You Tube 3D on TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure whether to post here or on the Samsung forum...but can anyone explain how to watch the 3D Videos on the You Tube App for Samsung Smart TV? I have the D7000 and when I try to watch the videos, I can't figure out how to convert them to 3D. When I press the 3D button on the remote, nothing happens when I'm in the You Tube app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 AM

Hopefully someone has a answer to this. I just have the 51D490PN Plasma +1 display so no built in youtube viewer. I just use the hdmi cable and my laptop but its not very conviente. I was going to get a samsung bluray 3d player so I assume it would be the same problem?

I know my xbox wont find true yt3d videos thru their youtube app....
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Before opening YouTube, enter the 3d menu & see whether "3d Auto View" is set to on or off. You'll probably need it to off, Since YouTube likely can't send the 3d hdmi info.

Then make sure the "3d mode" is set to "Side by Side" (or Top & Bottom; but 90% of YouTube 3d feeds are SBS). Then open YouTube & try again.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 112
theBard- Right that YouTube doesn't do frame packing that I'm aware. I use youTube set to SBS Half frame here which is compatible with my monitor. Once you subscribe to YouTube you can set your defaults to have it go to SBS and a higher resolution if available anytime you hit a video with 3D. It's nice that YT has an excellent user choice of different 3D formats.

The real problem still is that on YT the menu selection and main GUI for surfiong youTube is still 2D so once you put your TV in 3D SBS mode it is very difficult to surf the YT site.
There are two technical solutions to this. One is to use a checkerboard 3D format monitor, but unfortunately these are in very limited supply and are considered an obsolete technology. The second solution is with a properly implemented 3D auto sensing technology that will auto switch your monitor to 3D when the screen is in FULL 3D Mode, regardless of whether its SBS, TB, or Frame Packing. If not in full screen 3D mode then the monitor remains in 2D. This technology is from a company called "Sensio" Sony is also working on it's own version of the technology. Once this technology is implemented, you'll be able to surf the YT channels and videos in 2D for selection and when you wish to play, select full screen and it will auto switch to SBS 3D.

One more thing you need to realize is that YT is mostly user quality controlled 3D and as such much of what I see up there is very poor 3D quality. I'm not talking about content, but rather technical quality of the 3D form. I've seen the range of issues from claiming 3D but it is only 2D to 3D left right images that are so far out of sync it's a complete mess.

My channel offers quite a few video programs in 3D, a few in 2D too, that I take pride in controlling the quality of the 3D to the best of my state of the art. If a problem is pointed out to be I try to correct it or pull the video down. I don't want to show 3D as a silly gimmick or give the impression that 3D sucks because of the quality of program I put up. My programs are not high end but rather home videos. Most are edited but when not edited and direct camera shoots, I state that in the description.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DonLandis
post #5 of 8 Old 02-18-2012, 04:32 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Before opening YouTube, enter the 3d menu & see whether "3d Auto View" is set to on or off. You'll probably need it to off, Since YouTube likely can't send the 3d hdmi info.

Then make sure the "3d mode" is set to "Side by Side" (or Top & Bottom; but 90% of YouTube 3d feeds are SBS). Then open YouTube & try again.

I tired giving this a shot but it doesn't work on my C8000 Samsung plasma. Once I turn on the Internet@TV apps, the TV switches back to 2D mode even if I turned off 3D Auto View and then turned on 3D mode to SBS.

There seems to be no way to force the TV back in to 3D mode under YT. It only seems to work in the Samsung Explore 3D app. Is there something else I should be doing?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Seems like the no way to watch 3D on the you tube app for Samsung. Kinda lame since they added the feature of having 3D videos on the app. Our else I can't figure it out
post #7 of 8 Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM

Liked: 11
I use YouTube off of the Samsung 3D bluray player app. Fools the TV into thinking it is a disc, rather than Internet TV (which doesn't support 3D on Samsung TVs)so it works. Also the audio works through my receiver, rather than having to use ARC, which you would if the audio was coming from the TV. However, you have to re-select 3D each time you change videos Unfortunately, the Blu-ray does not offer the Explore 3D app, only the TV does.

"MMMM,Snout!"---Homer Simpson
post #8 of 8 Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Geller View Post

I use YouTube off of the Samsung 3D bluray player app. Fools the TV into thinking it is a disc, rather than Internet TV (which doesn't support 3D on Samsung TVs)so it works. Also the audio works through my receiver, rather than having to use ARC, which you would if the audio was coming from the TV. However, you have to re-select 3D each time you change videos Unfortunately, the Blu-ray does not offer the Explore 3D app, only the TV does.

Thanks for the tip... I'll give that a shot using my Samsung 3D player.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page