2012 Olympics in 3D from NBC & Panasonic - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 166 Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Although the women's spring board is over I can't find out who the two commentators were, a male Britt and a Scottish women I scoured the BBC site no luck anybody know who they are??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 166 Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Rodney - I am surprised they said it wouldn't work... My 8300 is VERY old, have to have had it going at least 3-4 years. I don't think it would be a regional thing, the 3D feed seems generic and unlocalized (playing the same commercials for Lorax, Revolution, etc).

I am actually going to ditch mine after I finish a couple of episodes on the DVR. Going to get the more compact Samsung box so I can actually have the cable box in our entertainment center.... The 8300 is a freaking beast lol and has a smaller HD than the Samsung one.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #153 of 166 Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Rodney - I am surprised they said it wouldn't work... My 8300 is VERY old, have to have had it going at least 3-4 years. I don't think it would be a regional thing, the 3D feed seems generic and unlocalized (playing the same commercials for Lorax, Revolution, etc).
I am actually going to ditch mine after I finish a couple of episodes on the DVR. Going to get the more compact Samsung box so I can actually have the cable box in our entertainment center.... The 8300 is a freaking beast lol and has a smaller HD than the Samsung one.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I don't think that it is a regional thing either.

You may want to call the store before you decide to swap. At my store it took 2 people a total of 15 minutes to find a new 8642 (they had tons of 8300's). They said that they only give out 8300's but I insisted that I needed something newer to get the 3D. Someone else also mentioned (possibly on this thread) that their store only had 1 of the newer DVR's boxes left. They don't seem to have or want to give out the newer boxes. If they give you a hard time tell them that you may want ESPN 3D which according to their website requires one of their newer boxes. Make sure you bring a printout from here:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/site.faqs/DigitalCab/3DTV/Will-all-HD-set-top-boxes-be-a

TWC is clueless. I talked to 5 people over a few days and nobody could figure out why the 3D wasn't working. 2 of them had no solution, 2 of them said that I might need a new box and 1 of them said that I definitely needed a new box. I got my 8300 in either 2005 or 2006 and the supervisor at the store said that the ones made starting in 2007 should work with 3D but who knows (they don't...that's for sure).

When I change channels on the 8642, when it tries to pull up the new channel, the screen is frozen for about a half-second or so (likw when you pause a video) before the show starts moving. Is this normal for the 8642? It is a little annoying. The 8300 doesn't do this.
post #154 of 166 Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

I wish they would stop it with the Lorax pop-over commercial that covers up a lot of the screen during the 3D Olympics coverage. I don't mind the full screen commercial breaks, but the pop-over often covers up completely banner information on an event!
I completely agree. I've gone so far as to write Panasonic, Comcast, and Universal telling them that I will never ever ever buy the Lorax Blu-ray/DVD, never see the movie even if it's free, and never buy any associated merchandise. It is the most annoying advertisement I've ever seen, taking up 15% of the screen, lasting 10 seconds, and making noise that obscures what's going on in the competition. I have no idea if the e-mail addresses I wrote to will get the message to the right people, but I encourage everyone else to do it too. If enough people complain that this stupid ad could be causing potential 3D customers to give up on the format, perhaps it'll stop being run (and future ones will be prevented).
nyunole and BriscoCountyJr like this.
post #155 of 166 Old 08-08-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Alison Sheppard is the woman...have no idea who the guy is.
post #156 of 166 Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERosenbrg View Post

I completely agree. I've gone so far as to write Panasonic, Comcast, and Universal telling them that I will never ever ever buy the Lorax Blu-ray/DVD, never see the movie even if it's free, and never buy any associated merchandise. It is the most annoying advertisement I've ever seen, taking up 15% of the screen, lasting 10 seconds, and making noise that obscures what's going on in the competition. I have no idea if the e-mail addresses I wrote to will get the message to the right people, but I encourage everyone else to do it too. If enough people complain that this stupid ad could be causing potential 3D customers to give up on the format, perhaps it'll stop being run (and future ones will be prevented).
When they put The Lorax over Paul McCartney, that's when I lost it....eek.gif

"MMMM,Snout!"---Homer Simpson
post #157 of 166 Old 08-09-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

Alison Sheppard is the woman...have no idea who the guy is.

Thanks Rudy it was driving me nuts not knowing who she was. How did you get the info on the 3D commentators? They never seemed to introduce themselves, or I keep missing it.
post #158 of 166 Old 08-09-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERosenbrg View Post

No worries it'll all be over on Sunday. But seriously they strategically implement the Lorax snipe when your fixated on an event. Take the Women's gymnastics artistic, they never once showed the snipe during the rotations only when your looking at stats or a critical moment is when they run it. I also found out that TWC here in Los Angeles is switching my stations when I'm recording through firewire, it happened two days in a row changing it over to PBS. Hey TWC if you don't want us to record your 3D channel you should have flagged it like you do with 1/3 of your other channels via firewire..
post #159 of 166 Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

Thanks Rudy it was driving me nuts not knowing who she was. How did you get the info on the 3D commentators? They never seemed to introduce themselves, or I keep missing it.

I just happened to hear the male announcer mention her full name a few times.
post #160 of 166 Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 PM

is channel 1300 black right now for anyone else on cablevision? yorktown system.
post #161 of 166 Old 08-11-2012, 06:01 AM

Liked: 11
Yes, Cablevision channel 1300 is dark here in Wappingers Falls, NY also. Is it working on other systems?
ripple420 likes this.
post #162 of 166 Old 08-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs_rdr View Post

Yes, Cablevision channel 1300 is dark here in Wappingers Falls, NY also. Is it working on other systems?
Thanks, glad its not just me. My plasma panel was replaced yesterday. I was concerned it was related to that.
Still dark today too. I can go to ch 1300 and the info is there but no picture. Resolution doesnt change to 1080 either when coming off a 720 channel.

Edit- chatted online with cablevision who said there is no outage and claims my signal strength (which i see as -2) is weak, and its working for him at his location. I doubt its signal.
Edit2- back today (monday morning)
post #163 of 166 Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
At the conclusion of the 3D Olympic broadcast yesterday Verizon showed "Encounter in the Third Dimension" but it was in 2D. I have the original and it shows Elvira in 3D. It was strange to see a 2D movie on a 3D channel-1003. The movie kept referring to a problem with their 3D showing but I never did see 3D. The movie does explain 3D and its history.
post #164 of 166 Old 08-13-2012, 10:51 PM

I just watched the closing ceremonies and WOW!! Absolutely spectacular in 3D.

One of the best things I have seen since I got my 3D projector.

At one point when the camera moved through flurry of confetti I thought I would have vacuum my carpet again, even though I had just done it a couple of hours before - the confetti was flowing out of the screen.

And unlike NBC's coverage, nothing was cut out - it was all there.

Karl S.
post #165 of 166 Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The channel was ok for a "captive" audience.Same commercials 2500 times.Announcers not audible first 4 days.Not a whole lot of portable 3D cameras used,most were stationary.Just a "sad" production on the 3D side.No outside events.On a 1 to 10,I would give a 3.

WAP 16.

post #166 of 166 Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 View Post

The channel was ok for a "captive" audience.Same commercials 2500 times.Announcers not audible first 4 days.Not a whole lot of portable 3D cameras used,most were stationary.Just a "sad" production on the 3D side.No outside events.On a 1 to 10,I would give a 3.

On the Comcast Xfinity 3D channel I saw some "outside" events, including rowing, archery, track and field, and kayaking. But I agree...NBC and Panasonic could've done way better for their first 3D broadcast of the Olympics. Maybe they'll get it right in Brazil.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
3d Hdtv , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page