Netflix 3D letdown? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
edtorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://gigaom.com/video/netflix-video-games-3d/

"The company is already offering 3-D Blu-rays for rent, but hasn't said how well these titles are doing. Subscription plans for physical discs have been declining sharply, and Hastings said during the call that he expects these numbers to decline quarter-over-quarter "forever.""

While Blockbuster is now offering more 3D Blu-ray. It looks like Netflix is going the opposite way! Their 3D Blu-rays are so meager as it is already and now it looks like they're shooting it down already and going to do STREAMING 3D?!?

That's it, I'm canceling my subscription with Netflix and switching to Blockbuster.

Sony XBR-55HX929 review

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
edtorious is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Bummer. Was really hoping Netflix would jump on the 3d disc rentals soon, but it does not look good.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #3 of 28 Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mounta1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

http://gigaom.com/video/netflix-video-games-3d/

"The company is already offering 3-D Blu-rays for rent, but hasn't said how well these titles are doing. Subscription plans for physical discs have been declining sharply, and Hastings said during the call that he expects these numbers to decline quarter-over-quarter "forever.""

While Blockbuster is now offering more 3D Blu-ray. It looks like Netflix is going the opposite way! Their 3D Blu-rays are so meager as it is already and now it looks like they're shooting it down already and going to do STREAMING 3D?!?

That's it, I'm canceling my subscription with Netflix and switching to Blockbuster.

And what 3D blu-rays are they already offering for rent? I can't find any.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
Mounta1n is offline  
post #4 of 28 Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
edtorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post


And what 3D blu-rays are they already offering for rent? I can't find any.

Type the word 3d in search and it will give you very little result and almost none, hence my frustration with Netflix.

Sony XBR-55HX929 review

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
edtorious is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Now that BBi is no longer a corporate entity (as in it is owned by DISH - I would NEVER give a penny of revenue to BBi - personal issue ) and they don't charge a premium for BDs like Netflix does, I am strongly considering dropping our Netflix OD rental by mail service and going to BBi if they are really renting 3D BDs.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Senior Member
 
karlsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Baker City, OR
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Netflix doesn't get a lot of 2D Blu-ray titles, even with the extra charge, so it doesn't surprise me that they get almost no 3D. After using them continuously since 1998, I am thinking of cutting way back on their service.

Karl S.
karlsch is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Summa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Well maybe if they would have sent out an email, or put a notice on their site, or SOMETHING like that, we would have known that they are carrying 3d titles. I honestly don't understand how this company can go from being almost perfect since I signed up in 2001 to one of the most clueless organizations on earth. It just makes no sense. I wish they would just sell the company to someone who has a clue so that we can get back to having what we used to have with Netflix - amazing value.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Summa is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
ferl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Well maybe if they would have sent out an email, or put a notice on their site, or SOMETHING like that, we would have known that they are carrying 3d.

Search for Hubble 3D and read the comments. People are saying the movie is not 3D. Has anyone actually received 3D content from Netflix in either Blu-Ray or streaming? It appears that the movies listed actually have "3D" in the title.

ferl is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 05:46 AM
Member
 
linetest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's simple really. Netflix wants to be 100% streaming. Not likely they will invest in physical disks much longer.
linetest is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Billbofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Call me crazy, but I would actually prefer a streaming, on-demand library of 3D titles.

I currently have Netflix for streaming and BB online for physical discs in the mail, but it is near impossible to get the 3D disc you want when you want it. I have cycled through every single 3D Imax doc while the higher profile titles get passed over due to poor availability and quantity. I do applaud BB for having the physical disc option, but it's nowhere near where it should be.

As for a true streaming 3D option to my existing Netflix, why is this considered such a letdown. First, this is no shock at all Netflix would do this since they obviously are moving away from all physical media. This would actually make a gigantic increase in available content and nobody has to worry about waiting six weeks to see Yogi in 3D. I think this would be a massive win for 3D.

I realize this would be a hit to the quality over a 3D blu ray, but that is a sacrifice I would be willing to wait on probably 80% of the 3D out there now. Plus, streaming quality gets better and better each day to where digital vs physical achieve parity.

