ is TWC should
informed their Techs of this issue ...it took me 3 days of calling before someone suggested it might be the box...not
that they knew why like you explained ..only becasue that's usually their answer when they can't figure something out...so
they say it's your box.

I want the Cisco 8642 HD-DVR model but I have many recordings on my 8300 DVR so I'm going to just add the newer
model and keep the old box for another month before I send it in.

Thanks for the explanation regarding the MPG2 and MPG4 which seems to make sense...only if the
TWC techs knew this it could have been resolved on my first call instead of 3 days and several calls and a long chat.

See My AVS Classified Ad .
post #106 of 166 Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I'm in Rochester NY...

I fought with the TWC techs Friday, Sat, and Sunday.

I have the newer Cisco box in my theater and they couldn't turn on the Olympic 3D.

I may go in and trade it out to see if it helps or just say F-IT to the Olympics in 3D.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #107 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 04:06 AM

It started recording so far so good, lol. wow it would rock if I could actually get a whole days worth of coverage.

Yesterdays canoeing will be living on my dvr for quite sum time.

post #108 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FARAD View Post

It started recording so far so good, lol. wow it would rock if I could actually get a whole days worth of coverage.

Yesterdays canoeing will be living on my dvr for quite sum time.

I was able to record the other day on my DVR but today no luck.... says it's full when its at 32% lol.

They are playing the kayak/canoe right now and it does have a cool perspective shot that looks cool. +1 for canoe lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #109 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
FYI anyone on TWC with the 8300 - there is a limitation where you cannot record a 10 hr block. The Samsung box has a bigger HD and no limitation.

I will need to exchange mine before Saturday so I can record the trampoline event in 3D lol. That should prove interesting I hope.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #110 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

I'm in Rochester NY...
I fought with the TWC techs Friday, Sat, and Sunday.
I have the newer Cisco box in my theater and they couldn't turn on the Olympic 3D.
I may go in and trade it out to see if it helps or just say F-IT to the Olympics in 3D.

Quick update... I guess three tries is the charm.

Called again this morning, and the tech checked a few things and put in a different code to activate the 3D channel, and viola! 3D Olympics are up and running.

Canoeing was on, and I set it to record for the remainder of the day.

I guess you just need to keep trying with TWC, and eventually you get someone who knows what's up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #111 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 AM

Mine still isn't working despite them fixing my account and re-adding channel 484. I talked to a Supervisor yesterday 4 times (he actually called me back twice). He still doesn't have a definitive answer but one group of his technicians thinks it is the box. He is waiting to hear back from a couple of more groups. I told him why can't his technicians just try the 8300 box to see if they get the same problem as me and if they do, swap it for a newer box to see if that fixes the problem....this is basic troubleshooting, not rocket science. I told him to call me today with an update. He then gave me the phone number of the department that specializes in 3D. The number is 877-671-4206. This is really the Cablecard tech support group. Someone answered fairly quickly and he suggested that it might be the box. He is guessing that the 3D Olympics might be using the same technology that ESPN 3D is using (possibly MPEG 4) and therefore a new box is required. I told him that I didn't want to give me old box up yet and he said that I can get the newer box and keep the old box for now. Then I can return one when I was finished. He made a note on my account so when I go to the TWC store there won't be any problem. I asked him if I can transfer the shows from the old box to the new one. He said that he had heard that it can be done by activating the eSata port. He said to call support and ask for Tier 3. I am skeptical about this since I have heard that either this is not possible or they don't want people doing this.

I would like others to call the above number to see if they can get a definitive answer on both the box issue and on transferring the shows to the new DVR.
post #112 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 AM

Olympics in 3D via 484 is now working as of this morning. Finally.
I wonder what was wrong and why it took TWC 5 days to fix this.
FYI, I have a Samsung 3260 HD box.
post #113 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 09:35 AM

Blue Rain, when will you be getting the new box?
post #114 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 AM

Farad, are they broadcasting it in Side-by-Side format or Top/bottom? Thanks.
post #115 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

I was able to record the other day on my DVR but today no luck.... says it's full when its at 32% lol.
They are playing the kayak/canoe right now and it does have a cool perspective shot that looks cool. +1 for canoe lol
Yes the canoeing looks the best in 3d of all the events so far. I also like the ladies springboard diving 2.
post #116 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 99
I want to shoot that damn Lorax every time I see him dancing across the screen. Ridiculous. I agree the commercial transitions suck - very amateurish. Suddenly you're just watching a commercial or trailer, like instantly. No fades or anything.

F8000 2D settings:

F8000 3D settings:
post #117 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

I have also noticed that the announcers sound is very low (Comcast). The picture looks fine.

Bob Costas is always on the wrong sides when he appears. I have to turn my glasses upside to see the 3d correctly. Maybe it is just his negativity causing it.
post #118 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post

Olympics in 3D via 484 is now working as of this morning. Finally.
I wonder what was wrong and why it took TWC 5 days to fix this.
FYI, I have a Samsung 3260 HD box.

Hmmm.. I just checked and not working here .

post #119 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney538 View Post

Blue Rain, when will you be getting the new box?

I wanted to go today during lunch today but things came up and I was no where near 23rd st.

I will go tomorrow for sure and will report back with new box.

post #120 of 166 Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmin View Post

I have also noticed that the announcers sound is very low (Comcast). The picture looks fine.
Bob Costas is always on the wrong sides when he appears. I have to turn my glasses upside to see the 3d correctly. Maybe it is just his negativity causing it.

I think you have the wrong glasses if it's upside down.

Reply 3D Content

Tags
3d Hdtv , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page