Is Avatar going to be available for general purchase in February - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post

I'm also sure he means other than off eBay for 80-90 dollars, or without purchasing a Panasonic tv, htib, or blu ray player.

Sadly it no longer counts if you buy a Panasonic TV, you have to buy a BRD player or Home Theater system with BRD... I just bought a Panny TV, and unless I missed something, i dont qualify, even though i spent $2500 on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah you're right but I think you can buy the glasses set with it already included, no?
post #33 of 56 Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Well I got tired of waiting for info so just ordered one from overseas from the link someone provided. We'll see how it looks.

Mike
post #34 of 56 Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by REL77 View Post

Sadly it no longer counts if you buy a Panasonic TV, you have to buy a BRD player or Home Theater system with BRD... I just bought a Panny TV, and unless I missed something, i dont qualify, even though i spent $2500 on it.

It didn't come with the TV for me either and I bought mine in May. It just came with the BD player. I don't see why people would pay 80 or 90 for a copy when you can get it with a 120$ bd player. Even if you don't need the BD player you could probably turn around and sell it on craiglist for at least 70, probably more.
post #35 of 56 Old 01-17-2012, 10:58 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

Yeah you're right but I think you can buy the glasses set with it already included, no?

I don't see that:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TY-EW3D3MPK2
post #36 of 56 Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 PM

post #37 of 56 Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

Attachment 234508

That one

That's the old one - limited to existing stock. I linked the new one
post #38 of 56 Old 01-17-2012, 11:22 PM

I was simply telling you which one I was talking about which to the best of my knowledge physically has the disc in it, no mail away. You can easily find that one all over the Internet still and if not I know a store by me that has a few of them in stock. I can always find out the price but I'm sure online will be cheaper.
post #39 of 56 Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19

James Cameron may have teased us with the thought of Avatar sequels in 2013 and 2014, but producer Jon Landau has revealed that we shouldn't be holding our breath - with the 3D classic not getting its next episode until 2016.

Speaking at a screening of Titanic 3D, Landau confessed that a sequel is 'four years away', which means we will have waited a massive seven years from the first film, although Avatar 3 may well be filmed at the same time and screened a year later.

Despite a massive price tag, the genius that is James Cameron proved that 3D could be a major draw - with the original Avatar smashing box office records despite criticism from reviewers.
Another dimension

Creating a CGI world and rendering it in an extra dimension pushed the boundaries of movie tech, something that Cameron has been a passionate advocate of throughout his career.

With his business partner Vince Pace recently suggesting that technology had now moved well beyond what was done in the original Avatar, we can't wait to see what is planned for Avatar 2.

But Landau suggested that the footage would be filmed at 50 frames per second, but by his timeframe we will have to wait several years to take a look.
http://3dradar.techradar.com/3d-tech...way-12-01-2012
post #40 of 56 Old 01-31-2012, 03:42 AM

Still no official word yet that I can find, however there is a online store from Australia which is showing it available in March for purchase - this may be pure guess work on there part or they may know something that we are only wishing for! Will keep you all posted if I hear more!
post #41 of 56 Old 02-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm guessing that the exclusivity deal with Panasonic precludes advertising for the stand-alone disc until the exclusivity deal is over as that would reduce the value of the exclusivity deal during the period which it is in force.

In other words, I don't think anyone's going to buy the Panny over another model just because they can send away for the Avatar3D disc (6-8 week wait, I presume?) when they know for sure that they can just buy the disc (and hopefully, it will be the extended version for the 3D general retail release) in 4 weeks. So I would presume there is an advertising blackout in effect till the Panny exclusivity deal expires.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #42 of 56 Old 02-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Liked: 13
I've tried to watch that movie several times on HBO.
I know it's about the visual WOW factor, but the characters and story line are too lame to sit thru. Not looking to start a debate.

post #43 of 56 Old 02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'm not a huge fan of the movie, I thought it was ok. I would only purchase it for demo material. I am tempted to get one off the bay but $80-90 for a movie is a littlle hard to swollow. Wish we knew for sure if/when it will be released to us non panny owners....

post #44 of 56 Old 02-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakstone View Post

I've tried to watch that movie several times on HBO.
I know it's about the visual WOW factor, but the characters and story line are too lame to sit thru. Not looking to start a debate.

I agree, I saw it in 3D in the theater, but had some friends that saw it in 2D for various reasons (like because 1 person out of a group of 10 going said they don't like 3D because it gives them a headache...), and I really felt bad for them after there was so much hype about the movie. I really felt like the 3D helped carry the movie by making it such a visually stunning experience that you didn't really notice or care much about the plot holes, acting, quality of the story so much during the first viewing. Even if they went back to see it in 3D, that first time experience was lost to them. Sad. So sad.

