Just Watched 2012 Tonight - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
And all I kept thinking throughout the movie was, "damn, this would have looked great in 3D".

Well, I was also thinking things like, "wow, that was just plain stupid". But definitely a movie that could have benefited from 3D imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I think so too. Lots of scenes for good depth and some pop outs.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-12-2012, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it wontbe as good as a 3D blu, but you could always convert it to 3D and see how it looks,

i have found the 2D-3D conversion is hit or miss, i converted avatar, looked great, converted megamind, not so much
post #4 of 6 Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

it wontbe as good as a 3D blu, but you could always convert it to 3D and see how it looks,

i have found the 2D-3D conversion is hit or miss, i converted avatar, looked great, converted megamind, not so much

I never even thought of that. I have a Sony HX800 55" and the 2D-3D conversion is absolute garbage. It's so bad I feel ripped off even thinking about it. Initially I thought maybe I had a defective set, but I later came to the conclusion that Sony 3D conversion just sucks. I'd try it, just for fun, but I already deleted the movie off my DVR.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We all have different expectations.

We watched our 2D dvd of 2012 using our LG TV's 2D to 3D conversion and we both thought some of the 3D was much better than "okay".

Of course not a 3D experience as with a movie shot and post produced in 3D but still fun. 2D to 3D processing will continue to improve just as 3D production will continue to improve but it's all a great additive to our 2D viewing - in other words, to us, even when it's bad it's good.

We put one of our home video movie DVDs in the conversion mode and the added 3D component was surprisingly fun to watch.

3D video entertainment was decades late in arriving and while it is still in its "roll out" or infancy it is still SO MUCH BETTER than flat or 2D and it's just going to get better and better.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
For me 3D is about having a movie set drop in on me. I tend to look closely at the edges of things to note the difference in depth planes, and with realtime conversion those parts are usually stretched and blended instead of properly separated, and sometimes on the wrong plane entirely.

2D has plenty of depth cues already, so I much prefer an untampered 2D film over realtime conversion.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page