post #2 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech5635 View Post

Anyone watch this yet in 3d? Thoughts?

I watched a little bit of it. I saw this in the theaters and to me, it seemed more in your face at the theater than at home.
post #3 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 03:34 PM

I've watched about 15 mins of it but then I had to go do something for the wifey. Will watch the rest when I get home. Mostly just a lot of smoke coming at me so far haha

EDIT: watched the whole movie last night with the wife. We were both fans of the original and liked the other 2 actors that they brought in to play their best friends. It was kinda hard to watch not because of the plot or the 3d but b/c of it being such awkard situations but that is just like the previous ones.

I thought the 3d was excellent. Great use of the 3d imho. A lot of pop. eggs, food from blow up food cart, glass breaking, tons of smoke coming out of the screen so much so that i got a contact buzz from it haha. I didnt laugh as much as the previous 2 but it did find it enjoyable and will def be showing it to some of my lifted friends.
post #4 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMed View Post

I've watched about 15 mins of it but then I had to go do something for the wifey. Will watch the rest when I get home. Mostly just a lot of smoke coming at me so far haha

oo la la ! Do tell !
post #5 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 PM

Is this worth the $30 for the 3D, or another mindless stoner flick? I could spend the money for the 'real thing' and get a mind blowing experience for sure!
post #6 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM

I didnt think the 3d was that great. A liitle dull.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 PM

Liked: 11
Very few LOL moments in this movie and a bit of a disappointment. The 3D is ok, but doesn't pop out at you as you might hope. That could just be a limitation of the smaller tv screens (vs theater), viewing distance etc.

Rob
post #8 of 27 Old 02-08-2012, 04:05 AM

Liked: 18
Yes, the 3D effects were only fair. The movie itself had a few funny moments, but not nearly as outrageous as the first two.

This one will be a bargain bin movie soon.
post #9 of 27 Old 02-08-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaC View Post

Yes, the 3D effects were only fair. The movie itself had a few funny moments, but not nearly as outrageous as the first two.

This one will be a bargain bin movie soon.

I agree
post #10 of 27 Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I disagree as I thought the 3D was very good with lots of popout. You had to duck as the eggs splatterd in your face. The Christmas theme enabled colorful scenes. The couple who watched the movie on my 92'' DLP Mitsubishi enjoyed the movie even if it was not as good as the previous two. The movie was made for 3D and does not hesistate to flaunt it.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Totally disgaree with the above poster

The movie was boring and a big disappointment. The jokes were very few and far between and thats being generous. I had to fight the urge to shut this movie off all the way through.
As far as the 3D, the egg scene was ok, but the rest was disappointing as well. I never saw this in the theatres so i cannot comment on the pop out in theatres. But at home the there was no pop out, it was weird. For example you could see when Neil Patrick-Harris was pointing the candy cane towards you, this was meant to pop right out of the screen. And maybe it did in theatres but at home it was barely pertruding from the screen. Terrible waste of time, not worth a rental and definately not worth a purchase and i was so looking forward to this
post #12 of 27 Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM

WOW, im glad i didnt have time to go to BB and grab this yesterday. I was really looking forward to this one, as it turns out, i wont be picking it up.

Shawn
post #13 of 27 Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post

Totally disgaree with the above poster

The movie was boring and a big disappointment. The jokes were very few and far between and thats being generous. I had to fight the urge to shut this movie off all the way through.
As far as the 3D, the egg scene was ok, but the rest was disappointing as well. I never saw this in the theatres so i cannot comment on the pop out in theatres. But at home the there was no pop out, it was weird. For example you could see when Neil Patrick-Harris was pointing the candy cane towards you, this was meant to pop right out of the screen. And maybe it did in theatres but at home it was barely pertruding from the screen. Terrible waste of time, not worth a rental and definately not worth a purchase and i was so looking forward to this

I did not see nearly as much "pop out" as I had expected either.
I could have lived with the meh 3D effects if the story was good, but it seemed like they could not decide whether to be a raunchy comedy, or a nice family type christmas movie.