I'm about as big a fan of 3D as you can be, but being able to click a button and be watching a movie in 10 seconds, I'll deal with the quality loss and buy the movies I will truly get value out of. It does suck that 3D on disc is so hard to find options for but so many missteps have already happened from exclusive deals, ridiculous list price, shoddy conversions, equipment confusion....... I can't look at an on-demand streaming option as anything other than a huge win.
Billbofet is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Doug Schiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Netflix is the king of add on charges, they would find a way to add $1+ per month even though the actual bitstream would probably the same bandwidth.
Doug Schiller is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Originally, I got quite excited when after Christmas I saw about a dozen titles that are known 3DBD listed when I did my weekly search for "3D"; before this nothing showed up.

So I packed out my queue with them all just to see what came in. Here's the result:

The first title was one I hadn't seen yet which was "Nutcracker in 3D" In 3 days I got the disk but what arrived was: The Nutcracker: The untold story. No mention that is was 3D on the jacket or disk. I returned it with a notification that it was the wrong disk. Netflix said they would sent the correct disk. There was an additional delay as I said don't send anything else until you have the 3D disk. I finally got the new disk and was pleased to first see that the jacket this time had a different title- It said "The Nutcracker in 3D" Finally, I get what I requested! But my excitement soon ended when I played the disk and it was the exact same disk as the one with the different jacket.

I didn't spend much time researching it but would like to have a phone number to talk to someone in charge of this. If anyone has a number, Please post it. Push comes to shove, I'm still a stockholder and I'll make noise through those channels if I have to.

I'm a real 3D enthusiast and this false advertising of 3D offerings really annoys me.

Then I read the linked article and see Reed Hastings acknowledges they have 3D titles. Now my blood is boiling! Either Reed is behind the scam or he is clueless and doesn't realize his company is screwing up the 3D offering so badly. Please someone show me how wrong I am!

To date, I have not heard any credible reports that Netflix has sent any 3D titles on those 3D listings in the search. I am encouraged that the intent is there but the execution is still falling short. Most likely this is going to be an education process from us enthusiasts to Netflix. All we need is a channel of communications.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Don Landis
Don Landis is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 2,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Netflix has NO 3D TITLES..period. Anything that says 3D is mis-leading.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Wryker is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nickels55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warrington, PA
Posts: 1,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well I just searched Netflix for 3D and Jackass 3D came up as a movie I can stream in 3D. Hit play - NOT IN 3D!
nickels55 is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 06:46 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Supposedly Cave of Forgotten Dreams IS 3d from Netflix. Can anyone here confirm or deny with this title?

Problem for me is BB is not as consistent vs Netflix in my area. Netflix I put my discs in the mail Wed, and I have new ones Fri 95% of the time. BB is not as consistent as they will typically take another day to get here.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #16 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Now that BBi is no longer a corporate entity (as in it is owned by DISH - I would NEVER give a penny of revenue to BBi - personal issue ) and they don't charge a premium for BDs like Netflix does, I am strongly considering dropping our Netflix OD rental by mail service and going to BBi if they are really renting 3D BDs.

Lee, I have received a couple titles from Blockbuster in 3D. The Kenney Chesney concert tour in 3D was really great. My biggest complaint with BB as opposed to Netflix is the turn around time. It is slooooow. Because I was away a week for CES, I have only gotten one disk from BB this month. I may get another before the end of the month as it's been 8 days now since returning my last one. If you can get BB Movie pass in store 2 out at a time games and movies for $30 a month. This is the real bargain! I have it and it is possible to exchange 60 disks a month with this deal. I don't have that much time but it is possible.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Don Landis
Don Landis is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Lee, I have received a couple titles from Blockbuster in 3D. The Kenney Chesney concert tour in 3D was really great. My biggest complaint with BB as opposed to Netflix is the turn around time. It is slooooow. Because I was away a week for CES, I have only gotten one disk from BB this month. I may get another before the end of the month as it's been 8 days now since returning my last one. If you can get BB Movie pass in store 2 out at a time games and movies for $30 a month. This is the real bargain! I have it and it is possible to exchange 60 disks a month with this deal. I don't have that much time but it is possible.

