Underworld: Awakening - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm surprised that know one has seen this film as of yet since it's release last Friday.

Saw it in the 3D IMAX version and throughly enjoyed it; best of the 4 so far (better story line) . Lot of good 3d depth and pop.

3D keeps getting better and we are looking forward a number of 3 D releases of the next few months to suit every ones taste.

It will be a purchase for me when eventually released in 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love the series asside from the prequel. The newest had a ton of action but not much progress on the series plot. Kate beckensale in leather never gets old!! I did like the 3d eye candy
post #3 of 11 Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
So no problem with it being too dark? It was a fear of mine since I'm sure most of the movie takes place at night and in dark places. At the same time it was filmed in 3D so I would hope they took darkening of the glasses into account.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Underworld on The 3D IMAX screen was Great !
post #5 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Please tell me how Kate looked in 3D???
post #6 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

Please tell me how Kate looked in 3D???

Much better than she looked in 2D.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 06:07 PM

Liked: 16
Just saw this movie in IMAX 3D and loved it! Of course it won't win any awards for plot, but it has some very cool action sequences with the lovely Kate Beckinsale.

I enjoyed the 3D aspect although it isn't on the same level as Avatar or Resident Evil: Afterlife. The directors probably didn't spend as much effort making sure their set locations were impressive in 3D or that their shots were always layered with foreground, middle, and background objects. Since the movie was shot in 3D with a full aspect ratio and being displayed on a mammoth IMAX screen, I got the sensation that was literally hovering above Mrs. Beckinsale and the stylish action sequences, making it $10 well spent.

The depth was very good but nothing breathtaking. It's definitely a dark movie like you would expect from Underworld, but it never caused anything to look 2D. A couple of locations, including a construction yard and a parking garage, did have great shots that recessed deep into the screen, but there could have been more. There were several quick pop-outs where weapons are thrown directly at the camera, and throughout the film, people, lycans, smoke, and explosions will just barely breach the plane of the screen pretty regularly.

There were multiple missed opportunities for some what-could-have-been awesome 3D moments. My eyes got wide with excitement when a vamp pulled out a chain-linked whip to fight a lycan, but he didn't swing it around nearly enough to make it into a 3D spectacle.

Despite its few shortcomings and failure to maximize its 3D potential, this movie will be near the top of my BD3D wishlist. We need more quality live-action 3D content like this on the market.

Stereography - 3/5
Depth - 4/5
Pop-out - 4/5
Fun factor - 4.5/5
post #8 of 11 Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I posted my take on it in the sticky at the top:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=499

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

Just saw this movie in IMAX 3D and loved it! Of course it won't win any awards for plot, but it has some very cool action sequences with the lovely Kate Beckinsale.

I enjoyed the 3D aspect although it isn't on the same level as Avatar or Resident Evil: Afterlife. The directors probably didn't spend as much effort making sure their set locations were impressive in 3D or that their shots were always layered with foreground, middle, and background objects. Since the movie was shot in 3D with a full aspect ratio and being displayed on a mammoth IMAX screen, I got the sensation that was literally hovering above Mrs. Beckinsale and the stylish action sequences, making it $10 well spent.

The depth was very good but nothing breathtaking. It's definitely a dark movie like you would expect from Underworld, but it never caused anything to look 2D. A couple of locations, including a construction yard and a parking garage, did have great shots that recessed deep into the screen, but there could have been more. There were several quick pop-outs where weapons are thrown directly at the camera, and throughout the film, people, lycans, smoke, and explosions will just barely breach the plane of the screen pretty regularly.

There were multiple missed opportunities for some what-could-have-been awesome 3D moments. My eyes got wide with excitement when a vamp pulled out a chain-linked whip to fight a lycan, but he didn't swing it around nearly enough to make it into a 3D spectacle.

Despite its few shortcomings and failure to maximize its 3D potential, this movie will be near the top of my BD3D wishlist. We need more quality live-action 3D content like this on the market.

Stereography - 3/5
Depth - 4/5
Pop-out - 4/5
Fun factor - 4.5/5

I'll agree with most of what you said, including my buying this in 3D/BD. However, given I also saw it in IMAX 3D, I would have been much more apt to say see it in IMAX than in 3D for the reasons you stated. Not much in the 3D effect to write home about (or pay a $4 upcharge IMHO) and I agree they missed several made for 3D possibilities.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-27-2012, 11:57 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

I'll agree with most of what you said, including my buying this in 3D/BD. However, given I also saw it in IMAX 3D, I would have been much more apt to say see it in IMAX than in 3D for the reasons you stated. Not much in the 3D effect to write home about (or pay a $4 upcharge IMHO) and I agree they missed several made for 3D possibilities.

I think IMAX and 3D kind of go hand-in-hand, and I'm glad my theater just has one combined $5 upcharge. The IMAX 3D version is definitely the one that the directors had in mind when they shot the movie.

If I had to choose one though, I'd choose 3D. Without IMAX, I'd have missed the full aspect ratio, 2K res monster screen, and 7.1 surround sound. However, native 3D just makes the image so much more natural-looking and exciting for me. Although I enjoyed both very much, a more life-like Kate Beckinsale trumps earth-quake inducing surround sound for me any day.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 02:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I was reading this thread and agree with what is said. IMO the 3D in this movie was just horrible. I've seen Avatar also which was decent in 3D. Underworld just looked like a bunch of cartoon popup overlays. Ruined the movie for me.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page