I'm still looking forward to having it in 3D in about 4 weeks though. At the very least I expect an announcement of it's impending availability at that point. As long as it's the Extended version in 3D, I will buy it right away. The movie isn't good enough to warrant a double-dip from me.

post #45 of 56 Old 02-01-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

James Cameron may have teased us with the thought of Avatar sequels in 2013 and 2014, but producer Jon Landau has revealed that we shouldn't be holding our breath - with the 3D classic not getting its next episode until 2016.

Speaking at a screening of Titanic 3D, Landau confessed that a sequel is 'four years away', which means we will have waited a massive seven years from the first film, although Avatar 3 may well be filmed at the same time and screened a year later.

Despite a massive price tag, the genius that is James Cameron proved that 3D could be a major draw - with the original Avatar smashing box office records despite criticism from reviewers.
Another dimension

Creating a CGI world and rendering it in an extra dimension pushed the boundaries of movie tech, something that Cameron has been a passionate advocate of throughout his career.

With his business partner Vince Pace recently suggesting that technology had now moved well beyond what was done in the original Avatar, we can't wait to see what is planned for Avatar 2.

But Landau suggested that the footage would be filmed at 50 frames per second, but by his timeframe we will have to wait several years to take a look.
http://3dradar.techradar.com/3d-tech...way-12-01-2012

Is Cameron the only guy in Hollywood that would rather take his time making sure something is done right than rushing out inferior sequels?

... too bad he can't let someone else write dialogue for him
post #46 of 56 Old 02-03-2012, 10:49 PM

I bought 2 Panny BD players and sent for the Avatar 3D discs. Received them after 3 weeks. Sold 1 immediately on ebay and sold the other about 2 weeks later after watching it a couple of times. I'm very pleased with my BD players, especially the BDT310 which I needed for the separate audio and video HDMI outs. And I will buy it again when it hits the retail market.
post #47 of 56 Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK78 View Post

Well I got tired of waiting for info so just ordered one from overseas from the link someone provided. We'll see how it looks.

Mike

Just came on Friday and looks fantastic... Shipping was only about 2-weeks and the price was great.

Mike
post #48 of 56 Old 02-06-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I bit the bullett and bought one off the bay. The guy was local so I took a chance. It is an unopened, legit copy. To me, it is the benchmark. Incredible use of 3d. It cost about 2.5 times the cost of an average disk but to me it was worth it.

post #49 of 56 Old 02-13-2012, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Avatar 2 could be released 2013 Xmas. The reason for the delay isn't production. They want to sync the launch of Avatar 2 with Disney's Avatar Land which just happens to be opening in 2016.

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinati...world/548364/1

That was announced 4 months prior to this "delay" of the release of AV2. Coincidence? NOT! What Disney wants, Disney gets. 400million dollar park is gonna be awesome though. Especially holographics and I would think touch sensitive plants and fauna that light up. They will have all the monorail trains decked out in Avatar theme with movie launch date on it.

Would like to know when the Exclusivity is up though on the first one and if the extended version is coming out in 3D. (Yeah, that will be 4 copies.)

Cool Beans.
post #50 of 56 Old 02-13-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

Would like to know when the Exclusivity is up though on the first one and if the extended version is coming out in 3D. (Yeah, that will be 4 copies.)

Probably not. Extended versions of other films released in 3D (such as HAROLD & KUMAR and GREEN LANTERN) have always been 2D only. Unless Cameron will offer the time and money to have the additional scenes recalibrated for 3D. But I wouldn't count on that.

post #51 of 56 Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 PM

deleted.
post #52 of 56 Old 02-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is quite frustrating! I really want this disc, but I refuse to buy more hardware just to get it.
post #53 of 56 Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Probably not. Extended versions of other films released in 3D (such as HAROLD & KUMAR and GREEN LANTERN) have always been 2D only. Unless Cameron will offer the time and money to have the additional scenes recalibrated for 3D. But I wouldn't count on that.

there are 3 versions of avatar. there is the theatre version, the special edition re-release and then the collectors edition. I dont know about the collectors edition is in 3d. but the special edition theatre re-release was in 3d. saw it twice.

Jacob
post #54 of 56 Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post

This is quite frustrating! I really want this disc, but I refuse to buy more hardware just to get it.

I really think we'll see an announcement as soon as the exclusivity deal is up at the end of February. You've waited this long, you can wait two more weeks...

post #55 of 56 Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

I really think we'll see an announcement as soon as the exclusivity deal is up at the end of February. You've waited this long, you can wait two more weeks...

Yeah, you're right. ...but the suspense is still killing me. LOL.
post #56 of 56 Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 AM

Liked: 11
In the UK, Avatar has been showing on Sky3d since December 2010. Its final showing is March 17.

Perhaps that ties in with its wider availability?
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page