Hi Don

Not convinient for me to visit a BBi store so I would have to depend on by-mail. Thanks for the heads up though.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
karlsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Baker City, OR
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Supposedly Cave of Forgotten Dreams IS 3d from Netflix. Can anyone here confirm or deny with this title?

The one Netflix sent me was not 3D.

Karl S.
karlsch is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cinema13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Guys, just use http://www.3d-blurayrental.com/ (I do.) Same cost as streaming but you get lossless audio.

cinema13 is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 2,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Guys, just use http://www.3d-blurayrental.com/ (I do.) Same cost as streaming but you get lossless audio.

And that's who I've been using!! GREAT service!

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Wryker is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Member
 
2D3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

Call me crazy, but I would actually prefer a streaming, on-demand library of 3D titles.

I currently have Netflix for streaming and BB online for physical discs in the mail, but it is near impossible to get the 3D disc you want when you want it. I have cycled through every single 3D Imax doc while the higher profile titles get passed over due to poor availability and quantity. I do applaud BB for having the physical disc option, but it's nowhere near where it should be.

As for a true streaming 3D option to my existing Netflix, why is this considered such a letdown. First, this is no shock at all Netflix would do this since they obviously are moving away from all physical media. This would actually make a gigantic increase in available content and nobody has to worry about waiting six weeks to see Yogi in 3D. I think this would be a massive win for 3D.

I realize this would be a hit to the quality over a 3D blu ray, but that is a sacrifice I would be willing to wait on probably 80% of the 3D out there now. Plus, streaming quality gets better and better each day to where digital vs physical achieve parity.

I'm about as big a fan of 3D as you can be, but being able to click a button and be watching a movie in 10 seconds, I'll deal with the quality loss and buy the movies I will truly get value out of. It does suck that 3D on disc is so hard to find options for but so many missteps have already happened from exclusive deals, ridiculous list price, shoddy conversions, equipment confusion....... I can't look at an on-demand streaming option as anything other than a huge win.



Agree with you 100% !
2D3D is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Newbie
 
Luludoobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive been watching netflix 3d movies and shows for about two weeks now and its awesome. I just recently got a LED 55 inch samsung that plays 3D and netflix just added 3D streaming. I cant wait for more to come. Ive watched piranha, immortals, some biking show and another one about the ocean. It all looks fantastic.
Luludoobee is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
joed32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luludoobee View Post

Ive been watching netflix 3d movies and shows for about two weeks now and its awesome. I just recently got a LED 55 inch samsung that plays 3D and netflix just added 3D streaming. I cant wait for more to come. Ive watched piranha, immortals, some biking show and another one about the ocean. It all looks fantastic.

Where are you finding these?
joed32 is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
sparky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: reno,nv.
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
DREDD is 3D at Netflix. What ever the studio that put it out only did so on a 2d/3D disc. I watched in 3D last week.

mark
sparky7 is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 AM
Member
 
BLWTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can confirm that Dredd is 3D via Netflix Bluray rental. It has been the only 3D Bluray I have ever received from Netflix. It is not marked as 3D on the netflix website.
BLWTX is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
joed32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
They're supposed to start streaming 3D. Dredd has the 2D and 3D on the same disk so they have no choice but to send out that disk. I thought that the one poster said that he had found several titles with 3D available for streaming.
joed32 is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DerekinMerrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3dparty.org is the best one. I just did the blockbuster trial. They have some good ones but not that many. You need to find a site that has just 3d movies. I just signed up there. Movies shipped in one day!!
DerekinMerrick is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 06-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Newbie
 
SL74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do not use 3dparty.org. I asked them to cancel my subscription over 2 months ago because shipping was too slow and I've been charged twice since then. They've been ignoring my requests for cancellation and refund. They don't even bother replying. This is a one man operation and it shows. The worst part is, it's not an honest man either. He's a thief and he's scum!
SL74 is offline  
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off