I cringed at the "wafflebot" scene later in the movie thinking how they ripped that idea off from Jinx the robot in "Space Camp"
post #14 of 27 Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Wow. Well, now I am embarrassed to say that I really loved this movie and was laughing out loud a lot, which is rare for me with a comedy. Granted, I never saw the first two, so I had no expectations coming into this one. I'll definitely make every effort to check them out knowing they are more funny than this.

I also thought the 3D was perfectly enjoyable. Maybe not the greatest, but for a live-action movie, very well done. I only noticed a few instances of ghosting, which for my TV is usually an issue.

"Your coke baby has superpowers!"

"They serve pancakes in hell."

Many other great lines.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #15 of 27 Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
If you do not believe my positive review check out the formal indepth review in the post "Harold and Kumar" by PennyDanny a dozen posts earlier by Home theater forum.
post #16 of 27 Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Here's is what is ironic about "pop out". The side effect to this pop out, which is unnatural, is often eyestrain and head aches for some and so I believe that there is and has been an attempt to minimize this for mass public consumption. Transfers like Sammy's Adventures, which has quite a bit of "negative parallax" are criticized for this "out of the screen" effect. I like it if used judiciously. A number of the IMAX documentaries have substantial pop out as well, and again they have been criticized for this. Most of the IMAX documentaries have far more "in your face" 3D, IMO, than most Hollywood 3D movies. I believe that Hollywood has consciously attempted to reign in "pop out" being the use of negative parallax in an attempt to avoid criticism -- novelty, gimmickry etc.

http://depthbeyond.com/blog/?p=83
post #17 of 27 Old 02-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaC View Post

it seemed like they could not decide whether to be a raunchy comedy, or a nice family type christmas movie.

Really??? If they edited this movie down to be a "nice family type Christmas movie" it would be 3 minutes long.

My girlfriend and I loved it.
post #18 of 27 Old 02-11-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We watched H&K last night on my HW30 and thought the 3D was great. I only saw one instance of ghosting, when the baby Jesus came flying out of the screen and winked. This was only for a split second, and other then that I thought it was pretty much perfect.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #19 of 27 Old 02-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

I also watched this last night on my HW30 and agree that the 3D was great. I wasn't expecting much after reading some the posts here, so maybe it is the difference of viewing on a 106" screen vs. something much smaller.

I probably didn't laugh as much as I did with the first two, but NPH once again is hilarious... and I want a Waffle Bot.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 AM

Just finished watching this. The 3D was great. Pretty funny movie. I love depth in 3D films, but I love the silly pop out effect so much!!!
post #21 of 27 Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I actually noticed a fair amount of crosstalk in this one. Most scenes were razor sharp, where others were just distracting. The opening titles are a good example, also the shot where Harold is picturing himself as an Asian gang leader walking toward the samera.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #22 of 27 Old 02-14-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

I actually noticed a fair amount of crosstalk in this one. Most scenes were razor sharp, where others were just distracting. The opening titles are a good example, also the shot where Harold is picturing himself as an Asian gang leader walking toward the samera.

There was absolutely NO crosstalk on my DLP projector. The source material is fine.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-14-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I watched this last night and thought it was just OK. The other 2 movies were funnier than this one.
I was kinda disapointed in the 3D and wanted MORE popout, yea some was there but many scenes had a chance to have popout and didn't... For instance when Harolds assistant brought in the Sharp 3D TV and then pointed both his hands out, it should have extended outa the screen.. It was a perfect moment for it, and you wanted it.. BUT... Nope..
The glass breaking was good and the eggs were alright. Though I wish the eggs really came out more, was kinda dull.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #24 of 27 Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 PM

Saw it in theaters, and now at home. It is a fun, in your face movie. Its target audience will enjoy the 3d to the fullest, all others need not bother.
post #25 of 27 Old 03-20-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

i did not see any crosstalk in that scene.
post #26 of 27 Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It is a stoner comedy people, and the thrid one in the franchise at that.
Compared to other Part 3's in this genre? It ranks with the best of them.

I caught a little of it in 2D at a friends before screening it in 3D in my own theater. My suggestion? I highly reccomend seeing it in 3D.
post #27 of 27 Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The only thing that looked good was the scene where they smoke weed and turn into claymation. Whoever filmed that knew his stereography. The guys who shot the live action knew F-all about 3D.
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page